He's Not a Rental: Extend Suh

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Y'all might be surprised at what Suh would sign for especially if we play in or win the SB.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
If any football fan has bought into the image of Suh being nothing more than a head-stomping brute, they should watch this interview. The man is intelligent, humble and soft-spoken. Sure glad he's a Ram. Thanks for posting this @Turducken. (y)

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
It's an option if you let Joyner walk and cut Barron. You could slide Johnson over to FS and draft a mid round SS or find one cheaper in FA. Really depends on what direction the coaching staff wants to go in.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's an option if you let Joyner walk and cut Barron. You could slide Johnson over to FS and draft a mid round SS or find one cheaper in FA. Really depends on what direction the coaching staff wants to go in.

Well, I think most of us figure Joyner is gone - that cap room quoted includes him not being resigned. Barron can, and probably will, be cut unless he's sensational the rest of the way. But that of course leaves another position to be filled. And even then the cap space will be a bit tight, once you resign the starters they need, plus signing certain backups that are free agents. Keep in mind that given how good the Rams are, any free agents who have contributed will likely be competed for in free agency. And there are already holes to be filled - either for next year, or guys to develop for the year after. I figure the Rams will need a backup QB, a backup WR, a backup TE, at least one OL and possibly two, a DL, linebackers linebackers linebackers, a CB to develop, and a safety. It's the nature of the cap, and some positions need to be drafted early - I doubt they want to wait until the cupboard is bare to draft an OL, for instance. He would need developmental time, unless he's a high pick, even if he is just to be a versatile backup.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Well, I think most of us figure Joyner is gone - that cap room quoted includes him not being resigned. Barron can, and probably will, be cut unless he's sensational the rest of the way. But that of course leaves another position to be filled. And even then the cap space will be a bit tight, once you resign the starters they need, plus signing certain backups that are free agents. Keep in mind that given how good the Rams are, any free agents who have contributed will likely be competed for in free agency. And there are already holes to be filled - either for next year, or guys to develop for the year after. I figure the Rams will need a backup QB, a backup WR, a backup TE, at least one OL and possibly two, a DL, linebackers linebackers linebackers, a CB to develop, and a safety. It's the nature of the cap, and some positions need to be drafted early - I doubt they want to wait until the cupboard is bare to draft an OL, for instance. He would need developmental time, unless he's a high pick, even if he is just to be a versatile backup.

Well said. I don't think you can retain Suh and Saffold. I never thought I'd say this, but you gotta resign Saffold the way he's settled in at LG. He's a monster right now. He can be that bridge piece to help Noteboom takeover for Whit in 20 hopefully. Suh would be great to have, but it doesn't look likely given all the needs and Goff's upcoming pay day looming. Just gonna enjoy the ride this year and see what shakes out.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
$100 million? Not even close. https://overthecap.com/calculator/los-angeles-rams/ OTC has them currently with an estimated $35 million in cap space for 2019, with 39 players returning. Saffold is a free agent. Littleton is a free agent. A whole bunch of important depth are free agents. Joyner. And Suh, of course. Maybe they can find a way to sign Suh - but it would be at the cost of other positions. And I expect them to put some resources into some offensive positions, as well as cornerback, safety, OLB, and ILB - oh and possibly DT.

My impression at the time was that when Suh was cut so late, he knew his options were limited - so he took a little bit less to go with the Rams for one year, so he could look good before being a free agent in 2019 and going for one last big contract. Even then, it was only a little bit smaller than his other offers. Keep in mind also that Suh is savvy enough to know that playing in California is costing him a bit of money, due to high state taxes. He's unlikely to take a lot less to play with the Rams, if another team offers him a big contract, especially another contender.

Agreed on all above Akrasian.

He isn't going to take any sort of discount. Suh is a businessman, even moreso than 99% of his peers, with all manner of big plans to make his money work. There is no way he'll short himself when he's still in his playing window. And there's very little chance the Rams feel like they have to have him onboard, given the depth of the DL in this draft and the fact that they have a very well paid unit and what they need is a little more rotational beef.

Saffold is the pending FA who is the most interesting. He has dominated at LG in this offense. And IF the Rams feel like they hit the lottery on Noteboom, that he can step in for Big Whit and take over the LT position, then maybe they will make money available for Roger for at least a shorter window of 2 to 3 years where he gets paid for what he does. The reason I think this could happen as well is that while Roger probably wants a longer term deal he understands how good this team has it due to the way he suffered under the earlier Rams regime. So the key here is the Rams still have to pay him very well, just in a shorter window if it were to happen IMO.

Before this draft and Noteboom's addition I felt like RS was as good as gone. And it's still likely they let him walk because you can't pay everyone on an OL. But with Noteboom in house and if they think he's good enough to handle LT, all of a sudden your two "PAID" guys could be Saffold and Havenstein. So largely due to what looks like a very fortunate draft pick, RS might end up being in our plans after all.

Ram65

Legend

He isn't going to take any sort of discount. Suh is a businessman, even moreso than 99% of his peers, with all manner of big plans to make his money work. There is no way he'll short himself when he's still in his playing window. And there's very little chance the Rams feel like they have to have him onboard, given the depth of the DL in this draft and the fact that they have a very well paid unit and what they need is a little more rotational beef.

Saffold is the pending FA who is the most interesting. He has dominated at LG in this offense. And IF the Rams feel like they hit the lottery on Noteboom, that he can step in for Big Whit and take over the LT position, then maybe they will make money available for Roger for at least a shorter window of 2 to 3 years where he gets paid for what he does. The reason I think this could happen as well is that while Roger probably wants a longer term deal he understands how good this team has it due to the way he suffered under the earlier Rams regime. So the key here is the Rams still have to pay him very well, just in a shorter window if it were to happen IMO.

Before this draft and Noteboom's addition I felt like RS was as good as gone. And it's still likely they let him walk because you can't pay everyone on an OL. But with Noteboom in house and if they think he's good enough to handle LT, all of a sudden your two "PAID" guys could be Saffold and Havenstein. So largely due to what looks like a very fortunate draft pick, RS might end up being in our plans after all.

I stated early in the off season that Saffold could be resigned at a reasonable number. The big money is going to players coming off their first contract. Roger's age (31 next June) and injury history would make it prohibitive for teams give him big money for the long term. IIRC he said something to the effect that it's not all about money. So I agree and have thought that one of those 3 year deals with a favorable Rams option in year 3 could be done. I would think 8 to 9 Million or so.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/guard/

Lots of decisions to be made. At least this year there is a lot of good Rams football remaining.

Edit: I stated earlier in this thread that Suh will be overpaid by someone other than the Rams.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I stated early in the off season that Saffold could be resigned at a reasonable number. The big money is going to players coming off their first contract. Roger's age (31 next June) and injury history would make it prohibitive for teams give him big money for the long term. IIRC he said something to the effect that it's not all about money. So I agree and have thought that one of those 3 year deals with a favorable Rams option in year 3 could be done. I would think 8 to 9 Million or so.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/guard/

Lots of decisions to be made. At least this year there is a lot of good Rams football remaining.

Edit: I stated earlier in this thread that Suh will be overpaid by someone other than the Rams.

I don't think they'll be able to get him for a reasonable number though. His play has been dominant and he's going to get paid. Question is whether he'd take a short term deal IMO. I do think that is possible, but probably a longshot when he finds himself staring at long term deals from other teams that offer him and his family security in retirement.

Ram65

Legend
I don't think they'll be able to get him for a reasonable number though. His play has been dominant and he's going to get paid. Question is whether he'd take a short term deal IMO. I do think that is possible, but probably a long shot when he finds himself staring at long term deals from other teams that offer him and his family security in retirement.

OK maybe, a team gives him 4 years but, at 31 I think it's really a 3 year type deal. I have a hard time thinking a team will pony up 44-48 Million for our Roger Saffold. We all hold are breath when he goes down a few times a year. lol. We will see.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
OK maybe, a team gives him 4 years but, at 31 I think it's really a 3 year type deal. I have a hard time thinking a team will pony up 44-48 Million for our Roger Saffold. We all hold are breath when he goes down a few times a year. lol. We will see.
Anyone get the number the OG that replaced Saffold early in the 9ers game???? #68 played the 4th quarter for Saffold @ LEFT OG.

Noteboom went to RG & Blythe went to center leaving the two best OT's on the field.

If the Rams just happen to take it all this season.....LG Saffold will have a few dozen OL poor teams throwing $$$$ big contracts all over him. Retaining him is very unlikely. Saffold will truly heap the rewards from this winning 2018 season. Saffold stands to be the highest paid OG in 2019.

Last edited:

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Anyone get the number the OG that replaced Saffold early in the 9ers game???? #68 played the 4th quarter for Saffold @ LEFT OG.

Noteboom went to RG & Blythe went to center leaving the two best OT's on the field.

If the Rams just happen to take it all this season.....LG Saffold will have a few dozen OL poor teams throwing $$$$ big contracts all over him. Retaining him is very unlikely. Saffold will truly heap the rewards from this winning 2018 season. Saffold stands to be the highest paid OG in 2019.
C'mon man! Andrew Norwell signed with the Jags for 5 years at $66.5 million at age 26. T.J. Lang signed with the Lions for 3 years at $28.5 million at age 29. Saffold can expect IMO, at most, 3 years at $30 million, at age 31.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

Okay, but we can't ignore the bump in being a multiple Super Bowl winner with an LA team would give to his post-career earnings.

Sure, he might make more money in the short term, but fans these days don't tend to give much credit to one year rentals. Worse, if his situation is seen as negative in that he signs for a huge contract and they can't resign a local favorite, while that's on the GM, the player often gets blamed.

And let's not underestimate the wear and tear it takes to be who he was in Miami with a target on his back and without the strength and conditioning team we have.

Also, McVay is beyond mindful when it comes not only to putting players in the best position to succeed, but also in everything from travel to keeping vets fresh throughout the season.

It'd be like going from a Mercedes S class to a Ford Fusion. The Fusion is a nice car and you have more money in your pocket than if you drive the Mercedes, but as you get older, you REALLY notice and appreciate what differentiates the S class from a Fusion and at some point it makes ALL the difference.

The Rams are the S class of the NFL and after being here, I think the biggest sales point won't be in how much guys like it here, but how much they realize that every other place isn't LA, isn't with McVay and Wade and Reggie et al.

You can bet Kayvon Webster isn't sitting there injured happy he's not a Ram. Leaving the Rams isn't like getting out of jail anymore.

It's more like your stay at a 5 star hotel has ended. As McVay has sustained success, guys will not only have the benefit of seeing guys on the Rams talk about the Rams, but former Rams will be honest and miss being here.

That might not bring guys here, but when you hear other vets talk about their situations, it's pretty clear that there's nowhere better to go.

And don't say NE, because no one "loves" playing for Darth Hoodie, they love the winning and plenty of guys are happy to be out of there.

It's early, but I have yet to see anyone happy to leave the Rams... well, maybe Sammy Watkins who never understood this offense, but the Chiefs are paying $16M/yr for a #4 option, so...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Okay, but we can't ignore the bump in being a multiple Super Bowl winner with an LA team would give to his post-career earnings.

Honestly I don't know what that would entail in terms of earnings. But Suh will probably get a really nice deal on the FA market that will give him a good sized bonus up front and it will be hard for the Rams to even pay him a short term in big salary when they already have so much money tied up in Donald & Brock and will probably be busy lining up the brinks trucks for Goff.

And then the DL talent in this draft. I mean just damn. Add it all up and him being retained is extremely unlikely.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Well said. I don't think you can retain Suh and Saffold. I never thought I'd say this, but you gotta resign Saffold the way he's settled in at LG. He's a monster right now. He can be that bridge piece to help Noteboom takeover for Whit in 20 hopefully. Suh would be great to have, but it doesn't look likely given all the needs and Goff's upcoming pay day looming. Just gonna enjoy the ride this year and see what shakes out.

I don't think they'll be able to get him for a reasonable number though. His play has been dominant
d
Did anyone notice Kromer’s comments on Saffold yesterday? Called his play over last season and a half “exceptional,” said he was the most underrated o-lineman in the league, and basically called him the best guard in the NFL. I’ve been saying for a while now we need to resign him, still however feel just about as strongly about keeping Suh (understanding that even if we try to resign them at the end of the day it is the player’s call, not the Rams’). Don’t care about age. These guys can really play and imo will continue at a high level for several years.