Gonzalez: Jared Goff shows he's growing into role of Rams quarterback

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
By Alden Gonzalez

upload_2017-6-6_14-52-12.png

Jared Goff has immersed himself in Sean McVay's offense, which is very pleasing to the new Rams coach. AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Jared Goff stepped up in the pocket and fired a bullet, roughly 30 yards down the field, right into the hands of Robert Woods on a post route. Earlier, he hit Nelson Spruce for a long touchdown. And leading up to that impressive throw to Woods, he made crisp, accurate passes to Tyler Higbee and Cooper Kupp as part of a two-minute drill.

It's only organized team activities, which means players are not in pads and live contact is not permitted, but Goff looked good on Monday.

Rams rookie coach Sean McVay is nonetheless reserving judgement.

"Until you’re actually live as a quarterback, that’s when you truly get challenged," McVay said. "You’re having to move with the rush, avoid guys that can really tackle you. That’s always the best evaluator. I think he has done a nice job improving every single day, and that’s what’s going to give us a chance.”

Goff, with a 22.2 Total QBR in his brief NFL career, began his offseason by receiving instruction from noted quarterback guru Tom House. And ever since the official offseason program began, the 22-year-old has immersed himself in McVay's offense, spending almost every possible waking minute at the Rams' facility. McVay said he has been "very pleased" with what Goff has done "above the neck."

His teammates have noticed more confidence, more conviction.

"You can tell, especially just starting with the command of the offense, him being able to take that and control the huddle and get guys lined up, and keep that poise when things aren’t going well and when things are going well," said Higbee, Goff's roommate throughout training camp last year. "He looks good."

"More confident, more relaxed, more poised in the pocket" is how second-year receiver Mike Thomas compared this year's Goff to last year's Goff. "Letting the game come to him and taking his time, being patient on the field."

Goff is benefiting from having an entire NFL season under his belt and knowing from the start that he will be the starting quarterback -- but he must perform in order to keep his job.

McVay wasn't around when the Rams moved up 14 spots to draft Goff No. 1 overall last spring, and thus has no real loyalty to Goff, who struggled mightily over the course of seven rookie starts, all of them losses. If Goff doesn't show signs that he is making significant strides toward at least becoming a reliable starting quarterback for the foreseeable future, McVay probably won't have a hard time turning to his backup, Sean Mannion, a third-round pick in 2015 who hasn't seen much playing time yet.

McVay often has said he and his staff will "constantly evaluate guys."

Starting fresh allows him to keep an open mind at every position, including quarterback.

"Jared is our guy; we have a lot of confidence in what he's done," McVay stressed after Monday's practice. "But we have confidence in Sean as well. ... We’re going to play the guys that give us the ability to win football games and the guys that are competing at the highest level. Clearly, Jared has done that so far. It’s a one-day-at-a-time process, but what he has done is just pick things up. He’s getting better every single day, and he has definitely commanded that role. He did that again today."

[www.espn.com]

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Torry Holt said he was still getting the ball out slowly while he was there...who do you believe?

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I think being a Rams fan has jaded me. I see these nice articles and I think "Meh, been there done that". Its better than saying that he's having trouble picking things up or he's not making good throws. You have to start somewhere. But I'm approaching this with cautious optimism. I remember how good Bradford looked in preseason. It didn't carry over to the regular season for him. At least enough to produce a winning season. We'll have to wait and see with Goff.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Torry Holt said he was still getting the ball out slowly while he was there...who do you believe?

That's definitely not good news. Goff has shown great commitment this off-season to improve. That's all we can ask and let's hope that process and the new staff can help him develop. But he doesn't have many Hall-O- Famers evaluating him. I def trust Torry's assessment.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I was able to, I'd put money down on a bet that Goff will be the starter all year, unless injured. Kronke & Co. did not hire him not to develop a QB that the Ram's sacrificed so much to get last year.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't remember that comment I remember a comment about timing and getting that up to speed. Either way all reports seem to be positive. Even some compliments for Mannion from Torry, talking about how he looked much better than his rookie year in St. Louis.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Either Goff is putting in the work, or he is expending a lot of effort trying to look like he is putting in work. I think the former is much more likely. If he continues to put in the time and effort to be ready mentally and physically (but especially mentally), I think we are all in for some good years ahead.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why wouldn't he be better... he's got a year under his belt. I look for Goff to blossom this year, if the O-line can protect him. I also believe we have some talented receivers. They are young, but if Goff can connect with a couple of them, this offense can be good.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He, being Goff or Manion?

I don't remember that comment

Do you have a link ? Im interested in reading this.

When did he say this.

This is what I'm referring to

View: http://www.therams.com/videos/videos/Torry_Holt_Rams_Legends_Press_Conference/a9480574-3659-47bc-b3b4-674c184f8e61

.he talks about his timing and "quickening some things up".
That's not, "getting the ball out slowly"?

And my only point was, in OTA's, with no way of getting hit, this seems significant, and very similar to what was going on in camp last season.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

View: http://www.therams.com/videos/videos/Torry_Holt_Rams_Legends_Press_Conference/a9480574-3659-47bc-b3b4-674c184f8e61

And my only point was, in OTA's, with no way of getting hit, this seems significant, and very similar to what was going on in camp last season.
Could be it sounds like they're just working through things normally and they'll have to speed things up to get to game speed. He definitely doesn't straight up say Goff gets the ball out slow.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame

Nope, not the same. You always take anything said about Goff and give it the, I never like this pick anyway, slant. Either that or you just like to stir things up. You do a nice job either way.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Not Holt.

Nobody in the NFL EVER got the ball out faster than Warner, and I will go to my grave firm in the belief that it was due to his stint in the Arena league, with the icing being having Bruce, Holt, Akhim , Faulk, and , oh yeah, Martz as a coach.
You're comparing chicken shit to chicken salad, and it's flat unfair period.

Jesus Champ, how about a positive post once in awhile? Quick's gone, he sucked and will continue to suck. Get over it. Not attacking, just sayin'.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Holt isn't a coach. He simply sees that Goff isn't at the ideal level yet in terms of dishin it, and of course Torry's reference is Kurt Warner.

But that doesn't mean anything bad. We're in OTAs during the install of a new offense FFS. I'd be shocked if he was playing like Warner or even well enough to impress a Hall of Fame level WR at this juncture.

What matters right now is that he has command of the offense. That means in the days ahead as they drill it in and the hits start flying, he'll be ready.