Greg Gaines because

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I am hoping you are right.

Williams playing tight on occasion will be a big help imho
I agree.
I’m just worried about the 3rd & 4th options for a QB. Rochell got one snap this week. Yikes.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
McVay has been raving about Donte so we possibly have that going for us
There’s a cap on what Donte can offer.. he’s just too limited physically.

They need someone with Rochell’s size to deal with the bigger targets.

Tano

Legend
There’s a cap on what Donte can offer.. he’s just too limited physically.

They need someone with Rochell’s size to deal with the bigger targets.
I am not too concerned with Donte's size as long as he only covers slot receivers. We have frequently had shorter Slot Corner Backs in the past and hasn't hurt us too badly in games.

Maybe a play or two here or there might hamper us but nothing that we can't overcome in the long run

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I am not too concerned with Donte's size as long as he only covers slot receivers. We have frequently had shorter Slot Corner Backs in the past and hasn't hurt us too badly in games.

Maybe a play or two here or there might hamper us but nothing that we can't overcome in the long run
There's a good discussion on "The Football Show" podcast either this week or last week about slots.
The reality is that we just don't see as many Edleman types in that spot anymore.. maybe it's cyclical. You'll note on the Jags biggest gain on Sunday they had a big WR, Laquan Treadwell, lined up in the slot and he just ran right by DD, who tried to flop for a penalty. If you try to hide him there against the Cards, Green is going to get moved into the slot. Offenses are just too sophisticated to hide that stuff.
Kupp plays the slot a bunch.. he's 6-2... there are more and more.

I'm pretty concerned about it, obviously.

Tano

Legend
There's a good discussion on "The Football Show" podcast either this week or last week about slots.
The reality is that we just don't see as many Edleman types in that spot anymore.. maybe it's cyclical. You'll note on the Jags biggest gain on Sunday they had a big WR, Laquan Treadwell, lined up in the slot and he just ran right by DD, who tried to flop for a penalty. If you try to hide him there against the Cards, Green is going to get moved into the slot. Offenses are just too sophisticated to hide that stuff.
Kupp plays the slot a bunch.. he's 6-2... there are more and more.

I'm pretty concerned about it, obviously.
How about we move him to where a shorter WR is - not every team has every receiver 6 ft or bigger

Plus that play on Laquan - he ran over DD - there should have been a penalty on that

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
How about we move him to where a shorter WR is - not every team has every receiver 6 ft or bigger

Plus that play on Laquan - he ran over DD - there should have been a penalty on that
Oh, no.. first five yards.. there’s no penalty there and I don’t know what DD was thinking.

In that scenario, you’d have him lined up on Kirk, against the Cards, who is 5-11, 200 and a burner.
DD gives up size and has nowhere near the long speed to keep up.

Tano

Legend
Oh, no.. first five yards.. there’s no penalty there and I don’t know what DD was thinking.

In that scenario, you’d have him lined up on Kirk, against the Cards, who is 5-11, 200 and a burner.
DD gives up size and has nowhere near the long speed to keep up.
I am pretty sure you can't run over a defensive back like that but I could be wrong

That's offensive interference if I recall correctly

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
In the first 5 yards you can truck his little ass. But going off memory it might not have been within that first 5 yards. Probably around 8ish or so which would be a ticky-tack type call but I'd take it.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
In the first 5 yards you can truck his little ass. But going off memory it might not have been within that first 5 yards. Probably around 8ish or so which would be a ticky-tack type call but I'd take it.
He initiated the contact within 5 and flopped backward.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Just rewatched ball was at 28, contact was at 33.
Donte flopped like prime Vlade, you’re not getting a call on that.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
This thread got sidetracked (we can blame me).. but I wanted to bump it because Greg Gaines is simply effing crushing it on the field.
Just saw a stat that the Rams had 26 pressures tonight. They're gonna kill Wilson next week.

I had high hopes when he came out.. I felt like he compared well with guys like Jurrell Casey.. but he didn't do much at all as a rookie. Started to show some last year.
This year? An absolute impact player.. damn!!!

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The griz is the man … seabass IMO has always been a little overrated … I don’t know his contract situation but I think grizz has earned a spot to start over him ..l

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I love what Sebass has done for us but yeah Gaines is taking shit to a different level. And most importantly he seems to work with AD really well on the rush which is Sebass' weakness, he doesn't do so well in pressures.

Gonna suck to see a homegrown guy move on but I will be happy to see him get paid too. He's an excellent run stuffer in his own right and teams are gonna want him.

RamUK

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Isn't that the 3rd straight game he's chased a QB down from behind? Incredibly for a man his size.

oldnotdead

Legend
Greg is the kind of player you want at NT. Sebas is overrated and in reality, is a backup-level talent. Why? Because he simply can't shed blocks. He gets stoned by a single blocker. Have you guys noticed that teams are double-teaming Greg a lot? He's relentless and his pursuit and takedowns of Lawrence and Kyler are proof of that.

AD and Gaines on the interior, Floyd, and Miller on the edges, Jones and Hollins at LB with Rapp as an in the box SS. That is one of the few things I've seen Morris do that I absolutely agree with. It's how they controlled the Card's run game.

For the majority of the game Morris did what he had to do which was take away Kyler's quick short option. That is what gave time for the pass rush to get to him. It's why he got frustrated and forced the ball that resulted in 2 INTs. If Morris stays with that the Ram D can dominate like it did against the Cards.

People simply don't realize that Miller, Gaines and OBJ make this a different team. OBJ isn't Robert Woods but he can be next year. Williams when allowed to play man coverage does a credible job. Sure he gave up some receptions, what CB doesn't? But he also made some key PDs. Rochell showed he's a quick study and I expect him to really begin to show it next year. If they can keep Williams it will give them a good SCB and make the Rams 3 deep at CB. With Rapp played as a SS/LB hybrid that will open the door for Burgess to pair with Fuller.

On offense I think they might move Harris back to TE or draft one. I expect Hopkins to be released next year. Akers will be back but IMO Sony has earned the #1 RB position. But the Rams will be 3 deep at RB next year. More than a jumbo OL this offense needs a legit FB. Give Michel a lead blocker and he can really move the chains.

This team is good now but they will be even better next year. If Morris continues to play tight and McVay doesn't go away from the run this is a Super Bowl contender. They proved tonight that this roster is deeper than most of the so called analysts thought. Look at how much talent is on IR. When they get back to full strength this is a championship roster. I've said it all year and they proved it to be true. It's all a matter of McVay and Morris playing to the strength of their players on both sides of the ball.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
SJD replacement with absolutely no drop off, and he's been better IMO.

Williams has also played his way out of a contract - although last night he was pretty good - so that leaves money for Miller and the OL

Shuie3225

Starter
AD and Gaines on the interior, Floyd, and Miller on the edges, Jones and Hollins at LB with Rapp as an in the box SS. That is one of the few things I've seen Morris do that I absolutely agree with. It's how they controlled the Card's run game.
Bingo. Throw in Jones at ILB and this is the formula to keep winning games and shutting down the run. Keep Reeder off the field, and keep Rapp down in the box as much as possible. But Gaines has been a monster inside vs the run too. He gets a lot of credit because hes a good pass rusher, but hes an all around stud.

D Will has had back to back nice games. His best two of the season IMO and I think we've been putting him more in man coverage where he seems to be much better. With Deayon back and Ramsey, we should be better at corner moving forward. assuming D Will keeps getting back to his level last year. If we can keep getting after the QB we should be okay. Would love to see some bigger plays from Fuller on the backend. To me he's been very average this year and that might be overstating his play.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I liked Gaines from day 1 but honestly didn't think he would be this much of an impact player this soon...He really seems to be coming on big time...Wasn't it the shrimp he chased down from behind on a scramble ??