Historical Failure

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I'm losing patience just as much as anyone. At some point all this young talent needs to be tapped into and used to its potential. I'm really hoping that a good/great team is just around the corner. I know we've been saying this for years now, but I think next year could be our year if we can fill our holes. The Rams have played to their potential for stretches of 1-2 quarters in multiple games this year against great teams this year, but you can't win most games in the NFL playing only 2 quarters. We need to learn how to play 4 quarters of consistent football in all 3 phases by minimizing penalties, turnovers, and other costly mistakes.

I get it. Long, Laurinaitis, Quinn, Brockers, TA, Tree, GRob, Donald, Jenkins, Johnson, McDonald, Joyner, Quick, Bailey, Kendricks, Mason; all early round picks still on the team. All this young talent and where has it gotten us? I think asking why we are where we are is an easy question with a difficult answer. There's no single answer. Defensive scheme issues? Offense becoming to conservative at times? TA not being utilized to his potential? Coaches failing to makes adjustments? I could go on and on.

Put me in the camp that thinks there may need to be a change at head coach. Sometimes I feel like the game is starting to pass coach Fisher by. I don't want to continue the 3 and out trend we have with coaches, but I also don't want to spend another year or two to realize we STILL aren't a playoff team (and I'm sure there will be a new slate of excuses then).

Sam tearing his ACL back to back years is EXTREMELY unfortunate, and although I didn't expect playoffs following his injury, we're still an incredibly talented team. WITHOUT Sam we were very competitive vs Dallas, Philly, & SF; all games one could argue we should have won. So to me the Sam injury doesn't apply in those games. I get that we'd be a better team w/Sam in those contests, but the bottom line is you play with the 46 you have out there and WE FAILED to find a way to win those 3 games we very much in.

I'll reserve judgement until week 17, but if this team plays as wildly inconsistent as we have for the first 7 games in the back 9, I see little reason for Fish's seat to be comfortable. 3 seasons of sub-.500 football isn't progress. Sadly two 7 win seasons is big news in this town though. You can't deny the talent we've acquired here, but Fish AT BEST deserves half of the credit. Imo if a change is made at HC I see no reason to relieve Snead of his duties. He's done nothing but bring great, young talent to STL in his 2+ years in STL via early round picks, late round finds, UDFA finds, and even some trades. Les has ACQUIRED the talent, but its not his job to DEVELOP it and PERFECT it.

Even someone with the pedigree of Coach Fisher will run out of excuses eventually. The truth is he's had 2 teams reach the playoffs in his last decade of coaching and those 2 teams 2007 and 2008 Titans. Coaches have done more with less talent than he's had here in 3 years. Look at Bruce Arians. He turned around a struggling, but talented team in one season into a 10-6, playoff worthy team. They still have some holes, but the guys filling in at the weak positions find a way to get it done. All the while doing it with CARSON PALMER.

Last point:

Here's some food for thought. The San Francisco 49ers had 8-straight losing seasons from 2003-2010. One can argue they lacked quality talent from 2003-2006, but they really started to acquire some very nice players between 2007-2010 (similar to us 2012-2014).

By 2010 the following players through the draft: Alex Smith, Gore, Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker, Crabtree, Staley, Iupati, Anthony Davis, Ray McDonald, Ahmad Brooks, Willis, Bowman, Dashon Goldson, and Andy Lee.

Many argued, and were correct, that they just needed the right coaching. Erickson, Nolan, and Singletary weren't the right guys, but the Nolan & Singletary regimes sure left Harbaugh some great talent.

I'd compare the current Rams to the 2010 49ers. A team GUSHING with talent, that just hasn't put all the pieces together yet. I think we're right around the corner, I'm just not sure if we have the right people (Fish, Schotty, GW) trying to complete the puzzle.

Sorry for the rant :LOL:

WvuIN02

Starter
It seems simple to me. You look at the teams leading the league in scoring....you have franchise QBs at the helm of almost every single team. The Rams haven't had that since Warner was here. Its a league of the haves and have nots.

St Louis fans are somewhat spoiled because Kurt Warner's story is the exception not the rule. IMO the Rams have to gamble on a guy like Winston if he's there...Austin Davis is just not it. You have to try to get that guy and SB can't be relied on.

Winston has proven it his career he has that it factor...on the field. Hopefully he can grow up but I think its a gamble worth the risk.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Rams are 4-3 if the defense had showed up. We beat Dallas & SF.
With Sam and a defense we're probably 5-2. I don't think the QB play has been that bad.

The offense has made some strides. It wasn't too long ago that this team was lucky to score 10 ppg.

The D needs to get much better. I think the offense is coming around, although we're still missing a franchise QB.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The offense has made some strides. It wasn't too long ago that this team was lucky to score 10 ppg.

You are correct; we were 32nd in points per game (2011) before Fisher's arrival. Denver was 25th, Indy 28th, and Kansas City 31st... That same year, BTW.

Where are we now?

2014: 19.4 (22nd)
2013: 21.8 (21st)
2012: 18.7 (25th)

For a team that was committed to finding resources for the offense, being in the lower third hardly inspires "making strides" for me. :sneaky:

To make the playoffs you need to be north of 24ppg.

I hate to change offenses again, but the data suggests we should.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
You are correct; we were 32nd in points per game (2011) before Fisher's arrival. Denver was 25th, Indy 28th, and Kansas City 31st... That same year, BTW.

Where are we now?

2014: 19.4 (22nd)
2013: 21.8 (21st)
2012: 18.7 (25th)

For a team that was committed to finding resources for the offense, being in the lower third hardly inspires "making strides" for me. :sneaky:

To make the playoffs you need to be north of 24ppg.

I hate to change offenses again, but the data suggests we should.
Good post. But...
I'd like to give this offense a franchise QB. I don't think we're as far from that type of ppg production (24ppg)as many think we are.

Ramathon

How many teams have 55 starting calibre players? That's rediculous.

And if the Niners Lost three interior linemen, Kap, Aldon Smith, and Crabtree, they'd be a bad team. You're comparing apples and oranges in terms of health of the two teams. Not even close, man.

On the flip side, Give me Bradford, Long and quick back and we beat them.

So you're say ARZ is 100% legit? The have the best record in the league. I'd STILL be surprised if they make it to the post season.

Cowboys and Eagles are super legit? We already know we can hang with those phonies.

But apparently we're not crap because we don't have 55 starters and and we almost as bad as the Raiders because that's what our record says.

Just hold onto your seat, you got another thing comin'.

I'm sorry the concept of having the 55 most talented players leads to winning is a difficult concept for you to grasp. Are they all 'starting caliber' players. No, of course not. And I said nothing of the sort. But it is most definitely about overall depth across the entire roster....not just the "1's".

I'm perfectly fine with having a civil discussion. We're all just expressing opinions. And I'm sorry my assessment of the current state of the Rams 'talent' doesn't jibe with your pie in the sky 'if only we had all the good guys things would be so much different' perspective. Different strokes. But if you want to ratchet up the hostility in the discussion, go right ahead. Two can play that game.

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
It seems simple to me. You look at the teams leading the league in scoring....you have franchise QBs at the helm of almost every single team. The Rams haven't had that since Warner was here. Its a league of the haves and have nots.

St Louis fans are somewhat spoiled because Kurt Warner's story is the exception not the rule. IMO the Rams have to gamble on a guy like Winston if he's there...Austin Davis is just not it. You have to try to get that guy and SB can't be relied on.
t0
Winston has proven it his career he has that it factor...on the field. Hopefully he can grow up but I think its a gamble worth the risk.
Please read the story about Clowney and you will why that will be a huge mistake.Secondly,53 players plus 5 to 6 practice squad players complete the squad.Having said that,the quarterback is not and I repeat not the end all be all to a playoff team.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I'm losing patience just as much as anyone. At some point all this young talent needs to be tapped into and used to its potential. I'm really hoping that a good/great team is just around the corner. I know we've been saying this for years now, but I think next year could be our year if we can fill our holes. The Rams have played to their potential for stretches of 1-2 quarters in multiple games this year against great teams this year, but you can't win most games in the NFL playing only 2 quarters. We need to learn how to play 4 quarters of consistent football in all 3 phases by minimizing penalties, turnovers, and other costly mistakes.

I get it. Long, Laurinaitis, Quinn, Brockers, TA, Tree, GRob, Donald, Jenkins, Johnson, McDonald, Joyner, Quick, Bailey, Kendricks, Mason; all early round picks still on the team. All this young talent and where has it gotten us? I think asking why we are where we are is an easy question with a difficult answer. There's no single answer. Defensive scheme issues? Offense becoming to conservative at times? TA not being utilized to his potential? Coaches failing to makes adjustments? I could go on and on.

Put me in the camp that thinks there may need to be a change at head coach. Sometimes I feel like the game is starting to pass coach Fisher by. I don't want to continue the 3 and out trend we have with coaches, but I also don't want to spend another year or two to realize we STILL aren't a playoff team (and I'm sure there will be a new slate of excuses then).

Sam tearing his ACL back to back years is EXTREMELY unfortunate, and although I didn't expect playoffs following his injury, we're still an incredibly talented team. WITHOUT Sam we were very competitive vs Dallas, Philly, & SF; all games one could argue we should have won. So to me the Sam injury doesn't apply in those games. I get that we'd be a better team w/Sam in those contests, but the bottom line is you play with the 46 you have out there and WE FAILED to find a way to win those 3 games we very much in.

I'll reserve judgement until week 17, but if this team plays as wildly inconsistent as we have for the first 7 games in the back 9, I see little reason for Fish's seat to be comfortable. 3 seasons of sub-.500 football isn't progress. Sadly two 7 win seasons is big news in this town though. You can't deny the talent we've acquired here, but Fish AT BEST deserves half of the credit. Imo if a change is made at HC I see no reason to relieve Snead of his duties. He's done nothing but bring great, young talent to STL in his 2+ years in STL via early round picks, late round finds, UDFA finds, and even some trades. Les has ACQUIRED the talent, but its not his job to DEVELOP it and PERFECT it.

Even someone with the pedigree of Coach Fisher will run out of excuses eventually. The truth is he's had 2 teams reach the playoffs in his last decade of coaching and those 2 teams 2007 and 2008 Titans. Coaches have done more with less talent than he's had here in 3 years. Look at Bruce Arians. He turned around a struggling, but talented team in one season into a 10-6, playoff worthy team. They still have some holes, but the guys filling in at the weak positions find a way to get it done. All the while doing it with CARSON PALMER.

Last point:

Here's some food for thought. The San Francisco 49ers had 8-straight losing seasons from 2003-2010. One can argue they lacked quality talent from 2003-2006, but they really started to acquire some very nice players between 2007-2010 (similar to us 2012-2014).

By 2010 the following players through the draft: Alex Smith, Gore, Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker, Crabtree, Staley, Iupati, Anthony Davis, Ray McDonald, Ahmad Brooks, Willis, Bowman, Dashon Goldson, and Andy Lee.

Many argued, and were correct, that they just needed the right coaching. Erickson, Nolan, and Singletary weren't the right guys, but the Nolan & Singletary regimes sure left Harbaugh some great talent.

I'd compare the current Rams to the 2010 49ers. A team GUSHING with talent, that just hasn't put all the pieces together yet. I think we're right around the corner, I'm just not sure if we have the right people (Fish, Schotty, GW) trying to complete the puzzle.

Sorry for the rant :LOL:

A simply outstanding post, rams24/7.

Wish I had written it.

Not that you need any reinforcement for your post, but Bernie wrote a devastating article this week on this subject.

Of particular interest was the part about Fisher's anemic W/L record in his last 10 years. Absolutely devastating...

WvuIN02

Starter
Please read the story about Clowney and you will why that will be a huge mistake.Secondly,53 players plus 5 to 6 practice squad players complete the squad.Having said that,the quarterback is not and I repeat not the end all be all to a playoff team.

How many teams are winning the SB without a franchise QB?

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I'm sorry the concept of having the 55 most talented players leads to winning is a difficult concept for you to grasp. Are they all 'starting caliber' players. No, of course not. And I said nothing of the sort. But it is most definitely about overall depth across the entire roster....not just the "1's".

I'm perfectly fine with having a civil discussion. We're all just expressing opinions. And I'm sorry my assessment of the current state of the Rams 'talent' doesn't jibe with your pie in the sky 'if only we had all the good guys things would be so much different' perspective. Different strokes. But if you want to ratchet up the hostility in the discussion, go right ahead. Two can play that game.

Go find somebody else to listen to your crap. It no longer concerns me.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams will be on a 8-1 (loss only to Broncos) run after winning this weekend this season. All questions about players, coaching, front office will be answered by season's end.

i'll give you all but a few coins of my ROD credits if the rams roll an 8-1 to finish 10-6.