Greg Gaines because

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Right.. that's when the ball is thrown.
The ball wasn't thrown when DD flopped.
"Pass interference can only occur when a forward pass is thrown from behind the line of scrimmage,"
Read the last line - "from the time the ball is snapped until the ball is touched."

Offensive interference is different than defensive. An offensive player can't take out a defender down field until the ball is touched - period.

A defensive player can chuck and even stay in contact within 5 yards - not an offensive player. It is appropriately called all the time. The offensive player cannot take out a defensive player until the receiver catches the ball on a pass.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think SJD is a better run defender than Gaines.
What is indisputable is that Gaines is a better penetrator. It's a joy to watch.
Gaines is coming on in that respect too. I like SJD a lot but Gaines is proving to be very good at both (maybe better).

Stupid me thought Gaines was a slow plodder with beef. Turns out, he is just a really good interior defender.

I'm hoping he continues to come on strong.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Read the last line - "from the time the ball is snapped until the ball is touched."

Offensive interference is different than defensive. An offensive player can't take out a defender down field until the ball is touched - period.

A defensive player can chuck and even stay in contact within 5 yards - not an offensive player. It is appropriately called all the time. The offensive player cannot take out a defensive player until the receiver catches the ball on a pass.
I'm going to have to disagree with you as it relates to the call discussed.. here's the article referenced..

The ball was not in the air and he was not blocking.

And.. again... DD just tried to get in the way and flopped. You're not getting that call.

ARTICLE 4. OTHER PROHIBITED ACTS BY THE OFFENSE

Blocking more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage by an offensive player prior to a pass being thrown is offensive pass interference. See 8-3-1-Item 1 for exception for an ineligible offensive player.

Note: It is also pass interference by the offense to block a defender beyond the line while the pass is in the air, if the block occurs in the vicinity of the player to whom the pass is thrown. See 8-3-1-Note for exception for ineligible players.

Penalty: For pass interference by the defense: First down for the offensive team at the spot of the foul. If the interference is also a personal foul (12-2), the 15-yard penalty for such a foul is also enforced, either from the spot of the foul (for interference), or from the end of the run if the foul for pass interference is declined. If the interference is behind the defensive goal line, it is first down for the offensive team on the defense’s one-yard line, or, if the previous spot was inside the two-yard line, halfway between the previous spot and the goal line.

Penalty: For pass interference by the offense: Loss of 10 yards from the previous spot.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm going to have to disagree with you as it relates to the call discussed.. here's the article referenced..

The ball was not in the air and he was not blocking.

And.. again... DD just tried to get in the way and flopped. You're not getting that call.

ARTICLE 4. OTHER PROHIBITED ACTS BY THE OFFENSE

Blocking more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage by an offensive player prior to a pass being thrown is offensive pass interference. See 8-3-1-Item 1 for exception for an ineligible offensive player.

Note: It is also pass interference by the offense to block a defender beyond the line while the pass is in the air, if the block occurs in the vicinity of the player to whom the pass is thrown. See 8-3-1-Note for exception for ineligible players.

Penalty: For pass interference by the defense: First down for the offensive team at the spot of the foul. If the interference is also a personal foul (12-2), the 15-yard penalty for such a foul is also enforced, either from the spot of the foul (for interference), or from the end of the run if the foul for pass interference is declined. If the interference is behind the defensive goal line, it is first down for the offensive team on the defense’s one-yard line, or, if the previous spot was inside the two-yard line, halfway between the previous spot and the goal line.

Penalty: For pass interference by the offense: Loss of 10 yards from the previous spot.
The key here is "from the time the ball is snapped".

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The key here is "from the time the ball is snapped".
Got it.

I'm getting to know that rule more intimately, lol. Thanks. It was a chance to learn a little more, it seems.

Within all of that, nothing I saw on that play would result in a penalty being called. There are clear references to "blocking", right? Or am I reading that wrong, too?

Because he was clearly running a route... and DD clearly scooted halfheartedly in his way and then fell down like Vlade.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Got it.

I'm getting to know that rule more intimately, lol. Thanks. It was a chance to learn a little more, it seems.

Within all of that, nothing I saw on that play would result in a penalty being called. There are clear references to "blocking", right? Or am I reading that wrong, too?

Because he was clearly running a route... and DD clearly scooted halfheartedly in his way and then fell down like Vlade.
You really made a floppy Divac reference? Priceless.

I didn't see him scoot - but all good.

We won the game.

I thought the non-call was bogus but in the grand scheme of things, it's really not important.

Cheers man.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
You really made a floppy Divac reference? Priceless.

I didn't see him scoot - but all good.

We won the game.

I thought the non-call was bogus but in the grand scheme of things, it's really not important.

Cheers man.
Los Angeles Lakers Hug GIF by NBA