Havenstein activated!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Just watched Big Rob swimming in a video on The Rams official website. Dude can really swim! Smooth athlete

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bionic?...really, no more worries? You mean better than original? Good luck with that one. :whistle:
"We can make him better than he was...Better...Stronger...Faster..."
~Oscar Goldman, Saffolds doctor

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
tumblr_m8vh0833Af1rt3fn2.gif

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lets wait a while....Poor performace against the Cowboys and a not good performance against KC until the second half.
I'd read the opposite up until this point.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This sure adds to the many elements going into the final OL cadre when the season begins. I will have to admit it was a big surprise to me. But you know the big guy was able to play through two different lower leg issues last season & he played very well.

I am in agreement with a lot of what Riverumbbq posted on. But from his cameo appearance the last two pre season games Rodger Saffold appeared to be our best OT of the starters & sure looked good on that right side IMO. Saffold came into OTA's, Training Camp & now over half the pre season doing exactly what Fisher wanted him to do...after all the pain & suffering of two back to back shoulder reconstructions & two rehabbing events Rodger is asked to move from OLG where he last stared in 2015 to ORT in 2016. Before that he was asked to move from ORG to OLG earlier in 2015. In 2014 he was asked to move from OLG to ORG then a few weeks later asked to move back OLG finished the 2014 season moving to start @ OLT. In 2013 Fisher mandated Saffold move from OLT to ORT until he was injured then Fisher asked him to rotate in with Joe Barksdale then finally he started back @ ORT. The nest week he was moved back to ORG & by the end of the 2013 Saffold was asked to move to start back @ OLT. That's 13 moves in little over 3 seasons.:shocking:

Based on the above I not sold that Rob Havenstein is going to be pushed hard to reclaim last season starting post so soon if this OL gets its act together. Fisher might possibly reward Saffold excellent play on the exterior & let him continue to labor outside for a long while. Guess we know why now that we have reports that Cody Wichmann is seeing some time @ center & ORT Donnal is seeing action back @ OLG. The OT posts could be stacked with four very good ones.

If Andrew Donnal whom many here think is cut bait can show sizeable improvement over last season @ both sides of the OL @ OG..... like Andrew Donnal has delivered thus far @ ORT??? AD will cause Boudreau to be in ecstasy of having develop a 3 OL post 2nd season OL'er! Boudreau mandates reserves to play more than two positions if @ all possible. Andrew Donnal will work for a few thousands the next 3 seasons where others will mandate to make millions.

If you keep Robinson-Saffold- Havenstein-Williams as your OT's you get 3 OT's who can play OLT & 3 OT's who can play ORT. Adding in Battle to this mix for 5 OT's doesn't add anything. There is no game evidence yet he can play one OT position yet. I wonder how important it is for Goff to get premium protection or just let the very experience Isaiah Battle. It sure would seem to me to very comforting for Boudreau to have your best OL'er on the edges with the only real question on Saffold being injury prone but now having a luxury of having the Havenstein in reserve working to get back in shape & ready for when Saffold goes down.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
why? Havenstein may become more reliable, but he has been injured quite a lot in his young career, and Saffold's shoulders are now bionic..so no more worries there....

Hav was our best and most consistent lineman last year outside of the 4 game window he was nicked up. It is not even a question in my mind, once he is ready to go he slides right back in there.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
This sure adds to the many elements going into the final OL cadre when the season begins. I will have to admit it was a big surprise to me. But you know the big guy was able to play through two different lower leg issues last season & he played very well.

I am in agreement with a lot of what Riverumbbq posted on. But from his cameo appearance the last two pre season games Rodger Saffold appeared to be our best OT of the starters & sure looked good on that right side IMO. Saffold came into OTA's, Training Camp & now over half the pre season doing exactly what Fisher wanted him to do...after all the pain & suffering of two back to back shoulder reconstructions & two rehabbing events Rodger is asked to move from OLG where he last stared in 2015 to ORT in 2016. Before that he was asked to move from ORG to OLG earlier in 2015. In 2014 he was asked to move from OLG to ORG then a few weeks later asked to move back OLG finished the 2014 season moving to start @ OLT. In 2013 Fisher mandated Saffold move from OLT to ORT until he was injured then Fisher asked him to rotate in with Joe Barksdale then finally he started back @ ORT. The nest week he was moved back to ORG & by the end of the 2013 Saffold was asked to move to start back @ OLT. That's 13 moves in little over 3 seasons.:shocking:

Based on the above I not sold that Rob Havenstein is going to be pushed hard to reclaim last season starting post so soon if this OL gets its act together. Fisher might possibly reward Saffold excellent play on the exterior & let him continue to labor outside for a long while. Guess we know why now that we have reports that Cody Wichmann is seeing some time @ center & ORT Donnal is seeing action back @ OLG. The OT posts could be stacked with four very good ones.

If Andrew Donnal whom many here think is cut bait can show sizeable improvement over last season @ both sides of the OL @ OG..... like Andrew Donnal has delivered thus far @ ORT??? AD will cause Boudreau to be in ecstasy of having develop a 3 OL post 2nd season OL'er! Boudreau mandates reserves to play more than two positions if @ all possible. Andrew Donnal will work for a few thousands the next 3 seasons where others will mandate to make millions.

If you keep Robinson-Saffold- Havenstein-Williams as your OT's you get 3 OT's who can play OLT & 3 OT's who can play ORT. Adding in Battle to this mix for 5 OT's doesn't add anything. There is no game evidence yet he can play one OT position yet. I wonder how important it is for Goff to get premium protection or just let the very experience Isaiah Battle. It sure would seem to me to very comforting for Boudreau to have your best OL'er on the edges with the only real question on Saffold being injury prone but now having a luxury of having the Havenstein in reserve working to get back in shape & ready for when Saffold goes down.

My only addition to this is ; didn't Fisher say last season or prior that no player loses a job solely to injury ?
I'm guessing once Fisher believes Havenstein is good to go, he'll be starting, although he may still be a few weeks from being 100%.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
My only addition to this is ; didn't Fisher say last season or prior that no player loses a job solely to injury ?
I'm guessing once Fisher believes Havenstein is good to go, he'll be starting, although he may still be a few weeks from being 100%.

This period of time to get in shape & ready to play????.....Lets see here Havenstein missed all OTA offseason workouts: May 31, June 1, June 3, June 7-8, June 10 & the mandatory minicamp: June 14-16, all 23 days of Training Camp & over half of pre season.......:whistle:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
This period of time to get in shape & ready to play????.....Lets see here Havenstein missed all OTA offseason workouts: May 31, June 1, June 3, June 7-8, June 10 & the mandatory minicamp: June 14-16, all 23 days of Training Camp & over half of pre season.......:whistle:
I honestly don't know, hopefully we'll have a better idea tomorrow once the sideline reporters and talking heads have interviewed Fish and some players. I suspect we'll see Hav back starting at RT well before the BYE though. jmo.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Bonifay, I just wanted to let you know that I love your O-line posts!

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams won't keep 11 OL. 10 or maybe even 9. And some of those will be picked up by other teams and possibly start. OL is a problem for a lot of teams. The practices I've been to, the OL was one of the groups I paid a lot of attention to. Andy Donnal looks 20 lbs heavier and its looks to be all muscle and stronger.. Donnal is technically sound and probably the best pass protector after Saffold.
Havenstien hasn't even been on the field yet, and may not til after the season starts. They activated him so he doesn't miss the 1st six games. He probably won't play until the 2nd or 3rd. He's only going to play RT.

I know folks don't want to hear it, but the injury bug WILL hit. A starter is going to miss games, and that's where Saffold coms in. For a change the Rams don't have to tear the OL apart to replace someone.

Barnes is a lock and a pleasant surprise at C. He's definatly used the off season to get stronger.. Rhaney still has trouble off the snap, get pushed back into the pocket. Folkerts is just slow, Kush has problems with the exchange, low snaps. That's why they are trying Wichmann at C.

Nice problem to have for the Rams a pretty deep stable of capable O-linemen and you can't keep em all. These next two pre-season games will clarify things. Don't be surprised to see Wichmann in there at C late in the game
I have not been this excited about the Rams OL since the days of the "Dough-nut Bros.". Nothing but a revolving door of has been FA's, failed draft picks and hearbreaking injuries.

Barring injury, the OL is going to be a strength of the Rams. Keenum is going to have more time and Gurley is going to run amok.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Williams should be just fine behind GRob, imo. If this were up to me, i'd keep Saffold off the starting roster and have him as our most important swing man off the bench. He plays every OL position well but Center, his only issue is his history of health problems, so save his ass and keep him as our very expensive reserve. We will be happy to have him fresh come play-off time, and he'll still rotate in on occasion. Saffold may very likely become a CAP casualty cut in 2017, so lets play the young guys now and build a chemistry which lasts for several years. jmo.
I'm in 100% agreement with you.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
These next two pre-season games will clarify things.
I have not been this excited about the Rams OL since the days of the "Dough-nut Bros.". Nothing but a revolving door of has been FA's, failed draft picks and hearbreaking injuries.
Barring injury, the OL is going to be a strength of the Rams.

post-50553-should-we-high-five-gif-Imgur-AFc6.gif

fearsomefour

Legend
Id bump Saffold to RG and Brown to the pine. But the moment Robinson starts to struggle Saffold takes over at LT.
I agree with Brown to the bench.
You mean Saffold, the guy about 60% of the was desperate to cut?
Oh right, he has value.

fearsomefour

Legend

The best 5 linemen will play. The Rams are trying to win this year. And Gurley needs 2000 yards.

Robinson, Barnes.....and then who are the next three?
Saffold has been solid at RT.
Assuming Hav rounds into shape the G spots are up for grabs I would think.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

IF Hav is healthy his return makes the line better. Saffold slides inside where he's even better because his greatest strength--mobility and getting to the second level--is better served. It also means their best five are on the field, which does not include Brown. Brown's gonna be good, but it is a real nice problem to have a guy like him sitting on the depth chart. I want to see GRob // Wichmann // Barnes // Saffold // Havenstein all season long, and if that group stays healthy it's gonna be a year of enormous proportions for Gurley.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Robinson, Barnes.....and then who are the next three?
Saffold has been solid at RT.
Assuming Hav rounds into shape the G spots are up for grabs I would think.

See merlin's post. Gurley 2000 yards.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
You guys know I have preached early & hard for Boudreau to take up my "2016 Rodger Saffold 6th OL'er Plan" . I know I may sound like I have changed my tune from this off season ....I still prefer this plan. Butt Monkey alert ....I just did not see Saffold being in such sound technical & physical form so early thus far....I am really surprised:shocked:. But I have moved hard from last few seasons on the opinion that Saffold is a better OG to where I am at that he is a better OT for this team as it is built today. This opinion is not shared by most members here. The dropped barbell not only fell on OT Havenstein's big toe, knocked me side ways too with my Saffold Plan.

I just do not see Fisher taking this present day 8/27/2016 Rodger Saffold OT version & throwing him as a starter either. Right now the Rams do not have a better healthier OT (left or right) than Mr. Glass Rodger Saffold....he is our best available pass blocker OL period by a far margin. I sure would prefer that RS remain on the edges to be that strong outside brick wall as long as he can remain healthy to protect Goff. So Saffold's post assignment will remain OT & that's not going to change anytime soon here as many think.

If an injury did occur tonight to Saffold which is his proven history (RS gets injured in pre season since time began) .....fact is Andrew Donnal will be our starting ORT, not Havenstein, not Williams & certainly not Battle. I would sure like to hear from other members who think different on this? Maybe some of the posters who were voicing that our 4th rd. 2015 draft selection "Andrew Donnal looks like strong cut bait material" the last few days might want to elaborate in here some with their thoughts on this for a good morning :argue: with :coffee:....:).

Last edited:

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Consistency across the offensive line is extremely important. When the injury bug hits that unit, it can throw the entire offense off. Let Havenstein work his way back into the unit slowly. I mean that's just my opinion.