GREG ROBINSON – LEFT TACKLE, ST. LOUIS RAMS

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Robinson can get the job done? then why isnt he?

From what I see, he is. He's not playing like Joe Thomas but I've seen guys that were plain bad LTs. Robinson ain't that. Robinson isn't getting whooped from start to finish. He has a few plays each game where he makes mistakes/struggles. That's inconsistency. Not a lack of ability. And as Bentley pointed out, that inconsistency is due to his mechanics. It's fixable.

TexasRam

Legend
As one of Robinson's biggest critics on this board I will say this after reviewing last game.

Robinson does have an ability to take a defender out of a play with the power of a great tackle.

His biggest glaring issue in my book is hand usage. Inability to lock on to a defender without holding. Defenders shake loose of Roninson with great ease. This is constantly seen in both run and pass blocking.

I don't really see any way Robinson is going to fix his bad hand usage before he gets benched sometime next year. The holding penalties and turnstile blocking are costing the Rams game after game.

I hope he gets it fixed because he does show the ability to be a powerful player, I just don't think he can improve that much quick enough.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
In 2015 Rams went into this season with no hint of an ideal that Greg Robinson would be an issue as the starter @ OLT. .
That is just not true. They knew he was a "prospect" and would need to "develop." Mathews was right there ready to go yet they decided to roll-the-dice once again and lost.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
That is just not true. They knew he was a "prospect" and would need to "develop." Mathews was right there ready to go yet they decided to roll-the-dice once again and lost.
The Matthews vs Robinson decision was back in May of 2014 not 2015.

If you say I am wrong & you say that the Rams knew that the OLT starter Greg Robinson was going to be the negative event that he has been..... then Fisher & the Ram Org. just basically ignored what they knew was coming:thinking:.......this would be very upsetting for me to accept:mad:.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Thought he did ok in most of the game against Tampa. I think he's getting better.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
if it takes competition for him to grasp the basics of his job, then there is a problem, he should work to be the best he can be no matter who is backing him up, his pride should be enough to make him want to be the best LT he can be.
I tend to agree with you here tony

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Thought he did ok in most of the game against Tampa. I think he's getting better.

Matthews finally put it together this season after a very rough start to his career. So that does give me some hope, since he was much more pro ready than GRob coming out. I'm with you, though, and think he is playing a little more consistently. Sure would be nice to see him finish the last two strong though.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
All of you GRob bashers fail to realize given how raw he was coming out of college, and how young he is, how much time its going to take for him to get to a consistent NFL LT level. He's progressing and learning. Give him another off season, and one more year (16 reg season games) before we call him a "bust".

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Four Questions here......:bueller:

Could we at least agree that Greg Robinson on field performance during the month of December is better than his earlier season play?

Or do some members just see zero improvement?

GRob has started & played most every snap for 14 games this season. The post directly right of him OLG has seen six different OL'ers playing this post during these 14 games.
#1-Jamon Brown (Rookie)
#2-Rodger Saffold (weak & injured)
#3-Demetrius Rhaney (Rookie)
#4-Cody Wichmann(Rookie)
#5-Andrew Donnal (Rookie)
#6-As of late veteran Garrett Reynolds

Would all those half dozen OLG's have made GRob a bit jittery, more prone to mistakes ?

Does this fact have any merit to it?

Alan

Legend
jrry32 with eyes like an eagle:
]From what I see, he is. He's not playing like Joe Thomas but I've seen guys that were plain bad LTs. Robinson ain't that. Robinson isn't getting whooped from start to finish. He has a few plays each game where he makes mistakes/struggles. That's inconsistency. Not a lack of ability. And as Bentley pointed out, that inconsistency is due to his mechanics. It's fixable.
I pretty much hone in on the O-line in the games and that's not what I see. What you said might be true when it comes to pass pro but I'm totally unimpressed with his run blocking. Of course my eyesight sucks compared to your vision but do you think I'm missing something? Kind of rhetorical since you already said I'm wrong but I'm just looking for confirmation.

I see some improvement @BonifayRam but the bar was so low that I'm not sure what that says. I'm not sure I see any major connection with the others rookies on the line.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I pretty much hone in on the O-line in the games and that's not what I see. What you said might be true when it comes to pass pro but I'm totally unimpressed with his run blocking. Of course my eyesight sucks compared to your vision but do you think I'm missing something? Kind of rhetorical since you already said I'm wrong but I'm just looking for confirmation.

I see some improvement @BonifayRam but the bar was so low that I'm not sure what that says. I'm not sure I see any major connection with the others rookies on the line.

Did I say that? I apologize if I did. I might disagree with your opinion but that doesn't make you wrong or me right. It's not a yes or no fact.

As far as run blocking goes, I can't say. I've focused more on his pass blocking. The issue with run blocking is that it's strongly tied to unit cohesion. More of the sum of its parts than individual play.

Alan

Legend
jrry32 from out of nowhere:
Did I say that? I apologize if I did. I might disagree with your opinion but that doesn't make you wrong or me right. It's not a yes or no fact.
:LOL: No, seriously, my vision sucks so I just wanted to know if you were including his run blocking in when you made that assertion. Plus, no you didn't say that to me because I just jumped into this conversation.

I hear what you said about the O-line needing cohesion to be effective at run blocking both as a unit and individually but... When we were thinking about drafting him we only had his run blocking to look at and a big part of that was his athleticism and ability to frequently pancake his opponent. You didn't expect him to be much better at run blocking than he is? I mean, it's still most often beating the man in front of you in our run blocking scheme right?

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They have super green rookie Isaiah Battle who here going into wk 13 of this season has yet to dress for a NFL game.

He won't be super green next year. Hopefully he matures. Ton of potential, just like G-Rob.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The real problem here is that the Rams do not have the luxury of addressing LT this offseason.

I don't think LT is a problem. The Rams have Greg Robinson, who has a huge upside and is under contract for at least two more years. They have Isiah Battle, who also has a huge upside and is under contract, and they have a proven left tackle in Roger Saffold. I don't care is Saffold gets hurt. He is paid well... play him where you need him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
:LOL: No, seriously, my vision sucks so I just wanted to know if you were including his run blocking in when you made that assertion. Plus, no you didn't say that to me because I just jumped into this conversation.

I hear what you said about the O-line needing cohesion to be effective at run blocking both as a unit and individually but... When we were thinking about drafting him we only had his run blocking to look at and a big part of that was his athleticism and ability to frequently pancake his opponent. You didn't expect him to be much better at run blocking than he is? I mean, it's still most often beating the man in front of you in our run blocking scheme right?

Frankly, I was hoping he'd be much better than he is now. But the Rams decided to draft a raw player and try to mold him. I was a Jake Matthews guy because he was more pro ready...but I was okay with the Greg Robinson pick.

In our run blocking scheme? I don't think so. We run a lot of zone blocking. That takes a lot of cohesion. It's not like pure power blocking (which also takes cohesion but is more individually based) where you can just take the guy in front of you for a ride on a lot of plays.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I don't know if it's from his past shoulder problems or what but historically if Saffold plays on the left side for more than five minutes he will get injured, so it's best if he stays at right guard.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
In our run blocking scheme? I don't think so. We run a lot of zone blocking. That takes a lot of cohesion. It's not like pure power blocking (which also takes cohesion but is more individually based) where you can just take the guy in front of you for a ride on a lot of plays.
I can second this. Zone blocking is incredibly situational and requires a lot of trust and communication on top of quick thinking. Power blocking is a lot easier on the brain and often each block boils down to a simple 1v1 matchup. It was weird seeing them switch to more zone blocking, most of our guys are built to be power blockers.

Alan

Legend
jrry32 seeing a change:
Frankly, I was hoping he'd be much better than he is now. But the Rams decided to draft a raw player and try to mold him. I was a Jake Matthews guy because he was more pro ready...but I was okay with the Greg Robinson pick.

I was a Matthews guy myself. Still am. :LOL:

When did we shift our emphasis from a power blocking scheme? I was under the impression that we only occasionally did some zone blocking.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was a Matthews guy myself. Still am. :LOL:

When did we shift our emphasis from a power blocking scheme? I was under the impression that we only occasionally did some zone blocking.

We've been running a ton of zone blocking this year. The switch was made this year after Schotty left.