Goff INT against Cowboys - concerning?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsInfiniti

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Newsflash - Goff will make mistakes.

Did anyone watch Wilson vs the Rams?

Constantly missed a wide open Metcalf underneath and actually, hold your breath...... Threw an interception.

Guess what happens when you have Zero run game?

Linebackers cheat back and safety’s also roam more freely away from the LOS.

Football 101 folks.

Mistakes? Yes, but these are not "mistakes", these are trends. There are so many examples of this every single week.

And you made the point for the entire basis of the OP. Linebackers do cheat back, that is why Higbee is standing wide open in the middle of the field.

There is zero chance he could have made that throw to Woods - as mentioned, it literally would have been intercepted by the safety if Lee didn't get it.

He should have been able to diagnose that play before the ball was ever snapped, and know that Woods was NOT an option, period.

RamsInfiniti

Rookie
Boy, after reading thru this thread, I had no idea playing QB was so easy!

No one said playing QB was easy. But come on ....

Look at the base alignment on the play. Simple 4-3 alignment. CB's playing way off coverage. Safeties deep. LB'ers are 7-10 yards deep.

At the snap, the entire back 7 drops into shell coverage - basic high school level prevent defense. Goff takes a 5 step drop, and when he plants his feed, he is not under duress. Woods is surrounded by 4 guys.

EVERYTHING under and out is open. He chooses Woods, easy interception.

I'm sorry, but if Goff cannot diagnose this pre-snap - we have serious issues. This is his job, literally all he does.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Lee baited him by hiding in the blind spot. If you watched the tape from the angle they showed. Higbee was also running into the LBs so with no time to throw via the blitz, it sometimes happens.

Could/should Goff have made the pre-snap read? Easy to say from a couch. Could he have hit another receiver with the blitz coming in? Easy to say from a couch.

Fact is that no aspect of the game went our way. We had zero running game and were forced into playing a one dimensional game on offense.

Goff threw the pick and he shouldn't have. But the bottom line is that we all know Goff can make the throws. For whatever reason, he's not this season and I'm sorry but it's not a simple "Goff has lost it" answer.

The Oline is terrible, and our D is a coin toss from game to game. It is what it is for now.

As a Rams fan, having a winning season at this point is not something I'm going to bitch about. Do I want to win it all and every game? More than anyone I know. But we need to keep the faith in our entire organization and that includes Goff AND McVay.

Ellard80

Legend
I still have hope in Goff... he is very young.

But he has struggled this year

Look at the base alignment on the play. Simple 4-3 alignment. CB's playing way off coverage. Safeties deep. LB'ers are 7-10 yards deep.

At the snap, the entire back 7 drops into shell coverage - basic high school level prevent defense. Goff takes a 5 step drop, and when he plants his feed, he is not under duress. Woods is surrounded by 4 guys.

I'm sorry, but if Goff cannot diagnose this pre-snap - we have serious issues. This is his job, literally all he does.

Goff has always struggled somewhat with seeing the field consistently... this year it has been worse, and then when the line was struggling so bad in pass pro that didn't help things.

But he is young and talented and has shown excellent production before and at times this year. His growth or lack there of will do a lot to determine the teams future.

It's pretty much ride or die with him.

RamsInfiniti

Rookie
Lee baited him by hiding in the blind spot. If you watched the tape from the angle they showed. Higbee was also running into the LBs so with no time to throw via the blitz, it sometimes happens.

Could/should Goff have made the pre-snap read? Easy to say from a couch. Could he have hit another receiver with the blitz coming in? Easy to say from a couch.

Fact is that no aspect of the game went our way. We had zero running game and were forced into playing a one dimensional game on offense.

Goff threw the pick and he shouldn't have. But the bottom line is that we all know Goff can make the throws. For whatever reason, he's not this season and I'm sorry but it's not a simple "Goff has lost it" answer.

The Oline is terrible, and our D is a coin toss from game to game. It is what it is for now.

As a Rams fan, having a winning season at this point is not something I'm going to bitch about. Do I want to win it all and every game? More than anyone I know. But we need to keep the faith in our entire organization and that includes Goff AND McVay.

What about that defensive alignment is difficult for a 4th year pro QB to read? It is prevent shell coverage. No tricks, no deception. Exactly what one would expect backed up deep on their side of the field with 90 seconds left in the half.

Lee is irrelevant in this play, never should have been a factor. That throw should have been out to Higbee in less than 2 seconds.

No one ever doubted Goff's ability to make the throws.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
Goff's got the talent.
He's had a disappointing year, but so has the team as a whole.
Plenty to work on in the next 8 months...if we dont make the playoffs.

RamWoodie

Legend
The only thing that concerns me about Goff is reading and reacting to the blitz. That's where he needs to do his homework. I have no clue about how much time Goff spends reviewing film on the opposing defenses...but it needs to be more.

Also, I still have the question on how much liberty Goff has to audible at the LOS. I have the feeling that McVay has him in a box in that area. If that's true...it's McVay that's hindering Goff's growth as a QB.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His long throws on 3rd and medium that he has zero chance of completing is what bothers me .
It's like what the hell was he looking at . He looked completely different than last week , and you can't blame the Oline . Very concerning IMO

oldnotdead

Legend
He reminds me in some ways of Rivers. When Philip has confidence in his o-line this guy is HOF. But after he's been battered he struggles. This is the key for pocket QB's. You need strong consistent play from the o-line. When Goff isn't worried about his protection he's fine.

BTW future HOF Brees was just like Goff when he played in San Diego with a poor o-line in front of him. His play got so bad he was even benched. This is why when he got hurt the Chargers hedged their bets and drafted Rivers.

Brees goes to a team that gives him a pretty good o-line and the rest is history. Moral of the story is put a good o-line in front of Goff and that will allow him to get into his comfort level and his play will elevate accordingly. It's not just Brees, Rivers and Goff but any pocket QB. Teams that have running QB's need them because they have mediocre o-lines.

IMO next year DC's will have caught up to understanding how to play a running QB. They are normally a year or so behind. With the running QB now being in vogue I would expect a big change in defensive schemes to play them.

Also there is no question his thumb really affected his throwing.

RamsInfiniti

Rookie
I just hope Goff and McVay get this all figured out, and quick! I am worried that Stan may get impatient once we are in the new stadium. I really hope he doesn't do something stupid.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
What about that defensive alignment is difficult for a 4th year pro QB to read? It is prevent shell coverage. No tricks, no deception. Exactly what one would expect backed up deep on their side of the field with 90 seconds left in the half.

Lee is irrelevant in this play, never should have been a factor. That throw should have been out to Higbee in less than 2 seconds.

No one ever doubted Goff's ability to make the throws.
What you're saying is ridiculous for someone not in the game. There are many factors. They might have disguised looks or showed that look before then switched out.

I realize HOFers like Brett Favre never threw INTs... Brady never gets fooled... It's all on Goff not getting it at 25 years old.

Lee absolutely is relevant. He is a long time pro and knew the blitz scheme. Are you serious? Give me a break.

Ram77

Rookie
I wish we can get a seasoned backup QB next year. Fitzpatrick, Dalton, Keenum heck even Rivers if he were willing. Somebody that he can lean on. Bortles may have rubbed off on our QB. Goff is still young. He is a first or second read QB right now (would be fine except they are the wrong reads most of the time). Most great QBs get up to the line and diagnose the defense by alignment and decide where the soft spots are. Goff cant do that consistently which is a huge problem for a pocket QB. A seasoned vet with previous success can help him out. I really thought this year would be a breakthrough year but he has regressed. I know the Oline and Gurley has suffered but he hasnt helped. No more country club offseason atmosphere. McVay has to work this offense to the bone in camp. Reps, playbook, continuity in the Oline, running game, creativity, play calling. Play the starters way more.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I'm honestly starting to think it's coaching. Goff not taking the easy yardage is nothing new under mcvay and he's done that since 2017.
Just a reminder... with Bradford, we Rams fans were constantly complaining that he was playing it too safe and going for the easy dump off. The Rams were almost always near the bottom of the rankings, and our O was boring and predictable.

My point being: yes, I’m glad that Goff has been consistently coached up to look intermediate or long.

But yes, although I’m a Goff fan, im puzzled how he often seems to fail to recognize when the easy dump off is wide open. (And I acknowledge i say this while reclining comfortably on my couch, as opposed to when three 300 lb monsters are trying to kill me.)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
We can't put that throw on the oline. The underneath routes were open before Woods would have been open. So telling me the oline isn't giving him time is just not true on this particular play.

Hes obviously not seeing thr field and I dont think it has anything to do w mcvay either. That's all on the QB and his bad read. Hes predetermaning his throw and defenses are keying in on that. It's not rocket science film shows it all. Nexxxxxt

I think he starts doing this in games that the line isn't giving him time. It's his way of getting the ball out before he gets crushed. If he scans the field it takes longer. I don't know if it can be fixed. I wanted them to pick Goff over Wentz mainly because of how good he was with a terrible Olinemen in college. I guess the faster athletes in the NFL are taking that part of his game away.

Another thing I've noticed is that Goff does not recover well from a slow start. He was not accurate to open the game. When that happens they have a bad game. I get that sinking feeling anytime I see him start that way.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think he starts doing this in games that the line isn't giving him time. It's his way of getting the ball out before he gets crushed. If he scans the field it takes longer.
B I N G O and bingo was his name-o.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

If his arm isn't hit, its a different throw.
Goff struggled and makes some poor decisions (he is just 25 after all) but I give him a pass on that throw
How come nobody wants to talk about his TD pass that was thrown thru a window the size of a thimble?

Tano

Legend
If his arm isn't hit, its a different throw.
Goff struggled and makes some poor decisions (he is just 25 after all) but I give him a pass on that throw
How come nobody wants to talk about his TD pass that was thrown thru a window the size of a thimble?
That's the thing. He can make some incredible throws and then he does some throws that leave me shaking my head and asking "What the hell were you seeing Goff"

I just wish he was a tad more consistent. I am hoping with more experience that consistency will come. Because Damn - when he is on - wow!!

RamsInfiniti

Rookie
What you're saying is ridiculous for someone not in the game. There are many factors. They might have disguised looks or showed that look before then switched out.

I realize HOFers like Brett Favre never threw INTs... Brady never gets fooled... It's all on Goff not getting it at 25 years old.

Lee absolutely is relevant. He is a long time pro and knew the blitz scheme. Are you serious? Give me a break.

You are missing the point of being a QB. They aren't supposed to GUESS about what is going to happen, they are supposed to KNOW what COULD happen in the variety of scenarios and make a decision on that. Goff was going to Woods before the ball was snapped, 100%.

There was no disguise, Cowboys are in classic prevent shell defense, basic 4-3 alignment with LB'ers deep. There was no blitz on the play. This is what almost every team does in this situation.

If LB'ers drop on the snap - the underneath middle is open - Woods is NOT an option in this case. If there is a LB blitz, Gurley is the option in the flat. Cooks is always an option here because Kupp is decoying his spot open.

Everything about this play screams classic pass call against prevent defense - to gain easy yards in the middle with Woods and Kupp clearing out the already soft middle.

Goff really screwed this one up, and it's a problem. It defies basic understanding of simple defensive schemes. If we are still struggling at this level, it's clear why he is really struggling against more complex schemes.

Really doesn't matter if Goff's arm was hit on the play or not, there were at least 4 players around Woods.

Tano

Legend
You are missing the point of being a QB. They aren't supposed to GUESS about what is going to happen, they are supposed to KNOW what COULD happen in the variety of scenarios and make a decision on that. Goff was going to Woods before the ball was snapped, 100%.

Cowboys are in classic prevent shell defense, basic 4-3 alignment with LB'ers deep. There was no blitz on the play.

If LB'ers drop on the snap - the underneath middle is open - Woods is NOT an option in this case. If there is a LB blitz, Gurley is the option in the flat. Cooks is always an option here because Kupp is decoying his spot open.

Everything about this play screams classic pass call against prevent defense - to gain easy yards in the middle with Woods and Kupp clearing out the already soft middle.

Goff really screwed this one up, and it's a problem. It defies basic understanding of simple defensive schemes. If we are still struggling at this level, it's clear why he is really struggling against more complex schemes.

Really doesn't matter if Goff's arm was hit on the play or not, there were at least 4 players around Woods.
I have noticed that when the Rams are behind right before the half that when they have the ball under two minutes that Goff makes some stupid throws.

I am wondering if he gets a little desperate during these moments and doesn't calm himself down until later in the game when he starts making some really good throws. I have seen some great throws in the fourth quarter when he tries to make a comeback.

The superbowl was one of them.

He should have had two touchdowns in that game in the fourth quarter. And there have been other games where if the receiver catches the ball in the end zone or interference calls are made in the end zone at the end of the game, Goff would have led some impressive comebacks.

I just wish he would fix his issues earlier in these games and not in the fourth quarter.