Havenstein activated!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
You guys know I have preached early & hard for Boudreau to take up my "2016 Rodger Saffold 6th OL'er Plan" . I know I may sound like I have changed my tune from this off season ....I still prefer this plan. Butt Monkey alert ....I just did not see Saffold being in such sound technical & physical form so early thus far....I am really surprised:shocked:. But I have moved hard from last few seasons on the opinion that Saffold is a better OG to where I am at that he is a better OT for this team as it is built today. This opinion is not shared by most members here. The dropped barbell not only fell on OT Havenstein's big toe, knocked me side ways too with my Saffold Plan.

I just do not see Fisher taking this present day 8/27/2016 Rodger Saffold OT version & throwing him as a starter either. Right now the Rams do not have a better healthier OT (left or right) than Mr. Glass Rodger Saffold....he is our best available pass blocker OL period by a far margin. I sure would prefer that RS remain on the edges to be that strong outside brick wall as long as he can remain healthy to protect Goff. So Saffold's post assignment will remain OT & that's not going to change anytime soon here as many think.

If an injury did occur tonight to Saffold which is his proven history (RS gets injured in pre season since time began) .....fact is Andrew Donnal will be our starting ORT, not Havenstein, not Williams & certainly not Battle. I would sure like to hear from other members who think different on this? Maybe some of the posters who were voicing that our 4th rd. 2015 draft selection "Andrew Donnal looks like strong cut bait material" the last few days might want to elaborate in here some with their thoughts on this for a good morning :argue: with :coffee:....:).

Does Havenstein have any experience @Guard?

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
At Thursdays practice Andy Donnal took snaps at RT, LT and RG. Donnal is the second best pass blocker on the OL behind Saffold, and he is a T, not a G. I don't know how they are going to sort this out but its a nice problem for coach Boo. From what I've seen personnaly at camp, no way Andy gets cut ahead of Battle or Williams.
I like the idea of Glassman coming off the bench as swing man, but how can you keep your best O-lineman on the bench? Roger is a better RT now than Havenstien was even at his best last season. It's going to take Hav a few weeks before he's ready to play, so they have time to sort it out. And of course there is the injury that is likely to hit one of the starters. It always does, sad to say. I hope they keep the OL the way it is. don't rush Hav back, give him reps during gams , but hold him in reserve. I hate it when they slide players around, it just fouls up their continuity.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
At Thursdays practice Andy Donnal took snaps at RT, LT and RG. Donnal is the second best pass blocker on the OL behind Saffold, and he is a T, not a G. I don't know how they are going to sort this out but its a nice problem for coach Boo. From what I've seen personnaly at camp, no way Andy gets cut ahead of Battle or Williams.
I like the idea of Glassman coming off the bench as swing man, but how can you keep your best O-lineman on the bench? Roger is a better RT now than Havenstien was even at his best last season. It's going to take Hav a few weeks before he's ready to play, so they have time to sort it out. And of course there is the injury that is likely to hit one of the starters. It always does, sad to say. I hope they keep the OL the way it is. don't rush Hav back, give him reps during gams , but hold him in reserve. I hate it when they slide players around, it just fouls up their continuity.

Possibly true but I'd say with Havenstein back he's the best pass blocker on the line. Which presents a problem if Donnal is only a tackle.

fearsomefour

Legend
See merlin's post. Gurley 2000 yards.

I just know week one Brown will be starting....which is ideal in the concept. He showed great improvement in the running game las week. His pass blocking was still sub par. Anytime a pass rusher was able to get off his body and create even a little space or spin they were past him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I just know week one Brown will be starting....which is ideal in the concept. He showed great improvement in the running game las week. His pass blocking was still sub par. Anytime a pass rusher was able to get off his body and create even a little space or spin they were past him.
So true fearsomefour on Jamon Brown.

JB is a strange mixer of an OG. Brown is a strong lefty, who always played left OL. Brown played left OT in college long time. Enters the NFL gets move flipped & then moved again before the season landing lefty again for four games. Fact is JB is a good well rounded OLG better than @ ORG. but they then flipped again for the known reasons.... his general all around play went into decline on the right .....but the decline was in his pass rush....not in his run blocking.

The Rams demand a nasty big powerful right OG in the run game......in truth Jamon Brown may be the best to fill that description of what Boudreau covets...it seems to be a priority. Rams appear willing to sacrifice the pass blocking skill level @ ORG for whatever Jamon Brown does for Gurley in the run blocking side.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life

JB is a strange mixer of an OG. Brown is a strong lefty, who always played left OL. Brown played left OT in college long time. Enters the NFL gets move flipped & then moved again before the season landing lefty again for four games. Fact is JB is a good well rounded OLG better than @ ORG. but they then flipped again for the known reasons.... his general all around play went into decline on the right .....but the decline was in his pass rush....not in his run blocking.

The Rams demand a nasty big powerful right OG in the run game......in truth Jamon Brown may be the best to fill that description of what Boudreau covets...it seems to be a priority. Rams appear willing to sacrifice the pass blocking skill level @ ORG for whatever Jamon Brown does for Gurley in the run blocking side.
I believe Brown played both LT and RT in college. In their offense they would switch tackles from left to right for some strange reason.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Donnal has looked pretty damn good...and has passed Battle & Williams imo.....
So you were paying attention finally to the big ugly'so_O. Those DB's & WR's are getting old news to you LACHAMP46 & not getting you excited anymore;). Yes Donnal did surprise me greatly with his improved power & strength.

If the Ram Org. is making demands of Boudreau with the high objective of working on keeping only NINE (9) OL'ers after the bye then ORT/OLG/ORG Andrew Donnal will help Boudreau meet the Rams objectives in this area. No ideal if this is a high priority or not.

But what if Cody Wichmann is being eyed now as a prospective future reserve center (as being reported by our own members here) along with the fact he has been a good starting ORG & OLG as a very young OL'er then you might be looking for a temporary patch @ backup @ center on Sept 3rd, 2016.

That most likely would be Erik Kush with Boudreau getting Wichmann more time to work with Tim Barnes. By Bye week time Kush would be released & most likely retained on the PS thus permitting Fisher to improve his ST cadre & going down in OL numbers if the health holds up. Andrew Donnal would be the long term key here(y).

I believe Brown played both LT and RT in college. In their offense they would switch tackles from left to right for some strange reason.
Your 100% correct but primarily poped up on the left side....Brown was a very good college OT in their offense.

fearsomefour

Legend

In my humble opinion he was bad in the run game too last year. I was very unimpressed with him. He seemed to be beaten in both facets of the game on a routine basis.
Last week Vs Kansas City his run blocking was very good. He was a physical presence in the running game, on the right side no less. If Keenum was not relatively adept at getting ride of the ball quickly....well, there was a lot of pressure coming from Browns guy.
I just don't see him being there at this point.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
This sure adds to the many elements going into the final OL cadre when the season begins. I will have to admit it was a big surprise to me. But you know the big guy was able to play through two different lower leg issues last season & he played very well.

I am in agreement with a lot of what Riverumbbq posted on. But from his cameo appearance the last two pre season games Rodger Saffold appeared to be our best OT of the starters & sure looked good on that right side IMO. Saffold came into OTA's, Training Camp & now over half the pre season doing exactly what Fisher wanted him to do...after all the pain & suffering of two back to back shoulder reconstructions & two rehabbing events Rodger is asked to move from OLG where he last stared in 2015 to ORT in 2016. Before that he was asked to move from ORG to OLG earlier in 2015. In 2014 he was asked to move from OLG to ORG then a few weeks later asked to move back OLG finished the 2014 season moving to start @ OLT. In 2013 Fisher mandated Saffold move from OLT to ORT until he was injured then Fisher asked him to rotate in with Joe Barksdale then finally he started back @ ORT. The nest week he was moved back to ORG & by the end of the 2013 Saffold was asked to move to start back @ OLT. That's 13 moves in little over 3 seasons.:shocking:

Based on the above I not sold that Rob Havenstein is going to be pushed hard to reclaim last season starting post so soon if this OL gets its act together. Fisher might possibly reward Saffold excellent play on the exterior & let him continue to labor outside for a long while. Guess we know why now that we have reports that Cody Wichmann is seeing some time @ center & ORT Donnal is seeing action back @ OLG. The OT posts could be stacked with four very good ones.

If Andrew Donnal whom many here think is cut bait can show sizeable improvement over last season @ both sides of the OL @ OG..... like Andrew Donnal has delivered thus far @ ORT??? AD will cause Boudreau to be in ecstasy of having develop a 3 OL post 2nd season OL'er! Boudreau mandates reserves to play more than two positions if @ all possible. Andrew Donnal will work for a few thousands the next 3 seasons where others will mandate to make millions.

If you keep Robinson-Saffold- Havenstein-Williams as your OT's you get 3 OT's who can play OLT & 3 OT's who can play ORT. Adding in Battle to this mix for 5 OT's doesn't add anything. There is no game evidence yet he can play one OT position yet. I wonder how important it is for Goff to get premium protection or just let the very experience Isaiah Battle. It sure would seem to me to very comforting for Boudreau to have your best OL'er on the edges with the only real question on Saffold being injury prone but now having a luxury of having the Havenstein in reserve working to get back in shape & ready for when Saffold goes down.
I have to disagree with you Bonifay on Donnal. I see him only as a RT. Doesn't have the power nor the leverage to play OG. His feet are to slow for LT and if he had to play LT in the regular season our QB would be killed.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
In his interview, Rodger spoke of his time at RT and mentioned he is still keeping himself prepared to slide back to LG. While I prefer him at RG and keeping Wichmann at LG as many have suggested, Coach Bou is the decision maker here and I believe he would tell Saffold to prepare for RG duties if that was the plan AND Saffold wouldn't be concerning himself w guard duties at all if the staff communicated that he's the long range plan at RT.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
In my humble opinion he was bad in the run game too last year. I was very unimpressed with him. He seemed to be beaten in both facets of the game on a routine basis.
Last week Vs Kansas City his run blocking was very good. He was a physical presence in the running game, on the right side no less. If Keenum was not relatively adept at getting ride of the ball quickly....well, there was a lot of pressure coming from Browns guy.
I just don't see him being there at this point.
I agree 100% his technique is still too raw. He needs to sign up for training GRob did in the offseason.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have to disagree with you Bonifay on Donnal. I see him only as a RT. Doesn't have the power nor the leverage to play OG. His feet are to slow for LT and if he had to play LT in the regular season our QB would be killed.
I agree with you on the OLT part. but would ask for you to recheck your observations & thoughts on his current OG play this season so far.

I hope I did not indicate that. AD was a 3 OL position reserve last season & looks to be the same again this season .....ORT, ORG & OLG posts. Yes AD lacked what was necessary to be an effective OG as a rookie sais that early this year. However this is not the same rookie AD we saw last season...check him out tonight we will hash it over in the chatroom Ok?.

fearsomefour

Legend
Not a big supporter of Wichmann last season but he has surprised me the most this preseason. He deserves to start over Brown.
I would rank our G's as Reynolds, Saffold, Wichmann and Brown in that order....that is based mostly on last year. I think it is funny Reynolds has gotten no reps with the starting O at G during the preseason.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not a big supporter of Wichmann last season but he has surprised me the most this preseason. He deserves to start over Brown.
I've seen the same thing, he's been much better than last year and steadier than Brown has been so far this year. We'll see how it shapes up the last two games I guess. None of these guys are getting cut at the 75 marker IMO it'll happen when we come down to 53.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would rank our G's as Reynolds, Saffold, Wichmann and Brown in that order....that is based mostly on last year. I think it is funny Reynolds has gotten no reps with the starting O at G during the preseason.
TBH I haven't seen enough of Reynolds this off season to place him #1. Last year he was very solid. I'll try to watch him tonight.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I agree with you on the OLT part. but would ask for you to recheck your observations & thoughts on his current OG play this season so far.

I hope I did not indicate that. AD was a 3 OL position reserve last season & looks to be the same again this season .....ORT, ORG & OLG posts. Yes AD lacked what was necessary to be an effective OG as a rookie sais that early this year. However this is not the same rookie AD we saw last season...check him out tonight we will hash it over in the chatroom Ok?.
Don't like the chat room because I can't follow the game. I would just need to see him against 1s to really tell if he can play OG at this level. I'm really leaning though to keeping him instead of Reynolds as I see both as the same type of player. Donnal would be cheaper to keep as Reynolds is a free agent next season.