Gonzalez: Jared Goff shows he's growing into role of Rams quarterback

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not you...but the theme is all the guys that left are "worse" than what we have here, now. So you didn't say Britt. But assuming Quick WAS the problem is just as wrong.

Go back to 3-1 in 2016....rolling...well, stumbling, but Quick was balling out....next game, guy gets 3 passes total....TOTAL...After a 2 TD game with only 3 or 4 targets then. I can't see where this guy was given an opportune chance to succeed? I see where he was neglected like most on this offensive team. The proof will be if McVay's old boss Gruden turns this guy into a stud. And if Britt balls out too...it'll confirm it wasn't the skill positions at fault.

he was given 5 years and wasnt even a JAG

and to try and help steer this back on topic

you shift balme away from Quit saying its this it that and you dont afford the same courtesy to Goff ...its the OCs fault quit sucked ,,but goff doesnt get the benfit of the doubt for that

maybe the reason Goff looked bad was the WRs were bad

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
he was given 5 years and wasnt even a JAG
you act like 40 catches is nothing? I'm not shifting anything...You keep acting like Quick sunk the offense...The QB has the ball in his hands....I don't care what the play was....some times, Goff & Keenum DID have time....and the play didn't work...Some times...Goff and Keenum DID hit the receiver in the hands and they dropped the pass....But most times...I see ineffective QB play...drive after drive...game after game...The OC's fault Quick sucked???? No...Quick is just an average player...When a player completes 50% of his passes....has the lowest yards per pass attempted in the league....and is late with throws...no matter what else is going around...you need to look at the player...Sorry, Goff plays QB...people look at him FIRST. The QB gets a lot of the praise when things go right....He gets the blame when an offense looks like shit. Fix the line....All the receivers are in the pros for a reason. Goff is in his 2nd year...if he still looks like shit...Quick isn't anywhere near him...Who's at fault? Seems as if the blame monster will be shifted again.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
you act like 40 catches is nothing? I'm not shifting anything...You keep acting like Quick sunk the offense...The QB has the ball in his hands....I don't care what the play was....some times, Goff & Keenum DID have time....and the play didn't work...Some times...Goff and Keenum DID hit the receiver in the hands and they dropped the pass....But most times...I see ineffective QB play...drive after drive...game after game...The OC's fault Quick sucked???? No...Quick is just an average player...When a player completes 50% of his passes....has the lowest yards per pass attempted in the league....and is late with throws...no matter what else is going around...you need to look at the player...Sorry, Goff plays QB...people look at him FIRST. The QB gets a lot of the praise when things go right....He gets the blame when an offense looks like crap. Fix the line....All the receivers are in the pros for a reason. Goff is in his 2nd year...if he still looks like crap...Quick isn't anywhere near him...Who's at fault? Seems as if the blame monster will be shifted again.

he has had 7 games as a starter .. 7..on a very poor football team with no oline or running game 28 quarters football and youre all but ready to call him a bust

quit on the other hand had 5 years (i grant ya he had some injuries ) and you constantly make excuses for the guy

why do you not give Goff the same leeway you obviously afford Quit ?
im not sure if its because you wanted wentz ? because i wanted Wentz too

im not sure if you just like to run counter arguments to the general consensus (most think here think quit stunk ..most think Goff will succeed or at least willing to give him some time )

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
why do you not give Goff the same leeway you obviously afford Quit ?
Same leeway.... I just look at the player...in a game...and in my opinion I tell what I see...I have actually like, seen Quick be a dominant player on the field..in games...with this same terrible system...I've seen Quick in the 2014 season and thought this...he hasn't gotten worse...the players around him have.

I've seen Goff....with plenty of time...miss open receivers....in games...I've seen him take sacks....I've seen that tell tale...nervous feet in a pocket...I've seen that look...scared of his own shadow...it's something when you see on a QB makes me think...uh oh...he's terrified...

And this is all JUST MY OPINION....

(most think here think quit stunk ..most think Goff will succeed or at least willing to give him some time )
Most here WANT Goff to succeed....no matter what the other evidence shows....most here don't want to believe that not only did he play poorly, but he was HISTORICALLY poor...I mean, out of all other rookies QB's to ever play the game, he was one of the worst...ever. This is NOT just my opinion...but actual fact. He was WORSE than Case Keenum...A lot of people like to say arm strength isn't everything...it's not...neither is foot speed....but one thing that most QB's show...is a type of play...just improve...from game to game...body language...confidence...We'll see...You keep trying to say I think Goff is a bust...that's too soon...I'll only say he was terrible...and he has a far way to go b4 he'll be considered competent...average...or decent.
Quick was at least that...see our differences??? You talk down to an average player...but lift up one that was terrible.

If most here think Quick stunk...I'm curious what they thought of Goff????

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Brian Quick in his first 7 games totaled 5 catches in 15 targets for 90 yards and 0 td. That's pretty horrific.
Now if we are comparing Quick in his 5th season to Goff in his first 7 games? That seems a little apples to oranges to me.
That said, I think Quick was better than many give him credit for, but still was time to move on.
I always find targets to be an interesting argument when it comes to judging WR stats. If they don't get enough targets, they cant produce. But on the flip side, if the WR isn't getting open, then they wont get the targets. Hard to read between the lines sometimes. Just my .02

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Brian Quick in his first 7 games totaled 5 catches in 15 targets for 90 yards and 0 td. That's pretty horrific.
Now if we are comparing Quick in his 5th season to Goff in his first 7 games? That seems a little apples to oranges to me.
That said, I think Quick was better than many give him credit for, but still was time to move on.
I always find targets to be an interesting argument when it comes to judging WR stats. If they don't get enough targets, they cant produce. But on the flip side, if the WR isn't getting open, then they wont get the targets. Hard to read between the lines sometimes. Just my .02
I was just thinking this same thing. What's the point of comparing a 4th year wr and Britt a what 7th year wr to a rookie who? Makes no sense. I understand that Quick cures erectile dysfunction for him (sarcasm) but this argument is a waste of time.

Nobody is going to say Goffs rookie performance is beyond criticism but just like people had hopes for Quick to turn it around after 7 games people feel Geoff can turn it around. Especially with a coaching staff actually trying to make him better.

Ram65

Legend
Torry Holt said he was still getting the ball out slowly while he was there...who do you believe?

Transcript Holt Presser on Goff

"I though Jared looked really good throwing the ball"
"Obviously there's still some timing and quickening up things that comes along with playing and getting some experience.

Holt's statements could refer to learning the new offense to getting in and out of the huddle. It's only been a couple weeks for not only Goff but, for everyone learning the new offense. This is a far cry from pointing to Goff getting the ball out slowly. The entire offense has to work on their timing. You are slanted against Goff I get it.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
"Obviously there's still some timing and quickening up things that comes along with playing and getting some experience.

Holt's statements could refer to learning the new offense to getting in and out of the huddle. It's only been a couple weeks for not only Goff but, for everyone learning the new offense. This is a far cry from pointing to Goff getting the ball out slowly. The entire offense has to work on their timing. You are slanted against Goff I get it.
He could be talking about the timing in a car for christ sake...."Still some timing" implies something is either too early or TOO LATE....perhaps getting used to the speed of new wrs....more than likely Woods/Kupp/Reynolds/Everett....."quickening up things"....tells me late....late throws...late with the reads...from the new offense....I get that...he was late a bunch last year...
I'm slanted...not against...but in the search for the truth...and I keep hear BS about how a guy that looked terrible is so much better and hasn't played a down.

Check out that post on a day with McVay by MMQB....seems as if the offense is still having difficulties moving the ball...no mattter how much EVERYONE SAYS THEY'VE IMPROVED

Ram65

Legend
He could be talking about the timing in a car for christ sake...."Still some timing" implies something is either too early or TOO LATE....perhaps getting used to the speed of new wrs....more than likely Woods/Kupp/Reynolds/Everett....."quickening up things"....tells me late....late throws...late with the reads...from the new offense....I get that...he was late a bunch last year...
I'm slanted...not against...but in the search for the truth...and I keep hear BS about how a guy that looked terrible is so much better and hasn't played a down.

Check out that post on a day with McVay by MMQB....seems as if the offense is still having difficulties moving the ball...no mattter how much EVERYONE SAYS THEY'VE IMPROVED

OMG when Holt talked how many 11 on 11 practices had they had on the field?

A handful if that. The truth is they just started with a new offense. Wow the offense "should" improve but even you have to agree to give it some time.

It was 2-1 defense which was lining up in the neutral zone too.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Those struggles offensively were the second team and Mannion.

nanotech

Rookie

You realize that was May 24. A lot has happened since then

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
To judge a young qb heading into his second year in a new offense with a completely new set of weapons around him after only 7 professional starts in a previous offense that was so incredibly inept and uneducating in his pro development with a godawful offensive line.. I mean, COME ONNNN!!!!

The guy is 21 yrs old playing arguably the hardest position in all of sports. Give him some time to build his skills and rapport with his teammates, and we may just have our franchise qb. I say to the doubters, do yourself a favor and listen to the guy speak. Listen to his coaches. Listen to his teammates. I do think he has that IT factor qb's need and he exudes the confidence necessary to lead this team. It takes time.

Please, if you want to make it through the summer without pulling your hair out, try not to hang on every literal word spoken by every media outlet and visitor we have. It's so tempting to get excited and read into everything that is happening at Thousand Oaks, especially because it's such a slow period and all we want is football, but do yourself a solid and enjoy the ride without being so damn critical!!!

Ram on brothers and sisters!!!!