Goff INT against Cowboys - concerning?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsInfiniti

Rookie
Whew - taking me a second to digest this play. Let me preface by saying I still have faith in Goff, although it is waning just a bit.

Either Goff is 100% predetermining his read before the play here, or he simply does not have a good grasp of his offensive options against the defensive set.

There is some pressure coming from the left edge but Whitworth is flushing his man in front of Goff, who could have taken a quick step to the left.

He's locked on Woods from the snap, and there is NO chance for this pass that was ultimately intercepted by Lee. If Lee had not intercepted it, it would have been picked by the safety.

Note that Higbee is open underneath, Cooks is open breaking outside, and Gurley is wide open in the flat. The route concepts of this play should have made this evident to Goff presnap - with Woods and Kupp driving deep, the entire middle of the field could be wide open and the flat to Gurley is guaranteed to be there.

How Goff doesn't recognize this with the immediate LB blitz and go straight to Higbee is 100% mind boggling to me. Had the LB not blitzed, Gurley is an immediate primary option in the flat for a big gain.

Instead, he chose the absolute worst option on the play.

1576701674090.png
y

Attachments

• 1576701674647.png
    1576701674647.png
    332.7 KB · Views: 88

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
That's the play where Goff hit his hand on Whits helmet and he was never the same after.

But I agree, the pass should have gone to Gurley for long yardage.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

these are the throws that frustrate you as a fan. plenty of open receivers and he goes to the worst option. it's happened a lot in the last year.

i wish we can find out what he's thinking in these situations. why not take the dump off? higbee should be right in his line of sight.

remember when that video came out against the bears last season and we saw all those open players underneath when he was throwing interceptions or incompletions? we thought he would start just dinking and dunking if that's what the d was giving him. well a year later and still the same problem exists. you'd think mcvay would keep harping to him to take what's there. sure there's less than 2 mins in the half and they want to get downfield but that int killed the game.

KJD_Ram

Rookie
the common theme in almost all of Goff's picks is that someone is wide open underneath...he's bound and determined, pre-snap, he's picking the deepest option...as soon as he shakes this urge his game will go to the next level....

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's the play where Goff hit his hand on Whits helmet and he was never the same after.

But I agree, the pass should have gone to Gurley for long yardage.

goff was off from the very first play. we've all seen qbs have bad days but in the last year these type of games from him seem to be the new normal.

mcvay needs to whip him up into shape. find out what's going on in his head. we've seen goff make every throw in the book with extreme accuracy. to watch games like this, what's going on?

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
I'm honestly starting to think it's coaching. Goff not taking the easy yardage is nothing new under mcvay and he's done that since 2017. I find it hard to believe he keeps making the same mistake over and over again unless being instructed to do so.

RamsInfiniti

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm honestly starting to think it's coaching. Goff not taking the easy yardage is nothing new under mcvay and he's done that since 2017. I find it hard to believe he keeps making the same mistake over and over again unless being instructed to do so.

Agree on this, I have been constantly harping on McVay about it also.

Look, Drew Brees doesn't have a 75% completion rate throwing intermediate all game long. Brees will kill you underneath all day. Brady does the same.

Goff should be doing the same. It's hard to tell if it's him or McVay, or both.

Higbee would have turned that 6 yard pass into a 10 yard gain. Gurley probably turns that swing pass into 10-15 yards, maybe even more because the DB's are frozen on the WR's. I like Gurley 1-on-1 against a DB every time.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
goff was off from the very first play. we've all seen qbs have bad days but in the last year these type of games from him seem to be the new normal.

mcvay needs to whip him up into shape. find out what's going on in his head. we've seen goff make every throw in the book with extreme accuracy. to watch games like this, what's going on?

I personally think it's the oline. We've seen this Goff before in his rookie season under a bad oline, and the line is literally the only thing that has changed. It went from first to almost worst in a season. So....using occams razor...

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Agree on this, I have been constantly harping on McVay about it also.

Look, Drew Brees doesn't have a 75% completion rate throwing intermediate all game long. Brees will kill you underneath all day. Brady does the same.

Goff should be doing the same. It's hard to tell if it's him or McVay, or both.

Higbee would have turned that 6 yard pass into a 10 yard gain. Gurley probably turns that swing pass into 10-15 yards, maybe even more because the DB's are frozen on the WR's. I like Gurley 1-on-1 against a DB every time.
Agreed.
Mcvay does always say goff is a extension of the coaching staff so that leads me to believe is goff and mcvay more so mcvay. I think both are very greedy and it shows.

tempests

Hall of Fame
I don't know, I just thought he was forcing it. 90 seconds left in the half and we needed points. He just wasn't patient enough.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I personally think it's the oline. We've seen this Goff before in his rookie season under a bad oline, and the line is literally the only thing that has changed. It went from first to almost worst in a season. So....using occams razor...
We can't put that throw on the oline. The underneath routes were open before Woods would have been open. So telling me the oline isn't giving him time is just not true on this particular play.

Hes obviously not seeing thr field and I dont think it has anything to do w mcvay either. That's all on the QB and his bad read. Hes predetermaning his throw and defenses are keying in on that. It's not rocket science film shows it all. Nexxxxxt

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
We can't put that throw on the oline. The underneath routes were open before Woods would have been open. So telling me the oline isn't giving him time is just not true on this particular play.

Hes obviously not seeing thr field and I dont think it has anything to do w mcvay either. That's all on the QB and his bad read. Hes predetermaning his throw and defenses are keying in on that. It's not rocket science film shows it all. Nexxxxxt
The line has been decent at least 4 games out of 12, the rest have been horribly bad. It is possible that the fact he has had to play rushed bc he does not trust his line is a real possibility. I'm also sure Goff is aware that he is a fumble machine when he gets sacked. All this combined can effect the psyche of a person and their decision making. Not saying I'm correct, but saying film tells it all is surface analytics at best.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
Honestly, I think it's more on Goff. I mean, McVay is calling these plays, and there's wide open guys. Goff is the one who needs to execute at that point.

TexasRam

Legend
Newsflash - Goff will make mistakes.

Did anyone watch Wilson vs the Rams?

Constantly missed a wide open Metcalf underneath and actually, hold your breath...... Threw an interception.

Guess what happens when you have Zero run game?

Linebackers cheat back and safety’s also roam more freely away from the LOS.

Football 101 folks.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
Mc Vay is simplifying the process for Goff with his 11 personnel. So it's more like one read and throw. With Mc Vay being greedy and going for the big play, Goff is conditioned to look at one WR and throw deep.

With the Rams tendencies to go for big plays downfield, teams scheming with their 6-1 defense and Goff is not taught to go for the short intermediate throws or go with the RPO, then the OL is going to be stressed and overwhelmed to hold their blocks. The result is Goff is going to get sacked.

All this is on Mc Vay because he refuses to adapt, innovate and try new scheme. If the upcoming 49'er game results in Goff being sacked three or four times, then all loses point to McVay for not coaching up his QB or scheme the offensive plays differently.