HC options

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
It's not 4 years of the same thing. This year is different than 2012-14. 2012 depleted roster. 2013, 2014 massive injuries (and no, that's not the E word, it's what actually happened).

We've had all kinds of adversity during his tenure here. What coach could maintain a locker room like that? Do you see what's happening in Dallas or Detroit? They've assembled a whole roster of players, and some of them aren't holding their end of the bargain. IDK about you, but I place equal accountability on players and coaches in the NFL vs. college. They (players) are pros, they have to do their job too.

BTW the Titans moved on after 16 some odd years, not clamoring for him after a loss or 2.
Yeah, 16 years of mediocrity and eventually realizing that this isn't 1999 and Fisher isn't getting it done with his chirpy, penalty ridden and poor fundamental playing teams. This isn't new, it's all the same thing Titans fans warned us about and nothing's changing. Should we give him 16 more years to make all the same mistakes because there's always some reason why his teams couldn't 'hack it'.

It's Fisher's job to make sure these guys are ready to play and time in and time again they've all come out flat, guys leave and play better, guys come in and play worse. It's all the same year in and year out, we bring in all sorts of different guys but they're all people who don't want to bring their A game? That's just painfully unrealistic if you ask me. The one consistent on this team has been a guy who was dropped after 16 years for all the same things that he does here. His good old boy mentality, his keeping them circling in mediocrity and his inability to truly turn the corner in the NFL.

Fisher is simply not getting it done, the rest of the league sees it, the writers see it and we the fans see it. If you think differently, that's okay, but don't act like people are just bullying Fisher because it's so fun for our team to suck so we can blame everybody. He's earned it and we're not the only people to think so

This team should have turned the corner and it didn't, and that falls squarely on coaching. If not, then why even have a damn coach. Just let the guys go out there and play for themselves.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd love to get Hue Jackson.

I've also been impressed by OC Ben McAdoo of the Giants and OC John DeFilippo of the Browns. But I'm not sure DeFilippo is ready for a HC gig yet.

Kyle Shanahan is another option. Him with Gurley? Mmmmmmhmmmm.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
PxSqN75.jpg

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
It absolutely is a knee jerk reaction. Why weren't "fire Fisher" threads around 2 weeks ago and last week? And anytime someone says the last couple seasons the he lost his starting QBs, OL injuries, defensive injuries, etc. as valid reasons, it's labeled off as that stupid e word.

What makes you think if the majority of this roster that will be back next year, continues to not play to their potential that a new guy can immediately come in and fix it? It won't work.

You may not agree with his in game calls, his style of coaching, or even his nonchalant attitude, but the man in the headset can only do so much. Receivers have to catch the balls. The QB can't throw the ball too high. Defenders can't be sloppy tacklers.
It's on the coach to get guys to play to their potential. It's been 4 years. That's how long it's supposed to take for a coach to rebuild a team into a playoff caliber unit. So far our defense is good, but the offense gas regressed terribly.

It's time to let go and bring someone in that can utilize our players or put them in a position to do well.

We still have a shit load of penalties, and still can't convert on third down to save our lives.

If he can get it straightened out by the end of the year and get this offense to put up respectable numbers, then I'm all for letting him continue.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
For us to keep Williams, we need to hire a 4-3 head coach. If not, he's going to nuke our defense to install the 3-4.

What would Gase run? I like the guy now that he's proven that he wasn't a product of Peyton Manning. IMO, he's proven that he's ready.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Yeah, 16 years of mediocrity and eventually realizing that this isn't 1999 and Fisher isn't getting it done with his chirpy, penalty ridden and poor fundamental playing teams. This isn't new, it's all the same thing Titans fans warned us about and nothing's changing. Should we give him 16 more years to make all the same mistakes because there's always some reason why his teams couldn't 'hack it'.

Yeah, 10 win seasons and a Super Bowl appearance. Almost beat the GSOT. The dude knows football. I would bet the down years had a myraid of other factors beyond coaching, i.e. injuries, front office squabbles, etc.

Also, I don't care what fans think or "warn" us about. Especially on the internet.

It's Fisher's job to make sure these guys are ready to play and time in and time again they've all come out flat, guys leave and play better, guys come in and play worse. It's all the same year in and year out, we bring in all sorts of different guys but they're all people who don't want to bring their A game? That's just painfully unrealistic if you ask me. The one consistent on this team has been a guy who was dropped after 16 years for all the same things that he does here. His good old boy mentality, his keeping them circling in mediocrity and his inability to truly turn the corner in the NFL.

Who has really succeeded when the left? Danny Amendola, meh. Sam Bradford? His best years were here under Jeff Fisher. Time in and again come flat? Why would they even have wins then. The way you are describing them I'd have figured they be winless. And again, all this is coming from after A loss. What happens if they win next week, will the tune change?

Fisher is simply not getting it done, the rest of the league sees it, the writers see it and we the fans see it. If you think differently, that's okay, but don't act like people are just bullying Fisher because it's so fun for our team to suck so we can blame everybody. He's earned it and we're not the only people to think so

This team should have turned the corner and it didn't, and that falls squarely on coaching. If not, then why even have a damn coach. Just let the guys go out there and play for themselves.

I'm not saying people are bullying the guy. If he does get let go he'll survive. I just refuse to believe that firing a guy will magically solve anything when history shows the exact opposite. These subjects are popping up directly because of losses. It's kneejerk beyond belief. I'd have more stock into this subject if these threads came up every week no matter what happens out on the field. But nope, everything is playoffs after wins. And after a loss, "its he must go, he's stuck in the 80s, he's dirty" etc etc.

It's ridiculous and that sort of mentality when carried out is reflected in teams like the Browns, the Lions, the Bucs, etc.

It's on the coach to get guys to play to their potential. It's been 4 years. That's how long it's supposed to take for a coach to rebuild a team into a playoff caliber unit. So far our defense is good, but the offense gas regressed terribly.

It's time to let go and bring someone in that can utilize our players or put them in a position to do well.

We still have a crap load of penalties, and still can't convert on third down to save our lives.

If he can get it straightened out by the end of the year and get this offense to put up respectable numbers, then I'm all for letting him continue.

When its 3rd down the coach calls the play. Not his fault if the QB chooses to throw short or make a high throw, or the receiver drops it.

Again, I don't care anymore about penalties. A good portion of them shouldn't be called, and as of today will be a lot more of those.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Yeah, 10 win seasons and a Super Bowl appearance. Almost beat the GSOT. The dude knows football. I would bet the down years had a myraid of other factors beyond coaching, i.e. injuries, front office squabbles, etc.

Also, I don't care what fans think or "warn" us about. Especially on the internet.
Oh boy, the guy almost won the Super Bowl 15 years ago, that's a great thing for us to hang our hat on. Lets forget that he's been a coach for 21 years and is barely above .500... 15 games to be exact, lets forget that since then he's been 2-5 in the playoffs when he gets there and if he fails to deliver us to a winning season again this year will have just as many losing seasons as he has winning if you give him the generosity of considering being .500 a winning season, or that his last winning season was six years ago or that every playoff game he's made it to was a first round bounce. At least he went to the Super Bowl 15 years ago, even if the game has evolved so much that it's literally nothing like it was in 99. You know who else was in that Super Bowl? Mike Martz, you know who else wasn't all that great of a head coach? Mike Martz. Hell being the ONLY coach to take them to the super bowl sure as shit didn't save him in Tennessee.

Also the bolded is just ridiculous, you're basically just saying that there's is no actual way for Fisher to be responsible for anything bad, just the good.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
So first off if you're the owner you gotta figure out if you want to keep Fish around the remainder of the season. For that to happen, I personally would need to hear something about his plans with the offense that speaks to accountability, i.e. he is going to either sit one of more players OR he is going to fire one or more of his offensive staff. Can't say it enough, but if the head coach cannot hold his team and staff accountable than I would hold him accountable plain and simple. My choice for interim would be Greg Williams if it came down to not liking what Fish tells me. If Fish sells me on some sort of accountability plan I'd give him the remainder of the season to get this offense rolling.

But for purposes of this thread and assuming he's gone if and when this team finishes another uninspiring 8-8ish season...

The hardest commodity to find in this league is a QB who can play well enough to bring you wins week to week. So it follows in my logic chain that an offensive head coach, particularly one with a track record of working with QBs and passing games and hopefully under a head coach from whom he has learned how to exploit defenses, would be the guy to hire. If you hit on that type of guy you actually have a chance to develop a QB from non first round draft picks, and should be able to at least corner the market on the most important thing related to winning in today's league.

Guys who fit that bill are a short list, but Kroenke has been extremely patient and looks like an ideal owner to work for. Ground work has been laid with excellent scouting and drafting, cap expertise, etc. Stan will have the clout to get a short list option. For me just off the top of my head I'd bring in these guys as my short listers and btw for the record none of them would have full control of personnel, they would be under Snead who would still do a great job supporting them I think:

1. Payton. The dude knows offense and would not need to completely overhaul the Rams offensive roster. The current Rams offense would produce with that dude getting a full camp and offseason to get them ready. He would be my top choice.

2. Van Pelt. Fudge Packers cannot block him from a head coaching interview. He has a diverse set of experience and is over qualified to be a QB coach right now. Since this would be his first go-round as head coach if he's the hire he is going to need time to settle into the role, as well as support from the organization. IMO the Rams are now capable of providing a coach like him with those things.

3. Chud. Extremely well rounded in experience with high end performance by the players under him at each stop. I dislike his insistence on joining his buddy in Indy last offseason in a non-OC role but understand where he was coming from since obviously he ended up with the job anyways. Definitely going to be a head coach again, and would give this team what I'd be looking for: a great offense.

Note that the separating factor for these guys in interviews with myself would be their plan for defensive hires. If I hear names of old buddies who are unproven or unknowns that would count against them. Biggest way to succeed with a hire of a hot young coordinator is to help him ensure he's got a good plan for the staff on the side of his knowledge that is weakest. Thus a combo like Payton/Williams, or McCarthy/Capers is what I'd be looking for.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Would we benefit from getting rid of Fisher? There were several years when Cincinnati wanted to get rid of Lewis, but his stability has really made that franchise strong.
Listen to bspn much your repeating verbatim what they have said. Is there really any strong proof Lewis is truly the reason there finally performing.

Debacled

Starter
If anyone thinks the coaching is an issue, then they are really just looking for something to complain about.

The players HAVE to execute. When you have a QB in there that throws ducks and has a scattershot arm to boot yeah the team is going to look pitiful. Fault the coaches for getting Foles? Sure whatever, what were the other options? Bradford coming off 2 season ending knee injuries (lo and behold he is hurt again) or what exactly?

Call it excuses or whatever the hell you want, headhunting and looking to lynch the coaches because Foles cannot execute their game plan let alone any game plan is pure ignorance.

Firing the coaching staff WILL NOT IMPROVE the QB play an ounce. Something needs to happen at the QB position and it isn't going to happen this year unless Foles is playing some kind of sick joke on all of us and actually has some magic stashed somewhere he hasn't used yet.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If anyone thinks the coaching is an issue, then they are really just looking for something to complain about.

The players HAVE to execute. When you have a QB in there that throws ducks and has a scattershot arm to boot yeah the team is going to look pitiful. Fault the coaches for getting Foles? Sure whatever, what were the other options? Bradford coming off 2 season ending knee injuries (lo and behold he is hurt again) or what exactly?

Call it excuses or whatever the hell you want, headhunting and looking to lynch the coaches because Foles cannot execute their game plan let alone any game plan is pure ignorance.

Firing the coaching staff WILL NOT IMPROVE the QB play an ounce. Something needs to happen at the QB position and it isn't going to happen this year unless Foles is playing some kind of sick joke on all of us and actually has some magic stashed somewhere he hasn't used yet.

If you think coaching staffs don't impact players you're crazy brother. Look at that Bears team, there is no way they should have beaten this Rams team on the road like they just did. John Fox and his staff just put on a clinic.

Great coaches win for a reason. All these players have talent, but the great coaches all know how to squeeze the most from them across the board from coaching them up in fundamentals to gameday preparations and scheme. Coaches matter and with great coaches wins follow them to that next team. The Bears are going to win under Fox. You can bank that. Why? Because that's what he does. He just doesn't have the team yet, give him 2-3 years and they'll be playoff regulars.

Debacled

Starter
If you think coaching staffs don't impact players you're crazy brother. Look at that Bears team, there is no way they should have beaten this Rams team on the road like they just did. John Fox and his staff just put on a clinic.

Great coaches win for a reason. All these players have talent, but the great coaches all know how to squeeze the most from them across the board from coaching them up in fundamentals to gameday preparations and scheme. Coaches matter and with great coaches wins follow them to that next team. The Bears are going to win under Fox. You can bank that. Why? Because that's what he does. He just doesn't have the team yet, give him 2-3 years and they'll be playoff regulars.

Coaching staffs do not sail passes and read a defense like reading the first and last pages in a book. The coaches aren't trying to force passes to Wes Welker over and over on third down because that was what they were thinking before the ball was even snapped.

John Fox is actually a fantastic example of what a competent QB can do for a HC. He was 71-73 as a HC in Carolina, the cream of his QB crop was Jake Delhomme and Matt Moore. Womp canned in 2010 when the shell of Delhomme left the building and ownership was looking to shake things up and goes on to get the HC job with the Broncos. In walks Peyton Manning 2.0 (seeing as he has never been the same since the neck injury, and still broke records) and in the insuing 4 years the Broncos he went 46-18.

But hey, Fox is 4-5 this season and people are calling him a winner because thats what he does. I'd trade Foles for Cutler, his contract, and his attitude any day of the week.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Yeah, this idea that coaches are passengers and have no real hope of affecting the game is weird and denied by pretty much everything that the NFL has ever put. If coaches really don't matter in the grand scheme of things why is there a hall of fame ward for them? Why do people fire coaches at all?

We might as well have just stuck with Spags since all we need is a little time and eventually he'd luck into some good players and he'd look great.

Also the player execution sucks, but who got these players and who continues to have them executing like this? Execution definitely can come from the coaches. Like your example, look at how Trestman had the Bears playing in comparison to Fox. A lot of these guys are the same guys, yet it's as different as great as night and day.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Coaching staffs do not sail passes and read a defense like reading the first and last pages in a book. The coaches aren't trying to force passes to Wes Welker over and over on third down because that was what they were thinking before the ball was even snapped.

John Fox is actually a fantastic example of what a competent QB can do for a HC. He was 71-73 as a HC in Carolina, the cream of his QB crop was Jake Delhomme and Matt Moore. Womp canned in 2010 when the shell of Delhomme left the building and ownership was looking to shake things up and goes on to get the HC job with the Broncos. In walks Peyton Manning 2.0 (seeing as he has never been the same since the neck injury, and still broke records) and in the insuing 4 years the Broncos he went 46-18.

But hey, Fox is 4-5 this season and people are calling him a winner because thats what he does. I'd trade Foles for Cutler, his contract, and his attitude any day of the week.
People were saying that Cutler was done, he was toast and even Chicago fans didn't want him anymore.

Now suddenly he's great again, but he sure as shit wasn't great when he was under Trestman. So what changed?

Debacled

Starter
People were saying that Cutler was done, he was toast and even Chicago fans didn't want him anymore.

Now suddenly he's great again, but he sure as crap wasn't great when he was under Trestman. So what changed?
He has never been bad, really at all. He keeps getting a bad rap for his "attitude". I'm not saying he is the second coming of a HOF Qb, but I'd take him over a Joe Flacco and definitely over a Nick Foles.

He has also had the tar beat out of him during his time in the windy city. He is one tough dude and still he was getting knocked around. Think he has only had over 450 attempts twice while in Chicago.

Also note Chicago hasn't been a terrible team in recent history. Outside of last year they have been a playoff contending team, mind you an aging one, but still contending. Trestman had a super short leash, they gave him 2 years up there and to be honest to axe a guy after a 8-8 and a 5-11 season seems rather hasty. The Rams are finding out the NFC north is no joke, 0-3 this season thus far.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
Why weren't "fire Fisher" threads around 2 weeks ago and last week?.
I've been saying it since our week 3 loss to Pittsburgh.
Hell if we go 9-7 I'd fire Fisher. Maybe if we're 10-6 and miss the playoffs. This is a joke. His stupid 4-year plan or however long he keeps extending it ain't cutting it. We have the talent - at least on defense and special teams. This may be an overreaction but this horrible display of football is sickening. No Roethlisberger for the last quarter and a half. Our defense held the Steelers to 12 points! If you would have said that we would keep them to 12 I would have jumped all over it. His experiment is just about over; time to clean house.
...and our loss last week.
It's time to address the real issue.

Fire Fisher.
Nothing has changed under Fisher. Horrible offense. A defense that won't perform to it's potential. As long as he stays as head coach we will always be just under .500.
It's a shame... I really felt like he would be the one to get us out of the gutter.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
He has never been bad, really at all. He keeps getting a bad rap for his "attitude". I'm not saying he is the second coming of a HOF Qb, but I'd take him over a Joe Flacco and definitely over a Nick Foles.

He has also had the tar beat out of him during his time in the windy city. He is one tough dude and still he was getting knocked around. Think he has only had over 450 attempts twice while in Chicago.

Also note Chicago hasn't been a terrible team in recent history. Outside of last year they have been a playoff contending team, mind you an aging one, but still contending. Trestman had a super short leash, they gave him 2 years up there and to be honest to axe a guy after a 8-8 and a 5-11 season seems rather hasty. The Rams are finding out the NFC north is no joke, 0-3 this season thus far.
Because, just look up Trestman lost locker room.. It's no secret that the Bears team just didn't want to play for him anymore, he had a short leash because when a good coach is on the market you don't sit around with a bad coach that your team doesn't like just because it's not 'fair' to him. The objective is to win, not to be nice to each other. Their immediate fall from grace just further shows what a difference in coaching and the players response to a coach does.

Meanwhile even the announcer of our game pointed out how much better Fox has the team running as a whole and how the whole team has bought into what he's bringing in and they're playing lights out because of it. Also it's not like Cutler has stopped taking hits all together, he's gotten sacked 2 less times than Foles and everyone's always talking about how he's always running for his life.

Fox has this team firing on all cylinders and is living proof on what a coach can do for a team that's desperate for it.