Have the Rams paid the Piper and sent him north to San Francisco?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The Chase Young decision will be an interesting one. He's not a guy anyone should break the bank for.. but will whatever he's offered be enough to move him?

oldnotdead

Legend
Ultimately it will be on the Yorks What IMO they will see is that the team underperformed considering the money spent. Like so many before them they tried to buy their Lombardi and it didn't work. They have a choice. No changes and hope for a better result? Start a roster rebuild now spreading the hurt over a couple of years (most likely IMO). Or bite the bullet and begin rebuilding now.

Also, teams tend to reflect their coaching. If they choke in big games you have to take a critical look at the coaching staff starting with Shanahan. They could get a lot if they traded him. If you are going for a complete rebuild now this would be the time to make a change. at HC. The Niners haven't been the same since the Yorks kicked Eddie out. They spend as much money as he did but with less to show for it. Eddie created a culture there that bred success. The Yorks haven't figured out that team culture is a huge part of the equation.

All I'm saying is that Shanahan's career isn't as secure as some people might assume. This loss is a bigger indictment of him as HC as anything else. With what was looked at as the best roster talent in the NFL and to come up #2 is a fucking disaster. They have to be asking what will it take to win with Shanahan?

With their roster talent they won't have any problems attracting HCs. Any good HC would be set up to win now. It's why I think the first casualty might be Shanahan himself.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Ultimately it will be on the Yorks What IMO they will see is that the team underperformed considering the money spent. Like so many before them they tried to buy their Lombardi and it didn't work. They have a choice. No changes and hope for a better result? Start a roster rebuild now spreading the hurt over a couple of years (most likely IMO). Or bite the bullet and begin rebuilding now.

Also, teams tend to reflect their coaching. If they choke in big games you have to take a critical look at the coaching staff starting with Shanahan. They could get a lot if they traded him. If you are going for a complete rebuild now this would be the time to make a change. at HC. The Niners haven't been the same since the Yorks kicked Eddie out. They spend as much money as he did but with less to show for it. Eddie created a culture there that bred success. The Yorks haven't figured out that team culture is a huge part of the equation.

All I'm saying is that Shanahan's career isn't as secure as some people might assume. This loss is a bigger indictment of him as HC as anything else. With what was looked at as the best roster talent in the NFL and to come up #2 is a fucking disaster. They have to be asking what will it take to win with Shanahan?

With their roster talent they won't have any problems attracting HCs. Any good HC would be set up to win now. It's why I think the first casualty might be Shanahan himself.
No idea what the team looks like next year.

I have a hard time making a case that they under-performed.

Outside of acquiring a truly difference-making QB… don’t see any obvious ways to be much better.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

I have a hard time making a case that they under-performed.
That’s because you are being objective.

Suggesting that a team ‘underperformed’ when it lost in Overtime of the Super Bowl, is NOT being objective.

Also stating a team tried to ‘buy a Lombardi’ when almost all it’s top players are homegrown, is equally ridiculous.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm still unable to figure out how they have that many All Pro's and Pro Bowlers on their team and not over the cap currently. Sure, they have the cheapest starting QB in the league, and that is a lot of it, but they have:

the highest paid Edge (Bosa - 34m AAV backloaded I know)
2nd highest paid LT (Williams -31m/yr)
highest paid MLB (Warner - 24.4m/yr)
highly paid CB (Ward - 17.9m/yr)
highest paid DE (Armstead- 28.3m/yr)
AND the highest paid TE by 5m/yr (Kittle - 21.9/yr).

Seems ridiculous how they can afford all these guys but we have to take massive cap hits to get under our cap.

Instead of looking at the Average-Annual-Value, take a look at the cap-hit-per-year.

AAV includes un-guaranteed-$ ... much of which the player will never receive

2023 cap hits ...
Williams ... $12.6
Armstead ... $12M
Bosa ... $11M
Kittle ... $9.6M
Warner ... $9M
Ward ... only $6.4M
That totals a mere $60M

Now that same group currently has a huge jump in 2024 cap numbers.
You can look-up the details but the total for these six players is more than double ($140M).
However, that is before any re-structures.
And next year those cap hits go to:

Williams $31.5
Armstead $28.3
Bosa $14.6
Kittle $21.9
Warner $24.4
Ward $17.9

Total of $138.6

As you say A2M they can restructure cut and trade so they'll get under but yeah next year is not as nice on those particular cap hits as this year. Right now they're listed as having 44 players under contract for 2024 and are $570k under the projected cap.

Cjcinec

Rookie
Name
Chris C.
Niners have been very successful over the past three seasons. Two losses in the NFC Championship game and yesterday’s Super Bowl loss. Niners have played more games (60) over the regular season and playoffs than any other team in the last 3 years. They did so with mostly players on their current roster. The biggest reason that teams don’t usually play in the Super Bowl in the season after they play in one win or lose is the toll that the extra games take on your bodies. Niners team was dropping like flies late in the game. They have been fortunate from an injury point lately but have some older players like Kittle and Williams that are showing wear alon with Deebo who seems to miss 3-5 games a season and now Greenlaw likely out until December next year. I think the Niners stumble into 2024 and will have trouble getting more than 7-8 wins.

PARAM

Hall of Fame

Suggesting that a team ‘underperformed’ when it lost in Overtime of the Super Bowl, is NOT being objective.

Also stating a team tried to ‘buy a Lombardi’ when almost all it’s top players are homegrown, is equally ridiculous.
They've got another year with the window. The problem is, THIS YEAR was "supposed to be" and certainly looked like their year. You're dead on....they didn't underperform. But they did blow a great opportunity. And every year is different. Next year, they will have to contend in the division with a better Rams team and in the conference with a better Packers team and probably a better Lions team. Maybe even a better Cowboys team. It doesn't get easier.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I’m no cap expert but I assume that many players have backloaded contracts which is how they assembled that defensive talent. That means they need to make some moves to avoid carrying a ton of dead money. Plus after next season they have to pay Purdy or start all over with a new QB.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
They've got another year with the window. The problem is, THIS YEAR was "supposed to be" and certainly looked like their year. You're dead on....they didn't underperform. But they did blow a great opportunity. And every year is different. Next year, they will have to contend in the division with a better Rams team and in the conference with a better Packers team and probably a better Lions team. Maybe even a better Cowboys team. It doesn't get easier.
And McVay's the one that's probably most specifically building a 49er-killer.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Not to mention, McCaffery just had a fully healthy season. What’s the chances he does that again at 28?

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think they're going to lose much, and they have their first round pick again after the Trey Lance Debacle.

I just assume they're going to be very good with Shanny there as coach. Rams just need to be better.

I do think they had a very clean year on the health front, for the most part. We'll see if that continues in the future.
Most important thing I see to getting ahead of them is getting a devastating pass rush. Purdy just isn't the same when you get to him.
Your last paragraph sums it up perfectly. If they're healthy they'll still be a top 10 team.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm still unable to figure out how they have that many All Pro's and Pro Bowlers on their team and not over the cap currently. Sure, they have the cheapest starting QB in the league, and that is a lot of it, but they have:

the highest paid Edge (Bosa - 34m AAV backloaded I know)
2nd highest paid LT (Williams -31m/yr)
highest paid MLB (Warner - 24.4m/yr)
highly paid CB (Ward - 17.9m/yr)
highest paid DE (Armstead- 28.3m/yr)
AND the highest paid TE by 5m/yr (Kittle - 21.9/yr).

Seems ridiculous how they can afford all these guys but we have to take massive cap hits to get under our cap.
2 parts of it is Purdy and then their offensive line is held together by 5 cents.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Did we? We lost 8 games to Kupp and Williams.
I'd say that's good luck. Neither season-ending.
Niners lost Hufanga and Jackson to season ending injuries.

Rams had a very clean season on that front.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd say that's good luck. Neither season-ending.
Niners lost Hufanga and Jackson to season ending injuries.

Rams had a very clean season on that front.
Just unlucky in the sense of losing guys we couldn't afford to.

oldnotdead

Legend
Underperforming isn't just a matter of players not playing well as most here seem to think. From an ownership perspective, they didn't meet expectations and that would be underperforming from that view. It includes coaching. Shanahan is receiving a lot of heat because of his performance during the game. Certain calls such as taking the ball first in overtime was certainly a huge mistake. There apparently were other decisions he made that are questionable, such as becoming one dimensional when in the red zone during his overtime drive.

It's like McVay got outcoached against Belichick in that Super Bowl. Even Sean admitted it later. When you look at this Super Bowl game in its entirety then you must include the coaching. The team under Shanahan did not meet ownership's expectations. Ownership will look at past winners. The 49ers outspent both the Chiefs this year and the Rams in their Super Bowl win. So look at it from an ownership viewpoint. They got the best roster that money could buy and it wasn't enough. It was clear going into this game that the 49er roster was deemed "better". Ownership will look at it from the perspective of money spent results. They didn't outspend everyone just to come in at #2. As a former business owner, I wouldn't be happy at all. They will look for a scapegoat to placate their anger and don't assume they aren't mad. All I've been saying is that from an ownership perspective, the team didn't meet expectations and ergo they "underperformed". Be it player or coaching it won't matter to the Yorks and ultimately it will be them that will make the decisions who goes and who stays.

They are going to need to release at least two of their expensive players if not more to get under the cap. But this season showed that perhaps the man at the top can't get them that trophy as well. So IMO Shanahan's future will definitely be in their discussion. This was supposed to be "their" season and it wasn't. Just getting to the Bowl isn't the goal. The goal was the Lombardi that is what this IMO is all about. It was no different with the Rams when they made the move to "fuck them picks" on their Lombardi quest. They traded a good QB who potentially had years of growth left in him for an older QB who could win now.

Winning now is what it is all about when you spend that kind of money. The Rams were successful so now they are trying to build for long term success like KC has done. It's why Kroenke bit the bullet and paid those millions of $$$$ in dead cap as the price for that Lombardi. But now he wants to build a dynasty type of franchise.

All SF tried to do was emulate LA's success by buying a Lombardi before building a long term dynasty type franchise. They have failed this year so the question remains do they stay the course or go in a different direction?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Niner advocate!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's funny how some of us here were pointing out that McVay was trying to make the Rams more Niner like when a Super Bowl win was before them. But now they are overrated? lol