How do we keep OBJ??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
It's not about Woods vs OBJ as much as it is about keeping OBJ and then taking a hit somewhere else on the roster.

Key will be Stafford getting a new deal and taking less than market so they can then structure it so his first yr is minimal in terms of cap hit.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
"So, Matthew... how much cap flexibility will you provide in exchange for having Cooper Kupp, OBJ, Robert Woods and Van Jefferson as your targets next year?"

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OBJ is having the most fun of his career right here playing for a ring. Maybe he won't want to leave and a deal can be worked out. Playing in LA also has its perks off the field. He might like rubbing elbows with the stars.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
"So, Matthew... how much cap flexibility will you provide in exchange for having Cooper Kupp, OBJ, Robert Woods and Van Jefferson as your targets next year?"
Well...since I'm fifth* on the all time NFL earnings list, I'm very flexible.

Talk to me.

* behind Brady, Big Ben, Matt Ryan and Rodgers

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That is definitely a great way to start the conversation. :laugh1:

Ellard80

Legend
there aint enough targets for kupp,woods,jefferson and obj together.

Unless you want to go spread run and gun atlanta falcons 91 style... Houston Oilers also

Last edited:

dang

Legend
That draft pick continues to look so, so awful.
Hind sight is 20/20. I believe a number of people on this forum were beating the drum for Eskridge who went to the Shecocks. How did he do this year? Point being you never know snd don’t hit on every pick.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Precisely. I love Pat McAfee's recent rant on it, talking about how some teams act like the cap is gospel and others it doesn't apply to. Rams do whatever they want with the cap.

Remember when the 9ers were that team with Eddie Debartolo? And we were the bitter fans whose team abided by the cap? Yeah I don't miss those days at all.
so many fans fail to realize how easy it is to maneuver and manipulate the cap, and its gotten even easier with the new voidable years trick everyone started doing last offseason

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Woods is a top 20-25 WR in the league and incredibly versatile. He still has 3-4 very productive years left in him I'd say. Never had injury issues ever before this freak ACL tear. I personally don't think demand will be the issue if we want to move on from him. Cap and money complications? Sure, maybe. But tons of teams would love to have Woods as their #2. He's better than a handful of teams #1 WR too. I think his respect around the NFL with players and coaches is much higher than the NFL fan gives him credit for. I understand the salary being a sticking point though. Just depends if our FO can work the cap magic.
I see that objectivity is not going to be used here, so I'll just say, Lol. Top 20-25? Too funny. Love Bobby Trees, but your post should be in blue font

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
there aint enough targets for kupp,woods,jefferson and obj together.

Unless you want to go spread run and gun atlanta falcons 91 style... Houston Oilers also
I agree. Woods was chirping about his lack of targets (and let's be honest they were no where close to Kupp's) BEFORE OBJ showed up.
IMO he will not be happy with table scraps and leftovers as he'll be competing with V. Jeff for time and targets.
Now I highly doubt Woodsy pulls a Djax as he actually has some class, but it doesn't look like a good situation for all concerned to be honest.

~ArkyRamsFan~

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Hind sight is 20/20. I believe a number of people on this forum were beating the drum for Eskridge who went to the Shecocks. How did he do this year? Point being you never know snd don’t hit on every pick.

I was screaming for Bolton and then Darden with the third round pick. That was my hindsight, and you can quote my many "fucks" when he went to the Chiefs.

Ram65

Legend
Nice thread.

I remember here at ROD talks before the season that the Rams would have to lose Kupp or Woods in 2022. I wanted to keep both.

Now, it's how can the Rams keep Kupp, Woods, and OBJ. It would be great if they could. As it is the Rams are top-heavy with big cap hits at the top of the roster. That's will out Von Miller and others that will be free agents. It also hurt depth as we have seen.

I don't see how trading Woods saves any significant money but, maybe someone can figure it out. I'm not sure if the roster bonus can be taken on by another team.

It's really hard to figure out until we see some other pieces fall into place such as Staffords contract and the new cap amount. I would doubt they could keep all three. It is fun to think about it.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
No way dude. I'm hittin it hard as F now. Gonna be a looooong night always sleep like shit after a big win like this. :fistbump1:
Its funny I can sleep like a baby after a bad loss. I wake up every two hours and start crying. :bigcry:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
so many fans fail to realize how easy it is to maneuver and manipulate the cap, and its gotten even easier with the new voidable years trick everyone started doing last offseason
Voidable years doesnt mean a thing when you're talking about 50-60 mill in guaranteed money and a monster signing bonus

dang

Legend
The best way to keep everyone? Win. Make it to a Super Bowl and many players will want to try and run it back. Look at Tampa Bay. They brought back darn near everybody. Some might even take a discount to do it. I do suspect Whitworth would retire if the Rams win it all, but who knows.
All I can say is good problem to have. Like picking from a Chicken House lineup full of Ukrainian models.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Les will find a way to keep obj, Woods, and Miller. It may be in bonuses or easily reached incentives but the best thing for the rams is to have those guys on the roster in 22. They will figure it out. I am done trying to 2nd guess how they can keep players they really want so I believe this will happen, especially when we win the superbowl.