Hey Steelers - Stay the Hell Away From Tru

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Makes more big plays, allows less big plays, I don't see why not.

Pretty much all the evidence points towards Tru being the better CB. There just seems to be this narrative among Rams fans that JJ is better, probably starting with him being drafted higher. I don't buy it.

I've always liked Tru.

Wish we had moved sooner.

But that's football. His INTs will overstate his value.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think that Trumaine Johnson can be a easier sign than JJ myself. Thus I would not have issues with Tagging JJ for one yr & getting Trumaine here in a long term deal based on the team now being in California Tru birth state along with the fact Fisher & Williams fits well as his coaches.

I know that would be a ton of cap $$$ tied up in one season in the corners but we still do not know how well EJ Gaines is after surgery. If EJ Gaines recovers well enough in 2016 to play the Nickel & be the top back up to both these UFA corners then they can let JJ depart in 2017.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think that Trumaine Johnson can be a easier sign than JJ myself. Thus I would not have issues with Tagging JJ for one yr & getting Trumaine here in a long term deal based on the team now being in California Tru birth state along with the fact Fisher & Williams fits well as his coaches.

I know that would be a ton of cap $$$ tied up in one season in the corners but we still do not know how well EJ Gaines is after surgery. If EJ Gaines recovers well enough in 2016 to play the Nickel & be the top back up to both these UFA corners then they can let JJ depart in 2017.

Corners are tough to find.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Corners are tough to find.

Yes and when they are only 26 yrs old, stand over 6-2 and plays around 210 pounds they are even harder to find. Trumaine will get a ton of calls in March from all over the lower 48's.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Especially corners who are 6' 2" that can cover with range and ballhawking skills.

Yes and when they are only 26 yrs old, stand over 6-2 and plays around 210 pounds they are even harder to find. Trumaine will get a ton of calls in March from all over the lower 48's.

Yeah, but would we have said these things prior to 2015?

I like Tru. I do. But is 2015 the player?

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
If any team can finish the year with their starting 2 or 3 cb's playing every game, that's impressive. The rams need to sign jj and tj and they can get the money from what they have plus friendlier contracts with c. Long, jl saffold, and cook

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yeah, but would we have said these things prior to 2015?

I like Tru. I do. But is 2015 the player?

Tru has had some bad games now but so has JJ. Game 17 this past season JJ laid a rotten egg. But Tru just feels like the better long range corner for Fisher. When Tru is right his play has just been overall better IMO.

But its close now. I want them both back & would not go to the other Ram FA's until I get these CB's back ........we loose these two young corners we are in trouble. Starting both Gaines & Joyner would scare me bad in 2016.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Steelers suck and it's awfully cold in Pittsburgh, remember Tru, you can't shovel sunshine!

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Steelers suck and it's awfully cold in Pittsburgh, remember Tru, you can't shovel sunshine!
A team with a real offense? Yeah, I'm sure that he would hate having to play with a lead all of the time.;)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Pretty much all the evidence points towards Tru being the better CB. There just seems to be this narrative among Rams fans that JJ is better, probably starting with him being drafted higher. I don't buy it.

Pretty much all of the evidence except the coaching staff's own evaluations. Janoris is the #1 CB in our scheme. Janoris was the better CB in 2015.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tru has had some bad games now but so has JJ. Game 17 this past season JJ laid a rotten egg. But Tru just feels like the better long range corner for Fisher. When Tru is right his play has just been overall better IMO.

But its close now. I want them both back & would not go to the other Ram FA's until I get these CB's back ........we loose these two young corners we are in trouble. Starting both Gaines & Joyner would scare me bad in 2016.

Because Anquan Boldin had that TD? Janoris had position. Boldin threw him to the ground. It was blatant OPI. If Jenkins had tried to put up a fight, we all know he would have been flagged for DPI. I am not going to fault a CB for that. Wouldn't have faulted Tru if it happened to him.

jjab360

Legend
Pretty much all of the evidence except the coaching staff's own evaluations. Janoris is the #1 CB in our scheme. Janoris was the better CB in 2015.
Yeah, I don't see it but tbh TruJo has always been my guy. Much longer player, better ball skills (which is saying something), better run defender, and the more physical player in general. Janoris is faster, quicker, and has better hips, but I still don't trust him long term not to get beat gambling despite playing it safe and solid in a contract year. If we had them both at the same price tag, I would re-sign TruJo over JJ and not think twice about it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, I don't see it but tbh TruJo has always been my guy. Much longer player, better ball skills (which is saying something), better run defender, and the more physical player in general. Janoris is faster, quicker, and has better hips, but I still don't trust him long term not to get beat gambling despite playing it safe and solid in a contract year. If we had them both at the same price tag, I would re-sign TruJo over JJ and not think twice about it.

I'd re-sign Janoris. I disagree that Johnson has better ball-skills. And yes, I'm taking a risk on Jenkins hoping that he'll continue to play smart football. But Janoris is the better cover CB and the guy I trust more against #1 WRs. Trumaine produces big plays and doesn't make the same sort of bone-headed mistakes that Janoris makes...but Trumaine has also had some games during his time here where he was just outclassed.

Trumaine is great as a #2 CB. But I don't see him being nearly as good as #1. And he doesn't have shutdown CB potential like Janoris.

But the Rams need to find a way to keep both. We didn't draft and develop both of them so someone could steal them when they are hitting their prime.

lockdnram21

Legend

Except Tru does most of his work vs #2 receivers and gets burnt vs fast receivers. I like Tru but want Jenkins back more