Gonzalez: Rams still waiting for Tavon Austin to pay off

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2 rushes for 10 yards
2 catches on 7 targets for 19 yards

Well worth that paycheck....

That's what happens when you buy a Ferrari but have a driver that only has skills to drive a stage coach.

Ellard80

Legend
On another note, I would love to see Tavon in New Orleans or Pittsburgh. The dude would be incredible in a wide open offense with a lethal QB.

Honestly? Maybe

I really don't where some of you are getting this absolute certainty about his ability to be an NFL threat.
There isn't anything to substantiate it.

He was certainly an awesome player in the West Virginia NCAA spread offense.. but that doesn't exist in the NFL. Not in pitt or new Orleans either.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
It's just bizarre how a player with such little production gets such hyperbole.
Not trying to be a dick but...
200.gif

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Lets just be honest with ourselves. Our Offense is offensive this year, we're shocking running the ball and through the air and I wouldn't say that Tavon is the culprit even though some fans like to make him public enemy #1. He's a useful player because he's a target for the defence. If we had a cohesive O-strategy utilising our players and play-makers strengths I'm sure we'd see his numbers skyrocket.

What I think the main problem is, we, as a team always challenge physically with other teams, but we ever challenge mentally - I think defensive coordinators find it so easy to defend against us and I think its because our offense is so two dimensional.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I wouldn't say that Tavon is the culprit even though some fans like to make him public enemy #1.
39 catches on 74 targets. Averages 8 yards a CATCH!!! 4.6 yards per carry. I think 2 TD's total. Public enemy, naw....Just a waste of capital, and assets. We have a limited number of plays. We should be featuring Britt, Gurley, Kendricks, and yea, my boy Quick WAY MORE (I always say that for emphasis)...WAY MORE than Tavon. And the way Cooper was catching punts the other day, probably should strip that role from him too...Not because of explosiveness, but the safety factor. It just LOOKS like Tavon is gonna fumble. I'd throw him in there often, for reverses, or if we may need a spark, but not the primary.

Not sure why the Tavon love? I'd guess, a lot of young fans in here that play Madden, cause that's the only place a guy with his skills, at his size, really works in this league.

lockdnram21

Legend
39 catches on 74 targets. Averages 8 yards a CATCH!!! 4.6 yards per carry. I think 2 TD's total. Public enemy, naw....Just a waste of capital, and assets. We have a limited number of plays. We should be featuring Britt, Gurley, Kendricks, and yea, my boy Quick WAY MORE (I always say that for emphasis)...WAY MORE than Tavon. And the way Cooper was catching punts the other day, probably should strip that role from him too...Not because of explosiveness, but the safety factor. It just LOOKS like Tavon is gonna fumble. I'd throw him in there often, for reverses, or if we may need a spark, but not the primary.

Not sure why the Tavon love? I'd guess, a lot of young fans in here that play Madden, cause that's the only place a guy with his skills, at his size, really works in this league.
I agree with everything u said I felt Cooper would have caught that pass that Tavon dropped. But I have to say this Tavon would be killing it on patriots with real Qb and real offense

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
But I have to say this Tavon would be killing it on patriots with real Qb and real offense
Or Brees, Rivers, Rothlisberger,....Goff????

Get my point...probably decent stats....at least...not what he has here...which by my estimation, he shouldn't even be starting...

Debacled

Starter
He still runs trash routes and open or not if you aren't able to run a clean route it is just that much harder to come up with the ball. As was mentioned before he has a tiny catch radius so even with a good pass he is easier to cover (especially with sloppy routes). The coaching staff talks all the time about getting him the ball in space, but its pretty telling what they think of his ability to get open during a play when so many of his targets come so close to the LOS.

He needs to be more than a gadget player and a decoy for this offense. Being a top 10 pick that they traded up for and now one of the higher paid players on the team he needs to be more.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Just like I argued before the draft, he is too small, goes down too easy, is knocked off of his routes too easily, is small and hard to see, and nobody of his stature in the modern era has ever had a big enough impact at WR to justify trading up to the eighth pick to select.