Gonzalez: Jared Goff shows he's growing into role of Rams quarterback

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I'm not going to complain when I read anything positive about Goff but I will reserve judgement until the real ball comes out.

Glad to hear McVay say something similar along those lines.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Jesus Champ, how about a positive post once in awhile? Quick's gone, he sucked and will continue to suck. Get over it. Not attacking, just sayin'.
I have positive posts all the time. I love the defense. I hated the old scheme. I'm simply reporting what a future HOF'er sees...while we're ALL speculating what will be of the Rams and this offense.
You doubt Holt's veracity? That's cool....I'll tell you what he's implying...IMO....and what it compares with as far as what I saw. He's still processing information slowly...what he sees....and hence the slow decisions on delivering the ball. No matter how rebuilt the line is...QB's should make a huge leap in their 2nd year of action.
In OTA's, without any real defensive pressure, he still doesn't trust or know what he sees. What's gonna happen when the bullets start flying for real???
Here's some positivity...He's gonna look like my favorite QB of all time, Dan Marino.
d91a4947bac39c15b2248df59906bc07.jpg
images
pasted_image_at_2015_07_10_13_00.png
Positive-quotes.jpg
e7e46ce1ade76752fbe0b39e8587c513.jpg

oh yeah, Quick had 40 catches, 500+ yards, 3 tds....compare them to our current crop. You might not like what you find...
Holt isn't a coach. He simply sees that Goff isn't at the ideal level yet in terms of dishin it, and of course Torry's reference is Kurt Warner.
Holt isn't this teams coach, but he IS a coach...... I'm sure you'd agree that he's been to many practices of other teams and saw their QB's in action? You think he's comparing Goff to Warner or every other QB he's been watching the last few years?
In fact, rumor has it, when his son is finished with HS, he plans on going into coaching. I have no doubts he'll be a good one.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
oh yeah, Quick had 40 catches, 500+ yards, 3 tds....compare them to our current crop. You might not like what you find...

yeah lets do that shall we

Mr woods
2016 51 catches 613 yards 1 TD

short of 2 TDs he will give exactly what Quit gave us ... and i bet his effort and routes are better

and i know you dont wanna compare their career stats

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I wanted to address this in it's own lil box.
Nope, not the same. You always take anything said about Goff and give it the, I never like this pick anyway, slant. Either that or you just like to stir things up. You do a nice job either way.
I liked being aggressive for a QB...a franchise changing QB....I have witnessed what a QB will do for a team. Hell, I liked Sam Bradford. After watching Goff, I tend to lay on the side the kid doesn't have IT...Something about his demeanor....and hell yeah, I hope what I see can change. It seems there is a whole lot of, "he's working hard, he's a leader, he's first in last out....he's mister everything..." except in the results.
Holt says he looks good....with a caveat , as "compared to how he looked in St. Louis" ahhahahah...Gotta love Torry. He said he needs to quicken things up....which I took as, again, he's still getting the ball out too slowly...without any real rush...or chance to be hit. Which is huge to me....Like he needs to see someone WIDE OPEN b4 he delivers the ball.

A few years ago, someone had a post in here, what do you like in a QB or what's the most important thing a QB can possess....I offered a few but the most important trait/quality has been in MY opinion....the ability to process information...QUICKLY. To marry what you see with your eyes pre-snap...and post snap...and deliver an accurate ball downfield. I usually look at the top QB's in the league....Brees, Rogers, Brady, Rivers....and now a few more youngsters...couple this with a strong arm and you have something.

I've watched Goff at Cal....I usually like Cal RB's....but Goff has never really beaten ANY good team in his career. NEVER. Again...when the rush is on, you need a quick thinker...and I don't see this....

So I liked the pick...not more than Wentz...hell, I knew he wasn't as ready...Now, I'm thinking Lynch woulda been better...shoulda stayed put. When Cody Kessler has better numbers, I'd assume most would be a lil alarmed at this point of OTA's with a 2nd year player....Remember biggest jump is 1st to 2nd year.

My main point is to discuss my views....I like to stir up discussion on the team I love....with like minds...
Proceed to jump in now Ole school and Jrry...LOLOLOLOLOLOL

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Goff's education from this staff is just getting started, too early to judge, and folks are expecting "results"? Based on what? Sitting around reading a playbook and watching film during the off season? Good grief, give the kid a chance to get some on field teaching and classroom sessions from the new staff.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff's education from this staff is just getting started, too early to judge results.

no but you see SOME players get 5 years to show if they have ..some others get 7 games

how can you not see this logic is sound and correct

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Mr woods
2016 51 catches 613 yards 1 TD

short of 2 TDs he will give exactly what Quit gave us ... and i bet his effort and routes are better
For 30 million more.....oooh weee.....super addition.

As I see veteran wr's dropping off rosters...this is looking like the biggest misuse of resources since....well I'd go political but it's not the time...ahh eff it...military industrial complex.
no but you see SOME players get 5 years to show if they have ..some others get 7 games

how can you not see this logic is sound and correct
I'll play....trust me..
Quick and especially Britt were NOT the problems with the offense. Pretty soon we'll be able to eliminate the offensive line. Looks like we also can't blame the OC....who'll be left if the offense doesn't improve?

There is a reason the Case Keenum, Austin Davis....and Kellen Clemmons are where they are....

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

As I see veteran wr's dropping off rosters...this is looking like the biggest misuse of resources since....well I'd go political but it's not the time...ahh eff it...military industrial complex.

I'll play....trust me..
Quick and especially Britt were NOT the problems with the offense. Pretty soon we'll be able to eliminate the offensive line. Looks like we also can't blame the OC....who'll be left if the offense doesn't improve?

There is a reason the Case Keenum, Austin Davis....and Kellen Clemmons are where they are....

show me where i stated brit was the problem ??

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Still cautiously optimistic but having the right coach and working through 1st team reps are steps in the right direction.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
show me where i stated brit was the problem ??
Not you...but the theme is all the guys that left are "worse" than what we have here, now. So you didn't say Britt. But assuming Quick WAS the problem is just as wrong.

Go back to 3-1 in 2016....rolling...well, stumbling, but Quick was balling out....next game, guy gets 3 passes total....TOTAL...After a 2 TD game with only 3 or 4 targets then. I can't see where this guy was given an opportune chance to succeed? I see where he was neglected like most on this offensive team. The proof will be if McVay's old boss Gruden turns this guy into a stud. And if Britt balls out too...it'll confirm it wasn't the skill positions at fault.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Back to the actual theme of the OP...

Namely, Goff and his progress.

Here's the thing. Our sources of info are very, very limited.

Summertime coachspeak with a happytalk accent from a brand new coaching staff.

And a grand total of 2 days of allowed beat writer OTA observations.

That ain't much to go on, is it? Lol.

Nevertheless, what we do hear about Goff tends to be pretty danged upbeat, at that. I particularly liked Vinny's tweet the other day.

We'll get a much better read when those camp reports start coming in next month. But until then, I think cautious optimism is justified.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler

I'll play....trust me..

Can't blame the OC? Seriously?! Happy hour is at 5 dude.

jap

Legend
Not Holt.

Nobody in the NFL EVER got the ball out faster than Warner, and I will go to my grave firm in the belief that it was due to his stint in the Arena league, with the icing being having Bruce, Holt, Akhim , Faulk, and , oh yeah, Martz as a coach.
You're comparing chicken crap to chicken salad, and it's flat unfair period.

Jesus Champ, how about a positive post once in awhile? Quick's gone, he sucked and will continue to suck. Get over it. Not attacking, just sayin'.

That's not true. I remember a tri-split screen comparing the release times for Kurt, Dan Marino, and Marc Bulger during actual play. Dan was a hair faster than Kurt, and Marc was a hair faster than Dan.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Can't blame the OC? Seriously?! Happy hour is at 5 dude.
In 2017, there is no reason we should be looking at the OC as the reason if this offense fails to produce. It'll all be the LINE (which appears to be getting reset), the skill positions (I think there is some talent there as well), or the QB ( the real question mark, IMO)

You call it happy hour,

some would say breakfast....:sneaky::party::cheers:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
That's not true. I remember a tri-split screen comparing the release times for Kurt, Dan Marino, and Marc Bulger during actual play. Dan was a hair faster than Kurt, and Marc was a hair faster than Dan.

:puke:Bulger

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
I recall that Marino, Bulger and Warner all had the same release mechanics, and it was negligible on their release time, but gave Marino the title, Warner 2nd and Bulger 3rd.... but I cannot find any proof....

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Torry Holt said he was still getting the ball out slowly while he was there...who do you believe?
This is an interesting Question, and quite a challenge, who to believe!?! The New - young - offensive genius - HC or the world-class -elite - WR - soon to be hall of famer!?!
IDK! But I'm leaning toward ....... Nope, IDK!!!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

They were only looking at the release. They didn't measure the time to make the decision to throw, pretty much where you differentiate between the elite and jags. I think everyone knows who is who.