Goff INT against Cowboys - concerning?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsInfiniti

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have noticed that when the Rams are behind right before the half that when they have the ball under two minutes that Goff makes some stupid throws.

I am wondering if he gets a little desperate during these moments and doesn't calm himself down until later in the game when he starts making some really good throws. I have seen some great throws in the fourth quarter when he tries to make a comeback.

The superbowl was one of them.

He should have had two touchdowns in that game in the fourth quarter. And there have been other games where if the receiver catches the ball in the end zone or interference calls are made in the end zone at the end of the game, Goff would have led some impressive comebacks.

I just wish he would fix his issues earlier in these games and not at the very end.

Agreed - I think Goff is (probably) going to be fine. For me, it all comes down to McVay setting him up to succeed. As he matures, he should work through some of these issues.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On that freeze frame, the O-line is blown up, falling down, looking the wrong way when help is needed to the left. He just needs a split second more to scan other options. Maybe throw it into the ground. Excellent point about the lack of running game. Dallas played outstanding D.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
B I N G O and bingo was his name-o.
On a side note, have you ever wondered if “Bingo” was the name of the dog, or the Farmer??
F3F65EFD-862C-4BBA-BA9B-FA2B30A2951E.gif

bluecoconuts

Legend
Whats with all this “Goff is a first/second read QB only” crap? He makes reads past that every single week. Those little Higbee sneaking out late and suddenly breaking off a big run plays that we saw against Arizona and Seattle are both plays where Higbee is his last read for example.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know that Woods wasn't the most open guy on that play, but you guys realize that his arm was hit on that throw, right? I'm not talking about hitting Whit's helmet on the follow through, I am talking about Quinn hitting his upper arm before he let go of the ball. It was a small window, but if we are being honest, Goff has made that throw several times this year.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's had a truly awful season this year. Unfortunately, part of paying Goff was probably not retaining Saffold (for future cap implications).

McVay gambled that Goff was ready for that, and he was wrong.

On the defensive side of the ball, last week and against the Ravens was ridiculous. For those types of performances, it's hard to fathom how much we're paying Goff and Donald.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
Goff has always locked on to 1 receiver. Not every throw but more than not. Take a look at the 3rd down plays were we need 5 or so yards and he would just throw it deep alot of times... Even into double... but have recievers open underneath.

TexasRam

Legend
I know that Woods wasn't the most open guy on that play, but you guys realize that his arm was hit on that throw, right? I'm not talking about hitting Whit's helmet on the follow through, I am talking about Quinn hitting his upper arm before he let go of the ball. It was a small window, but if we are being honest, Goff has made that throw several times this year.

Not only that, but we were backed up at our 15-20 yard line with 1:29 left and only two timeouts down big.

We were in a pass only hurry up offense and needed big chunks. A throw to Higbee sitting down underneath would was freely given up by the dallas Defense because it would kill more time for minimal gain.

We were put in this position because our run game and lack of defense.

When Goff is your leading rusher for 3 yards at the half, there is your problem.

The entire Oline was horrible. Getting destroyed at all 5 line positions.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What is happening is teams are schematically predicting his reads and the route tendencies of the wideouts. Which means that Goff has to get through his reads faster and more accurately in those situations where the defense knows the pass is coming.

McVay anticipated this btw. In camp they were purposely stacking the defense so that Jared would see the worst possible matchups in an attempt to help him grow. And this is something McVay cannot do for him.

The additional complication here is that Jared hasn't been comfortable in the pocket due to protections all year. This is why they need to improve there and help their young QB have what he needs to take that next step.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
Goffs season definitely hasn't seemed great but ill point out that with two games left he already has more passing yards than he did in 2017 and hes 600 yards shy of matching last years. I know that doesnt tell the whole story but it shows theres plenty of potential in Jared when he's protected and feeling confident in the OL.

RamsInfiniti

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Goffs season definitely hasn't seemed great but ill point out that with two games left he already has more passing yards than he did in 2017 and hes 600 yards shy of matching last years. I know that doesnt tell the whole story but it shows theres plenty of potential in Jared when he's protected and feeling confident in the OL.

That's the primary issue though. What is Goff going to do when he's NOT protected and feeling confident in the OL? He has to get faster at making decisions, both pre- and post-snap.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
You are missing the point of being a QB. They aren't supposed to GUESS about what is going to happen, they are supposed to KNOW what COULD happen in the variety of scenarios and make a decision on that. Goff was going to Woods before the ball was snapped, 100%.

There was no disguise, Cowboys are in classic prevent shell defense, basic 4-3 alignment with LB'ers deep. There was no blitz on the play. This is what almost every team does in this situation.

If LB'ers drop on the snap - the underneath middle is open - Woods is NOT an option in this case. If there is a LB blitz, Gurley is the option in the flat. Cooks is always an option here because Kupp is decoying his spot open.

Everything about this play screams classic pass call against prevent defense - to gain easy yards in the middle with Woods and Kupp clearing out the already soft middle.

Goff really screwed this one up, and it's a problem. It defies basic understanding of simple defensive schemes. If we are still struggling at this level, it's clear why he is really struggling against more complex schemes.

Really doesn't matter if Goff's arm was hit on the play or not, there were at least 4 players around Woods.

Wait. Because I don't agree with YOU, I am "missing the point of being a QB"? Get over yourself.

You are entitled to an opinion but I caution you to not use statements that essentially tell other members they don't know football.

I watched the play several times. From the angle, it is clear that Goff doesn't see Lee. It's clear he has a broken down pocket. He goes for a throw we've all seen him make before. It's also clear TO ME that Higbee is not going to be free or gain more than a few yards. What your picture doesn't show is Lee who would have tackled Higbee immediately. It is also clear TO ME that Goff has little time to make multiple reads in that situation and the coaches likely called a hot read rather than have Goff sacked. It's clear TO ME that Gurley is six yards behind the LOS, is not in to pick up the blitz, and would likely be stopped for maybe a 5-10 yard gain. He may be able to get out of bounds. But then again, I have no way of knowing what the coaches told Goff in pre-snap convo and neither do you.

Goff is 25 and is making mistakes behind a piss poor O-line. He often has potentially adequate time to throw but rarely has both that and a decent running game. And heaven forbid if the defense blitzes when they know we have to pass.

This has certainly not been a great season for our young QB but it hasn't been exactly a stellar year for any player on offense besides maybe Kupp and Woods. Our defense has also put our offense in some pretty unenviable positions.

Your premise is that we should be alarmed by that INT. Well, I'm not. I'm alarmed by our lack of offensive production - especially in the first half when you can set up to dictate the trend of the game. I'm alarmed by the fickle nature of our defense. I'm well aware of the mistakes Goff has made but I'm also aware that he is going to take chances amid all of this in order to strike and that is probably an extension of McVay.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Sure would be nice to have a run game. That can do wonders for a young, talented quarterback. I can think of 3 quarterbacks that can get away with being one dimensional. And they will all be first ballot Hall of Famers. Heck, Russell Wilson is having an MVP type year. But what would he be without the 3rd ranking rushing offense? Lamar Jackson is another and his team runs the ball very well. A good run game opens up a lot of things for the passing game. We do not have that good run game.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
That's the primary issue though. What is Goff going to do when he's NOT protected and feeling confident in the OL? He has to get faster at making decisions, both pre- and post-snap.
If he's not protected then I believe we will continue to see the Jared we've been seeing when hes under pressure. I think he will get better with time though.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Funny thing about that play is that Goff pushed the ball downfield. When Bradford was here, he would have thrown the checkdown to the running back and would have been bashed for not pushing the ball downfield.

Would love to see the Venn diagram between those who were on Bradford's ass for the checkdowns and those who are on Goff's ass now for having the testicles to push the ball downfield. I'm betting there is a LOT of overlap.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Wait. Because I don't agree with YOU, I am "missing the point of being a QB"? Get over yourself.

You are entitled to an opinion but I caution you to not use statements that essentially tell other members they don't know football.

I watched the play several times. From the angle, it is clear that Goff doesn't see Lee. It's clear he has a broken down pocket. He goes for a throw we've all seen him make before. It's also clear TO ME that Higbee is not going to be free or gain more than a few yards. What your picture doesn't show is Lee who would have tackled Higbee immediately. It is also clear TO ME that Goff has little time to make multiple reads in that situation and the coaches likely called a hot read rather than have Goff sacked. It's clear TO ME that Gurley is six yards behind the LOS, is not in to pick up the blitz, and would likely be stopped for maybe a 5-10 yard gain. He may be able to get out of bounds. But then again, I have no way of knowing what the coaches told Goff in pre-snap convo and neither do you.

Goff is 25 and is making mistakes behind a piss poor O-line. He often has potentially adequate time to throw but rarely has both that and a decent running game. And heaven forbid if the defense blitzes when they know we have to pass.

This has certainly not been a great season for our young QB but it hasn't been exactly a stellar year for any player on offense besides maybe Kupp and Woods. Our defense has also put our offense in some pretty unenviable positions.

Your premise is that we should be alarmed by that INT. Well, I'm not. I'm alarmed by our lack of offensive production - especially in the first half when you can set up to dictate the trend of the game. I'm alarmed by the fickle nature of our defense. I'm well aware of the mistakes Goff has made but I'm also aware that he is going to take chances amid all of this in order to strike and that is probably an extension of McVay.

*I gave you a "like" for this response, although it probably deserved a "thread winner". I had already given you your allotted "thread winner" for a previous response in this thread. Another one would have just been sacharine and ass-kissing that makes me feel uncomfortable.

It would have been like giving another guy not related to you a frontal hug. And that's just not right. Anyway...good job man.

tenor.gif

Stump23

Rookie
What you're saying is ridiculous for someone not in the game. There are many factors. They might have disguised looks or showed that look before then switched out.

I realize HOFers like Brett Favre never threw INTs... Brady never gets fooled... It's all on Goff not getting it at 25 years old.

Lee absolutely is relevant. He is a long time pro and knew the blitz scheme. Are you serious? Give me a break.
Agreed! But from my perspective, I just can't fathom why we changed our offensive game plan this week to completely abandon any notion of a run game. Clearly that has been the only consistent component to a great passing day for Goff. I love McVay, but man it seems like he may have overthought this one to think he can go pass, pass, pass right off the bat. Made the running plays even that much more predictable when we start off this way. Just another viewpoint from this fan. Easy to pick things apart afterward from the peanut gallery. Also, being a homer, I have a feeling that the Niners may be looking past us this week in anticipation of next week's game in Seattle. Let's kick their ass and give Jimmy G something to remember us with.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Also, being a homer, I have a feeling that the Niners may be looking past us this week in anticipation of next week's game in Seattle. Let's kick their ass and give Jimmy G something to remember us with.

I doubt it. They need to finish one up on Seadderal otherwise they go in as the wildcard, and lose the covetted first-round bye. If they lose Saturday to the Rams, the Sh1thawks can clinch the division with a win Sunday. Then they can rest guys next week, and mock the Whiners. Oh, it would be so delicious, at this point.

We will get their best, such as it is wiith all their injuries. We better be on our A game and take it to these chumps.

Ram65

Legend

It's always good to look at video when you can. I was ready to disagree with you but, upon further review, I will agree on a lot of what you stated. The play starts at the 4:25 mark on the highlights here.

Believe it or not there was no blitz. They were only rushing four and Goff could not get a clean pocket. Lee reads Goff all the way dropping back off of Higbee to make a good play. It looks like the DB may have been able to knock the ball away or possibly make an INT. If he doesn't and Woods makes the catch he has a nice gainer with one DB to beat. It was a tight window that may not have been the best choice being down 14-7 deep on the Rams side of the field.

Higbee could have gotten 8-10 yards and was open. BROWN and Cooks could have had positive yards as well. With a head of steam Brown might have gotten 10-15 yards. I don't know where to put most of the blame on. The offensive line protection was poor. Goff looking down Woods throwing into too tight of a window. It looks like if Goff wants to hit Woods he has to decide early for the timing to work. That tips off Lee. Maybe, it should have been a check down to Brown or Higbee or the shorter route to Cooks that McVay tells Goff to do before they start the drive. The one thing the Rams can't do is turn the ball over trailing only 14-7 at that point in the game. It's easy to say now but, I would have liked the Rams to get some yards and get into a rhythm first before taking a riskier shot even if they have made the riskier plays in the past.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5bOyeuTR78