Greg Gaines because

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gaines is a pleasure to watch. He never gives up and he is showing up more and more with big plays.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
He has made it okay for SJD to hit the FA marker.....just gonna say it.....Gaines is better. Gaines has been playing his ass off. Clearly Donald has been mentoring him and he's sucking it up. Loved the pick when we got him. Love it more now that he's panning out.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Gaines has been outstanding. Last night I think he was asked to contain the midget quite a bit, and that is exactly what he did. Held at the line or even behind it, then sheds his block and gets lateral MUCH faster than you would imaging for a man his size. Absolutely brilliant and I loved seeing it. When he is asked to get up field, that speed and power serves him well also. Sign his extension already.

Tano

Legend
Gaines has been outstanding. Last night I think he was asked to contain the midget quite a bit, and that is exactly what he did. Held at the line or even behind it, then sheds his block and gets lateral MUCH faster than you would imaging for a man his size. Absolutely brilliant and I loved seeing it. When he is asked to get up field, that speed and power serves him well also. Sign his extension already.
Maybe that's why Murray did such a great job in the first game.

The Rams didn't have Gaines containing Murray in that game. SJD played the majority of the game and he just does not contain as well as Gaines.

TexasRam

Legend
Greg is the kind of player you want at NT. Sebas is overrated and in reality, is a backup-level talent. Why? Because he simply can't shed blocks. He gets stoned by a single blocker. Have you guys noticed that teams are double-teaming Greg a lot? He's relentless and his pursuit and takedowns of Lawrence and Kyler are proof of that.

AD and Gaines on the interior, Floyd, and Miller on the edges, Jones and Hollins at LB with Rapp as an in the box SS. That is one of the few things I've seen Morris do that I absolutely agree with. It's how they controlled the Card's run game.

For the majority of the game Morris did what he had to do which was take away Kyler's quick short option. That is what gave time for the pass rush to get to him. It's why he got frustrated and forced the ball that resulted in 2 INTs. If Morris stays with that the Ram D can dominate like it did against the Cards.

People simply don't realize that Miller, Gaines and OBJ make this a different team. OBJ isn't Robert Woods but he can be next year. Williams when allowed to play man coverage does a credible job. Sure he gave up some receptions, what CB doesn't? But he also made some key PDs. Rochell showed he's a quick study and I expect him to really begin to show it next year. If they can keep Williams it will give them a good SCB and make the Rams 3 deep at CB. With Rapp played as a SS/LB hybrid that will open the door for Burgess to pair with Fuller.

On offense I think they might move Harris back to TE or draft one. I expect Hopkins to be released next year. Akers will be back but IMO Sony has earned the #1 RB position. But the Rams will be 3 deep at RB next year. More than a jumbo OL this offense needs a legit FB. Give Michel a lead blocker and he can really move the chains.

This team is good now but they will be even better next year. If Morris continues to play tight and McVay doesn't go away from the run this is a Super Bowl contender. They proved tonight that this roster is deeper than most of the so called analysts thought. Look at how much talent is on IR. When they get back to full strength this is a championship roster. I've said it all year and they proved it to be true. It's all a matter of McVay and Morris playing to the strength of their players on both sides of the ball.
Agreed on Gaines. Also agree on Morris doing a much better job dropping linebackers and taking away the short option. He also manned up the WR’s at times and rushed 5 with either Jones on a blitz or Hollins and Floyd on the same side.

I am not sure I like Hollins dropping in coverage however. He was easily beat by Conner on a whip route. Conner isn’t exactly fleet of foot.

Psycho_X

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I had high hopes when he came out.. I felt like he compared well with guys like Jurrell Casey.. but he didn't do much at all as a rookie. Started to show some last year.
This year? An absolute impact player.. damn!!!
When we drafted Gaines I expected him to be the brick wall that he has become in the running game taking care of the middle of the field but I never expected him to be running down the like of Kyler Murray or Aaron Rodgers from behind like a freaking safety. My lord he gives hope to all big men everywhere. God bless his big man speed.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Ideally, an NT will demand double-teams to free up your DE's & OLB's in a 3-4 scheme. When your "NT" doesn't, he's really not a threat & so the scheme falls flat.
"Good Game" GG has become what this scheme has needed for some time now. Yes Seabass is good, I think he'll be perfect in a 4-3 somewhere, and maybe can sub GG on obvious running downs, but we've needed more than that for a while & it's really cool to see this scheme work like it's supposed to.
With Morris starting to scheme to our players' strengths, I see this D getting stronger & stronger & carrying us deep in the PO's.

badcop

UDFA
Definitely playing two gap responsibility and maintaining the line of scrimmage and playing spy on Murray. Two fantastic plays when he caught Murray from behind to stop the Cards drive and also ran him out of bounds on another 3rd and long. His sack was also a short run down of Murray. Pretty damn effective except for PFF grades.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Ideally, an NT will demand double-teams to free up your DE's & OLB's in a 3-4 scheme. When your "NT" doesn't, he's really not a threat & so the scheme falls flat.
"Good Game" GG has become what this scheme has needed for some time now. Yes Seabass is good, I think he'll be perfect in a 4-3 somewhere, and maybe can sub GG on obvious running downs, but we've needed more than that for a while & it's really cool to see this scheme work like it's supposed to.
With Morris starting to scheme to our players' strengths, I see this D getting stronger & stronger & carrying us deep in the PO's.
I think SJD is a better run defender than Gaines.
What is indisputable is that Gaines is a better penetrator. It's a joy to watch.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
7D61F3BA-12F0-4330-822D-280E69DF7A8B.png

Tano

Legend
Right.. that's when the ball is thrown.
The ball wasn't thrown when DD flopped.
"Pass interference can only occur when a forward pass is thrown from behind the line of scrimmage,"
Offensive pass interference rules apply from the time the ball is snapped until the ball is touched.

That guy ran into DD and should have gotten some sort of penalty for that.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Offensive pass interference rules apply from the time the ball is snapped until the ball is touched.

That guy ran into DD and should have gotten some sort of penalty for that.
No, they don't.
I was quoting from the link.
"Pass interference can only occur when a forward pass is thrown from behind the line of scrimmage, regardless of whether the pass is legal or illegal, or whether it crosses the line."

Tano

Legend
When a WR blocks a CB from a receiver, it is called a penalty.

I forget what it is called? Interference?

The Refs could have called it based on that.

But besides that, the above definition still says from when the ball is snapped not when the ball is thrown.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
I would start Gaines right next to Aaron Donald. The Rams run defense and pressure on the QB and RB was a sight to be seen when Floyd and Von Miller contain the edges.

This is the Fantastic Four Rams Dl going forward.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
When a WR blocks a CB from a receiver, it is called a penalty.

I forget what it is called? Interference?

The Refs could have called it based on that.

But besides that, the above definition still says from when the ball is snapped not when the ball is thrown.

It wasn't a pick.

DD went for the flop.. that's the biggest reason it wasn't called. Refs are not going to reward that kind of action when it's that obvious. If DD was actually dropping into coverage and that happened? He might have gotten a call. No chance with the way he played it.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I would start Gaines right next to Aaron Donald. The Rams run defense and pressure on the QB and RB was a sight to be seen when Floyd and Von Miller contain the edges.

This is the Fantastic Four Rams Dl going forward.
And they have all the parts involved right now on the interior under control for next year. That includes a developing Copeland and Bobby Brown.

TexasRam

Legend
I love how the Monday night broadcasters showcased Donald Miller and Floyd Saying if the Rams hope to win those three need to play good.

Didn’t mention Gaines till later.

Idiots.

I also love how they said you will know who Jalen Thompson is by the end of this game.

I found out who he was when Jefferson burnt him for a TD.