How concerned are you with our WRs?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I'm just hoping Snisher is a better evaluator of talent than I am.

If Quick and Pead both bust, that would suck. I'm pretty much sold on Pead being a bust.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yea, I have some concerns because they're not proven. But nothing can be done to change that. I believe in Austin. I think Pettis is solid enough. Givens is likely what he is(a deep threat). I really think highly of Stedman once he gets off his suspension.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm just hoping Snisher is a better evaluator of talent than I am.

If Quick and Pead both bust, that would suck. I'm pretty much sold on Pead being a bust.
It's certainly possible that he could bust, but that's not out of the ordinary for any team. Just curious though ... did you do any scouting of Pead prior to the draft that year? Or after? Meaning, the available film of him at Cincinnati. I didn't see any indication that he would be a bad RB, but of course the one thing you can't account for is the mental aspect (dedication, acuity) of a player.

RamzFanz

Damnit
It's certainly possible that he could bust, but that's not out of the ordinary for any team. Just curious though ... did you do any scouting of Pead prior to the draft that year? Or after? Meaning, the available film of him at Cincinnati. I didn't see any indication that he would be a bad RB, but of course the one thing you can't account for is the mental aspect (dedication, acuity) of a player.

Nope. I didn't scout him at all. I hope I'm wrong and he emerges but it shouldn't take this long for a RB.

If he's their biggest bust, they're doing great.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
As FRO said, if Pead is so talented why try to trade him? Why give Stacy first crack at the starting job after Richardson proved ineffective? Why go with Cunningham as back up RB over Pead? Why draft Mason?

If Quick has all the physical talent why did his snaps decrees as the season went on in favour of someone who showed the ability to catch the ball?

Either they made a mistake in drafting the two or they made a mistake in drafting replacements/reducing their role. Which is it?

You can't seriously be asking why Stacy over Pead? They switched to a POWER rushing attack, more suited for a bigger RB. Same as for Cunningham. But yet, when they were in a 3rd down, or passing situation, it was PEAD, not either one of the rookies who was on the field for pass protection. But I suppose that is totally insignificant to you, because he wasn't given the carries.

Quick's snap counts weren't effected one way of another by Bailey's emergence. In fact, the biggest factor on Bailey's snaps increasing was Austin's injury.

Either you don't understand that different players serve different roles within an offense, or you are just looking for an argument. Just because they are listed as WR's doesn't mean they play the same position, or serve the same role in this offense. I would guess you are smart enough to know that already, so that leaves the latter.

V3

Hall of Fame
Which lends to the theory that this isn't a group of receivers that play second fiddle to a "#1." This is a group of receivers who, when employed in very specific sub-packages, can all fill specific roles and open up opportunities for each other. I don't know why you'd suggest they go to other options when I just gave you stats to support the idea that he's a chain mover. What would be the point in fixing what's not broken?

If that's all they can do with WR's that they've taken high in the draft, they need to figure out what they're doing wrong in the pre-draft evaluations. You don't spend high picks on role playing WR's.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Nope. I didn't scout him at all. I hope I'm wrong and he emerges but it shouldn't take this long for a RB.

If he's their biggest bust, they're doing great.
Agreed, and that's why I posed the question to Demoff. It's confusing to me why he hasn't emerged yet, but that's only based on what I saw of him at Cincy. I thought he had ridiculous lateral movement, vision, and quickness, and I suppose that's what they saw out of him too, but for whatever reason his game hasn't translated.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
If that's all they can do with WR's that they've taken high in the draft, they need to figure out what they're doing wrong in the pre-draft evaluations. You don't spend high picks on role playing WR's.
That's not all they can do with them. That's what they choose to do with them. And where is this written rule about how, when, or why you take receivers?

RamzFanz

Damnit
You can't seriously be asking why Stacy over Pead? They switched to a POWER rushing attack, more suited for a bigger RB. Same as for Cunningham. But yet, when they were in a 3rd down, or passing situation, it was PEAD, not either one of the rookies who was on the field for pass protection. But I suppose that is totally insignificant to you, because he wasn't given the carries.

Quick's snap counts weren't effected one way of another by Bailey's emergence. In fact, the biggest factor on Bailey's snaps increasing was Austin's injury.

Either you don't understand that different players serve different roles within an offense, or you are just looking for an argument. Just because they are listed as WR's doesn't mean they play the same position, or serve the same role in this offense. I would guess you are smart enough to know that already, so that leaves the latter.

Wait... weren't you preaching that Bailey could only play in Givens role?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
That's not all they can do with them. That's what they choose to do with them. And where is this written rule about how, when, or why you take receivers?
And Tavon's being picked high was a product of some of the unwritten rules of drafting changing. He's not a #1, but he's not just a "role player" either.

BeerOClock

Rookie
IMHO:
1) I wasn't worried at all about the Ram's WR corp until Bailey's suspension. I figured rolling the dice on either Britt staying healthy/clean AND/OR Quick developing the ability to separate AND/OR Bailey developing into a gamer--getting a favorable roll on at least one was pretty good odds. Since Bailey's suspension will hurt his development, not to mention his standing with Fisher (see Jo Lon Dunbar)--the odds have been reduced to something less than favorable.

2) With everything the Rams did in off-season, it's clear the Rams have shelved the fans' hope of becoming the next generation of The Greatest Show on Turf. Robinson-not Matthews/Watkins, Mason-not a WR, Schottenheimer-not any other available OC, Defense, Defense, Defense. With Mason and Stacy successfully running the ball 35 times a game and a dominant defense, the need for an elite receiving corp is somewhat diminished, no? It worked for Seattle and San Francisco and Fisher has clearly jumped on that ship.

3) Ball control is what Schottenheimer does best, which is why the Zac Stacy emerged last year and the Rams played respectively after Bradford went down. Bradford's injury forced the Rams to go to a ball control offense. The pick of Robinson and Mason clearly shows that Fisher and Schottenheimer are thinking ball control first with the ability to quick strike through the air at a moments notice.

4) The name of the game in ball control is field position, which requires a dominating defense (check, by adding Greg Williams, Donald, Joyner) and elite special teams (big check if and when they get the penalties down). Take away the penalties, add a year of experience and the Rams arguably have the best special teams in football (Minnesota and the 49ers can give good arguments).

5) Wasn't Tavon Austin supposed to be the answer for the Rams' game-breaking WR needs? At least that's what I heard a billion times before and after he was drafted (heard a lot of other crap, but let's ignore that).

6) Jared Cook also gives the Rams a powerful dynamic playing the slot. Too bad he can't block a limping girl scout as a TE, but I guess that's a different story.

7) Givens, with Bradford healthy, a good offensive line and a good #1 receiver, would be an excellent #2. He's very fast, stretching the field and he's proven he can catch underneath (see second 49'ers game, 2012). He was never meant to be a true #1 (see Tavon Austin).

8) Pettis is a Schottenheimer staple. He blocks well, has tremendous hands and runs his routes well. Name another receiver on the Rams roster that does all three of those? Bailey will in the future, I believe. TJ Moe, very well may (and why he was brought in). You won't see Pettis on very many highlight reels but he does bring a smile to Schottenheimer's face. Every time Austin or Givens dropped a pass or missed a block, or Quick ran a crappy route, it was Pettis trotting out on the field for a key play. If Pettis is cut, it will be because of the emergence of Bailey (now delayed) or Moe as Schottenheimers new security blankey.

Last edited:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Wait... weren't you preaching that Bailey could only play in Givens role?

I wasn't preaching, and if I made reference to Givens and Bailey playing the same position, its because they were all throughout training camp.
But what does that have to do with Quick or Bailey's reps having more to do with Austin's injury than him taking Quick's spot on the field?

CoachO

Hall of Fame

Or they are giving them the time to develop into more.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I wasn't preaching, and if I made reference to Givens and Bailey playing the same position, its because they were all throughout training camp.
But what does that have to do with Quick or Bailey's reps having more to do with Austin's injury than him taking Quick's spot on the field?

Just sayin'. I wanted them to give Bailey a shot and you said several times Bailey wouldn't be on the field unless Givens went down. That's it.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Just sayin'. I wanted them to give Bailey a shot and you said several times Bailey wouldn't be on the field unless Givens went down. That's it.

So I was wrong, it took Austin going down for his role to increase. That and Given's total lack of production.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
just another case of only addressing the perceived "miss" on two guys AFTER THE FACT, and ignoring all the other picks, be it via the draft or UDFA that they have managed to bring in that have completely turned over this roster in just 2 seasons. All because these TWO PLAYERS haven't lived up to someone's expectations in TWO seasons. Talk about the instant gratification crowd!

Lived up to WHOSE expectations? How about just about EVERYONE'S expectations for the #33 overall pick in the draft.

And no one is ignoring all the other picks, they did well with the others, but let's not go overboard just yet, not one of them has made the Pro Bowl just yet. And there were Pro Bowl players that they passed on.

We are trying to win a Super Bowl, are we not? Just being better than the previous regimes isn't all that impressive to me. And I do love how they've handled the draft since 2012, so this isn't about instant gratification. I'm just pointing out that they were a bit shaky in their first draft and it's understandable with a rookie GM.

wrstdude

Rookie
just another case of only addressing the perceived "miss" on two guys AFTER THE FACT, and ignoring all the other picks, be it via the draft or UDFA that they have managed to bring in that have completely turned over this roster in just 2 seasons. All because these TWO PLAYERS haven't lived up to someone's expectations in TWO seasons. Talk about the instant gratification crowd!
Don't you know that Snead is the only GM to miss on draft picks?

Additionally, I'd love to borrow the crystal ball that shows w/ 100% accuracy that Jeffery would be the same player in St. Louis as he is in Chicago. Playing opposite of Marshall certainly helps him; something he wouldn't have in Stl.

The truth is, we don't know what his contributions, or lack thereof would be.