Have the Rams paid the Piper and sent him north to San Francisco?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
A year ago, it was fire sale time in Los Angeles.

Bye bye, Jalen Ramsey. See ya, Leonard Floyd. Thanks for stopping by, Bobby Wagner. Sorry things didn't work out, Allen Robinson. Good luck, Greg Gaines, Taylor Rapp, and Nick Scott.

The bills were coming due, everyone said. This is the price of "F them picks" and going "all in," the talking heads mused. The Rams are rebuilding... maybe tanking for Caleb Williams, some lamented.

But, then... a funny thing happened. The Rams found quality starters... even superstars... in the least likely places. The RB depth chart had a Pro Bowler. High end starters were obtained in Rounds 3 and 5 of the draft. Great fits at OG and CB were found on the bargain racks. And, in the end, the Rams made the playoffs and came within a hair of advancing.

Now, we can look forward to shopping with a healthy budget of draft picks and cap dollars, with another run in our crosshairs.

Meanwhile, in San Francisco...

After failing to get that long-desired confetti shower, the 49ers find themselves (depending on what site you believe) at or over the cap for 2024. While they don't have a huge number of starters heading into free agency (Chase Young, Oren Burks, Tashaun Gibson and John Feliciano being the most significant), there are black budgetary clouds on the horizon, with a 2025 free agent class that includes Arik Armstead, Brandon Aiyuk, Dre Greenlaw (who will likely start 2024 on PUP), Aaron Banks, Colton McKivitz, Deommodore Lenior, Talanoa Hufanga and Charvarius Ward - not to mention a certain young QB who, though not a FA, will likely be looking for a big raise.

Sure, the 49ers could reload like we did, but finding a Puka Nacua, Kobie Turner, Byron Young and Kyren Williams in the draft is easier said than done.

So, watch out, 49ers... there's a Piper who's looking for you!

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I think that their Super Bowl window may have slammed shut on their fingers last night.
Time for a crash!

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I don't think they're going to lose much, and they have their first round pick again after the Trey Lance Debacle.

I just assume they're going to be very good with Shanny there as coach. Rams just need to be better.

I do think they had a very clean year on the health front, for the most part. We'll see if that continues in the future.
Most important thing I see to getting ahead of them is getting a devastating pass rush. Purdy just isn't the same when you get to him.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
A lot changes in a year. They also got through the season relatively healthy. It’s tough to repeat.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think they're going to lose much, and they have their first round pick again after the Trey Lance Debacle.

I just assume they're going to be very good with Shanny there as coach. Rams just need to be better.

I do think they had a very clean year on the health front, for the most part. We'll see if that continues in the future.
Most important thing I see to getting ahead of them is getting a devastating pass rush. Purdy just isn't the same when you get to him.
Particularly if he’s worried about staying healthy until he gets that big contract! :sunglasses:

You’re right about their health. Age (Trent Williams) and history (CMC, Deebo) would suggest they are unlikely to be as fortunate again.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Particularly if he’s worried about staying healthy until he gets that big contract! :sunglasses:

You’re right about their health. Age (Trent Williams) and history (CMC, Deebo) would suggest they are unlikely to be as fortunate again.
Odds would suggest luck evens out.
Rams had great injury luck this year too.

0311rams

RomandeacondikersonwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Name
Madrid311
They should be fine and a pain in our ass next year however we are just as good if not better. Lots of changes again next year for us. Let's beat the 9ers all the games we play against them next year as a start. Go rams

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah the cap is laughing at them right now even with PurdyMediocre still on his rookie deal. Could be a lot of turnover this off season.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I'm still unable to figure out how they have that many All Pro's and Pro Bowlers on their team and not over the cap currently. Sure, they have the cheapest starting QB in the league, and that is a lot of it, but they have:

the highest paid Edge (Bosa - 34m AAV backloaded I know)
2nd highest paid LT (Williams -31m/yr)
highest paid MLB (Warner - 24.4m/yr)
highly paid CB (Ward - 17.9m/yr)
highest paid DE (Armstead- 28.3m/yr)
AND the highest paid TE by 5m/yr (Kittle - 21.9/yr).

Seems ridiculous how they can afford all these guys but we have to take massive cap hits to get under our cap.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
2024 is their last year. They can manage this upcoming 2024 cap wise. But after that, they are in a huge hole/problem.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
We sold out and won.
They sold out and LOST and the bills have not even been paid yet.
Our bills are paid and more young talent inbound.
Life is good.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I'm still unable to figure out how they have that many All Pro's and Pro Bowlers on their team and not over the cap currently. Sure, they have the cheapest starting QB in the league, and that is a lot of it, but they have:

the highest paid Edge (Bosa - 34m AAV backloaded I know)
2nd highest paid LT (Williams -31m/yr)
highest paid MLB (Warner - 24.4m/yr)
highly paid CB (Ward - 17.9m/yr)
highest paid DE (Armstead- 28.3m/yr)
AND the highest paid TE by 5m/yr (Kittle - 21.9/yr).

Seems ridiculous how they can afford all these guys but we have to take massive cap hits to get under our cap.
Instead of looking at the Average-Annual-Value, take a look at the cap-hit-per-year.

AAV includes un-guaranteed-$ ... much of which the player will never receive

2023 cap hits ...
Williams ... $12.6
Armstead ... $12M
Bosa ... $11M
Kittle ... $9.6M
Warner ... $9M
Ward ... only $6.4M
That totals a mere $60M

Now that same group currently has a huge jump in 2024 cap numbers.
You can look-up the details but the total for these six players is more than double ($140M).
However, that is before any re-structures.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In addition to what the 49ers are paying those guys above... what about Chase Young, Jason Hargrave, Mccaffery, Juczszuk, Aiyuk, Greenlaw, and Randy Gregory? WTF? How can they have so many big-name players/contracts and the Rams have around 3? I realize it's the salary cap so it must be equal in some respects but it sure seems lopsided. And I'm sure Purdy will get a new deal next year, even if the cap hit is in future years. I hope they pay him 50 mil per year (and BTW he is nothing more than a game manager) with a guarantee of 200 million (LMAO).

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
In addition to what the 49ers are paying those guys above... what about Chase Young, Jason Hargrave, McCaffery, Juczszuk, Aiyuk, Greenlaw, and Randy Gregory? WTF? How can they have so many big-name players/contracts and the Rams have around 3? I realize it's the salary cap so it must be equal in some respects but it sure seems lopsided.
Again, the Devil is in the detail. It's all about how the contracts are structured, and the guaranteed-$.

The seven players you listed above carried a combined 2023 salary cap hit of less than $28M ... Combined!

McCaffrey's 2023 cap hit was a tiny $3.4M.

Young and Gregory are free agents but the other five players you listed, currently carry a 2024 cap hit of $60M.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Instead of looking at the Average-Annual-Value, take a look at the cap-hit-per-year.

AAV includes un-guaranteed-$ ... much of which the player will never receive

2023 cap hits ...
Williams ... $12.6
Armstead ... $12M
Bosa ... $11M
Kittle ... $9.6M
Warner ... $9M
Ward ... only $6.4M
That totals a mere $60M

Now that same group currently has a huge jump in 2024 cap numbers.
You can look-up the details but the total for these six players is more than double ($140M).
However, that is before any re-structures.
Very glad to hear it doubles. Hope the shitters have to cut big name players like we essentially had to. Thank you for clearing it up!