Goff a 4 yr, $134 million ext. includes record $110 mil. guaranteed

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tempests

Hall of Fame
You watched those two clowns talking to each other? Man, that would have sucked.

Wanted to see if either of them had even a little bit of humility after this. Short answer, no.

They put up another video in which Simms did nothing but deride Goff further. He pretty much called Goff a stupid QB.

When Simms was playing I never saw him do anything but throw the ball to the other team. These two are nothing but mental midgets.

oldnotdead

Legend
From what I'm hearing Goff's extension is just that an extension of 4 years tacked onto his existing rookie contract. Now it makes sense. Goff will earn his $8.8M and $22M this year and next. Then the new extension starts in 2021 through 2024. This way there is no cap changes this year or next. The team gets the full benefit of his 5 year rookie contract and has the security of an additional 4 years beyond it.

Now that makes complete sense and is no different than if they did it next year. I was wondering where they could get the cap space this year but it doesn't start until 2021. Kudos Les, excellent move. No contract distractions with Goff for 6 years, I love it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From what I'm hearing Goff's extension is just that an extension of 4 years tacked onto his existing rookie contract. Now it makes sense. Goff will earn his $8.8M and $22M this year and next. Then the new extension starts in 2021 through 2024. This way there is no cap changes this year or next. The team gets the full benefit of his 5 year rookie contract and has the security of an additional 4 years beyond it.

Now that makes complete sense and is no different than if they did it next year. I was wondering where they could get the cap space this year but it doesn't start until 2021. Kudos Les, excellent move. No contract distractions with Goff for 6 years, I love it.
Did the light suddenly go on from what everybody has been saying to you about this for months?

:D

oldnotdead

Legend
No because normally it isn't that way and there was no announcement to that effect. It was simply announced as a 4 year deal though in affect it's a 6 year deal. They just did this with Higbee with his contract starting next year which would be more normal. Higbee is in a contract year so they extended him rolling his current salary into the new contract. Which is the way it is normally done.

But it was about what I posted I thought it would be, i.e. $32-$33M / yr which is on the high-end of his market value not the close to $40M some were talking about. Guaranteed money was the factor that got Goff's contract done. Also, look at the reports coming out of Dallas about how Zeke's contract is going to restrict moves Dallas can make especially after Dak's is done. The point I was making is that Cap considerations always factor in.

Also, what this is saying with Higbee's contract is that they already have a list of guys they won't be extending next year. Some starters won't be here next year and some of those decisions have already been made. IMO Peter's is on the cusp of that list depending upon, who is available in FA, how well he plays this year and how much he wants.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

What the Rams are doing is pretty innovative.

Rather than play the game of contract chicken, they are extending guys early with guarantees. They can feel good that they are getting their money, but they're still essentially playing out their rookie contracts.

This level of cap management is extraordinary and will make a massive difference going forward...

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy

They did this with Gurley too.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I know the media pundits tend to overlook Goff because they saw his turnaround with McVay and thus credit the new coach with all of his success. What has really impressed me about Goff is that he has played so well at a young age while practically living in the pocket. I feel like a lot QBs who play well early on have the ability to extend plays with their legs. Throwing against NFL defenses is incredibly difficult, so I imagine allowing yourself more time to complete passes while also threatening defenses to run for first downs must help out a lot while adjusting to the NFL. The downside to this as we have seen over and over again is the greater risk of injury that comes with playing like this. Goff's skill set and style of play give him a great opportunity to play at a high level for a very long time.
Agreed. Running QBs start fast and get all the hype. But pocket QBs last. Hit on a pocket QB in the draft and you are good for a decade or more.

Also one other reason running threat QBs start out faster is the contain requirements slow the rush.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
No because normally it isn't that way and there was no announcement to that effect. It was simply announced as a 4 year deal though in affect it's a 6 year deal. They just did this with Higbee with his contract starting next year which would be more normal. Higbee is in a contract year so they extended him rolling his current salary into the new contract. Which is the way it is normally done.

But it was about what I posted I thought it would be, i.e. $32-$33M / yr which is on the high-end of his market value not the close to $40M some were talking about. Guaranteed money was the factor that got Goff's contract done. Also, look at the reports coming out of Dallas about how Zeke's contract is going to restrict moves Dallas can make especially after Dak's is done. The point I was making is that Cap considerations always factor in.

Also, what this is saying with Higbee's contract is that they already have a list of guys they won't be extending next year. Some starters won't be here next year and some of those decisions have already been made. IMO Peter's is on the cusp of that list depending upon, who is available in FA, how well he plays this year and how much he wants.

Were you ever a politician ?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Can someone explain how if a player gets a big signing bonus when he signs the extension, how it doesn't affect his cap number of the original contract.

I thought the signing bonus was divided over the term of the contract from the time of paying it. Or does it kick in when his extension starts?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Can someone explain how if a player gets a big signing bonus when he signs the extension, how it doesn't affect his cap number of the original contract.

I thought the signing bonus was divided over the term of the contract from the time of paying it. Or does it kick in when his extension starts?

It kicks in when the extension starts. An extension is just an add on which begins following the immediate ending of the original contract, it's not a renegotiation of the original. No 2019 CAP change for either Goff or Higbee by all current reports.

Littleton, if they come to an agreement, is likely to have an extension similar to that of Higbee. Not necessarily the money amount, but the way it's drawn up.
Peters is more likely to have a renegotiation only because if they can come to terms on a long-term contract, it could actually lower his 2019 CAP hit, but it could also just be another extension like the others. jmo.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Interesting to see if the media shifts him closer toward franchise status with Luck retiring and this contract?

Out with the old, in with the new,.. so to speak.

If he has a year like last year there won't be a choice for them but to do that.

I think this is a steal. The fact that a young QB (who just took his team to the Super Bowl) didn’t set the market means we got a steal, end of story.

Well sort of set the market it's the largest guaranteed money. So there is that.

The key to the deal is not the yearly salary, it's that Stan is able and willing to put $110m in guaranteed money on the table.

Credit for this goes to Demoff. He has full contract authority and Kroenke lets him do what he wants. I'd bet he didn't even call Kroenke until after it was done and it was probably a text saying "Goff is handled". Kroenke trusts Demoff so much he let him lead the move, he let him pitch the owners on it.

While it's of course true that Demoff "answers to" Kroenke he doesn't need permission. Kroenke knows he can trust Demoff to get it done correctly.

Kevin Demoff deserves a raise! I'm sure he is well paid, but come on, the guy is a contract wizard.

IMO he is as good as anyone else doing it. Between managing the cap and structuring smart deals he's a pro's pro.

I know the media pundits tend to overlook Goff because they saw his turnaround with McVay and thus credit the new coach with all of his success.

And of course the pundits point to McVay but are missing something really important.

Look at the weapons and talent that was added. Snead had another masterful offseason and that allowed Goff to soar in the system. Without the talent added it may have been a different story.

The roster was upgraded all around.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Details are in at spotrac.com on Jared's extension.

1568159928217.png