Gonzalez: Rams still waiting for Tavon Austin to pay off

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
upload_2016-11-12_9-6-33.png

Tavon Austin has 316 receiving yards and 184 rushing yards so far this season. Photo by Alan Crowhurst/Getty Images

Rams still waiting for Tavon Austin to pay off

Alden Gonzalez
ESPN Staff Writer

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Los Angeles Rams receiver Tavon Austin went from 15 targets against the New York Giants to two targets against the Carolina Panthers.

It's been that kind of year.

Weeks before the start of the regular season, the Rams gave Austin a four-year, $42 million extension with the expectation that his production would only increase. But that has yet to be the case. Austin is on pace for 149 fewer yards from scrimmage in 2016. He finished the 2015 season with a career-high 907 yards, gaining 473 through the air and 434 on the ground. This year, Austin is on pace for 632 passing yards but only 126 rushing yards.

The Rams are using him far less on the ground and targeting him a lot more as a receiver, but the production hasn't necessarily been what they expected.

"That's how football is," Austin said. "You look at last year, I probably had eight or nine touchdowns already."

Actually, Austin had seven by the midway point of the 2015 season.

This year he has two.

"Teams are not crazy," Austin went on. "They definitely know what they're doing, and they have their guys that they try to take out of the game. They're not going to let you keep beating them with the same thing. That's how this league goes. You might have one good year, and next year, it might get a little harder for you. That's what it's about."

Austin is seeing "a lot of different types of looks" this year, making it difficult for the Rams to get him the ball in open space. His 316 receiving yards are tied for 83rd, his 4.30 average yards after the catch rank 91st, and his 56.1 reception percentage ranks 136th.

Asked if he has put added pressure on himself because of the extension, Austin said: "Not at all. I don't look at it like that. Everybody likes money, but I'm not in it for the money. I definitely don't put no pressure on myself. I just go out there and try to have fun. Whatever plays come to me, I just try to make the best of them."

[www.espn.com]

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Tavon is what he will always be, he is a multipurpose tool whose production is directly related to our offensive efficiency.
If we score and spread the ball he will play in more space and be even more productive. We have way bigger concerns of other high draft picks and have already let go of even another group of high draft picks. Accept him for what he is.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Tavon's skill set does not mesh with Keenum because he simply doesn't have the arm strength to get him the ball on time. I still think 40 million isn't too much for a player that can take over a game and score a td every time he touches the ball.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Tavon is what he will always be, he is a multipurpose tool whose production is directly related to our offensive efficiency.
If we score and spread the ball he will play in more space and be even more productive. We have way bigger concerns of other high draft picks and have already let go of even another group of high draft picks. Accept him for what he is.

This.

jap

Legend
Tavon's production will remain mostly unrealized until we have a QB who can orchestrate the usage of our talented play makers like a master conductor. He is a relatively tiny player who needs to play in space to be truly effective. He needs a signal caller who can precisely & effectively render other play makers into threats dangerous enough for the D to loosen up its coverage on the mercurial Austin.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
He only has 63 rush yards. Otherwise he would be on pace for 1000 total yards again. Which is good.

He's still on pace for career highs in receiving.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
"Teams are not crazy," Austin went on. "They definitely know what they're doing, and they have their guys that they try to take out of the game. They're not going to let you keep beating them with the same thing. That's how this league goes. You might have one good year, and next year, it might get a little harder for you. That's what it's about."
Most coaches would try to take advantage of this :mrburnsevil: but not ours.:sadwalk:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
You know I'm sorry but I say it and say it and say it: Tavon is not a fit for a power offense. He needs to be in a wide open passing attack where the QB is dishin it all over the joint, where the defense is spread thin trying to cover all the passing game weapons.

This team has a straight-up identity crisis on offense. They draft pieces that fit in a wide open offense, but profess to run a power game that never materializes. "This is who we are." Well, not really. It's not who you are. Who you are is a bunch of confused people on that side of the ball.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This team has a straight-up identity crisis on offense. They draft pieces that fit in a wide open offense, but profess to run a power game that never materializes. "This is who we are." Well, not really. It's not who you are. Who you are is a bunch of confused people on that side of the ball.

That's hard to argue against, based on the results of the last 5yrs.

So frustrating to see us just spinning our wheels.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Tavon...

Once he embraces his role as a "slot" receiver, he'll be successful. In fact, this is where SPRUCE & Cooper can actually help him...

His catch percentage is pathetic. Yards per catch...geez...And watch the contract they offer Britt & Quick.

But like all of our offensive talent...even the offensive LINE...it's pretty much hindered by QB play....

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
What?
I disagree
For he first time in his entire pro career he looks like a Wide Receiver and not just a special teams or gadget player

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When the QB can hit him on a hitch and go, he will be lethal

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave

As mentioned above TAs production will increase as soon as he has a strong armed QB that can get the ball to him before half the defense has already converged on the floated pass. To take advantage of a horizontal passing attack the ball has to get to the WR before the D can converge, IMO this is why other teams can get production from tunnel screens, bubble screens whatever you want to call them. The ball must get out and on the WR quickly, not gonna happen with Keenum at QB.

DthOn2Legs

Rookie
Tavon's skill set does not mesh with Keenum because he simply doesn't have the arm strength to get him the ball on time.

And despite his speed, it doesn't help when Austin's route ability doesn't enable him to get a yard of separation on DBs. Austin currently ranks fourth on the team in receiving yards (behind Hendricks) and is #65 in the NFL....even though only 12 receivers make more money than him. I would have rather paid Foles and cut Austin. For one, the team would have a better record right now with Foles starting.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug

Wonder what those 5th year option and tag $ numbers would have been vs. the $30M guaranteed?

Ellard80

Legend
And despite his speed, it doesn't help when Austin's route ability doesn't enable him to get a yard of separation on DBs. Austin currently ranks fourth on the team in receiving yards (behind Hendricks) and is #65 in the NFL....even though only 12 receivers make more money than him. I would have rather paid Foles and cut Austin. For one, the team would have a better record right now with Foles starting.

I mean I want Austin to succeed... but yeah he is production for what we paid him is not good football business.