Have the Rams paid the Piper and sent him north to San Francisco?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Niner advocate!
1707850899296.png

oldnotdead

Legend
Purdy just isn't the same when you get to him.

Very few QBs are. That includes Stafford. Under pressure, he's as susceptible to throwing INTs as Goff was. IMO Purdy shouldn't be underestimated he's better than most give him credit for being.

I wish he wasn't playing for the Niners. I hate the team he's on but I can respect the player.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I feel as though Purdy is a good game manager given the right personal and coaching but please don't mistake him for the second coming of Joe Montana or Steve Young.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
They are going to need to release at least two of their expensive players if not more to get under the cap.
not true, they can easily bring back most if not all their players. I'm not sure where your getting this info or your just making it up.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
In addition to what the 49ers are paying those guys above... what about Chase Young, Jason Hargrave, Mccaffery, Juczszuk, Aiyuk, Greenlaw, and Randy Gregory? WTF? How can they have so many big-name players/contracts and the Rams have around 3? I realize it's the salary cap so it must be equal in some respects but it sure seems lopsided. And I'm sure Purdy will get a new deal next year, even if the cap hit is in future years. I hope they pay him 50 mil per year (and BTW he is nothing more than a game manager) with a guarantee of 200 million (LMAO).
The Rams had $75M of dead cap this yr and many of the Niners players, as has been already pointed out here, had low cap numbers, but that changes next yr and they are currently right at the cap...no cap space. So they have work to do.

What's also important is to look down the road and what is on that horizon.

I haven't paid a ton of attention to the Niners yet, but I also follow the Eagles and their situation is interesting.

For instance the Eagles are a team whose cap is okay this yr, $20M under. They will get to $32M under after they cut Byard, but they have little room to restructure anyone because they handed out contracts that already really kicked the can down the road.

So in their case the shit hits the fan in 25', where they are currently only $22M under, with only 40 players under contract, with little room for restructuring, and they still have to extend guys like Devante Smith as well as signing 2 first rd picks in these next 2 drafts and any FAs they sign this yr.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Very few QBs are. That includes Stafford. Under pressure, he's as susceptible to throwing INTs as Goff was. IMO Purdy shouldn't be underestimated he's better than most give him credit for being.

I wish he wasn't playing for the Niners. I hate the team he's on but I can respect the player.
Oh, I respect him.. he just has more limitations, physically, than a lot of players when you put pressure on him. His lack of stature and arm strength work against him in those situations in a way that it doesn't for some others.

Purdy is a great processor and makes some nice throws and can run. But he just doesn't have the arm strength or size to be a threat on his own, without the incredible offense and talent around him.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
I feel as though Purdy is a good game manager given the right personal and coaching but please don't mistake him for the second coming of Joe Montana or Steve Young.
Drop him on a roster with average WR talent and it would not be pretty.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We sold out and won.
They sold out and LOST and the bills have not even been paid yet.
Our bills are paid and more young talent inbound.
Life is good.
and there's that little piece of tin that the 69ers can't seem to get their hands on this century. still 2-0 in the 21st century. i like numbers sometimes

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
and there's that little piece of tin that the 69ers can't seem to get their hands on this century. still 2-0 in the 21st century. i like numbers sometimes
Yep, we have 2 Lombardi's since The Native Killers last win.
Our bitches now.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
If Purdy was a good quarterback, particularly deep ball accuracy-wise, he would've hit Aiyuk for that long touchdown throw, and we'd all be pissed off at the outcome. If he had composure to get hit, he would've hit Aiyuk for another touchdown in the endzone during overtime, and we'd all be cursing like a crew of drunken, sex-starved pirates.

I'm sorry, Purdy's a good game-manager and nothing more, and it's why Aiyuk, the offensive line, and everyone on San Fran's side are playing the blame game.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yeah, Kurt Warner and Matt Stafford stand in, take the Chris Jones hit and make that pass to a wide open Aiyuk…

I was shocked he threw it away… like… why? Do you not know where your guys are gonna be? That play has to have a quick check. If the DB has outside leverage, hit him on any inside blitz… I’m just a fan and I see that…

I’m sorry, but if you’re gonna lead a team to a Super Bowl win, you have to KNOW that and make that throw even if the coming freight train knocks you out

I’ve been pretty easy and understanding towards Purdy, but that was borderline unforgivable. The entire season led to THAT PLAY and he either didn’t know where Aiyuk was gonna be or wasn’t willing to take the hit.

Damn I’m glad we have Stafford

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Yeah, Kurt Warner and Matt Stafford stand in, take the Chris Jones hit and make that pass to a wide open Aiyuk…

I was shocked he threw it away… like… why? Do you not know where your guys are gonna be? That play has to have a quick check. If the DB has outside leverage, hit him on any inside blitz… I’m just a fan and I see that…

I’m sorry, but if you’re gonna lead a team to a Super Bowl win, you have to KNOW that and make that throw even if the coming freight train knocks you out

I’ve been pretty easy and understanding towards Purdy, but that was borderline unforgivable. The entire season led to THAT PLAY and he either didn’t know where Aiyuk was gonna be or wasn’t willing to take the hit.

Damn I’m glad we have Stafford

I'm so happy we have Stafford. No offense meant to Goff, who had an absolutely fantastic year - and deserves accolades as such - but I'll take the Super Bowl and the quarterback we have now. A lot different than what I was admittedly thinking when we traded for Stafford, but I can admit when I was wrong, and I was wrong about Stafford then, and I'm so happy to be wrong.

But the play I'm thinking of that would've likely iced it before overtime was a second down play in the second quarter, I think, where Aiyuk had his man clearly beat...and Purdy - with time, mind you - completely overthrew him. I think Bolton was bearing down on him on a free run, and while, yes, Bolton hits people really fucking hard (just look at his Mizzou highlight tape, if you need proof, and yes, I would've killed for him in that draft over Atwell), you have to have that internal clock and throw a catchable ball if you want to be an elite quarterback.

Purdy is simply a good game manager, and I will fucking laugh my ass off if San Fran overpays him.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I do expect the 49ers to be one of the top teams in the NFC. But I also think they take a step back in quality of play next season. Their reign as a top seed could change. The Rams are going to give them a serious challenge for the division. If Detroit improves their defense they will be tough to beat. And after the 2024 season the 49er window will likely be closed while the Rams window will be wide open.

Antonius

Pro Bowler
Hate the niners. Hate em, hate em, hate em. Be that as it may, more often than not Shanahan and crew field a good team that we struggle against. So I would lean into them being an issue again next year.

dang

Legend
Are the 69ers impressive on paper? Absolutely. Did they cruise thru the playoffs laying waste to everyone in their way? Absolutely not. They were losing to the upstart Packers until the last minute of the game. They were getting their asses handed to them by the good (but not great) Lions thru the first half of the conference championship. They had a good lead on the Chiefs but couldn’t finish the job as they were out coached and outplayed when it mattered most. And I only see them regressing next year as just about all of their “superstars” peaked 1-2 years ago. They will be a formidable NFC foe next year but nowhere near dominant. Packer, Lions, Rams and Cowboys will all gain on them IMO.

Last edited:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I do expect the 49ers to be one of the top teams in the NFC. But I also think they take a step back in quality of play next season. Their reign as a top seed could change. The Rams are going to give them a serious challenge for the division. If Detroit improves their defense they will be tough to beat. And after the 2024 season the 49er window will likely be closed while the Rams window will be wide open.
Really, it's Detroits turn to go all in. A lot of cap space, a very good core, and they got close this year. If they go out and spend big in FA, make a trade here or there, they could be the team to beat.

For example, maybe they go and give up a #2 pick for Reddick. Gives them a rusher opposite Hutchinson. Maybe an overpay, but a perfect fit for them for a couple of yrs.

Maybe they trade their #1 and a future high pick for Surtain?

They are the team to watch because of the cap room they have, they are maybe a few pieces away from getting to the SB, all their coaches are back, and they would certainly go all in to finally get that franchise to the SB. The NFC is there for the taking.

As for the Niners, they look like the 22' Eagles. They will lose some key pieces due to cap issues, without much added in FA if anything, and maybe lose a little air out of their sales as well. Could be a big SB hangover up there this year.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A year ago, it was fire sale time in Los Angeles.

Bye bye, Jalen Ramsey. See ya, Leonard Floyd. Thanks for stopping by, Bobby Wagner. Sorry things didn't work out, Allen Robinson. Good luck, Greg Gaines, Taylor Rapp, and Nick Scott.

The bills were coming due, everyone said. This is the price of "F them picks" and going "all in," the talking heads mused. The Rams are rebuilding... maybe tanking for Caleb Williams, some lamented.

But, then... a funny thing happened. The Rams found quality starters... even superstars... in the least likely places. The RB depth chart had a Pro Bowler. High end starters were obtained in Rounds 3 and 5 of the draft. Great fits at OG and CB were found on the bargain racks. And, in the end, the Rams made the playoffs and came within a hair of advancing.

Now, we can look forward to shopping with a healthy budget of draft picks and cap dollars, with another run in our crosshairs.

Meanwhile, in San Francisco...

After failing to get that long-desired confetti shower, the 49ers find themselves (depending on what site you believe) at or over the cap for 2024. While they don't have a huge number of starters heading into free agency (Chase Young, Oren Burks, Tashaun Gibson and John Feliciano being the most significant), there are black budgetary clouds on the horizon, with a 2025 free agent class that includes Arik Armstead, Brandon Aiyuk, Dre Greenlaw (who will likely start 2024 on PUP), Aaron Banks, Colton McKivitz, Deommodore Lenior, Talanoa Hufanga and Charvarius Ward - not to mention a certain young QB who, though not a FA, will likely be looking for a big raise.

Sure, the 49ers could reload like we did, but finding a Puka Nacua, Kobie Turner, Byron Young and Kyren Williams in the draft is easier said than done.

So, watch out, 49ers... there's a Piper who's looking for you!
"Piper, why are we heading to the cliff?" ~ Rat Boy

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
Really, it's Detroits turn to go all in. A lot of cap space, a very good core, and they got close this year. If they go out and spend big in FA, make a trade here or there, they could be the team to beat.

For example, maybe they go and give up a #2 pick for Reddick. Gives them a rusher opposite Hutchinson. Maybe an overpay, but a perfect fit for them for a couple of yrs.

Maybe they trade their #1 and a future high pick for Surtain?

They are the team to watch because of the cap room they have, they are maybe a few pieces away from getting to the SB, all their coaches are back, and they would certainly go all in to finally get that franchise to the SB. The NFC is there for the taking.

As for the Niners, they look like the 22' Eagles. They will lose some key pieces due to cap issues, without much added in FA if anything, and maybe lose a little air out of their sales as well. Could be a big SB hangover up there this year.
If we have a good off-season, we are primed to win the SB next year

JYB

Starter
A lot changes in a year. They also got through the season relatively healthy. It’s tough to repeat.
Good point. McCaffrey stayed healthy all year, which was unusual for him. After a long, tough year, I wouldn't expect him to be that lucky again next year.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
and everyone on San Fran's side are playing the blame game.

This is a good thing going into the off season..

That and rat boy firing the DC shows that he thinks the loss isn't his own fault.