Gonzalez: Rams still waiting for Tavon Austin to pay off

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A55VA6

Legend
Tavon is what he will always be, he is a multipurpose tool whose production is directly related to our offensive efficiency.
If we score and spread the ball he will play in more space and be even more productive. We have way bigger concerns of other high draft picks and have already let go of even another group of high draft picks. Accept him for what he is.
Yup!

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I didn't like it when they drafted him so high and I thought the contract was far too much money for what he had shown in his time in horns.

A decent return guy but not dominant, a weak route runner who can't seem to figure out how to get separation and will never be a guy who produces outside the numbers.

I don't think the problem is with figuring out how to get him the ball, I think it is more that those things don't work well in the NFL.

Mr Gadget, not the 10 million dollar man.

My Sources

UDFA
Thank god for TA. Without him we'd be even more boring. Probably unbearably boring. He is the least of our concerns.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
And despite his speed, it doesn't help when Austin's route ability doesn't enable him to get a yard of separation on DBs. Austin currently ranks fourth on the team in receiving yards (behind Hendricks) and is #65 in the NFL....even though only 12 receivers make more money than him. I would have rather paid Foles and cut Austin. For one, the team would have a better record right now with Foles starting.
Foles? What did he do that would make you want to keep him? And Austin had 10 tds last year not too many other players did . Not to mention he's a good punt returner and blocker. He got a lot of money but I'm happy he's on our team .

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
But part of the entire problem............far from the solution to this mess. Appears to me TA offers very little.... to helping this team win in the past, afterthought currently & sure does nothing for me to think that it will help in the future....in this offense.

I strongly agree with @flv

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
I absolutely hated it when the Rams drafted him, let alone traded up for him, and in his 1st 2 or so years I was probably his biggest hater. I thought he was simply a fast guy playing WR but didnt have any of the tools needed to be a good WR in this league. But man has he proved me wrong. His improvement as a WR this year is quite clear IMO. He seems to have finally developed some good route running skills and has routinely been open all season long. The problem is the QB play. I'd love to be able to go back and count how many times hes wide open and Keenum failed to get him the ball. Theres obviously still some improvements that can be made in his game, but personally I think he'll be worth the money if Goff is the franchise QB we all hope he is

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
And we're still waiting, dude just isn't a ten million per kinda guy. Never will be, IMHO.
In his defense, there were a few throws today that were just out of his range, but that happens a bunch because he's teeny.
Betcha he would kill with Brady throwing him the ball, hitting him on-stride, in the hands all day. Hope we never find out.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
2 rushes for 10 yards
2 catches on 7 targets for 19 yards

Well worth that paycheck....

Ellard80

Legend
I mean... hopefully Tavon has some big games in the future....

but at this moment in time he isn't that good... and not worth the money.

Ellard80

Legend
I absolutely hated it when the Rams drafted him, let alone traded up for him, and in his 1st 2 or so years I was probably his biggest hater. I thought he was simply a fast guy playing WR but didnt have any of the tools needed to be a good WR in this league. But man has he proved me wrong. His improvement as a WR this year is quite clear IMO. He seems to have finally developed some good route running skills and has routinely been open all season long. The problem is the QB play. I'd love to be able to go back and count how many times hes wide open and Keenum failed to get him the ball. Theres obviously still some improvements that can be made in his game, but personally I think he'll be worth the money if Goff is the franchise QB we all hope he is

Not trying to be a dick... but

1. He is never wide open.
2. He has a tiny catch radius.
3. As a punt returner he is average.

It's cool that you are a fan of the guy... but I really can't see any of what you are saying.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Its less about Tavon and much more about how bad the entire team is this year.
And man this place is a drag these days... so damn bitter!
The popular player to hate right now is Tavon... so let's all pile in the pile on wagon!

Tavon on a good team is a super star.

Ellard80

Legend
Its less about Tavon and much more about how bad the entire team is this year.
And man this place is a drag these days... so damn bitter!
The popular player to hate right now is Tavon... so let's all pile in the pile on wagon!

Tavon on a good team is a super star.

I'm not even really trying to pile on Tavon... people think Tavon is supposed to be good because of hype.
I mean you can find a lot of 12 year olds with his jersey who think he is awesome.

I want him to succeed but right now he isn't.

It's just bizarre how a player with such little production gets such hyperbole.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Not trying to be a dick... but

1. He is never wide open.
2. He has a tiny catch radius.
3. As a punt returner he is average.

It's cool that you are a fan of the guy... but I really can't see any of what you are saying.

I dont have all 22 so I cant go back and pick examples of him being open, but its happened plenty of times this season (not so much the last 2 games but has happened a lot none-the-less). instead ill just provide jrry's post of exactly what I mean vs Patrick Peterson who most ppl would say is one of the best CBs in the league.

I wasn't so sure about this move back when it was announced. I'm feeling a bit better about it now. Tavon is looking a lot better this year as a traditional WR. Take the Cardinals game as an example. His stats are 2 catches for 14 yards. Those aren't good numbers. But he was shadowed by Patrick Peterson all game long and actually was in position for a 80-100 yard receiving day. Here's how:
Austin_1.png

Austin_2.png

Austin_3.png

Austin_4.png

First three passes were inaccurately thrown. The last pass was knocked out of his hands by the ground. Three of the four plays came against Patrick Peterson. The final picture was a 50 yard reception if he comes down with it. The second picture is the one that pains me the most. Here's why:
Austin_5.png

If that ball is put out in front of Austin, he might house it. All he needs is a block from Britt on Patrick Peterson to leave him in the open-field with only the single-high safety to beat.

Even if he does get tackled, I think it's still a 20-30 yard gain.

And I don't want this to be construed as an attack Keenum post. I just want to point out that I think Austin is about to take the next step.

RamWoodie

Legend
You want Tavon to produce...then get a system that fits him. He'll never be a superstar...but he can be much better than he is.

The problem is Fisher is loyal to a fault to his coaches and perhaps only picking OCs with his "ball control" offensive philosophy. He can work defense well...but offense is another thing. He needs to get a good OC and turn the offense over to him!

RamWoodie

Legend
Let me add this...people love to call TA a "gadget player"...but I think he's more than that. Right now teams defensive radar goes up when Tavon does anything.

Line him up and play the guy! right now the fault is on Fisher for not using him to full potential...and on TA for many times trying too hard to be "that guy". He's trying too hard to earn his money...and it leads to drops as well as indecision when he has the ball. He feels the pressure to perform but this staff just doesn't put him in good situations often times.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The problem is Fisher is loyal to a fault to his coaches and perhaps only picking OCs with his "ball control" offensive philosophy. He can work defense well...but offense is another thing. He needs to get a good OC and turn the offense over to him!

Yep.

Tavon is never going to reach his potential with the guys Fish chooses for OC. Maybe even with Fish as head coach period for that matter.

Rams now have Goff, who is a pass-centric attack type QB. Tavon, who is a weapon that requires a pass happy attack type offense. Cooper, who has similarities in that way to Tavon in spite of being hardier. Higbee, whose greatest ability is as a pure pass catcher. These are the pieces going forward for us, with guys like Quick and Britt lost to FA when this staff turns over, as I at least pray it does.

Even Gurley, who is the rare piece that fits Fisher's idea of offense, fits just as well and arguably better in a more diverse offense, because he can bust anything for a long gain with a seam and has enormous pass catching talent.

If there was ever an offensive roster BEGGING for a good passing game OC, it is this one. Add a good FA wideout and get that kid QB out there and you have the makings of something special, given the right guy in charge.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
2 rushes for 10 yards
2 catches on 7 targets for 19 yards

Well worth that paycheck....

But.. he certainly TALKS a good game.
Still remember Game 1 this season when we were getting bent over by the Whiners and the guy makes a catch and starts HIGH-STEPPING after like a 14 yard catch. REALLY, Tavon? I'm pretty sure the game was well out of reach at that point. But go ahead and do you, TA. :rolleyes:

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
But.. he certainly TALKS a good game.
Still remember Game 1 this season when we were getting bent over by the Whiners and the guy makes a catch and starts HIGH-STEPPING after like a 14 yard catch. REALLY, Tavon? I'm pretty sure the game was well out of reach at that point. But go ahead and do you, TA. :rolleyes:
He's not high stepping to celebrate. It's him trying to manipulate the defender in staying up field so he can run past them. It just doesn't work at this level.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
On another note, I would love to see Tavon in New Orleans or Pittsburgh. The dude would be incredible in a wide open offense with a lethal QB.