Havenstien, Should He Start?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Looks like Rob Havenstien will be cleared to play on Sunday. Question for Rams brass is 'should they put him back on the field and sit Evans?" I've been critical of Kromer and McVay since TC for thier choices of backup O linemen. Constantly running out Demby when it was clear to everyone and their gamdma that wasn't working. I wanted to see Evans and Edwards long before they actually saw the field. I'd still like to see Chandler Brewer. Now they finally have an OL that is getting some push.

Havenstien wasn't doing a very good job when he got sidelined. I should think they leave well enough alone and let Rob ride pine. McVay and Kromer have been using TE's to come in and help, which has made a big difference. Maybe using an extra OL in Havenstien instead of a TE would give Goff more time, and Gurley more holes to run through?

Gotta be a lot of different opinions here at ROD.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'd make him claw his way back. Competition is the key and those guys who are starting now will see that vet who wasn't playing well riding the pine and hoping to get another chance. Good all around for the Rams as it establishes the standard as more than a slogan, and provides pressure on the players to keep them honest.

Oh and btw barring injury his RT days are behind him. He will be an OG here if they don't move him IMO.

fearsomefour

Legend
Evans has outplayed him.
I would leave Evans in and let them compete for the starting RT job next year.

Last edited:

TexasRam

Legend
I'm a big fan of Havenstein. He graded out as one of the top Run Blockers in the NFL last year. He does need help vs Pro Bowl pass rushers as we all have seen.

I like his fit at guard. Part of me thinks he could be an all pro guard as he wouldn't be facing the type of speed he was on the edge which is where he struggled.

I would like to see them kick in Corbett at Center and put Havenstein at LG. I think that would really start to open up the run game. Plus Blythe is most likely gone in FA next year. Corbett and Havenstein could start to move some bodies on that left side.

LT Whitworth
LG Havenstein
C Corbett
RG Edwards
RT Evans

Depth:
Blythe (C, G)
Brewer (C, G)
Shelton (T)
Noteboom(LT) IR this year.

fearsomefour

Legend
I'm a big fan of Havenstein. He graded out as one of the top Run Blockers in the NFL last year. He does need help vs Pro Bowl pass rushers as we all have seen.

I like his fit at guard. Part of me thinks he could be an all pro guard as he wouldn't be facing the type of speed he was on the edge which is where he struggled.

I would like to see them kick in Corbett at Center and put Havenstein at LG. I think that would really start to open up the run game. Plus Blythe is most likely gone in FA next year. Corbett and Havenstein could start to move some bodies on that left side.

LT Whitworth
LG Havenstein
C Corbett
RG Edwards
RT Evans

Depth:
Blythe (C, G)
Brewer (C, G)
Shelton (T)
Noteboom(LT) IR this year.
Hav has struggled with two things that most giant guys struggle with.
Pure speed rushers that get low and smaller guys that can “under” their pads and get leverage.
I think he would struggle at G because of
the leverage. Maybe he could over whelm some guys with his size but facing a 300 + lb guy and giving up leverage would be very bad.
Could maybe look at it next summer but I’d let him get healthy now and prepare for next summer.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Why in the world should they make any OL changes for these last 4 games? These guys are jelling nicely and they should be allowed to continue that process.

Hav should sit, IMO.

We could conceivably be looking at the ‘20 OL starters plus Boom at LOT. Should any of these youngsters flame out then that’s one thing, but they all look like their ascending to me. Let ‘em grow together, I say!

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I appreciate what Hav has done for this team but his play has been AWFUL this year, he shouldn't be playing unless Evans is hurt. Hav should be the backup RT/6th O lineman off the bench for special packages.

fearsomefour

Legend
I appreciate what Hav has done for this team but his play has been AWFUL this year, he shouldn't be playing unless Evans is hurt. Hav should be the backup RT/6th O lineman off the bench for special packages.
Go jumbo set with Hav, Brewer, one TE and Donald as a lead blocking FB.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I stick with Evans.

A) he's generally played better than Havs
B) he's young and the reps are valuable to him, if nothing else for depth moving forward.

Generally, I think if he hasn't already, he's well on his way to solidifying his position as our new RT.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The only reason I can come up to send a rookie OL to the bench....who is trending upward in his effectiveness on the right side with another positive trending rookie David Edwards......... is the future 2020 #1 problem @ LT.o_O

The Rams best prospect to replace Andrew Whitworth @ LT will be Noteboom who has had major surgery a little over a month ago. No way of knowing how well that badly damaged reconstructed ACL/MCL knee outcome. On top of that it would be too soon to know how much time Noteboom's rehabbing event will take. Yet to be determined........

Question here on this subject on Havenstein..... Who would be the best LT prospect to fill AW's shoes temporarily till Joe Noteboom return to playing condition lets say by the bye in 2020? :unsure:

Based on what OL'ers the Rams have signed in 2020 I would say Bobby Evans is that prospect. :bueller:Therefore, its presumptive that Rob Havenstien will be needed to be the starter @ the RT post from 2020 OTA's & well into the regular season. Then you might go with Havenstien back as starter.

Unless you believe top reserve 6th OL'er Chandler Brewer as a possible prospect at starting RT or LT?

fearsomefour

Legend
The only reason I can come up to send a rookie OL to the bench....who is trending upward in his effectiveness on the right side with another positive trending rookie David Edwards......... is the future 2020 #1 problem @ LT.o_O

The Rams best prospect to replace Andrew Whitworth @ LT will be Noteboom who has had major surgery a little over a month ago. No way of knowing how well that badly damaged reconstructed ACL/MCL knee outcome. On top of that it would be too soon to know how much time Noteboom's rehabbing event will take. Yet to be determined........

Question here on this subject on Havenstein..... Who would be the best LT prospect to fill AW's shoes temporarily till Joe Noteboom return to playing condition lets say by the bye in 2020? :unsure:

Based on what OL'ers the Rams have signed in 2020 I would say Bobby Evans is that prospect. :bueller:Therefore, its presumptive that Rob Havenstien will be needed to be the starter @ the RT post from 2020 OTA's & well into the regular season. Then you might go with Havenstien back as starter.

Unless you believe top reserve 6th OL'er Chandler Brewer as a possible prospect at starting RT or LT?
A cheap vet FA.

Ram65

Legend
Evans has been getting the help that Hav didn't get. I would stay with Evans, for now, the offensive line has jelled against some lesser opponents. Rams should get Hav ready to come in at RT/OG as the sixth man on the line.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It depends if Hav is healthy and can play at last year's level. If so, play him. If not, sit him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I think it makes sense this offseason to sign a swing OT like Vaitai or a guy like Cordy Glenn who could slide inside to OG when Noteboom is back to handle the job until Noteboom is healthy.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
It's always tough for a coach to replace an injured long-term starter once he returns healthy, but Evans has outplayed Havenstein and our team has reached a crucial point in the season as we try to qualify for the play-offs. Havenstein may need a week or two more of solid practice before he is 100%, so if he gets the nod, he should be on a fairly short leash.
I'm happy not to have to make this decision, although being that I see Havenstein as possibly our # 1 trade option for the coming off-season, i'd love to see him get some work in and improve our odds at receiving excellent compensation from another team. Of course, this could also backfire, where not only does he hurt the team in our play-off hopes, he lessens his value as a trade commodity. I'll have to flip a coin and let you know my answer later.
jmo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think it makes sense this offseason to sign a swing OT like Vaitai or a guy like Cordy Glenn who could slide inside to OG when Noteboom is back to handle the job until Noteboom is healthy.
Glenn/Havenstein trade is not an unreasonable thought. Glenn is a veteran versatile OL'er that has many seasons as a starting LT & elsewhere. Havenstein is a one post OL'er. Glenn is under Bengals contract in 2020.

OL'er Halapoulivaati Vaitai is sure to draw a lot of interest in March 2020 as a UFA. Once again he has proven to be an excellent 6th versatile swing OT/OG for the Eagles. Halapoulivaati Vaitai would be a dandy off season pick up for the Rams.

(y);)

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
It depends if Hav is healthy and can play at last year's level. If so, play him. If not, sit him.
That's the big question, is he healthy. Hav has been one of the best right tackles in the NFL in 2017 and 2018. Now all of sudden he sucks and we should get rid of him. In my opinion Hav has been playing hurt, that would explain his bad performance. If he's healthy, I believe he starts. If that turns out to be true, why not move Evens to RG and Edwards back to LG. To big OG lines up next to Bylthe could be a big boost.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
That's the big question, is he healthy. Hav has been one of the best right tackles in the NFL in 2017 and 2018. Now all of sudden he sucks and we should get rid of him. In my opinion Hav has been playing hurt, that would explain his bad performance. If he's healthy, I believe he starts. If that turns out to be true, why not move Evens to RG and Edwards back to LG. To big OG lines up next to Bylthe could be a big boost.

While Evans surprised us all while taking over at RT successfully, can we be sure he'll perform at OG just as successfully ? His pre-season camp didn't have him showing all that well at either position, but he turned it around as an OT while continuing practice during the season. Before we get too ahead of ourselves, it wasn't that long ago (2018) that Noteboom was looking pretty good at LT when filling in briefly, but we all saw what happened early this season as he tried to nail down the LG spot. Not saying that Evans won't be able to handle it, but I might caution this kind of change while we are hopefully making a play-off run. jmo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
While Evans surprised us all while taking over at RT successfully, can we be sure he'll perform at OG just as successfully ? His pre-season camp didn't have him showing all that well at either position, but he turned it around as an OT while continuing practice during the season. Before we get too ahead of ourselves, it wasn't that long ago (2018) that Noteboom was looking pretty good at LT when filling in briefly, but we all saw what happened early this season as he tried to nail down the LG spot. Not saying that Evans won't be able to handle it, but I might caution this kind of change while we are hopefully making a play-off run. jmo.
I have been leaning for some time that Snead's top OL pick Bobby Evans is far more effective OT than OG. I also think he is the best bet from this time to be the likely prospect to start during TC & pre season @ LT post.

Once Noteboom has returned to full health to the LT post, Noteboom/ Havenstein should work out fair enough as our starting OT's. If our top paid OL'er Rob Havenstein does fall prey to major pass protection issues once again like this season.... then the RT post can be permanently turned over to Evans. Snead should quickly move Havenstein by the 2020 trading deadline by a trade. This would result in cap savings of $7 million. If a trade could not be done then an early release of Havenstein in 2021 with a cap savings of near $6 million.

With Chandler Brewer substituting now @ LT Andrew Whitworth when needed it may be that @ that time Brewer might become the critical swing OT behind Noteboom/Evans.

I do not see any need for Evans to be forced inside @ OG when there are so many likely candidates i.e. David Edwards/ Austin Corbett/ Coleman Shelton/ Jeremiah Kolone/ Chandler Brewer/ Jamil Demby & Nate Trewyn. I would like to see a LT & OC drafted in 2020 after you get your 5 tech DT & my outside corner;).