Historical Failure

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Does anyone know if having this many first round picks and ending up last in the division/NFL has historical precedence?

I'm not hoping for historical failure, but a record of recovery from failure. If Rams have set some worst ever record and emerge next season, I want to know!

I'm only guessing, but this has to be the biggest failures in NFL history.

The talent is wide and deep. Rams should be crushing teams.

lockdnram21

Legend
Does anyone know if having this many first round picks and ending up last in the division/NFL has historical precedence?

I'm not hoping for historical failure, but a record of recovery from failure. If Rams have set some worst ever record and emerge next season, I want to know!

I'm only guessing, but this has to be the biggest failures in NFL history.

we still have holes in important places especially on defense. we need 2 lbs (tree gets a pass 2nd year new scheme) maybe a number 1 corner and probably fs. most of our games woukd have been won if defense showed up. offense we need a whole interior line(cant depend on Saffold) if they fix those wholes we in the playoffs along with Qb

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Our defense was playing pretty damn good last year and now it's playing poorly in spite of adding some really good players, so GW is looking like the major mistake of the off season, unless they turn it around really quickly.

.The proof is in the pudding and our pudding is pretty damn watery right now.

lockdnram21

Legend
Our defense was playing pretty damn good last year and now it's playing poorly in spite of adding some really good players, so GW is looking like the major mistake of the off season, unless they turn it around really quickly.

Our defense was inconsistent just like it is this year. We had 2 games where our defense really showed up indy, saints, and chi. Besides that all the other games we won were lucky or against horrible teams

Philly5

Rookie
No doubt it has been a mostly rough 25 years. Lots of early picks along the way.

I don't think this roster is loaded with talent. Still young, so maybe we develop? After a few guys on the DL, how many on the rest of the roster would other teams really want?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I certainly expected more from a supposed defensive genius. Maybe his system is too complicated to learn in one year. Maybe some key pieces are just not all that smart and don't get it. Or maybe the whole bounty gate thing has taken some of Williams coaching moxie away.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
The injuries hurt a ton. Any other team with injuries in these key places would lose too. Picture the Broncos without Peyton Manning, Demarius Thomas, Ryan Clady, Aqib Talib, Chris Harris, and Demarcus Ware. We are fighting hard with such a crippled team.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The injuries hurt a ton. Any other team with injuries in these key places would lose too. Picture the Broncos without Peyton Manning, Demarius Thomas, Ryan Clady, Aqib Talib, Chris Harris, and Demarcus Ware. We are fighting hard with such a crippled team.

True but if you just look at the defense the injuries were to Chris Long and Trumaine Johnson for much of the season and the defense is what has been losing the games.

Ballhawk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Our defense was inconsistent just like it is this year. We had 2 games where our defense really showed up indy, saints, and chi. Besides that all the other games we won were lucky or against horrible teams
We had the 13th ranked defense last year and now we have the 21st. And we had way more turnovers and sacks.
And all of this after adding Donald, Joyner and Gaines!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Our defense was inconsistent just like it is this year.

Last season we gave up 27 points to the Browns, 27 to the Broncos, 31 to the Falcons, 31 to the Cowboys, 35 to the 49ers, 30 to the Panthers, 28 to the Titans, 30 to the Cardinals, and 27 to the Seahawks in our second game against them.

Yet we had games where we only gave up 13 points to the Bucs, 16 to the Saints, 14 points to the Seahawks, and 8 to the Colts. So yeah, inconsistent would be the correct term for that defense.

Ballhawk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Points allowed is a poor way to judge a defense as it is greatly affected by the situations that the whole team creates, such as field position due to fumbles, etc...

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Here is some historical information from DRAFTTEK regarding retention rates for players drafted by each team. http://www.drafttek.com/ConsolidatedNFLDraft2014-SWTb.asp?RequestTeam=stl#.VFOIqr5GivQ

We have retained toward the high end last three years and are near the bottom for the years 2009 to 2011. Does not take into account if a player is with another team.

Total Players drafted by ST LOUIS from 2012 to 2014 is : 28
Players Still on roster : 22
DPR Rate : 78.57%

Total Players drafted by ST LOUIS from 2012 to 2013 is : 17
Players Still on roster : 14
DPR Rate : 82.35%

Total Players drafted by ST LOUIS from 2009 to 2011 is : 26
Players Still on roster : 6
DPR Rate : 23.08%

Total Players drafted by ST LOUIS from 2009 to 2010 is : 18
Players Still on roster : 4
DPR Rate : 22.22%

ST LOUIS
Drafted 2009 to 2014 :59
Retained :33
Retention Rate :55.93%

Last edited:

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I thought that this was the year of NO EXCUSES....:confused:

Well, that was before Sam and C. Long went down. Mainly Sam, though.

Did anyone else get that powerfully depressing feeling when we first saw Sam on the deck grimacing and in pain that this season was over? I sure as heck did. Turns out that initial reaction is turning out to be the truth.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame

Did anyone else get that powerfully depressing feeling when we first saw Sam on the deck grimacing and in pain that this season was over? I sure as heck did. Turns out that initial reaction is turning out to be the truth.
You bet. It's just an ill omen to lose your starting quarterback in a preseason game.

That explains a lot, I've been wondering since it happened how we allowed Romo convert 3rd and 13, it was all Bradford not being on the field.

Ramathon

Why do people keep saying this. It pretty clearly isn't true, or they wouldn't look as pathetic as they do at times.

I can accept that some of the issue is youth. Injuries surely haven't helped. And coaching certainly can account for some . But sorry, I just don't buy that it's all coaching. Did the coaches ignore Quinn until last year and for the first 5 games this year? C'mon, really?!?! At some point, it comes down to players making plays. And when that doesn't happen for a game or 2, there could be specific reasons. But once you're 7 games into the season, talent shows and talent wins.

'Talent' may be wide & deep compared to the Rams team this regime took over, but compared to other 2014 NFL teams, it clearly isn't the case.