How good is our roster ?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ajb44

Rookie
Name
Alex
I obviously love Todd but if my eyes aren't mistaken he is noticeably slower and less explosive this year. How does that happen? How can you regress. I expected him being fresh no acl injury to come out blazing. But he looks slower to me. Bad O line or not, I don't see the same bursts.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I obviously love Todd but if my eyes aren't mistaken he is noticeably slower and less explosive this year. How does that happen? How can you regress. I expected him being fresh no acl injury to come out blazing. But he looks slower to me. Bad O line or not, I don't see the same bursts.
I totally agree. I know the OL has sucked and the paly calling .... below avg-poor ... but he just doesn't seem to have either the burst or the vision to see even the slightest openings that a great back will and can find. This year it looks like he is just getting the handoff and then lowering his head/shoulders into the pile. For whatever reason, that was not the guy we saw last season

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I may be a lone wolf on this one..... but i believe we are a 11 and 5 to 12 and 4 team on paper.... but we have under achieved or not fully developed. ... we are still the youngest team in the NFL and with the right coaches this could turn around in a heartbeat. .....;)

Go Rams......... ;)

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

How can we possibly make any judgement on the offensive players?

Fisher, cignetti, boras.

These were the brilliant offensive minds guiding the offense the last two seasons. I wouldn't have a clue what the ceiling of the offensive players are with the scheme they had to work with. I hope the new oc has a scheme which allows the players to shine.

Ajb44

Rookie
Name
Alex

How can we possibly make any judgement on the offensive players?

Fisher, cignetti, boras.

These were the brilliant offensive minds guiding the offense the last two seasons. I wouldn't have a clue what the ceiling of the offensive players are with the scheme they had to work with. I hope the new oc has a scheme which allows the players to shine.

I hope so. Tavon would be an Allstar in Atlanta. Look how they use Gabriel...who was CUT from the BROWNS

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I may be a lone wolf on this one..... but i believe we are a 11 and 5 to 12 and 4 team on paper.... but we have under achieved or not fully developed. ... we are still the youngest team in the NFL and with the right coaches this could turn around in a heartbeat. .....;)

Go Rams......... ;)

I happen to agree rams56.... For me this young roster with a new formidable coaching staff in 2017, is capable of 10-11 wins on paper. I have no idea what to expect in the new HC's first year on the job but I believe if he's the right selection the core roster pieces gives him a great chance to succeed quickly.

With a few infusions of Free Agent hits and some wise draft picks (even without having a first rounder) can really change the culture of this team in a heartbeat.

Their overall depth has some big question marks but I see more talent than the 4-9 record indicates.

I don't think you're a lone WOLF on this belief......

You very well might be pack leader though :cool:

808e4273ba8e4a1634f36fe24cce7809.gif

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I happen to agree rams56.... For me this young roster with a new formidable coaching staff in 2017, is capable of 10-11 wins on paper. I have no idea what to expect in the new HC's first year on the job but I believe if he's the right selection the core roster pieces gives him a great chance to succeed quickly.

With a few infusions of Free Agent hits and some wise draft picks (even without having a first rounder) can really change the culture of this team in a heartbeat.

Their overall depth has some big question marks but I see more talent than the 4-9 record indicates.

I don't think you're a lone WOLF on this belief......

You very well might be pack leader though :cool:

808e4273ba8e4a1634f36fe24cce7809.gif

I have to disagree with yours and rams56 post. Florida appears to be saying two different things; one that he agrees with rams56 on an 11-5 or 12-4 season with the current roster, and another saying an infusion of new free agent help will get us there. I do agree that a different coaching staff may have gotten a few more wins, but 11-5 or 12-4 ? No.
From the beginning we were behind due to the QB transition, what should have been a permanent back-up in Keenum to a 'not ready for prime time' # 1 draft pick. Our O-Line was made up from a 2015 panic draft of wishful thinking. Before that we drafted a LT known to be a work in progress, and that continues to this day. 4 years ago Fisher's drafts were fairly well regarded as his intention was to build an already awful team thru the draft, but after 5 years of Fisher, he's apparently still trying to accomplish the same feat. We've had the youngest team in the NFL for 4 straight years and our many mistakes in execution and penalties is what we have to show for it, ... and we lost some solid young talent to free agency while not developing our youngest players. Guys like Brown, Wichmann & Donnal might make for good depth, but instant starters ? No. Barnes & Rhaney 1 & 2 at Center ? No. Our receivers have been an issue for several years, both WR's & TE's, it's like we are trying to shove a square peg thru a round hole, year after year. Our defense struggles nearly every game because we are either trailing early or because our offense can't stay on the field long enough to provide a breather for the D, although both are usually the case. Harkey has all but disappeared this season, Kendricks isn't much of a factor, Austin still isn't getting the ball in his hands often enough, the drops, turnovers & penalties continue to plague us.
I can say this, our new HC & OC will have something to build around in Goff, Gurley, Havenstein, & Austin. Perhaps a couple of our young receivers work out & maybe some of our offensive linemen can manage at deep depth, but this team needs some quality offensive starters added while hanging on to our defensive talent, and soon if we are to get the most out of what we already have. jmo.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

My theory is the weight loss in the offseason. He said he shed about 10 pounds, and on a guy like that (with minuscule amounts of body fat), that 10 pounds is almost all muscle. My offseason regiment for Todd would be to by a truckload of protein shakes and hit the weight room to add back that 10 pounds of muscle.

But again, it's just my theory, and it's worth every dollar you paid me to put it here ;)

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I have to disagree with yours and rams56 post. Florida appears to be saying two different things; one that he agrees with rams56 on an 11-5 or 12-4 season with the current roster, and another saying an infusion of new free agent help will get us there. I do agree that a different coaching staff may have gotten a few more wins, but 11-5 or 12-4 ? No.

I did throw in the few F/A hits and solid draft to go with the core pieces... I said 10- 11 wins and I also have Goff on a higher pedestal than many do, so I took that into account on my generic evaluation.... Maybe I should've been more specific about only referring to what I foresee the 2017 roster with a few tweaks combined with who's still on the roster from the 2016 squad..

I still think this 2016 roster has more talent than what their final W L record will indicate..

I think/thought @rams56 was more referring to W L on paper for 2017 to be, along with the carry over from this roster..... I can't speak for him but that is how I took his post..

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
you can't tell....

One sport that really relies on coaching...is football...lets see what the new coach thinks.

but some have said, we're 4-9....and that's what we are...that's what the talent is...

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
JMHO, but I think we underestimate the impact a quality coach can make. This roster was led into the dumps primarily because of terrible, way below average qb play. We lost to SF 28 - 0, does that mean we're that much worse than them; a team who has not won another since beating us. QB play withstanding, this team was capable of winning at least 10 games. The roster can be upgraded for sure------that's what every off-season is for------but this is definitely not a 4 - 9 roster. Compare this roster to the one Fisher inherited; that team won what 7 games? In this day and age, how does an offensive team average less than 15 points per game; the coaches deserve at least some blame for that. A SB contending roster------no, but a playoff contending roster-----hell yeah!

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

He's also not seeing things as well as he did last year.
I have seen him on multiple plays where there was a hole and he ran into the pile.
Not sure why, but his vision/decisions are not what they were even last year.

Coaching?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's also not seeing things as well as he did last year.
I have seen him on multiple plays where there was a hole and he ran into the pile.
Not sure why, but his vision/decisions are not what they were even last year.

Coaching?

I mentioned this in another thread, but it can be a bit misleading when you're trying to judge runs without watching the All-22. Things might not be what they appear to be. Todd isn't perfect. I'm sure he's made some mistakes this year. But I don't think his vision has regressed from last year.

FRO

Legend
From the beginning we were behind due to the QB transition, what should have been a permanent back-up in Keenum to a 'not ready for prime time' # 1 draft pick. Our O-Line was made up from a 2015 panic draft of wishful thinking. Before that we drafted a LT known to be a work in progress, and that continues to this day. 4 years ago Fisher's drafts were fairly well regarded as his intention was to build an already awful team thru the draft, but after 5 years of Fisher, he's apparently still trying to accomplish the same feat. We've had the youngest team in the NFL for 4 straight years and our many mistakes in execution and penalties is what we have to show for it, ... and we lost some solid young talent to free agency while not developing our youngest players. Guys like Brown, Wichmann & Donnal might make for good depth, but instant starters ? No. Barnes & Rhaney 1 & 2 at Center ? No. Our receivers have been an issue for several years, both WR's & TE's, it's like we are trying to shove a square peg thru a round hole, year after year. Our defense struggles nearly every game because we are either trailing early or because our offense can't stay on the field long enough to provide a breather for the D, although both are usually the case. Harkey has all but disappeared this season, Kendricks isn't much of a factor, Austin still isn't getting the ball in his hands often enough, the drops, turnovers & penalties continue to plague us.
I can say this, our new HC & OC will have something to build around in Goff, Gurley, Havenstein, & Austin. Perhaps a couple of our young receivers work out & maybe some of our offensive linemen can manage at deep depth, but this team needs some quality offensive starters added while hanging on to our defensive talent, and soon if we are to get the most out of what we already have. jmo.
Total agreement with this, although I'm not really confident in Austin going forward. His inability to run consistently good routes in year 4 is disturbing to me. This team has a much better foundation that the 2012, 2009 teams did by far. It's still a ways off from 11-5/12-4.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
With a new staff you are looking at a minimum of 2018 before they produce. The roster isn't going to be flushed or rebuilt in one off season and what ever new schemes are brought will get installed but not run well in the first year.

Still have to wait and see who the new HC is and who else is replaced but it means not many jobs are safe. Some guys won't fit some will want to leave in free agency.

Maybe when the new stadium opens they'll be competitive again.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With a new staff you are looking at a minimum of 2018 before they produce. The roster isn't going to be flushed or rebuilt in one off season and what ever new schemes are brought will get installed but not run well in the first year.

Still have to wait and see who the new HC is and who else is replaced but it means not many jobs are safe. Some guys won't fit some will want to leave in free agency.

Maybe when the new stadium opens they'll be competitive again.
i dunno Harbaugh turned the niners round pretty quicky ...get the right gut in here and who knows ..lets face it any record above 7-9 is an improvement from here on in

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
i dunno Harbaugh turned the niners round pretty quicky ...get the right gut in here and who knows ..lets face it any record above 7-9 is an improvement from here on in
Anything is possible but I think this team is lacking too much in the trenches. At least 3 Oline starters and 1 WR our DEs are average Quinn maybe done, LB crew may not even be average and the secondary has 1 guy who is above average. No depth except maybe RB, Kenndricks drops too many passes and Higbee has not impressed me.

New HC, new OC, new DC they'll bring their own guys and will want to rebuild.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anything is possible but I think this team is lacking too much in the trenches. At least 3 Oline starters and 1 WR our DEs are average Quinn maybe done, LB crew may not even be average and the secondary has 1 guy who is above average. No depth except maybe RB, Kenndricks drops too many passes and Higbee has not impressed me.

New HC, new OC, new DC they'll bring their own guys and will want to rebuild.
I Agree about the oline shame..fish and co let Kush go he is playing well in chi town i believe..id be down for trading Quinn for a 1st while he has value

most teams dont have superstars at every position..there are a few teams have late rounders starting and playing well its not beyond the realms of possiblity of turning this roster round with a good FA and draft