GREG ROBINSON – LEFT TACKLE, ST. LOUIS RAMS

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Greg Robinson could very well be the most physically gifted offensive linemen in the NFL. It’s obvious he possesses a true love for the game by the style in which he plays. In an era where many offensive linemen aren’t being heralded for their toughness or mean streaks, Greg Robinson approaches the game like a true throwback trench warrior.

Unfortunately, his physical prowess hasn’t yielded the performance threshold the St. Louis Rams were anticipating when they drafted him second overall in the 2014 NFL Draft. This reality has come as a surprise to many, but to those that appreciate offensive line as a craft, his struggles aren’t a shock.

Greg Robinson is merely a byproduct of the current football climate we live in. The proliferation of spread offenses throughout the collegiate ranks has stunted the development of the most coveted position in all of football. Spread offenses demand more from every single player on the field, except offensive line. The quarterbacks, defensive backs, defensive linemen and wide receivers are asked to know more and do more than ever before. On the other hand, offensive linemen are asked to know less and do less, thus are not developing the transferable skill sets required to play in the NFL. In reference to Greg’s collegiate offensive scheme, Paul Boudreau, the Rams offensive line coach, told Greg. A Bedard of Sports Illustrated, “They had four run plays and one protection – slide left, slide right. He didn’t have a snap count.”

We aren’t in a position to tell collegiate coaches what style of offense they should be running. The only possible solution to the perfect storm of inept offensive line play that has been created is to do what all great offensive linemen do very well, adapt. If a player like Greg Robinson who has off the chart measurable’s and a true desire to become the best player he can be can’t be “fixed” within this broken system of development, the game of football is in a ditch that may need to double as a grave.

THE BLOCK
STANCE
All of Greg’s issues stem from his inconsistencies found in the stance. He’s playing in stance’s that are too narrow or too wide at times, his hips aren’t consistently square to the line of scrimmage and his left heel is off the ground (See Photo’s 1 & 2)

INCONSISTENT / RUN GAME
Greg’s narrow or too wide of a base (Feet Alignment) causes significant issues for him on run and passing plays. In the run game, his inconsistent base forces him to “lead with his knee” and “swoop” his left foot upon initial movement (see illustrations). These two mechanical flaws cause him to play with too much weight outside his frame and not distributed properly. This will explain why he is so easily thrown off front side base blocks. He plays too far outside of his landmark’s on the defender. Greg is either going to hit big or miss big because of this mechanical flaw. In regards to backside cutoff’s, his base doesn’t allow him to get his frontside hip as open as it should be. He does a very poor job on backside cutoffs, not because he can’t but because he isn’t in a position to effectively do so.

INCONSISTENT BASE / PASS PROTECTION

Greg has a problem that is called “under-stepping” (see illustration). During his pass set at about the second kick, you will notice how the left foot travels upfield. This happens because his narrow stance causes him to take too big of an initial kick. He’s trying to make up the difference by attempting to cover more ground than he needs to. This is where momentum takes over, that’s not a good thing. That subtle upfield movement by the left foot is his body trying to autocorrect itself at a high rate of speed. The idea of pass protection is for him to keep the left foot in a “catch” position, meaning at any given point he is ready to take on pressure. When the left foot travels upfield he develops a “soft hip” which shortens the edge for the pass rusher. Greg is ungodly strong but he isn’t able to utilize his full strength because of this issue. I akin this to building an oak stool that only has three legs. The wood is strong, it’s well built, but it has no base.

HIPS NOT SQUARE TO LINE OF SCRIMMAGE
Greg isn’t consistent with keeping his hips square to the line of scrimmage (See photos above). If you pay close attention to his waistline or jersey numbers, you’ll see they slightly are turned towards the defender. This may seem to be a minor infraction but it’s a felony in the offensive line performance world. Greg loses the holy grail of offensive line play before the ball is even snapped, leverage. He has created a “soft edge” for the defender. When you couple this with his narrow base and the outlined problems created with it, his hips not being square compounds all of the issues.

HEEL OFF THE GROUND / RUN & PASS
Here you’ll find the performance leak many offensive linemen suffer from. When the heel being off the ground is paired with the other noted problems, there’s gas thrown on the fire. Greg is constantly in a position where his outside knee leads all of his movement (See knee lead illustration). In the pass game this swinging action sets the stage for him turning way too soon during a pass set. In the run game, he loses control of his body because he’s playing under the influence of momentum and that’s illegal in this country. The body of an offensive lineman must always be in a position to fight pressure with pressure. The knee being inside the toe for as long as possible allows this to happen. There’s more musculature activated in this position and joints are more correctly aligned to be more stable.

POOR HAND USAGE
Greg Robinson has issues with his upper body as well. His hand placement in the run game is poor and in pass protection he punches himself “open” far too often. These issues are symptoms, they aren’t the ailment. The ailment is all that has been outlined. Offensive line play begins from the ground up! His hands will be fixed when his lower body is addressed. Investing time into working on his hands while ignoring the obvious issues below the waist is like putting a new paint job on a car with no wheels. It’s a poor investment.

BOTTOM BLOCK
There’s nothing going on with Greg Robinson that can’t be fixed. I believe Greg can be one of the greatest offensive linemen to ever play in the NFL. I hear the notion that he’s not cut out to be a left tackle because he’s not “athletic” enough. If Andrew Whitworth is “athletic” enough to play left tackle in the NFL, Greg Robinson can. If he’s moved to guard without addressing the root issues, his career will be shortened. He will play guard as if he’s in a street fight, that’s a good and bad thing. The bad, it’s only a matter of time before something breaks. You can’t run away from bad mechanics. There needs to be more attention to detail in his understanding of how his body is supposed to work as an elite offensive lineman and to how it is prepared to perform at an elite level.

http://www.lbolineperformance.com/g...G5pETY8p1SQztMT9IcYc&_hsmi=24367075&appsrc=sc

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Unfortunately the way Grob is progressing he will have his best year in his contract year.So then the team would have to give up left tackle money for 1 good year.Grob doesn't deserve the blame here this falls squarely on Fisher's shoulders.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Yeah, from everything I've seen so far I'm convinced he should move inside to guard next season, where he will be dominant. Sometimes it just doesn't work out like you would hope.

TexasRam

Legend
The sooner we can stop talking about potential and realize Robinson will never ever be a good nfl tackle the better.

He is not progressing he is consistently getting his ass wooped. This last game vs the lions was case in point. He was just dominated out there. Even with double team help. He absolutely cannnot compete right now without holding.

So let's stop the "great potential" crap. There is no potential of you are still a turnstile at this point. He was ranked 74 of 77 as a tackle in the NFL. Before this last disaster of a game.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Even though I have been very hard on GRob on this season performance.... I will not be in a hurry to make his "Contract Year" the 2017 season, thus letting him hit the free agency in 2018. I am thinking that if this GRob issue is handled the right way in this off season and in the 2016 season they can get this disappointing 2nd overall first round pick moving in a different direction.

Currently I am sure he knows that he lacks the technical skills to be an effective starting OLT & is going to have to give a much better account of himself than what he has. Issue is GRob was quickly rushed into the fray & anointed the starting post by default with zero competition. It all came so very easy after two starts @ OLG due to the dismal play of Davin Joseph. His total Fail Mode ongoing in 2015 season is also due to having no competition pushing or threatening his starting status. All in all there is no repercussions for his crap! He is still starting still on the field & getting paid big. That will have to change!

Last yr his back up was Mike Person who has been the starting center for the Falcons & has played on five different teams in 5 yrs. Early this season GRob's main competition was rookie UDFA Darrell Williams. Currently GRob does not have a bona fide back up. They have super green rookie Isaiah Battle who here going into wk 13 of this season has yet to dress for a NFL game....there simply NO. I said NO Ram OL'er pushing GRob ! Pee poor planning here(n). That has to change as we have seen cuz GRob is lazy.

This Ram Org. must put a comprehensive plan into play this off season to get GRob some serious competition to push him to do his homework & brain work to KEEP his starting post. I have a easy outstanding plan & I only have two working brain cells:snicker:. Then if this GRob feels the heat & fire from loosing his position we Ram fans could end seeing the Rams going for a 5th year option that's available(y).

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am not even sure he would be a good Guard at this point. If Williams or Battle are progressing enough for coaches to think either is better than Robinson, then I would test the trade waters to see what GMs would offer for him. If it is not good enough then just keep him as a prospect that needs a LOT of work. This is another example of Athleticism or football IQ. That type of drafting by Snead and Fisher has worked against them more than once.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I read the article and then read the comments...did you guys read the article fully? It's incredibly insightful.

I'd love if Greg got with LeCharles Bentley and his boys this summer to work on his game.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought this was posted in a previous GRob discussion. It's very insightful as @jrry32 and @CGI_Ram said. His mistakes are small and seemingly correctable with some work and coaching. I didn't want him to begin with but we have him now and I'm not ready to give up on a guy after what 18 NFL starts?

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I was for drafting Robinson at 2 and will admit that the project is taking longer than I think it should. Yesterday frustrated me a lot and wouldn't mind seeing him at guard because of it!

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I read the article and then read the comments...did you guys read the article fully? It's incredibly insightful.

I'd love if Greg got with LeCharles Bentley and his boys this summer to work on his game.

I read the article. Makes me wonder even more why someone would would pass up other NFL ready players and draft picks for the chance to spend 4 years training a guy to play the game. If there's a FA LT available or we can't get a QB in the draft and a LT is BPA, pull the trigger. Move him to guard and let's get on with being a good team.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Thanks for posting this @RamzFanz ....I put it in another post a few days ago.... L. Bentley is making guys like G-Rob into NFL studs at his training academy in AZ.... Hell, remember what Slater (or was it Pace?) did for Barksdale....

I still say this guys gonna be ok.... Just raw as sushi....

I too wanted a trade back, and I wanted Lewan.... The way these college LT's have turned out, I'm glad Snisher grabbed Robinson. I'm with OleSchool, lets not cut bait just yet.... He played well vs Ansah yesterday... And that dude is a beast....

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I hope Lecharles Bentley will have Greg and Greg is willing to go and do the work because he could come back transformed. He can be as good as he wants to be. Unfortunately so far he hasn't seemed to want it enough, which sometimes happens with physical specimens like him because it's all been so easy for him so far.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
To everybody who keeps saying "move him to guard", please go back and read this part:

If he’s moved to guard without addressing the root issues, his career will be shortened. He will play guard as if he’s in a street fight, that’s a good and bad thing. The bad, it’s only a matter of time before something breaks. You can’t run away from bad mechanics. There needs to be more attention to detail in his understanding of how his body is supposed to work as an elite offensive lineman and to how it is prepared to perform at an elite level.

If he fixes the root issues, there will be no need to move him to guard. If the root issues are not fixed, then he will fail there as well. It's not an issue of whether he's better suited to one position or another, it's a question of whether he gets the fundamentals down to be an effective OL at any position.

The only way it makes sense to move him to G is if his issues do get fixed AND someone else (e.g., Battle) comes along and shows they can be better than him. That won't be easy if his problems get fixed. And if they don't, then he'll never see his second contract here.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I read the article. Makes me wonder even more why someone would would pass up other NFL ready players and draft picks for the chance to spend 4 years training a guy to play the game. If there's a FA LT available or we can't get a QB in the draft and a LT is BPA, pull the trigger. Move him to guard and let's get on with being a good team.

It was a key point to me that Bentley said not to move him inside because it's not going to fix the problems. In fact, you're going to divert attention away from the problems by forcing him to learn a new position.

Even if you disagree with Bentley's optimism on how good Robinson could be, Bentley did a nice job of explaining why moving him inside isn't a simple fix.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would like to point out a few things here in this train of thought to move GRob a few feet right to OLG. Question here on this subject...will the 2016 Rams have great needs @ OLG?

I was under the impression that our veteran starting OLG is our best consistent overall playing OL'er this 2015 season. He is our OL leader. He has played & started in 3 OL posts this season when needed. He is a yard sale bargain priced starter who plays for less than a mil. His name is (#1)Garrett Reynolds and has finally found his best playing position @ OLG.

Our main back up to this OLG post is 22 yr old (#2)Demetrius Rhaney who is only played in 13 games thus far. Rams utilized a high 2015 3rd round selection to take OLT Jamon Brown. Then they immediately inserted (#3)Jamon Brown into that left side where Brown played so well for three seasons, but in at OLG.

To finally cap off this herd of OL'ers who can play LG is (#4)Rodger Saffold who in his 6 season has played most (four) on the left side. Saffold our #1 OL'er was our starter @ OLG until he was injured. I guess I should add that all four of the above OLG's are under contract to play for the Rams in 2016.

Are we really sure we need our former #1 second overall 2014 draft selection to be added to this already filled to excess & packed full OLG post to make it five?:thinking:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would like to point out a few things here in this train of thought to move GRob a few feet right to OLG. Question here on this subject...will the 2016 Rams have great needs @ OLG?

I was under the impression that our veteran starting OLG is our best consistent overall playing OL'er this 2015 season. He is our OL leader. He has played & started in 3 OL posts this season when needed. He is a yard sale bargain priced starter who plays for less than a mil. His name is (#1)Garrett Reynolds and has finally found his best playing position @ OLG.

Our main back up to this OLG post is 22 yr old (#2)Demetrius Rhaney who is only played in 13 games thus far. Rams utilized a high 2015 3rd round selection to take OLT Jamon Brown. Then they immediately inserted (#3)Jamon Brown into that left side where Brown played so well for three seasons, but in at OLG.

To finally cap off this herd of OL'ers who can play LG is (#4)Rodger Saffold who in his 6 season has played most (four) on the left side. Saffold our #1 OL'er was our starter @ OLG until he was injured. I guess I should add that all four of the above OLG's are under contract to play for the Rams in 2016.

Are we really sure we need our former #1 second overall 2014 draft selection to be added to this already filled to excess & packed full OLG post?:thinking:

We could stick with Reynolds...but if we do, we need to draft someone to improve depth. Rhaney isn't cutting it at OG. And Saffold can't stay healthy.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
We could stick with Reynolds...but if we do, we need to draft someone to improve depth. Rhaney isn't cutting it at OG. And Saffold can't stay healthy.

Yes we should stick with Garrett Reynolds as an important OLG reserve ingredient in 2016. GR in my small mind has been a very pleasant nice surprise in a world of ugly in our OL.

But I made it clear for months now that our future starting OLG should be Jamon Brown it fits him perfectly. I am not kidding I see a couple of pro bowls coming his way if he is left in this post. The right side does not fit him.Rhaney has played OT/OG & center but in the NFL your right his best opportunity to stick on this team will come from playing center.

The Saffold element will be something to watch in the off season. Health as always must be considered and in this upcoming 2016 season he will be bubbled wrapped lying on the training table through most of the early training camp. But Saffold's contract at least in 2016 points heavy that he will be on this roster.

The question with him is where will he be able to help out most in this OL. At the same time recalling he is fresh off two 2015 double shoulder reconstructions meaning he will be at a much weaken state from what we saw in 2014.

The other thing will the Ram Org. be lacking in sense, judgment to count on him to be a starter in this OL. :cautious::unsure: UNWISE IMO.The best I would plan for is that he be the OL unit #6th game day OL'er. One thing we know he can fill in @ OLG. But I would have plans for Saffold to be used in conjunction with GRob to double team that OLT post & then have Isaiah Battle & Darrell Williams pushing GRob & Saffold!

Last edited: