Goff's SB performance

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
We were close, the Pat's played a perfect defense for us, McVay started to figure out a few things, but not until it was too late. Additionally, he will likely spend the offseason developing his Plan B, because Plan A works so much he rarely has needed to do anything other than our scheme. I trust him to figure it out, he and Goff will come back stronger.

If we had Kupp, I think we would have moved the ball much more and won the game, he thrives against zone in my opinion and would have gotten the separation. Kupp probably would have had a 200 yard game. But maybe that's just wishful thinking. Who knows?

Point is the loss of Kupp is like the loss of Faulk, that second QB out there on the field. It's huge and him back healthy is huge.

O-Line needed to play better, but I like the depth we're starting to build.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'm gonna say it again because I feel like Uncle Rico and I might as well lean into it, but not a doubt in my mind we win that game with Kupp playing. Not a doubt.

TexasRam

Legend
I'm gonna say it again because I feel like Uncle Rico and I might as well lean into it, but not a doubt in my mind we win that game with Kupp playing. Not a doubt.

Agreed. What we saw was two defensive big game Proven coaches over 65+ flex their proverbial experience muscles.Wade and Bill.

The only way to beat either defense was to have an individual that had Elite skills underneath to create space. They had Edelman, we had Kupp injured.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Elite competitors dont play like garabe in the biggest moments of their life...sorry it doesnt happen.

He needed to make big throws and READ THE DEFENSE under pressure, and he couldn't get it done.
No offense to you honestly, What the hell is up with labels? elite players do this or that. All players are human and it takes the 11 on the field to be productive. 106 players in the super bore and Brady, Donald and and and ??? are considered elite unanimously so 2 out of 106 or under 2%. I wish we would stop trying to put people in pretty labeled boxes. P.S 1 of the 2 elite guys Brady was far from elite yesterday

MachS

Hall of Fame
No offense to you honestly, What the hell is up with labels? elite players do this or that. All players are human and it takes the 11 on the field to be productive. 106 players in the super bore and Brady, Donald and and and ??? are considered elite unanimously so 2 out of 106 or under 2%. I wish we would stop trying to put people in pretty labeled boxes. P.S 1 of the 2 elite guys Brady was far from elite yesterday

I'm not talking about him being an elite QB or elite player. I'm specifically talking about your ability to compete at an elite level and show up in the biggest moments when it matters. He showed up late in the Saints game and played great, but last night he didn't make enough plays. He looked overwhelmed and tentative - and after three quarters of getting beat down there were still plays to be made. I mean for fucks sake Foles and Peterson put up 41 on this defense last year and we managed 3 points. Some people relish the moment and play their best football, that's my point.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'm not talking about him being an elite QB or elite player. I'm specifically talking about your ability to compete at an elite level and show up in the biggest moments when it matters. He showed up late in the Saints game and played great, but last night he didn't make enough plays. He looked overwhelmed and tentative - and after three quarters of getting beat down there were still plays to be made. I mean for fucks sake Foles and Peterson put up 41 on this defense last year and we managed 3 points. Some people relish the moment and play their best football, that's my point.
I understand your point.

I think, for a lot of people, a lot of people, probably including yourself, and myself, the wounds are very fresh.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let's see that video then OK.

https://www.patriots.com/video/jason-mccourty-flies-in-to-break-up-would-be-td-to-brandin-cooks

You can see at the 24 second mark. The ball beats McCourty. But it was a difficult catch. Goff could have thrown a tick sooner and made it easier on Cooks. Still, it's a play you hope your #1 WR makes considering the moment.

For example, one could argue that the Eagles lose if Jeffery doesn't snag this ball:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3nuGz4NGtc

It was a similarly difficult catch. Your stars have to make superhuman plays to win the Super Bowl. We had a couple shots, and it didn't happen.

jacktheripper85

Starter
Now McVay maybe needed to be more patient with the run, but you can tell he was expecting Brady to put up points so I think McVay forced things a bit when maybe he should not have. Thus threw more when he could have tried to feed Gurley and Anderson more.

Agree with you on McVay abandoning the run too soon. The whole offense was bad but considering Belechik’s history against young QBs-especially in big games I was hoping we would have an offensive game plan similar to the Dallas game.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
You can see at the 24 second mark. The ball beats McCourty. But it was a difficult catch. Goff could have thrown a tick sooner and made it easier on Cooks. Still, it's a play you hope your #1 WR makes considering the moment.

Thats a bad pass to a wide open WR.

High and behind.

fearsomefour

Legend
this is the one that hurts most. Baldy showed two perfect angles. WE HAD THEM. 7-3 Rams and a different game.

Question for us old-timers: (not too old)

what did this “helium” pass remind you of?

1989 Jim Everett NFC Championship pass to a wide open Flipper Anderson. Second quarter. Rams up 3-0 with a chance to blow the game open 10-0 and shut up the Candlestick crowd. I know. I was there.

Flipper had shaken his coverage. His man slipped and left Flipper wide open down the right side line. Everett launched the sure touchdown. I now know from video that his arm was hit, (Charles Haley?)

This young Ram fan watched the ball from the upper deck, among smug, cheese-breathed whiner fans, clad in their Montana and Roger Craig jerseys. (in circled area of photo)
View attachment 28424
View attachment 28425

Like Goffs ball yesterday, it started off fine, like a missile, screaming toward its target. Then, it seems to hit an air gust and hung there, as Ronnie Lott ran from the other side of the field to bat it down.

View attachment 28426

View attachment 28427

...and that was it. The Whiners went on to win 30-3 and win the Super Bowl.

Two floated passes. Two missed opportunities. sigh

Turn the page.
Exactly what it was....and now I vomit.

fearsomefour

Legend
Spare me all the bullcrap. Goff is one of the youngest QBs to start a Super Bowl. If you go through and look at the other guys, none of them played well. We have people nitpicking the stupidest crap. He was a tick late on some throws. Yes, that's what happens when the opposing defense has you not trusting what you're seeing. I'm not going to get into critiquing other players for mistakes because there were plenty to go around. It's just amazing how quickly some of y'all turn on the kid.

Peyton Manning was crapping bed against New England at 27 and 28 years old. I can't even imagine how many of y'all would have been ripping him apart. It blows me away how this fanbase has gone from desperate to just watch winning football to absolutely spoiled over night. Goff is the FOURTH youngest QB to start a Super Bowl behind Dan Marino, Ben Roethlisberger, and David Woodley. All three of those QBs played poorly in the Super Bowl. Ben is the only one who won the Super Bowl, and he posted worse numbers than Goff.

Simply put, a QB making the Super Bowl at Goff's age is rare. A QB playing well in the Super Bowl at Goff's age is unheard of. Even Brady didn't play well in his Super Bowl against us when he was Goff's age. Nevertheless, when we were down 10-3 in the 4th quarter, Goff threw a perfect pass to Cooks for what should have been the game-tying TD. Cooks failed to catch it. He threw the Int on the next play. Had Cooks caught that ball, Goff is being celebrated as a hero and a clutch QB. We might even have won that game.
Goff was terrible.
No excuses or getting around it. He played like crap and in more than one way.
All of that said I don't think it impacts his long term development at all. There is no doubt in my mind Goff will crush every single Rams passing record. Probably more than doubling a lot of them up.
For all of the pundits blathering on and on about Goff being a bust....and then not....I still consider his progress ahead of schedule.
I don't read anymore into his performance than he is a young guy who faced a great D coach and the moment was a little big for him.
As you've stated it has happened to a lot more veteran guys.
The margin for error in all games is small. The margin for improvement is now small for Goff. There may be some ebb and flow to his improvement but I think all arrows are pointed up.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
If Kupp was in this game the game would be totally different. Edelman is to Brady what Kupp is to Goff. Noone on the Pats did a damn but Edelman. Pats shut everyone down but cooks, and he is not our #1 receiver. Got to put things into perspective.

NoCoNite

ILoveGoffBalls
Name
ILoveGoffBalls
We have a lot of good players on offense. We didn’t have any great ones. Gurley was a great player in the first half of the season. Our offense wasn’t very good after he fell off.
Imagine someone telling you before the start of the lions game, that our defense will out play our offense in the super bowl, and CJ Anderson will have more touches than Gurley.

TexasRam

Legend
If Cooks comes down with the perfectly thrown TD pass the Narrative is how Goff outplayed Brady with a TD pass and 0 interception vs a much more fierce pass rush than Brady faced all game.

It's amazing how a QB has to throw the ball and catch it too or he had a bad game, despite all the drops his WR's had or the lack of protection he had.

Count how many drops Brady's WR's had - I'm not sure there was more than 1 drop.
Goff's WR's dropped at least 7 passes off the top of my head.

Goff wasn't perfect and the rushed interception to Cooks with the zero coverage Blitz up the middle was an epic Fail by Goff. I'll concede that. He has to respond different in that situation in the future.

But to Characterize Goff's performance in context of the drops and lack of protection with a statement that Goff was terrible is a lazy generalization. Goff got the ball in his WR's hands in tight coverage all night long and the Patriots repeatedly ripped the arms of our WR's away from the ball. That is the fact of what happened the repeatedly for any who wish to actually break down play by play. But Jared did something else, he avoided forcing the ball in a 3-3 game or turning it over when getting sacked. He kept us close and made the game winning TD pass for the Lombardi until Cooks dropped it.

ramdonnie

UDFA
I mean, if Cooks catches the touchdown Goff makes as many big plays as Brady did. And Goff's would have been for a touchdown where New England had to still run it in. And then Goff got them in field goal range and GZ missed it at end. 10 points right there. So Goff made as many big plays as Brady did. Both defenses were on point tonight. Patriots skill players just made more plays.

Great points!

KDS73

Rookie
https://www.patriots.com/video/jason-mccourty-flies-in-to-break-up-would-be-td-to-brandin-cooks

For example, one could argue that the Eagles lose if Jeffery doesn't snag this ball:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3nuGz4NGtc

It was a similarly difficult catch. Your stars have to make superhuman plays to win the Super Bowl. We had a couple shots, and it didn't happen.

The trust that Foles had in his receivers late last year was obvious. Something that Goff needs to learn how to do. Sometimes you need to throw up some 50/50 balls and trust your receivers to make the play. Especially when your defense is playing well. Goff left his cojones back in LA for this one.

Ram65

Legend
When you're getting out coached as bad as we were, your players need to step up. We played bad football in the biggest moments.

Check out @BaldyNFL’s Tweet:
View: https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1092436214341353472?s=09

Check out @BaldyNFL’s Tweet:
View: https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1092432041910648833?s=09

Goff needs to be better. Baldinger's videos are quite damning.

There was a domino effect for the Rams offense that started with the NE defense. They controlled the line of scrimmage and got pressure on Goff. They got in Goff's head. I would like to see how Goff made these those in the regular season to compare. It does look like he was late on the throws. Those would have been nice first downs. It wasn't Goff's day.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The trust that Foles had in his receivers late last year was obvious. Something that Goff needs to learn how to do. Sometimes you need to throw up some 50/50 balls and trust your receivers to make the play. Especially when your defense is playing well. Goff left his cojones back in LA for this one.

Goff threw multiple 50/50 balls. Our WRs didn't catch them.