Hey Steelers - Stay the Hell Away From Tru

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
http://stillcurtain.com/2016/01/27/steelers-will-pittsburgh-make-a-move-to-sign-trumaine-johnson/

Steelers: Will Pittsburgh make a move to sign Trumaine Johnson?
by Jesse Kirkendall

The Pittsburgh Steelers enter the 2016 offseason desperately needing to upgrade their secondary if they wish to continue the recent success they have experienced by making the post season two years in a row after disappointing 8-8 seasons in 2012 and 2013.
The organization did not waste any time by signing cornerback Ross Cockrell to a one-year contract extension last week. A solid year as one of the biggest contributors in the Steelers’ secondary earned him the deal, but Cockrell alone will not solve the team’s issues at the position. Still without contracts are William Gay, Antwon Blake, and Brandon Boykin.

To put into perspective how much the Steelers’ secondary is in need of an upgrade, we turn to Blake as a prime example. In the sixteen regular season games he started, Blake gave up 1,074 yards in coverage and missed a total of 28 tackles. These are numbers that you never want to see from any athlete, especially one that is considered starting material. While there were a few bright spots from Blake this season, these moments were few and far between.

Steelers’ Nation will debate until the end of time that the most simple way to alleviate problems in the secondary is to select a cornerback in the first round of the upcoming draft. Collegiate playmakers such as Jaylen Ramsey, Vernon Hargreaves, and Mackensie Alexander will not be available when the Steelers make their selection at 25th overall, Tre’Davious White is returning to LSU for his senior year, and Eli Apple is too raw of a defensive back to be considered a top-32 talent.

To find a cornerback that will make an impact in their secondary for years to come, the Steelers must explore their options on the free agent market.

Carolina Panthers’ cornerback Josh Norman will be the most sought after defensive back when free agency begins in early March. The Panthers will most likely retain the star athlete but, in the event that they are unable to, he will command a heavy yearly price tag if any other team in the NFL wishes to enlist his services.

Do not expect the Steelers to be one of the teams to go after him.

Instead, they will be able to find prime talent in the same conference as Mr. Norman. Trumaine Johnson, one of two premiere Los Angeles Rams cornerbacks that are hitting the free agency market, could very well be the next great acquisition the Steelers have made for their secondary since bringing Mike Mitchell aboard in 2014.

When E.J. Gaines was sidelined before the start of the season with a Linsfranc injury in his foot that required surgery, Johnson was tasked with starting on the outside across from Janoris Jenkins. Suddenly thrust into a starting role, he answered the challenge by posting the best numbers of his four year career. Starting in thirteen games he made seven interceptions, defended seventeen passes, and recorded 71 total tackles, along with a lone fumble recovery.

Below is Johnson’s first interception in 2015, where he instinctively picks off a pass intended for running back Marshawn Lynch in the Rams’ week one game against the Seattle Seahawks.

Hailing from the NFC West, Johnson has matched up against some very talented receivers from within his division. Wideouts such as Larry Fitzgerald, Doug Baldwin, and Anquan Boldin are only a few of the wide receivers Johnson played against multiple times this season. Notable outer-conference opponents Johnson was paired up with this season were Antonio Brown, James Jones, Calvin Johnson, and Mike Evans. The talented corner put on a display that has not been seen in quite some time from a Steelers’ defensive back.

Perhaps the most impressive performance from Trumaine Johnson this year was when he held Calvin Johnson, better known as “Megatron”, without a catch when he was tasked to cover him in the Rams’ week fourteen matchup against the Detroit Lions. Returning to the field after missing two games due to a nagging quadriceps injury, the cornerback made the All-Pro receiver look helpless at times, and continued to make a name for himself as one of the better cover cornerbacks in the league.

Johnson’s intercepted pass intended for Megatron, his fifth of the season and only pick-six of 2015, was a brilliant display of what a talented cornerback can do for a defense. Reading quarterback Matthew Stafford from the beginning of the play, he timed his play on the ball as perfectly as possible and came away with the pick. The ensuing 42 yard return for a touchdown was a culmination of patience and allowing his blockers to take care of the work for him instead of attempting something that could potentially cause him to fumble.

Including Johnson, the Rams have a total of 21 free agents to address when the time comes at the start of the new league year. With Gaines returning from his foot injury and Jenkins looking as if he is the least expensive of the two free agent cornerbacks, it is unlikely that Los Angeles will extend him a new contract offer.

The Steelers will have some space in their salary cap this coming season to play the free agent market and offer a reasonable contract to an athlete. Even more so if they are able to restructure the contracts of Lawrence Timmons and Heath Miller, who have a combined $22 million in cap hits next season. Don’t expect the Steelers to outright cut either of these players, as they are both still important pieces of the offense and defense…only not as much as their contract dictates.

The Steelers are not a team known for making a big splash in the free agency market. Finding immense talent through the draft and promoting in-house has been the tried and true method in Pittsburgh for many years, but now may be the time to take a chance on a proven, blockbuster cornerback. If Antwon Blake is asked to cover A.J. Green once again in 2016, it could lead to a Steelers’ Nation revolt that will end with the burning of Fort Pitt Bridge.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
We already let them have K. Green and Bettis. Be happy with that and go away.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This is a good example of why the Rams will need to lock one of these CBs up before FA hits. Both are gonna get paid and how.

Psycho_X

Legend
Tru is going to be sought after by anyone who needs a CB. He's a pro bowl caliber player and its ridiculous we didn't resign him already. This offseason will be very interesting to watch... we finally have been developing players that other teams would actually want on their roster and we're possibly going to let some of them walk. Teams that win playoff games draft, develop, and retain their studs.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
So he was suddenly thrust into a starting role? I don't think so. Either way, we need to keep Tru.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Tru is from NorCal so hopefully he would prefer to play in LA so his mother can attend his home games.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
So he was suddenly thrust into a starting role? I don't think so. Either way, we need to keep Tru.

Yeah he was suddenly thrust into a starting role when he was drafted in 2012.

How do some of these hacks keep their jobs as reporters when they dont report anything accurate?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yeah he was suddenly thrust into a starting role when he was drafted in 2012.

How do some of these hacks keep their jobs as reporters when they dont report anything accurate?
Yeah - there were definitely some inaccuracies in the article. The thing is though - if Tru is on the radar among the fan bases of other teams, he is without a doubt making a big image on the radar with GMs and coaches. He will be tough to hold onto but I think we will find a way. KD is pretty damn good at his job. Now if some GM throws a huge figure at Tru - we may have to let him go if it comes down to money.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Yeah - there were definitely some inaccuracies in the article. The thing is though - if Tru is on the radar among the fan bases of other teams, he is without a doubt making a big image on the radar with GMs and coaches. He will be tough to hold onto but I think we will find a way. KD is pretty damn good at his job. Now if some GM throws a huge figure at Tru - we may have to let him go if it comes down to money.

I'm really hoping Tru stays. I know its a business and he deserves to take what he can get, but man he would be tough to replace. I know EJ gaines did well in Trus absence, but Tru has the size and speed to match up well against any of the taller WRs in the league.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
And so it begins.

I want to start hearing about our players being re-signed. There are plenty of them headed to FA yet I'm not aware of anything having been finalised with any of them.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
I'd tag him before he becomes a FA, hopefully we can reach a long term agreement, but if not he's got to be priority number 1 this off season. I've preferred him to Jenkins since about half way through their rookie seasons.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is part of being a better team honestly. 5 years ago, how many FAs did we really worry about losing to other teams?

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
The Rams shoulda moved to sign Tru the SECOND Gaines went down with the Lisfranc injuty. In most ROD'ers opinions, he was already worth an extension. Now that extension will cost twice as much.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The organization did not waste any time by signing cornerback Ross Cockrell to a one-year contract extension last week
200.gif

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Interesting that Tru is considered a more valuable FA over Jenkins in this article.

Not sure I agree, other than I worry about Jenkins off the field more.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Fact:
The Steelers are not a team known for making a big splash in the free agency market.
Opinion:
I don't really see things changing much either. The Steelers are another one of those successful teams(like Green Bay, New England) that has built a program that allows them to replenish via the draft and smaller priced plug n play type FA's.

jjab360

Legend
Interesting that Tru is considered a more valuable FA over Jenkins in this article.

Not sure I agree, other than I worry about Jenkins off the field more.
Makes more big plays, allows less big plays, I don't see why not.

Pretty much all the evidence points towards Tru being the better CB. There just seems to be this narrative among Rams fans that JJ is better, probably starting with him being drafted higher. I don't buy it.