Greg Robinson's move a work in progress/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Greg Robinson's move a work in progress
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/9501/robinsons-move-a-work-in-progress

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- At a time of year when nearly every NFL player is said to be making some sort of progress, "ahead of schedule," and/or in the best shape of his life, St. Louis RamsSt. Louis Rams rookie offensive lineman Greg Robinson is frustrated and he's not afraid to say it.

The No. 2 overall pick in May's NFL draft is making the transition from left tackle to starting left guard for the Rams. It's a move that has Robinson openly acknowledging that it's a work in progress -- progress that isn't coming fast enough for his taste.

"It's frustrating that I'm not up to pace right now because the playbook is more intense and things are changing but once I get back to where I'm comfortable, things will calm down and I can be myself out there," Robinson said.

When asked why he's frustrated given that he's participated in less than a dozen NFL practices, Robinson offered another refreshingly honest assessment of his progress.

"I didn't know what to expect, honestly," Robinson said. "I put a lot of pressure on myself because I like to challenge myself. It's something I want to do and just stand out to the coaches and let them be comfortable with their choice."

Robinson's desire to learn his new position hasn't been limited to words during the team's organized team activities. He's spent plenty of time picking the brains of veteran linemen such as Jake Long, Rodger Saffold and Scott Wells as well as offensive line coach Paul Boudreau. He's also stayed on the field after practice in order to get extra work.

From the outside, the move from left tackle, a position widely regarded as the toughest to play because of the athleticism and ability of the top pass-rushers, to guard might seem simple enough but Robinson says there's more to it than meets the eye. And since Robinson hasn't played inside since high school, he's essentially starting from scratch.

"It's just everything happens faster inside," Robinson said. "Outside you have a little more time to kick. The guys are faster but these guys are just quick and trained to rush the passer. It's just about keeping my feet working and knowing when to pull.

"Right now it's a lot of thinking going on, it causes me to move a little slower. Once I get up to speed, I can move with the snap count and stuff like that."

Robinson also isn't getting much of a break in terms of working his way up slowly. He's been taking repetitions with the first team offense at left guard from the moment he arrived in St. Louis and has been working exclusively in that spot during OTAs. Since those practices aren't padded and don't allow for contact, it's been even more difficult for him to gauge his progress.

But offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer is pleased with the rate of Robinson's improvement while acknowledging that it isn't going to happen overnight.

"I think it's going to be an adjustment," Schottenheimer said. "He's doing good. New system, new position ... it's going to take a little time. You can see out there how naturally talented he is, how strong he is, how athletic he is, but there's been some growing pains and there will be."

Practicing without pads has also left little opportunity for Robinson to polish his technique as a pass protector, the area of his game most in need of work as he transitions to the NFL. That will become more of a point of emphasis in training camp when linemen can have more than limited contact.

While Robinson is going to spend most of his time settling on the interior, he says the plan for training camp is to get some work at tackle, the position he projects to for the long term.

"Coach mentioned that I will get some pass rush at tackle but I don't know how in detail he's going to go with me playing there," Robinson said. "I think I'm going to stay at guard for the most part."

The Rams and Robinson will wrap up OTAs this week and all players will be asked to return in shape and ready to compete for training camp. Robinson plans to go home to see his family and spend time training in Florida and Arizona.

But you'll be hard-pressed to find any Ram more eager to return to work in St. Louis.

"It's been good," Robinson said. "I started off slow, started to pick it up a bit. It's coming slowly. I'm sad this has to end, I need a little more work honestly. I'm anxious to get into camp and continue working during this little break we are about to get."

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
"It's frustrating that I'm not up to pace right now because the playbook is more intense and things are changing but once I get back to where I'm comfortable, things will calm down and I can be myself out there," Robinson said.

Also said by the entire 2011 Rams offense.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I hope he picks it up. We new that he was a bigger project with more upside than the plug and play Matthews. I just hope he finds his comfort zone although I have my concerns. GL Robinson we need you.......Now

Dick84

I respect a guy who knows what he doesn't know and puts in the work to figure it out. I like his attitude.

SierraRam

Recreational User
I respect a guy who knows what he doesn't know and puts in the work to figure it out. I like his attitude.

Yeah, It's actually refreshing to hear this kind of honesty out of a guy with unlimited skills and expectations. He's lives football - He'll figure it out.

When it's third and one, you know Zac is following the big fella. First down Rams.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Robinson is only 21 yrs old, only two yrs as a starter in a real basic run offense ...left early for the draft.....yes that's one large step up. Its a good plan to start him @ OLG and let him learn between two pro bowl type class acts like Long & Wells!

Lets just hope that we can get one more full 2014 season out of Jake Long @ OLT. When Jake can no longer hold off the speeders @ OLT then Robinson can take up his rightful spot back @ OLT. Jake Long could flip into the vacant right OT post in 2015 when Barksdale departs for UFA'cy.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Robinson is only 21 yrs old, only two yrs as a starter in a real basic run offense ...left early for the draft.....yes that's one large step up. Its a good plan to start him @ OLG and let him learn between two pro bowl type class acts like Long & Wells!

Lets just hope that we can get one more full 2014 season out of Jake Long @ OLT. When Jake can no longer hold off the speeders @ OLT then Robinson can take up his rightful spot back @ OLT. Jake Long could flip into the vacant right OT post in 2015 when Barksdale departs for UFA'cy.

I agree BonifayRam.

Based on his track record of football accomplishment, his maturity and desire, and not to mention his athleticism, we seem to have little to fear about Robinson's play this year.

He has an outstanding coach in Boudreau. And he will be given pass blocking lessons by the likes of Brockers, Langford, Donald, and Carrington.

I expect him to be ready to play well by opening day. Maybe not Pro Bowl level, but ready to play well, nonetheless.

By midseason, we'll likely be asking ourselves just what were we worrying about in the first place?

Philly5

Rookie
He will feel more confident about his progress once they put on pads and start hitting.

FRO

Legend
I was worried about picking someone so raw that high. He has physical tools to be outstanding, and I hope he ends up being outstanding. I would have picked a surer thing personally. I'm happy Robinson is a Ram though.

PolarBear

Rookie
I hope he picks it up. We new that he was a bigger project with more upside than the plug and play Matthews. I just hope he finds his comfort zone although I have my concerns. GL Robinson we need you.......Now
Agreed. I think Mathews will struggle his rookie year too because of more powerful edge rushers. As with needing Robinson now, it helps that we have Davin Joseph as an insurance policy. I have confidence Robinson will be able to pick guard up and excel at it by the end of the season, but I expect some struggles early in the season. Adjusting to the nfl is hard enough, adjusting to playing a new position for the first time too will be certainly be a big project.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Big G's true learning experience will come live during pre season. I hope he gets a ton of reps in those games because sometimes(even with very talented ppl) the only way to learn and get comfortable(get past the mental lack of confidence) is to get out there and....[wait for it]

th

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
If he's getting experience at tackle, he will quickly have to learn how to pass block. Quinn will eat him alive.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Greg Robinson: 'I'm not up to pace' with Rams

By Marc Sessler
Around the League Writer

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000360696/printable/greg-robinson-im-not-up-to-pace-with-rams

Greg Robinson is viewed as one of the safest offensive linemen to arrive through the draft in many years, but the St. Louis Rams rookie is struggling with his switch from bookend to guard.

"It's frustrating that I'm not up to pace right now because the playbook is more intense and things are changing but once I get back to where I'm comfortable, things will calm down and I can be myself out there," Robinson said this week, per Nick Wagoner of ESPN.com.

The No. 2 overall pick will ultimately make his way back to left tackle -- where he'll stay for years to come -- but for now Robinson is busy learning a position that he hasn't played since high school.

"I didn't know what to expect, honestly," said Robinson, after playing exclusively with the first team all offseason. "I put a lot of pressure on myself because I like to challenge myself. It's something I want to do and just stand out to the coaches and let them be comfortable with their choice."

Play-caller Brian Schottenheimer crowed about "how strong he is, how athletic he is," calling the former Auburn blocker a "naturally talented" athlete bound to pick up the system in time.

Robinson is battling through some stuff, but he's already won us over with an honest quote or two that flies in the face of this silly season's rash of hyper-tired storylines.

In the latest episode of the "Around The League Podcast," the heroes discuss the winners and losers of minicamp season.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Even though I wasn't a Robinson guy, I can't imagine any other draft pick doing more to win me over. The dude's head is in the right place, he's very humble and coachable, but very hungry.

I'm sure he'll be fine.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
I am pleased to hear that he feels that he has some things to learn. While he is the OLT of the future, getting his feet wet at guard is huge. It is rare that a rookie can step in and be ready on day one at LOT. It sure didn't happen last year!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Greg Robinson: 'I'm not up to pace' with Rams
  • _Sessler-65x90.jpg
  • By Marc Sessler
  • Around the League Writer
  • Published: June 20, 2014 at 04:49 p.m.
  • Updated: June 20, 2014 at 05:41 p.m.

Greg Robinson is viewed as one of the safest offensive linemen to arrive through the draft in many years, but the St. Louis Rams rookie is struggling with his switch from bookend to guard.

"It's frustrating that I'm not up to pace right now because the playbook is more intense and things are changing but once I get back to where I'm comfortable, things will calm down and I can be myself out there," Robinson said this week, per Nick Wagoner of ESPN.com.

The No. 2 overall pick will ultimately make his way back to left tackle -- where he'll stay for years to come -- but for now Robinson is busy learning a position that he hasn't played since high school.

"I didn't know what to expect, honestly," said Robinson, after playing exclusively with the first team all offseason. "I put a lot of pressure on myself because I like to challenge myself. It's something I want to do and just stand out to the coaches and let them be comfortable with their choice."

Play-caller Brian Schottenheimer crowed about "how strong he is, how athletic he is," calling the former Auburn blocker a "naturally talented" athlete bound to pick up the system in time.

Robinson is battling through some stuff, but he's already won us over with an honest quote or two that flies in the face of this silly season's rash of hyper-tired storylines.

In the latest episode of the "Around The League Podcast," the heroes discuss the winners and losers of minicamp
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000360696/printable/greg-robinson-im-not-up-to-pace-with-rams

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is actually refreshing. I think the guy is going to be great. He competes, most of all against himself.