Goff a 4 yr, $134 million ext. includes record $110 mil. guaranteed

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
The front office just needs to keep making good picks late in the draft and pick up these UDFA acquisitions. Guys like Hodge, Allen, Webster, Howard won't just be great depth guys for us or luxuries we can stash on the practice squad, with the way our cap is going forward, many of those guys will end up making the team and possibly needing to start.

Not saying this is necessarily a bad thing but we need to keep it up with that scouting!

GBRam15

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
GBRam15
There’s a great article by Vinny in the Athletic about Goff. Points out that part of why McVay picked the Rams was Goff being a QB he rated and knew he could work with, and McVay being supportive of the extension for Goff shows how much he values him. If the media narrative of Goff being JAG in McVay’s system was correct, the Rams would have acquired another cheap one when Goff’s rookie deal was over and spent the extra money on other positions.

It’s behind a paywall but is here if you can read it (they do a few free articles per month, I think)

I still remember how complimentary McVay was towards Goff during the "All or Nothing" program on Amazon Prime. McVay went up to Goff after his introductory press conference and gave him praise. From what I remember, he referenced the New Orleans game and also said, "that was some rare sh*t" at some point during his conversation. I don't think I ever saw Goff look happier in my life.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Again with the Foolio crap. These guys act as if it was a widely held notion.

haha, i love it.

"there was some chatter". it was him, the bozo. i love how he makes up stuff just to fill his website then a few months later he says "there was some chatter". fucking clown.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
haha, i love it.

"there was some chatter". it was him, the bozo. i love how he makes up stuff just to fill his website then a few months later he says "there was some chatter". Freaking clown.

Right? The douche repeats it a few times, then others quote him, and suddenly the tripe is somehow substantiated. Clown is right.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Glad we got this done ahead of Dak / Mahomes, and also the new CBA coming in two years. Been hearing today the Rams could look like geniuses because there's a lot of speculation the QB's cap number will be separate from the rest of the team in the new CBA. With the 2 existing years on his contract it averages to what, $27M per year? Very reasonable for our franchise QB.

Also one thing that doesn't get mentioned enough is Goff's age. He is 24 while Dak and Wentz are both 26, and two years is a considerable age difference. How good will Goff be when he's 26? Beyond that I loved hearing Jared's mentality on failure in that recent podcast he did. He spoke about an acronym called P.A.C.E. - Performance After Critical Error, and said this is what he prides himself on more than anything else. After the interception in the first quarter in the NFC championship (which was Gurley's fault anyway) he said it didn't affect him at all and he was focused on responding afterwards. That mentality is very special for any athlete, but especially for a QB. So I'm interested to see the season he has following the SB blunder. He definitely needs to improve at reading defenses and making more consistent throws under pressure. But there's no reason to think he wont improve because that's all he's ever done his whole football life. Glad to have him and McVay locked up for the foreseeable future!!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
there's a lot of speculation the QB's cap number will be separate from the rest of the team in the new CBA.

how is that gonna work? the players agree to a percentage of the earnings in the cba which turns into the salary cap amount. owners aren't gonna pay qbs out of their own pockets.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
how is that gonna work? the players agree to a percentage of the earnings in the cba which turns into the salary cap amount. owners aren't gonna pay qbs out of their own pockets.

Well technically they're already paying out of their own pockets. There was a time when the salary cap didn't exist at all. I wouldn't be surprised to see Stan pony up a few million more than other owners if it meant locking up a QB we really wanted to keep.

Regardless, I don't see it happening.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well technically they're already paying out of their own pockets. There was a time when the salary cap didn't exist at all. I wouldn't be surprised to see Stan pony up a few million more than other owners if it meant locking up a QB we really wanted to keep.

Regardless, I don't see it happening.

Technically.

I should have said out of their slice of the profits. Maybe only the mega rich ones like you said. This is not a road the owners want to go down. Most of them are only interested in their bottom lines.

MachS

Hall of Fame

Yea I'm not sure if any specifics have been released regarding the cba discussions, but they mentioned that as potential reason to get the Goff deal done. It's interesting though, if that happens it will change every teams approach to navigating the cap.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
PFF has Ranked as a top ten QB. So the contract doesn't look too bad from that angle.

However, Dak is ranked at #20. He will likely want more than Goff. That's not a good look. It will be interesting to see what happens in big D.

tempests

Hall of Fame
View: https://www.nbcsports.com/video/rams-show-big-faith-jared-goff-big-money-extension?ls=pftvod

I wouldn't even bother linking this if it wasn't so darn ridiculous. Florio and Simms are saying they inadvertently played a role in Goff getting his extension. If you don't want to listen to their crap here are the high points...

-they're both visibly distressed at the terms of Goff's deal. He makes as much as Aaron Rodgers, you know, and more than Cam Newton.
-both doubling down on their earlier nonsense. Would rather have Prescott than Goff.
-Florio's sad song is that his word carried weight with the Rams and that they both overreacted to his criticism and caved to public pressure. The Rams didn't want to give Goff this contract, they had to.

You know what I love most in all this? Florio prides himself on his sources and yearns to be recognized as an NFL Insider. What should be obvious to everyone is he isn't dialled into the Rams at all. He has no idea what Sean McVay is thinking and he has no idea what the Rams are doing.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
Waiting to hear all the pundits talk about the Rams not being able to sign people because of the $110 million guaranteed money. :D

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Well, no. He was basically under team control for 3 more years (the 2 years remaining on his contract, and 1 year of franchise taggery). Maybe he develops into a QB that doesn't make such a high price tag look crippling to the team in that time. Or maybe he turns into Luck, has a bad hit, and never reaches his zenith. I guess the thing I'm apprehensive about with regards to these extensions being doled out is they're being handed out well in advance of actually needing to do them, which makes them a gamble. One only need look to Gurley last year for a great example of that. Hopefully he comes back as good as before, but maybe he's never the same, less than 1 season after getting his name on the dotted line.

Like I said, I like him, but he's not an elite quarterback yet - he makes too many boneheaded mistakes at crucial times. Right now, he's basically Stafford in a better system with a better coaching staff.

More importantly, look at the teams who have taken home the Lombardi the last 10 years. The one constant is the QB was never making so much that it crippled the team's ability to sign other players. Brady has been playing below market salary forever because his wife, in her prime, made more in a year than he made in a career. Manning was making half of what Goff will be making. Russell Wilson was on his rookie deal, and the Seachickens "dynasty" fell apart the moment he got paid and they had to sacrifice other positions. Flacco was making 4.5 and the Ravens never recovered from his deal. Eli a bit over 6 and the team fell apart when he got paid. Big Ben was under 10, etc. etc. etc.

Consider me cautious, just because we've got a left tackle playing year-to-year, Kupp is going to demand big money in the near future, we've royally sucked at finding linebackers in the draft, so at some point we'll have to poach one, etc. The teams that allocate 17% of their cap to 1 player just haven't shown results.
I understand and your points are accurate in terms of the rookie contract QB honeymoon situation. Essentially you feel that the he was paid too soon. Again, in that scenario where the Rams string it out another 2 or 3 years they still must decide to either
A) pay him
or
B) let a good QB walk and go find another franchise QB.

If someone can show me examples of where option B is being implemented successfully around the league i'd be interested.

I'd rather not go fishing again for about 10 years.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
View: https://www.nbcsports.com/video/rams-show-big-faith-jared-goff-big-money-extension?ls=pftvod

I wouldn't even bother linking this if it wasn't so darn ridiculous. Florio and Simms are saying they inadvertently played a role in Goff getting his extension. If you don't want to listen to their crap here are the high points...

-they're both visibly distressed at the terms of Goff's deal. He makes as much as Aaron Rodgers, you know, and more than Cam Newton.
-both doubling down on their earlier nonsense. Would rather have Prescott than Goff.
-Florio's sad song is that his word carried weight with the Rams and that they both overreacted to his criticism and caved to public pressure. The Rams didn't want to give Goff this contract, they had to.

You know what I love most in all this? Florio prides himself on his sources and yearns to be recognized as an NFL Insider. What should be obvious to everyone is he isn't dialled into the Rams at all. He has no idea what Sean McVay is thinking and he has no idea what the Rams are doing.

You watched those two clowns talking to each other? Man, that would have sucked.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Waiting to hear all the pundits talk about the Rams not being able to sign people because of the $110 million guaranteed money. :D

Pundits are all idiots. And puppets at the mercy of their producer. Have some self respect you clowns.

Just a quick question.

How did you feel about your team trading a 5th for a kicker and then cutting him a couple of weeks later?

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
Pundits are all idiots. And puppets at the mercy of their producer. Have some self respect you clowns.

Just a quick question.

How did you feel about your team trading a 5th for a kicker and then cutting him a couple of weeks later?

Not happy with it, but it is what it is. What really sucks is he is now on the Jets 53. Let's see if he stays there.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Is Skip on crack? He says that Dak is better than Goff and head-to-head, outplayed him *dramatically* both times they've met. Ok, so why is Dak 0-2 against Goff? Goff was able to lead the Rams back from a deficit to victory in Dallas ... Dak was unable to do so in LA.

This is the kind of stuff that causes a guy to lose credibility. He just can't see past his biases. And yes, I know my bias is towards Goff, but let's be real here - who would most GM's take if they had to pick one of the two?

He surely is referring to that preseason game that dak made his debut basically or at least continued his assention during that preseason. He really blew goff out of the water. Lmfao he such a cowboy clown.
Those were the days where our hopes were pinned on the great Nelson Spruce!!!!!!!