Goff's SB performance

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
How is he confused on these though? They are not complicated reads and plays he's been running since McVay arrived. I'm still in disbelief he played so bad.

Check out @BaldyNFL’s Tweet:
View: https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1092464567630876673?s=09

Confus d as in not trusting what he should do....tentative, confused, unsure, seeing ghosts to quote Keenum....say how you want he was late on throws and not seeing open guys when they were open.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
How is he confused on these though? They are not complicated reads and plays he's been running since McVay arrived. I'm still in disbelief he played so bad.

Check out @BaldyNFL’s Tweet:
View: https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1092464567630876673?s=09

this is the one that hurts most. Baldy showed two perfect angles. WE HAD THEM. 7-3 Rams and a different game.

Question for us old-timers: (not too old)

what did this “helium” pass remind you of?

1989 Jim Everett NFC Championship pass to a wide open Flipper Anderson. Second quarter. Rams up 3-0 with a chance to blow the game open 10-0 and shut up the Candlestick crowd. I know. I was there.

Flipper had shaken his coverage. His man slipped and left Flipper wide open down the right side line. Everett launched the sure touchdown. I now know from video that his arm was hit, (Charles Haley?)

This young Ram fan watched the ball from the upper deck, among smug, cheese-breathed whiner fans, clad in their Montana and Roger Craig jerseys. (in circled area of photo)
95000E2F-E7E7-4304-A738-803D7E90EA5C.jpeg

18F44437-B9D5-4E8D-BE3C-2026B9867258.png

Like Goffs ball yesterday, it started off fine, like a missile, screaming toward its target. Then, it seems to hit an air gust and hung there, as Ronnie Lott ran from the other side of the field to bat it down.

E2A50031-0400-4849-A42B-AF575BD8DF7D.png

FC34BD66-50AC-4982-AA88-A20A0E674EC8.png

...and that was it. The Whiners went on to win 30-3 and win the Super Bowl.

Two floated passes. Two missed opportunities. sigh

Turn the page.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
O line played like trash no doubt, but that doesnt mean we didn't have our chances..how many throws did he miss? Brady was under pressure all game long but still made ENOUGH big plays, enough right reads.

Circumstances have to be too perfect for Goff to play well. He doesn't consistently make plays under pressure or when things break down.

If McVay gets beat schematically like he did today, we have NO chance.

Sorry, there is too many generalizations to respond to, so that post gets a different opinion from me.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The thread title is incorrect. It's Roethlisberger.

Title edited. Keep your Goff Super Bowl discussion here. Thanks.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Elite competitors dont play like garabe in the biggest moments of their life...sorry it doesnt happen.

He needed to make big throws and READ THE DEFENSE under pressure, and he couldn't get it done.

Unless you're Peyton Manning.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
He isn't an elite quarterback now. I said that in the Goff thread about whether he was elite.

Where was Cooks on that pass in the endzone? Guy makes $15M a year. Make the catch. Where was Donald? Where was Gurley?

This team is not in as good shape as everyone believes. Too many overpriced players that are not going to make enough impact that justifies their salary.

Bullshit.
Gurley, Cooks and Donald (and others), got us there.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Ben Rothlisberger SB 40 9-21 158
Trent dilfer SB 35 12-26 138

I’m sure there are more but you get the idea, Goff didn’t play great but sometimes somebody has to catch a ball off their head to win a game and that didn’t happen.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Elite competitors dont play like garabe in the biggest moments of their life...sorry it doesnt happen.

He needed to make big throws and READ THE DEFENSE under pressure, and he couldn't get it done.

He made one big time throw to Cooks, who had his arm held. Momentum and confidence is very important for younger players.

I am not gonna be hard on Goff. He made good throws when guys were open. He had no time to throw often and nobody open often too.

Ellard80

Legend
Goff has to be better and everyone knows it (including himself- he admitted this much after the game)

There isn't much to say beyond that - the future of this team belongs to him. That's the NFL.

TexasRam

Legend
Goff had two PERFECT TD throws dropped. BOTH were right in his WR’s hands. Goff is the Hero and Hoisting the Lombardi if his WR makes the play.

Goff CLEARLY outplayed Brady who had the luxury of Edelman who no one could cover.

The NFL network EXPERTS has reviewed the game and agreed that the difference was NOT the QB’s whos stat lines were equal but the Patriots defense who ripped the ball at least 2 times for would be TD’s and 7 times forcing punt.

The FACTS are IN: Goff delivered the ball under MASSIVE pressure and almost singlehandedly won the game. But his WR’s were unable to hold onto the perfectly thrown balls.

This win had zero to do with Brady and the loss zero to do with Goff. The Loss has everything to do with Edelman, and the Patriots defense tearing balls out of the Rams WR’s hands. PERIOD.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Some of you people ragging Goff are beyond ridiculous.

Peyton Fcking Manning LOST his first 3 playoff games, including a 41-0 shellacking by the NY Jets, and didn't finally get a playoff win until his 5th season, despite having a great surrounding cast. His first two times against Belichek were losses as well, including a 20-3 loss. That's an undisputed HOF QB there, and yet it took 5 seasons before he even got a playoff win, and took **9** (that's NINE) before he finally got to a Super Bowl.

Goff led the team to the NFC Championship - in a hostile environment, without one of his best WR's, and with the Rams franchise RB hobbled and benched - in just his THIRD season.

You mean like Manning against the Seahawks in that Super Bowl? Or Brady in the two Super Bowls against the Giants? By your standards, those guys aren't elite competitors either.

Get a grip.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i'm guessing goff felt a lot better when he got home to this.

231745.jpg

all the problems in the world would go away with this woman consoling you.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Goff CLEARLY outplayed Brady who had the luxury of Edelman who no one could cover.

Man I wish I could watch that game and actually believe this. If you're content with the way our franchise quarterback performed on the biggest stage then that's on you. He's got talent, but he also had a chance to win the SB and didn't play well enough. He deserves his share of the criticism.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Goff needs to be better. Baldinger's videos are quite damning. But at the same time, it is ridiculously hard to be perfect and never be even a half-second late at QB when you are playing a Bill Belichick coached defense executing one of the best defensive game plans put together by that mastermind.

Even more so when you are in year 3 of your career, in your early 20s, playing in the Super Bowl of all stages, with precious little playoff experience, no running game support, facing pressure all night from a leaky o-line to throw off your timing, and your security blanket in Cooper Kupp being gone.

Goff needs to be better. But nothing in his development to date leads me to believe he will not improve on these traits. I'm much more concerned about McVay. The task of putting together a competent offensive game plan is, comparatively, much easier than perfect QB performance. Especially in the above scenario Goff was facing. McVay couldn't do it and showed many of his repeated short-comings, but I will wait to hear Gurley's true health status before being too harsh on Sean.

And as much as Goff needs to improve, he was still good enough last night to win if our WRs made the very-challenging-yet-possible catches they are getting big bucks for. To underscore just how hard QB is and how we can't hold Goff to a standard of perfection and be mad at anything short of it - Brady was just as bad as Goff last night, even with all of his big game experience to draw on. I think Brady's QB rating was actually worse than Goff's (both were abysmal) but I am open to correction on that. The only difference between Goff and Brady last night was that Gronk made the tough catches for him. For Goff, Cooks couldn't pull it off. That, and Brady had his security blanket in Edleman, whereas Goff was missing Kupp. Very few QBs will ever be perfect anyway. The fact Goff has come about as close as possible already a few times in his career (vs. Minnesota, vs. Kansas City) is encouraging. He can do it again. But he usually won't, even at his peak, when facing top tier NFL defenses and coaching. That's reality for every QB in this league when facing the cream of the crop in defensive talent and coaching - we saw it with Brady last night - and we can't flip out over it.

If Cooks makes those catches last night and the Rams win, everyone is praising Goff this morning for being clutch. Game of inches.

But yes, we need more from Goff going forward.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is that what you kids are calling it nowadays?

haha, i was trying to keep it classy.

but then again i know that when i give my wife a hug anything bad that's happening in my life goes away for that moment. i'm sure it would be the same for everyone.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Look there is blame to go all around.

But to be fair Goff needs to learn to make the big throws in big games. He told Bate Silver that the 2 passes that Higby caught they practice all the time ref the NO game 2 huge catches at the end of the regulation. To me they seemed desperate not orchestrated. Those throws need to apoeaa more calmer like Mahommes does when under duress.

Goff is a pocket passer with the ability to extend plays but when blitzed he seems very rattled. Prime example his Sprint out after the pocket breaks down. Instead of tossing the ball out of bounds he mentally freezes and ends up taking a weird sack which looked like he fell to his knees - at the end of the 4th quarter.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Spare me all the bullshit. Goff is one of the youngest QBs to start a Super Bowl. If you go through and look at the other guys, none of them played well. We have people nitpicking the stupidest shit. He was a tick late on some throws. Yes, that's what happens when the opposing defense has you not trusting what you're seeing. I'm not going to get into critiquing other players for mistakes because there were plenty to go around. It's just amazing how quickly some of y'all turn on the kid.

Peyton Manning was shitting bed against New England at 27 and 28 years old. I can't even imagine how many of y'all would have been ripping him apart. It blows me away how this fanbase has gone from desperate to just watch winning football to absolutely spoiled over night. Goff is the FOURTH youngest QB to start a Super Bowl behind Dan Marino, Ben Roethlisberger, and David Woodley. All three of those QBs played poorly in the Super Bowl. Ben is the only one who won the Super Bowl, and he posted worse numbers than Goff.

Simply put, a QB making the Super Bowl at Goff's age is rare. A QB playing well in the Super Bowl at Goff's age is unheard of. Even Brady didn't play well in his Super Bowl against us when he was Goff's age. Nevertheless, when we were down 10-3 in the 4th quarter, Goff threw a perfect pass to Cooks for what should have been the game-tying TD. Cooks failed to catch it. He threw the Int on the next play. Had Cooks caught that ball, Goff is being celebrated as a hero and a clutch QB. We might even have won that game.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Sorry but it happens multiple times per season, for every single season that every single sport has existed.

You are 100% wrong.

How many drops did Cooks have?

I didn't see any, but post a couple of vid clips to show me OK.

Brady was under pressure all game long but still made ENOUGH big plays, enough right reads.

Late in the game he had time. And yes he made plays. But he was not under pressure like Goff was late in the game.

If McVay gets beat schematically like he did today, we have NO chance.

We won that DET game you mentioned LOL.

I mean, if Cooks catches the touchdown Goff makes as many big plays as Brady did

Again this was not a drop.

One was a shit throw and the other was a PI the refs can't see because of their placement.

The Ball Hit Cooks hands before the defends did

Let's see that video then OK.

Title edited. Keep your Goff Super Bowl discussion here. Thanks.

Or what??? :sneak:

Goff had two PERFECT TD throws dropped. BOTH were right in his WR’s hands. Goff is the Hero and Hoisting the Lombardi if his WR makes the play.

OK lets see the videos then.

Brady outplayed Goff and it isn't even close.

You may as well say McVay outcoached Belichik.

The FACTS are IN: Goff delivered the ball under MASSIVE pressure and almost singlehandedly won the game. But his WR’s were unable to hold onto the perfectly thrown balls.

OK yeah lets see the video then..........

This win had zero to do with Brady and the loss zero to do with Goff. The Loss has everything to do with Edelman, and the Patriots defense tearing balls out of the Rams WR’s hands. PERIOD.

And also the Patriots didn't give up on the run and kept pounding away. old school football.

30 runs not counting the two times Brady ran.

Rams ran about half of that.

It was a big contributing factor. One of a few, but it has to weigh in IMO.