GREG ROBINSON – LEFT TACKLE, ST. LOUIS RAMS

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams can easily have FOUR Ram OL'ers with LEFT OT experience at various degrees & levels under contract in 2016. My solution/suggestion has been competition & teamwork to bring this troublesome OL post up to the optimal level needed to win constantly. This Ram Org. can address this without too much of additional cap cost.

The new OC could also "chip" (something not seen much around here) in with some proper play planing in pass protection with a TE (like Lance Kendricks) throwing his shoulder into the edge rusher to help as he goes out to run his pattern.

If they feel that Robinson- Saffold- Battle- Williams can not possibly be the solution then its going to cost big $$ to purchase an experience younger veteran healthy starting NFL OLT! Another issue is there are very few available & only one that is decent & he plays in Buffalo NY (Cordy Glenn). I thinking that Rodger Saffold could be the magic needed here @ OLT with Grob.

Going back to the draft to address this looks awful repetitious & sure does not feel right currently to bring in another priceless high valued youthful project when we have a half dozen already going on:palm:.

I think this teams best course is to give Robinson another season with a good solid Organizational plan without throwing in the towel on this former #2 overall slection. :bueller:

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The real problem here is that the Rams do not have the luxury of addressing LT this offseason. They need to get a QB in this draft, and another WR who can run an effin route and catch the ball. They have enormous decisions to make for cap moves from the overpaid guys who need contracts redone or cut outright, not to mention FAs in the secondary.

They need to get GRob right. The dude has looked bad, but he has the talent and the Rams staff needs to get him rolling. They went with the youth movement, great LTs do not hit FA, so they gotta follow it through on that OL now.

IMO things will be ok on the OL next season. Williams and Battle will both push GRob, but again the best option is GRob finally gets it together. This team needs him to live up to his draft status.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Screw BPA. If there's a QB that I think can be a franchise caliber guy available, I'm taking him.

Well yeah, but wouldn't a franchise level QB automatically be the BPA?

I think it's difficult to fix mechanical flaws when a player has to play a game every Sunday. And learning how to play LT as well as the playbook tends to take your focus away from other things. Do you remember Bradford talking about this a few years ago?(how some mechanical issues that he wanted to work on were pushed down his list of priorities because he had to learn the offense)

Learning how to play LT....despite playing LT in college. Only the Rams would view this as par for the course.

"Shaming" Robinson may not be the best method for his development

Perhaps "forcing him to compete" is a better choice of words. Obviously I don't mean hazing or something like that. I think providing competition would actually develop him faster. It's funny how losing your job can make you buckle down. I don't know why that's considered a bad thing all of the sudden. It is professional football after all. Bottom line for me, if there's a FA who looks tempting I'd take him. If a LT is clearly the BPA come draft day I'm taking him, just like Gurley and Donald. Both weren't considered positions of need, yet where would we be without them. Just because GRob is a 2nd overall and Tre Mason was a 3rd rounder, the draft strategy suddenly changes? Mason had much more success that GRob has had, yet was deemed replaceable by a better player and now fills a different role.

I'd love nothing more than for GRob to turn it on and show some of that upside the last few games. It would certainly make the off season much easier. But without that the franchise would be irresponsible not to look for additional options for next year. Another year of this should not be an option.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well yeah, but wouldn't a franchise level QB automatically be the BPA?

Some people would say no.

Learning how to play LT....despite playing LT in college. Only the Rams would view this as par for the course.

Nope. Quite a few other teams do the same thing. Especially when they ask young players to make temporary position switches.

Perhaps "forcing him to compete" is a better choice of words. Obviously I don't mean hazing or something like that. I think providing competition would actually develop him faster. It's funny how losing your job can make you buckle down. I don't know why that's considered a bad thing all of the sudden. It is professional football after all. Bottom line for me, if there's a FA who looks tempting I'd take him. If a LT is clearly the BPA come draft day I'm taking him, just like Gurley and Donald. Both weren't considered positions of need, yet where would we be without them. Just because GRob is a 2nd overall and Tre Mason was a 3rd rounder, the draft strategy suddenly changes? Mason had much more success that GRob has had, yet was deemed replaceable by a better player and now fills a different role.

If LT is clearly the "BPA", I'm trading the pick.

Yes, Mason being a 3rd rounder and Robinson being a #2 overall pick is a pretty important (and substantial) difference.

Not to mention the fact that Gurley plays a position that has a greater impact. What is drafting another LT going to do for a team that lacks a QB and weapons in the passing game? It's wasting a premium pick on a position where we have a young talented guy that hasn't had enough time to prove whether he can figure out or not.

I'd love nothing more than for GRob to turn it on and show some of that upside the last few games. It would certainly make the off season much easier. But without that the franchise would be irresponsible not to look for additional options for next year. Another year of this should not be an option.

The franchise would be irresponsible to use a first round pick on a LT.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Nope. Quite a few other teams do the same thing. Especially when they ask young players to make temporary position switches.

Not at #2 overall. And he's not being asked to do anything but study his film and prepare.

If LT is clearly the "BPA", I'm trading the pick.

Takes two to tango.

Yes, Mason being a 3rd rounder and Robinson being a #2 overall pick is a pretty important (and substantial) difference.

Not on the field.

Not to mention the fact that Gurley plays a position that has a greater impact.

Disagree.

eam that lacks a QB and weapons in the passing game? It's wasting a premium pick on a position where we have a young talented guy that hasn't had enough time to prove whether he can figure out or not.

Nobody was saying that after drafting Donald when we had multiple first rounders on the DL. Technically, at the time, we didn't "need" him either.

The franchise would be irresponsible to use a first round pick on a LT.

The franchise would be irresponsible not to draft the best guy available. That was considered an optimal drafting strategy last year on this board, don't know why that's changed all of the sudden.

I don't think either of us are going to change our minds. The only thing that will get me to agree with you on this is for GRob to prove it over these last few games. By prove it, I mean actually be an asset the entire game instead of four or five good plays amongst the penalties and mistakes.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not at #2 overall. And he's not being asked to do anything but study his film and prepare.

If that's all he's asked to do, how can he fix his mechanical flaws?

Takes two to tango.

The LT position is overrated and overdrafted. Won't be hard to find a team willing to move up for one.

Not on the field.

Yes, on the field. Read what Bentley said about Robinson's talent level. If Mason were 6'0" 230 with 4.4 speed, impressive cutting ability, and the power to run through tacklers...I bet the Rams would have been a bit more patient.

When you draft a raw player with top tier physical tools, you tend to try and give that guy every chance to develop. The same isn't true of a 3rd round pick with only above average to good talent.

Disagree.

Okay. You seem to believe Greg Robinson is a major problem at LT. And I think we all recognize the issues our interior OL has had with the injuries. Look what Gurley has offered this offense.

Now, flip the scenarios. Give us a LT with talent equivalent to Gurley's at HB and a HB with talent equivalent to GR's at LT.(i.e. an elite LT and a mediocre to bad HB depending your stance on GR's play this year) Where does our offense stand? Hell, go look at Dallas's running game with McFadden and Randle (before he was cut). They have the most talented OL in the NFL with one of the least talented HB cores and haven't come close to Gurley's production.

That's with an OL that has an elite LT and arguably the NFL's best interior OL. We'd have an elite LT and the same issues on the interior. The OL, more than any other unit, is a sum of its parts. The HB is not that. One elite HB can have a gigantic impact. One elite OT on a OL otherwise full of holes and injury isn't going to be able to do enough on his own to make up for the problems with the sum of its parts.

In fact, HBs touch the ball more than any player except for the QB. With the amount of volume they have in the offense's game-plan, a top tier HB is an incredibly impactful player. The same is not true of the LT...especially not in today's NFL. Norv Turner is one of the few OCs that runs an old school offense where the LT still retains all the value he used to have. These new school spread offenses that focus on spreading the field horizontally and getting the ball out quickly do not place the same value on LTs that the old school vertically oriented deep drop offenses did. You need a LT that can take away the corner on a 7 step drop. On a 3 step drop, the LT just can't get beat inside. Odds are he can ride his man past the QB unless he's facing a DE with ridiculous bend like Robert Quinn.(then he can just grab him around the neck to keep him from getting to the QB or drag him down as he turns the corner)

Nobody was saying that after drafting Donald when we had multiple first rounders on the DL. Technically, at the time, we didn't "need" him either.

Because it didn't apply to the Donald pick. Donald was replacing Kendall Langford. Not Michael Brockers. Langford, like Brockers, was a run stuffer that didn't offer great pass rush ability. Donald brought a skill-set that we didn't have on our defense and replaced an overpaid veteran. He brought a skill-set that could elevate our defense to the next level. Not to mention the fact that Donald was an absolutely dominant player. He should have gone top 5 and would have gone top 5 if he was 6'3" 300 pounds. Who is that guy in this class? Who is that good that we can't possibly pass on him? Cause, frankly, if there is a guy that good...fine...take him. But what LT is Donald good?

Drafting a LT to replace Robinson does none of those things. Robinson isn't an overpaid vet. The rookie LT isn't going to elevate anything if we still have nothing to work with at QB and WR/TE. What he might do is displace Greg Robinson before Robinson has a chance to figure it all out. Maybe Robinson doesn't figure it out...and if he doesn't...then we deal with it. 3 years is a fair amount of time for Greg. But if he does figure it out, you've just wasted a premium pick because you're going to have to play one of the two guys out of position and you've neglected a position where that pick would have mattered more.

The franchise would be irresponsible not to draft the best guy available. That was considered an optimal drafting strategy last year on this board, don't know why that's changed all of the sudden.

Best player available has never been an optimal drafting strategy. Best value available is. You can't ignore need and positional value when drafting. LT doesn't have the same value to this team that other positions do. If the BPA is a LT, trade him to a team that needs him. There will be at least a couple teams willing to offer a good deal for the LT. This team has too many other real needs at positions where the talent should be equally strong.

I don't think either of us are going to change our minds. The only thing that will get me to agree with you on this is for GRob to prove it over these last few games. By prove it, I mean actually be an asset the entire game instead of four or five good plays amongst the penalties and mistakes.

Not going to happen. He's not going to fix his flaws in a few days of practice. He'll have a shot at doing it this off-season. That will give him the time and reps to get it done. During the season, it won't happen. You don't get enough reps and time to focus on those minute details while trying to prepare for your next opponent.(even if you know those flaws are present)

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
If that's all he's asked to do, how can he fix his mechanical flaws?

The LT position is overrated and overdrafted. Won't be hard to find a team willing to move up for one.

Yes, on the field. Read what Bentley said about Robinson's talent level. If Mason were 6'0" 230 with 4.4 speed, impressive cutting ability, and the power to run through tacklers...I bet the Rams would have been a bit more patient.

When you draft a raw player with top tier physical tools, you tend to try and give that guy every chance to develop. The same isn't true of a 3rd round pick with only above average to good talent.

Okay. You seem to believe Greg Robinson is a major problem at LT. And I think we all recognize the issues our interior OL has had with the injuries. Look what Gurley has offered this offense.

Now, flip the scenarios. Give us a LT with talent equivalent to Gurley's at HB and a HB with talent equivalent to GR's at LT.(i.e. an elite LT and a mediocre to bad HB depending your stance on GR's play this year) Where does our offense stand? Hell, go look at Dallas's running game with McFadden and Randle (before he was cut). They have the most talented OL in the NFL with one of the least talented HB cores and haven't come close to Gurley's production.

That's with an OL that has an elite LT and arguably the NFL's best interior OL. We'd have an elite LT and the same issues on the interior. The OL, more than any other unit, is a sum of its parts. The HB is not that. One elite HB can have a gigantic impact. One elite OT on a OL otherwise full of holes and injury isn't going to be able to do enough on his own to make up for the problems with the sum of its parts.

In fact, HBs touch the ball more than any player except for the QB. With the amount of volume they have in the offense's game-plan, a top tier HB is an incredibly impactful player. The same is not true of the LT...especially not in today's NFL. Norv Turner is one of the few OCs that runs an old school offense where the LT still retains all the value he used to have. These new school spread offenses that focus on spreading the field horizontally and getting the ball out quickly do not place the same value on LTs that the old school vertically oriented deep drop offenses did. You need a LT that can take away the corner on a 7 step drop. On a 3 step drop, the LT just can't get beat inside. Odds are he can ride his man past the QB unless he's facing a DE with ridiculous bend like Robert Quinn.(then he can just grab him around the neck to keep him from getting to the QB or drag him down as he turns the corner)

Because it didn't apply to the Donald pick. Donald was replacing Kendall Langford. Not Michael Brockers. Langford, like Brockers, was a run stuffer that didn't offer great pass rush ability. Donald brought a skill-set that we didn't have on our defense and replaced an overpaid veteran. He brought a skill-set that could elevate our defense to the next level. Not to mention the fact that Donald was an absolutely dominant player. He should have gone top 5 and would have gone top 5 if he was 6'3" 300 pounds. Who is that guy in this class? Who is that good that we can't possibly pass on him? Cause, frankly, if there is a guy that good...fine...take him. But what LT is Donald good?

Drafting a LT to replace Robinson does none of those things. Robinson isn't an overpaid vet. The rookie LT isn't going to elevate anything if we still have nothing to work with at QB and WR/TE. What he might do is displace Greg Robinson before Robinson has a chance to figure it all out. Maybe Robinson doesn't figure it out...and if he doesn't...then we deal with it. 3 years is a fair amount of time for Greg. But if he does figure it out, you've just wasted a premium pick because you're going to have to play one of the two guys out of position and you've neglected a position where that pick would have mattered more.

Best player available has never been an optimal drafting strategy. Best value available is. You can't ignore need and positional value when drafting. LT doesn't have the same value to this team that other positions do. If the BPA is a LT, trade him to a team that needs him. There will be at least a couple teams willing to offer a good deal for the LT. This team has too many other real needs at positions where the talent should be equally strong.

Not going to happen. He's not going to fix his flaws in a few days of practice. He'll have a shot at doing it this off-season. That will give him the time and reps to get it done. During the season, it won't happen. You don't get enough reps and time to focus on those minute details while trying to prepare for your next opponent.(even if you know those flaws are present)

I disagree with large portions of this. We've had variations of this same conversation before, so no need to retype why. Suffice it to say we have very different outlooks on the importance of some positions, drafting strategy, and what's best for the team.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree with large portions of this. We've had variations of this same conversation before, so no need to retype why. Suffice it to say we have very different outlooks on the importance of some positions, drafting strategy, and what's best for the team.

Browns' two leading rushers (Crowell and Duke Johnson):
233 carries
838 rushing yards
3.6 yards per carry
3 rushing TDs

Todd Gurley by himself:
189 carries
975 rushing yards
5.2 yards per carry
8 rushing TDs

The Browns have arguably the best LT in football.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Browns' two leading rushers (Crowell and Duke Johnson):
233 carries
838 rushing yards
3.6 yards per carry
3 rushing TDs

Todd Gurley by himself:
189 carries
975 rushing yards
5.2 yards per carry
8 rushing TDs

The Browns have arguably the best LT in football.

And we have the last place offense in the league. With arguably the best RB in football. Guess maybe neither position is worth squat then. Listen my kid won't do his homework, so we'll have to agree to disagree so I can deal with that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And we have the last place offense in the league. With arguably the best RB in football. Guess maybe neither position is worth squat then. Listen my kid won't do his homework, so we'll have to agree to disagree so I can deal with that.

Our rushing attack is one of the best in football. #6 in rushing yards, #1 in yards per carry, and #9 in TDs.

Imagine how bad our offensive numbers would be with the Browns rushing attack and our passing attack. Gurley can't fix the passing attack. But he can certainly do his job and do it well.

Good luck with your kid. Just tell him/her that if he/she wants to avoid coal in his stocking, he/she might want to do his/her homework. ;)

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Fans, as a whole, have no patience for development.
No point in creating a hole at LT if it's not needed.
Development should be the guy coming out of college has ALL the fundamentals down and now needs to refine those for the Pro level. Not learning from scratch.
There is already a hole at LT and it needs filled.
The Rams are in a huge hole now thanks to G Rob. Not only do they need a QB they need a LT now again and they have to find them for next season.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Development should be the guy coming out of college has ALL the fundamentals down and now needs to refine those for the Pro level. Not learning from scratch.
The Rams are in a huge hole now thanks to G Rob. Not only do they need a QB they need a LT now again and they have to find them for next season.

That's exactly the type of player that development is needed for.

The Rams don't need a LT for next year. That's Greg Robinson. If they want to address it beyond that point, that's their choice.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
One would HOPE & think that the Rams 2016 approach to your Identified H O L E @ OLT will be different than what it was in 2015.

In 2015 Rams went into this season with no hint of an ideal that Greg Robinson would be an issue as the starter @ OLT. This early season negative development blindsided this Ram team. The same can be said about the Rams approach to the reserve OLT post was a late after thought not worth spending much time on it in May's draft.

The Rams did draft a 3 yr NCAA starting OLT in the 3rd round in Jamon Brown but Fisher let it be known very early that Brown was going to be the starter @ OLG nothing to do with the OLT post. Fisher did move in the Supplemental Draft on June 25th of 2015 on a long term future prospect @ OLT Isaiah Battle. A signed UDFA Darrell Williams by default won the back up OLT position on the master roster. Another bad decision by Fisher was to depend on the always injured Rodger Saffold as being the emergency long term starting OLT in case Robinson was injured.

But in 2016 the Rams will have TIME on their side. GR will have completed two yrs worth of starting NFL OL'er under his belt. Both Darrell Williams & Isaiah Battle will be entering their second NFL Training Camps with a off seasons worth of strength & conditioning training under their belts.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
IMO things will be ok on the OL next season. Williams and Battle will both push GRob, but again the best option is GRob finally gets it together. This team needs him to live up to his draft status.
It's up to him and the Coaching staff to make sure he goes through a lot of Off-Season work on his Technic! Maybe some sort of martial arts training would help with his hand and foot work!?!
I want him to turn out like we expected him to when he was Drafted!!

tonyl711

Starter
Even though I have been very hard on GRob on this season performance.... I will not be in a hurry to make his "Contract Year" the 2017 season, thus letting him hit the free agency in 2018. I am thinking that if this GRob issue is handled the right way in this off season and in the 2016 season they can get this disappointing 2nd overall first round pick moving in a different direction.

Currently I am sure he knows that he lacks the technical skills to be an effective starting OLT & is going to have to give a much better account of himself than what he has. Issue is GRob was quickly rushed into the fray & anointed the starting post by default with zero competition. It all came so very easy after two starts @ OLG due to the dismal play of Davin Joseph. His total Fail Mode ongoing in 2015 season is also due to having no competition pushing or threatening his starting status. All in all there is no repercussions for his crap! He is still starting still on the field & getting paid big. That will have to change!

Last yr his back up was Mike Person who has been the starting center for the Falcons & has played on five different teams in 5 yrs. Early this season GRob's main competition was rookie UDFA Darrell Williams. Currently GRob does not have a bona fide back up. They have super green rookie Isaiah Battle who here going into wk 13 of this season has yet to dress for a NFL game....there simply NO. I said NO Ram OL'er pushing GRob ! Pee poor planning here(n). That has to change as we have seen cuz GRob is lazy.

This Ram Org. must put a comprehensive plan into play this off season to get GRob some serious competition to push him to do his homework & brain work to KEEP his starting post. I have a easy outstanding plan & I only have two working brain cells:snicker:. Then if this GRob feels the heat & fire from loosing his position we Ram fans could end seeing the Rams going for a 5th year option that's available(y).
if it takes competition for him to grasp the basics of his job, then there is a problem, he should work to be the best he can be no matter who is backing him up, his pride should be enough to make him want to be the best LT he can be.

tonyl711

Starter
This

And this

Two years and he can't correct his stance? Or Boudreau isn't teaching him to? I hate using high picks on projects, hate it. A first round 2nd overall pick should be better than this. Of all the players in the draft they only had on guy they couldn't pick. They couldn't find an instant impact starter? We aren't talking about a QB here and we aren't talking about a crappy class like 2010. This class was absolutely loaded with top talent. Enough with the Auburn connection and enough with athletes that have no football IQ.
tottally agree, the first 2 rounds you should go with proven production over potential IMO, Mathews was the proven LT, Robinson had potential, in hindsight who would you draft now between the 2?

tonyl711

Starter
Or we could listen to a guy that happens to know a ton about OL play and actually try to develop our talented young OT.

Fans, as a whole, have no patience for development.

It has nothing to do with investment. That's a sunk cost. It has everything to do with Robinson's ability and upside.

No point in creating a hole at LT if it's not needed.
no point in keeping a player at LT who cant pass protect, has more holding and false starts than anyone in the NFL, we kept JSmith at RT too long simply because of where he was drafted, we dont need to go that route again IMO.

tonyl711

Starter
By hole, I mean there's not a player that can get the job done. Robinson can get the job done.

I think it's difficult to fix mechanical flaws when a player has to play a game every Sunday. And learning how to play LT as well as the playbook tends to take your focus away from other things. Do you remember Bradford talking about this a few years ago?(how some mechanical issues that he wanted to work on were pushed down his list of priorities because he had to learn the offense)

Screw BPA. If there's a QB that I think can be a franchise caliber guy available, I'm taking him.

"Shaming" Robinson may not be the best method for his development.
Robinson can get the job done? then why isnt he?

FrankenRam

Starter

That's a nice theory, but just not realistic. I've heard it said by a number of knowledgeable people that the proliferation of spread offenses in college ball has greatly hindered the transition of many OL, in particular, to the pro game. Too many of them just aren't prepared to start Day One in the NFL and need significant seasoning.

While I'm of the belief that GRob should be showing us more than he has by this point, it's pretty clear that crazy O they run at Auburn didn't remotely prepare him for the NFL.