Havenstien, Should He Start?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I do not want Whit on the starting Roster next year. He's barely hanging on as it is right now. I would love for him to come back in a coaching capacity but I think it's time to cut ties with him. Teams that hold on to older players usually end up regretting it at his age and position. I'm in no way saying he's not playing well, but we really have to look to the future at LT.

disagree !!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I do not want Whit on the starting Roster next year. He's barely hanging on as it is right now. I would love for him to come back in a coaching capacity but I think it's time to cut ties with him. Teams that hold on to older players usually end up regretting it at his age and position. I'm in no way saying he's not playing well, but we really have to look to the future at LT.

Barely hanging on, ... c'mon, you can't be serious ?
Sure, he's not the same guy we got 3 years ago, he's past the prime of his career, but he's aging better than a lot of guys and is still a force at his position. If Noteboom isn't expected to be ready at the beginning of next season, I'd rather have Whitworth around than some jag filling in. It really comes down to how much Whit is going to want to play and how much he's willing to carve off his salary, but because of the way his CAP was configured for 2019, his CAP hit next year would likely be closer to half what it is now. Whitworth would allow for Noteboom to be eased back into the starting line-up, and McVay knows what he has in Whit both as a player and as a mentor to the younger kids. Keeping Whit for one final year is looking towards the future transition of Noteboom and a potential OT draft pick to pick up where he leaves off, and that could be at the mid-point of next season if he's so willing. jmo.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Barely hanging on, ... c'mon, you can't be serious ?
Sure, he's not the same guy we got 3 years ago, he's past the prime of his career, but he's aging better than a lot of guys and is still a force at his position. If Noteboom isn't expected to be ready at the beginning of next season, I'd rather have Whitworth around than some jag filling in. It really comes down to how much Whit is going to want to play and how much he's willing to carve off his salary, but because of the way his CAP was configured for 2019, his CAP hit next year would likely be closer to half what it is now. Whitworth would allow for Noteboom to be eased back into the starting line-up, and McVay knows what he has in Whit both as a player and as a mentor to the younger kids. Keeping Whit for one final year is looking towards the future transition of Noteboom and a potential OT draft pick to pick up where he leaves off, and that could be at the mid-point of next season if he's so willing. jmo.

Here's the problem with that statement, is Noteboom even going to be our future LT? He didn't play LG well so does that translate to a good LT? Maybe Edwards takes over at LT, and Boom rides the bench until he proves he can play a position at a high level. Problem is, he wont be ready to even play until mid next season and who knows if his injury will even allow him to be the player he was supposed to be.

I'm not saying he wont be a good to great player but from his small sample size it didn't look very promising.

As far as Whit goes, you're right he's playing good football right now, but that can change in the matter of weeks. Let me ask you this question...
We've all seen an older player start the season, does ok then the dropoff starts showing up, and because we resigned him we didn't go after another FA or draft pick because we signed him to the roster thinking Boom would eventually replace him, but boom isn't any good at LT either... What do we do then? Start throwing different players at LT because we don't have a suitable Tackle on the roster? I know a lot of people don't want to hear this right now, but when it comes to rosters you have to think like NE does. Don't hold onto players beyond their expiration date. Cut bait and look to the future. We can't keep on kicking the can down the road.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
My advice is that while it is working, keep it working because it can only get better with reps.

Re-sign Blythe for our Center next year. That is the position he excels at.
That would keep Left Guard, Center, Right Guard and Right Tackle with continuity.

Trade Havenstein for a 3rd or 4th rounder.

Start with Noteboom at Left Tackle in camp.
If he doesn't work out then you can start shuffling around with Evans & Edwards.

Just how I would approach it.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Here's the problem with that statement, is Noteboom even going to be our future LT? He didn't play LG well so does that translate to a good LT? Maybe Edwards takes over at LT, and Boom rides the bench until he proves he can play a position at a high level. Problem is, he wont be ready to even play until mid next season and who knows if his injury will even allow him to be the player he was supposed to be.

I'm not saying he wont be a good to great player but from his small sample size it didn't look very promising.

As far as Whit goes, you're right he's playing good football right now, but that can change in the matter of weeks. Let me ask you this question...
We've all seen an older player start the season, does ok then the dropoff starts showing up, and because we resigned him we didn't go after another FA or draft pick because we signed him to the roster thinking Boom would eventually replace him, but boom isn't any good at LT either... What do we do then? Start throwing different players at LT because we don't have a suitable Tackle on the roster? I know a lot of people don't want to hear this right now, but when it comes to rosters you have to think like NE does. Don't hold onto players beyond their expiration date. Cut bait and look to the future. We can't keep on kicking the can down the road.

While i've addressed this question a few times in other posts, threads & the College/Mock Draft forum, I have no problem repeating. I understand why a few fans are concerned with Noteboom taking over for Whitworth due to his poor play at LG earlier in the season, but when you look at those brief times when he played LT last year, he held his own quite well. Whether or not Noteboom is the final answer at LT is yet to be determined, but I have been advocating for another OT high (with our 2'nd 2020 draft pick) in this coming draft, both to compete with Noteboom as a starter and as a swing OT. As mentioned prior, I prefer Edwards starting at LG rather than LT, as Whitworth would return to guide both the newly drafted OT and the rehabbing Noteboom on his final run. McVay knows how to manage Whitworth's practice time, and he's done quite well at keeping him rested & prepared, ... for next year Whitworth may be set to open the season and relinquish some of his duties once Noteboom proves he's ready to take on the job, then Whit can make the transition to player/coach for the remainder of the season. jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The assumption I have read from a lot of fans here and on other boards that Noteboom is going to swoop in at LT and lock it down for us next season is insane. Insane. It might happen, sure. But for roster planning purposes he is not the answer.

LT remains the single biggest piece of the puzzle on our OL.

And what I find most interesting is that the Rams believe their starting LT is on the roster. How can I be so sure? Well it's either that or they are convinced they can find their LT on the FA market this offseason. Because they traded away two first round picks for Ramsey and I doubt they would have done that if LT was something they felt they NEEDED to draft this offseason.

Are they right? And who is this answer at LT? I have no idea. But I am pretty sure it's not Joe Noteboom. That dude got straight ragdolled at OG way too many times for me to think he can do the job. Again he's in the mix but folks acting like he's some anointed one are out of their minds IMO.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
And Allen is in the same boat btw. He might go nuts in the gym this offseason and pull an SJD and win that job. But you can't plan on that happening.

Center is the other problem right behind LT. Because even if they sign Blythe on the cheap is he going to regress like he did at OG? Our OG quality might prevent that but still it's a bit dicey.

If we are going to be a Super Bowl contender, the OL cannot be a cobbled together nightmare for a second consecutive season. Rams are not going to risk it and IMO we can bank that.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think some of you guys are missing one of the things that has improved the OL play. Higbee and Mundt have been in helping the OL. Higbee in 97% snaps. Mundt 65%. That's made a huge difference on giving Goff more time.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Personally I think Edward's moves to LT and they replace RG with an FA or draft pick. If evens continues to play well at RT why fix what isn't broken? Allen is a good backup at center but he needs to bulk up. Corbett is playing well not great but no worse than Boom was playing at LG. So maybe we just have to find an LT or RG and we go with the guys that are currently on the field

Edwards is not a LT. Noteboom is the guy they're counting on to play LT.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Edwards is not a LT. Noteboom is the guy they're counting on to play LT.

Hard to count on someone with an ACL + MCL tear after an absolutely horrendous season. That comes after sitting for an entire 1 1/2 years learning from vets. No confidence in Noteboom at this point to compete at a high level at ANY position. If he was that "good" IMO he would've been at least serviceable at guard, maybe a bit below average would've even been acceptable. But he was completely dominated before injury. He should be our swing tackle backup, not a starter protecting the blindside of our QB that struggles mightily under pressure.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Weird he looked pretty damn good preseason

And people said the same thing about evens before he got a start at rt

Actually, Evans looked pretty damn bad during the pre-season. but his continued practice during the season got him up to speed. I think Evans' in-season turn-around gives fans a lot of hope regarding Kromer's teaching and development for several of our very young reserve players going forward. Evans wasn't much more than a few notches above the dumpster fire that was Demby, and maybe on an equal scale with Kolone, but it was Edwards & Brewer who really stood apart from the pack during camp imo. After the season began, Snead has brought in Shelton, Corbett & Trewyn as the injuries started piling up.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Few thoughts on some above comments reference Joseph Noteboom......

JN has never played any OG position in College. He was a pure OT. Not one scout said ever thought that JN was to be considered to be anything other than a OT & primarily an LT.

The negatives on JN were....somewhat passive style...Not much aggressiveness or any sort of mean streak.....never really tries to impose his will when blocking.... lack of punch ......lets defenders get into his body,

It sure appears to me that it was a mistake for Kromer to try to turn the over 6-5 thin lower hips/ thighs & calves into a starting NFL OG something totally different from playing on the exterior. His body type screams OT & built far more the speed smaller quick right outside Edge rushers the NFL will line him up with.

JN had surgery about a month & half ago. His knee was mostly reconstructed. Why would we expect JN to be ready for training camp & preseason? Not realistic.....

I would imagine that it more reasonable time table is to expect that JN will join the team on the practice field about bye week 2020. So a starting LT will need to be found for OTA's/TC/ Preseason & the first half of the 2020 season.

:bueller:

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I cannot imagine they let Littleton go - that would be asinine. You don't find guys like him just sitting around.
Asinine would be to pay a ton of money to a ILB when we need to give Ramsey a big contract. You can't pay everyone

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Few thoughts on some above comments reference Joseph Noteboom......

JN has never played any OG position in College. He was a pure OT. Not one scout said ever thought that JN was to be considered to be anything other than a OT & primarily an LT.

The negatives on JN were....somewhat passive style...Not much aggressiveness or any sort of mean streak.....never really tries to impose his will when blocking.... lack of punch ......lets defenders get into his body,

It sure appears to me that it was a mistake for Kromer to try to turn the over 6-5 thin lower hips/ thighs & calves into a starting NFL OG something totally different from playing on the exterior. His body type screams OT & built far more the speed smaller quick right outside Edge rushers the NFL will line him up with.

JN had surgery about a month & half ago. His knee was mostly reconstructed. Why would we expect JN to be ready for training camp & preseason? Not realistic.....

I would imagine that it more reasonable time table is to expect that JN will join the team on the practice field about bye week 2020. So a starting LT will need to be found for OTA's/TC/ Preseason & the first half of the 2020 season.

:bueller:

I’ve never posted about JN really after the injury, maybe just to say It’s a bummer. Was never high on him at LG, but it did make sense to play your best players. He needed to get game experience imo. Wish he would have been the RG last season at some point. Kromer elected to stay with Blythe & JN got good experience being mentored by Whitworth.
I see Withworth finding a fountain of youth Sunday Night & looked like he was loving it. I’ll continue to pound the table he will return to play in SoFi stadium !!

that will also give The Rams and the younger players time to develop even more. JN’s future is questionable?? Always nervous, but Jake Long comeback a few times.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Weird he looked pretty damn good preseason

And people said the same thing about evens before he got a start at rt

People said what about Evans? He was drafted to play RT and played OT in college. Edwards was not drafted to be the LT of the future and looked rough when we needed him to play RT earlier this season. Playing against scrubs in the preseason isn't the same thing. Noteboom actually played LT when Whitworth missed time last year with an ankle injury, and he looked good there. It's clear he's not an OG, but he has the athleticism to play LT. The question is if he'll be healthy in time for the season.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hard to count on someone with an ACL + MCL tear after an absolutely horrendous season. That comes after sitting for an entire 1 1/2 years learning from vets. No confidence in Noteboom at this point to compete at a high level at ANY position. If he was that "good" IMO he would've been at least serviceable at guard, maybe a bit below average would've even been acceptable. But he was completely dominated before injury. He should be our swing tackle backup, not a starter protecting the blindside of our QB that struggles mightily under pressure.

The injury is what concerns me. Because of that, I'd have a contingency plan in place. Noteboom played LT last year and looked at least serviceable. Guard and LT are very different positions. Noteboom is a fleet-footed guy with a lot of length, but he's not overpowering at the POA. His talent fits the tackle position much better.