HC options

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
If exciting offense is something you crave. I'd go for Art Briles, and I'd throw whatever dollar amount it took at him. He's now known for his spread offense at Baylor, but he does have some familiarity in power-run schemes as well.

If you want a more balanced look, I'd go with David Shaw from Stanford. Some say that he is only living off of Jim Harbaughs recruiting classes, but I love the way he approaches the game.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
But answer me this, if you put in "X" coach would it magically solve anything? Or would he get a pass b/c the player aren't performing the basic football techniques, or are still adjusting to the game?

So the answer is to continue to lose, in order to maybe not lose with another guy?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Seattle was the first game of the year so I still had hope.
Beating Arizona was a nice, but at this point there were still doubts. Losing to a poor Washington squad and an injury riddled Pittsburgh team took all the air out of me. It was a nice win, but I'm no longer going by week to week at that point. Plus who the hell feels disappointed after a loss? We normally don't see any vent threads. The point is I think a lot more people felt this away about Fisher. I don't believe it's a knee jerk reaction to call for his head after this loss. It's all the losses leading up to this one that's helped fuel the fire, people just didn't voiced their opinion.

Washington was a big letdown no doubt. Pittsburgh wasn't injured as much as it was today. I just don't get the polar oppostite reactions between Ws and Ls. All the losses? Not me, I never once wanted him gone after any loss and sure as hell not after last Sunday. One thing I noticed is that it IS week to week. To me a coach that can't keep a team focused through out the negatives is the one that goes, and again, to me Jeff Fisher hasn't done that. That's why I don't think he deserves to go.

That's lazy? He almost has as many seasons losing as he does winning and it's lazy to say maybe it's got something to do with him, but not lazy to say that 9 losing years have absolutely nothing to do with him and is everybody else's fault. It's like saying an architect can't be blamed for a house because it just has to handle the stress of being lived it itself. The head coach is the architect of the team, ultimately everything that happens on a team he has a hand in, players don't bring themselves in and if they underperform for a while it's still the coach's responsibility to replace them and if they can't properly replace the elements with better players then who's fault is that? Nobody's? Should they just keep throwing crap at the wall until it sticks? Also you can't blame it all one one person, but you see that only matters if we ARE. I can't talk for everyone else, but I've been crapping on Foles for the last 5 games with how bad he's been, but you know what? I'm also going to crap on how bad Fisher has been too. That's where you've lost everyone, you say you have to blame everyone and then when people blame Fisher you defend him and say that he's not that bad. You contradict yourself saying that there's lots of blame to go around and then when people blame somebody, balk at it.

It indeed is lazy b/c you are REFUSING TO LOOK AT OTHER GODDAMN FACTORS. Boom, record that's it. You call it it throwing crap, I call it STAYING THE FUCKING COURSE. THE CONTENDING TEAMS DO THAT. THE PERENNIAL LOSING TEAMS DO NOT. AGAIN THEY DO NOT! Why the fuck do you think Cleveland and Detroit keep changing coaches and what the hell has changed in those cities? NOT A SINGLE GODDAMN THING.

And here's my response to your bolded: DON'T PUT FUCKING WORDS IN MY MOUTH. I AM SIMPLY SAYING ITS NOT ALL ON HIM. YOU ARE DOING THE EXACT THING YOU ARE RIPPING ME FOR. THIS WHOLE DAMN THREAD IS ABOUT 1 GUY, THE HEAD COACH.

Because, and I'll bold it this time so nobody misses it. THE GAME HAS CHANGED RADICALLY IN THE LAST 15 YEARS. Why do you think we don't compare players from bygone eras to today? It's like wondering how Bart Starr is a hall of famer when he never threw for 20 and goobs like Eli have already dwarfed his stats that took him 16 years to amass. Need a more recent example? Al Davis at the time was regarded as one of the best football minds the last time Fisher went to the Bowl and a goddamn Hall of Famer. Then a downward spiral happened and people were begging for him to give the team to anybody else because the game had left him behind, his style simply didn't work anymore. How is that possible though? He built teams that went to 4 Super Bowls and won 3, so how is it possible that he went from being regarded as one of the best owners to one of the worst? Because times changes, that happens in everything but is no more prevalent than in the NFL. Football has advanced far past what it was in 1999. All it proved was that back in the day Fisher had what it took to take a team in the 90s to a Super Bowl. In this modern era of football Fisher has been bounced immediately almost any time he's been in the playoffs and has wavered between being below and above .500.

I'm not comparing anyone to anybody. I don't care how football was played 10 years ago or 10 days ago. I'm talking about Jeff Fisher and this Rams team, that's it. BTW Al Davis was an owner/GM. He chose his players. Jeff Fisher teams in 2012 to now have proven they choose players that can be schemed to beat and shut down this modern game you are describing. Losing those games b/c of stupid shit like a WR not lining up correctly or a flag or a judgement call or a QB fumbling as he is sacked is shit that happens in games that a coach can't control. If you can't see that, IDK what to tell you.

And being competitive and loving each other is all well and good, but the name of the game is wins, nobody but nobody is going to be happy that our guys are playing hard and such a family if we're not winning, if that's all we needed then we didn't need to get rid of Spags and his Kumbaya crap. You think anybody was saying, "Man I wish we were a better family." On the Cowboys when Michael Irvin's crazy ass was stabbing people with scissors and everybody was getting paid and winning super bowl rings seemingly at will?

They got rid of Spags because he lost the lockerroom as reflected by Steven Jackson vs. Seattle. Speaking of the Cowboys, how are they now? 2-7, can't keep a locker room contained. Yeah, blame Jason Garrett there. Fire him now, his fault. He's responsible. Please.

I call bullcrap on not seeing these threads, you wanna know why? I've seen em, and I've been in 'em and I call extra bullcrap, wanna know why? Cuz I saw you in them too saying the exact same things you're saying now. In fact in one of the threads Briansrams posted, you were in it. The headhunting on coaches was so severe people were getting reprimanded for so much as thinking of the name Schottenheimer and you don't remember any of that?

You wanna know why I disagreed with the majority on Schotty back then? It's because I believed it. It's also b/c I once again absolutely refuse to follow the "fire him now" after a loss sheep march. Fuck that. And besides, I'm avoiding his threads *this year*. Because once again, in case you didn't get it before, I don't agree with it. If you do, by all means go kumbaya with him.

And my point is that we've got talent and yet again we refuse to turn the corner, players are playing worse or at the same level of players who have left and suddenly aren't all that terrible anymore. We've swapped both coordinators, had a plethora of high picks and yet we're still playing peewee league football out there and the only constant is a man who's has a reputation of being average, having poorly disciplined teams and so many people who have forgotten more football than I'll ever know are saying the same things that me and every joe average here are saying and it stops being everybody just wants to pick on the guy and it starts becoming maybe a spade is a spade. Also lets not act like there's very many wins where we're not yelling for him, he's 23-30-1. You're acting like we all went radio silent for months while he was leading the Rams to a fairy tale 13-3 season. Dude's best is 7 wins, lets not act like he's blowing the world away and we're all just TRYING to find things to blame on him.

We refuse, yeah that's what the team is doing out there. I sure as hell don't see that when I watch the effort. Who's not that terrible when they left? Again, Danny Amendola and Sam Bradford? Brandon Gibson? Joe Barksdale? Now you are just finding shit to say.

Also, for the last fucking time: I haven't said shit like that. I don't believe he's a problem. I don't think getting rid of him will magically solve anything. I don't give a shit what the record says, other factors have contributed. Also for the last fucking time: I ABSOLUTELY REFUSE TO FOLLOW THE FIRE HIM NOW MENTALITY AFTER A LOSS. AND HELL YES THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT IS HAPPENING THE LAST 2 WEEKS. And I think that's ridiculous.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But answer me this, if you put in "X" coach would it magically solve anything? Or would he get a pass b/c the player aren't performing the basic football techniques, or are still adjusting to the game?
I dont know about magic, but has there ever been a HC start his tenure with a new team, have 4 straight losing seasons and keep his job? I cant think of any.

Now I'm not giving up on Fisher or this season. The recent QB swtich may yet save the year. But given the consistant offensive woes of this team, I wouldnt accuse anyone desiring change at the HC as being impatient if we end up on the wrong side of .500 again

MrMotes

Starter
I dont know about magic, but has there ever been a HC start his tenure with a new team, have 4 straight losing seasons and keep his job? I cant think of any.

Now I'm not giving up on Fisher or this season. The recent QB swtich may yet save the year. But given the consistant offensive woes of this team, I wouldnt accuse anyone desiring change at the HC as being impatient if we end up on the wrong side of .500 again

It's virtually unheard of that a coach would get a 4th year after the 3 Fisher had. And nowadays coaches are often getting fired after 2 years. The leash is getting shorter.

But like you, i haven't quite given up on this season yet...

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
One name I've not seen, Dabo Swinney, ticks most of my boxes:

Successful college HC
Relatively young
Former OC
Runs an O with pro elements

Only box he doesn't tick is the not having a stupid first name box.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Yes, I think a lot of our problems may get better with coaching changes. I thought that was fairly obvious.

Really? Despite all the personnel changes, scheme changes, game planning style, etc? This defense as good as it is this year, had its issues when adjusting with just the DC got switched. At this point where the team is, I refuse to start all over again.

Here's what is different about this coach. It's not like this team is continuously winless and pathetic. (Also, don't mention John Fox, Jim Harbaugh, etc those were different situations). It's not like the team is just packing it in. All those other factors have contributed to Jeff Fisher's record, not just Jeff Fisher.

Let's put this in a non Rams perspective. I don't think Chuck Pagano should be fired. His QB has been hurt almost all year, and on those rare days he is healthy is throwing way too many INTs. Is that the coach's fault? No way.

Or another example, Atlanta Falcons. That team switched coaches b/c it was Mike Smith's problem they couldn't get over the hump. He's out, Dan Quinn is in and the same is happening this year! And that's with healthy personnel!

Unless this Rams team just stops caring, then I don't think Jeff Fisher deserves to go. That's what I'm standing by.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Ben McAdoo is my first choice. My absolute first choice. After that, it would be Gase. But Fisher's had his chances. Four years, and we're still the same team we were in 2012. Wouldn't be surprised if we ended up losing out.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It's virtually unheard of that a coach would get a 4th year after the 3 Fisher had. And nowadays coaches are often getting fired after 2 years. The leash is getting shorter.

But like you, i haven't quite given up on this season yet...

I have not given up on the season either and if the record ends up 7-9 or worse I would bring him back with caveat that he hires an offensive coordinator on the same level as his defensive coordinator someone like Ken Whisenhunt for example and a new wide receiver coach and offensive line coach as well.

So I would present Fisher that option in year five similar to what they did with Dick Vermeil in year three...Make changes on your coaching staff or else and if Fisher does not comply I would fire him, hire Adam Gase with the caveat that he either keeps Gregg Williams or hires Jim Schwartz as his defensive coordinator and then take it from there.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think a lot of people will be disappointed at the end of the season when Fisher isn't fired and he makes no change to the OC.

MrMotes

Starter
Ben McAdoo is my first choice. My absolute first choice. After that, it would be Gase. But Fisher's had his chances. Four years, and we're still the same team we were in 2012. Wouldn't be surprised if we ended up losing out.

This team wins games we expect to lose and loses games we expect to win. I kind of figure that's going to continue.

And i don't think Fisher's going anywhere, at least not until location is settled...

jap

Legend
I have not given up on the season either and if the record ends up 7-9 or worse I would bring him back with caveat that he hires an offensive coordinator on the same level as his defensive coordinator someone like Ken Whisenhunt for example and a new wide receiver coach and offensive line coach as well.

So I would present Fisher that option in year five similar to what they did with Dick Vermeil in year three...Make changes on your coaching staff or else and if Fisher does not comply I would fire him, hire Adam Gase with the caveat that he either keeps Gregg Williams or hires Jim Schwartz as his defensive coordinator and then take it from there.

Despite all the vitriol against Fish now, I still feel we had great chances to make the playoffs in Years Two & Three of his regime IF Sam the Ram had remained healthy.

Defensive minded HC's tend to be very conservative offensively. Vermeil needed to loosen up on the offensive side and was forced to hire bright Mike Martz, who brought his own QB, Trent Green, with him.

Fish has a tendency to impose his own stamp over any OC he hires---this is at least true as a Horns HC. I like Fish for his influence over the defense and special teams. However, he needs nudging on the offensive side with an OC who is going to own! the entire offense---QB's, RB's, WR's, TE's and OL. The Rams have enough talent now that I hate the idea of another rebuild. Can we pull in another HC who can build on this team as it is, realistically? Possibly, but getting a competent QB to partner with an emerging superstar RB, a young receiving crew (WR's and TE's), and a young OL may take some doing. I was negatively impressed with how so many well regarded OC's passed on us last off-season. Fish may have to be forced to allow a seasoned OC to have more freedom.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Really? Despite all the personnel changes, scheme changes, game planning style, etc? This defense as good as it is this year, had its issues when adjusting with just the DC got switched. At this point where the team is, I refuse to start all over again.

Here's what is different about this coach. It's not like this team is continuously winless and pathetic. (Also, don't mention John Fox, Jim Harbaugh, etc those were different situations). It's not like the team is just packing it in. All those other factors have contributed to Jeff Fisher's record, not just Jeff Fisher.

Let's put this in a non Rams perspective. I don't think Chuck Pagano should be fired. His QB has been hurt almost all year, and on those rare days he is healthy is throwing way too many INTs. Is that the coach's fault? No way.

Or another example, Atlanta Falcons. That team switched coaches b/c it was Mike Smith's problem they couldn't get over the hump. He's out, Dan Quinn is in and the same is happening this year! And that's with healthy personnel!

Unless this Rams team just stops caring, then I don't think Jeff Fisher deserves to go. That's what I'm standing by.

So Angry...

You're actually Fisher's agent, aren't you?

Just kidding. Lol.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Firing the coaching staff WILL NOT IMPROVE the QB play an ounce. Something needs to happen at the QB position and it isn't going to happen this year unless Foles is playing some kind of sick joke on all of us and actually has some magic stashed somewhere he hasn't used yet.[/QUOTE]

seems like I remember a coach who took a grocery store clerk and made him a hall of fame qb
[

FRO

Legend
I'm cool with keeping Fisher provided we overhaul the offensive coaching staff. Hire Wisenhunt and get better position coaches. We also need new offensive talent. Gurley is the only offensive player that's above average. With our defense all we need is an average offense and we'll be good.