Gil Brandt: Highest DB Burn Rate

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
One thing to remember here too is scheme. Some CBs perform a lot better when they know they have safety support over the top consistently. If you took Richard Sherman and put him in this defense he'd be effin BBQd.

All that aside I think Gaines will improve. Just disappointing that his poor season coincides with Jenks killin it in the more disciplined and conservative Giants' defense.
May not mean much to many here, however of the four Ram CB's that have had considerable time playing this season according to PPF Ratings (a site many here have issues with) list EJ Gaines as the least effective overall Ram corner. Johnson 75.5 , Joyner, Hill 46.1 (who has been shelved) & coming in last of the four is EJ Gaines @ 37.9 overall rating. The best we can hope for here on EJ is he still is suffering issues from the injury & surgery on his foot back in pre season of 2015.

I would think we will get a good look from this point on in this season from our two rookies. Cards castoff Blake Countess & UDFA Mike Jordan. One might try & be positive that one of these two rookies along with the first season UDFA Troy Hill can develop into a number 4 corner in 2017. Rams must go early & heavy in the draft in this unit.

If Trumaine wants out, EJ does not return to 2014 form, Hill can not be savaged, thus leaving only Joyner as the best corner & that's just plain disaster in waiting.

Ram65

Legend
Should have signed both of them. You never know what will happen so it could have been a big risk. Tru has been injured a lot while JJ did have some lapses. The Rams could have found a way now that we see where money is going. As far as JJ, I wondered if he was all in all the time. He looks a little bigger this year and is playing more aggressively. At the time of his signing it looked like it was crazy money but looking at the top CB money players he is worth it.

http://overthecap.com/position/cornerback/
upload_2016-12-2_12-29-42.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-2_12-27-26.png
    upload_2016-12-2_12-27-26.png
    179.6 KB · Views: 116

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The best we can hope for here on EJ is he still is suffering issues from the injury & surgery on his foot back in pre season of 2015.

That is basically what I was alluding to Bonifay. I don't think the guy is totally back to who he was. If you remember, what set him apart was outstanding instincts and competitiveness, to go with "just enough" talent. They needed him this season and he's stayed on the field for them for the most part, but yeah he's not the same guy.

Not sure what we'll get down the stretch here, but I do think he'll be in the mix next year and hopefully better. But I do agree that counting on him is not really possible. Rams will need to address CB this offseason and in the draft most likely.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It's depressing when we develop so many good players that we just can't find a way of keeping them...
I agree. It is the situation in the NFL theses days though it seems. You can't keep everyone. I often defended JJ - probably mostly because he was a Ram - but he seemed to be far less of a team player than most of the others so I wasn't big on paying him top 5 money. I don't blame him for going for the money. But I don't blame our organization for not retaining him in light of everything.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I recall some quotes from Jenkins earlier in the year talking about how he doesn't feel like he has to be the offense in New York - something about, when he was in STL, feeling like he needed to gamble and create points because the offense wasn't doing it.

This appears to be the mature, non-gambling form of Janoris Jenkins.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I recall some quotes from Jenkins earlier in the year talking about how he doesn't feel like he has to be the offense in New York - something about, when he was in STL, feeling like he needed to gamble and create points because the offense wasn't doing it.

This appears to be the mature, non-gambling form of Janoris Jenkins.
Found the quote:

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
I meant, who knows how they are defining it with his ranking....is just completion percentage against?

oh im not sure I read something about 1 yard separation but not sure what they used. as usual its probably a made up stat to prove their agenda.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder what his burn rate was when he was in horns?

He cost us games last year.

In hindsight, he cost us games last year.

Have we all forgotten that?
Have you forgotten all the games he won for us..

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder what his burn rate was when he was in horns?

He cost us games last year.

In hindsight, he cost us games last year.

Have we all forgotten that?
Have you forgotten all the games he won for us..

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
JJ admitted it himself. He said at times he would lose concentration and take plays off or something like that. Those bad plays were often game changing. He needed to focus all the time.

It is interesting that with a more disciplined coach he suddenly is performing like the best corner in football. Fisher and his lax approach is great for reducing injuries in the summer but 'Come on Man!" Start acting like your in charge instead of everyone's buddy!

JJ was still locking guys down last year.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That is basically what I was alluding to Bonifay. I don't think the guy is totally back to who he was. If you remember, what set him apart was outstanding instincts and competitiveness, to go with "just enough" talent. They needed him this season and he's stayed on the field for them for the most part, but yeah he's not the same guy.

Not sure what we'll get down the stretch here, but I do think he'll be in the mix next year and hopefully better. But I do agree that counting on him is not really possible. Rams will need to address CB this offseason and in the draft most likely.
He was never really that good to me anyway guarding teams 3rd and 4th receivers made him better than what he was

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Wasn't Gaines the #2 CB due to other WR injuries many games in 2014?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
JJ was still locking guys down last year.

And making a huge mistake costing a crippling TD against guys like Bolden and Smith every game. He admitted as much. If he put it altogether like he did in NY then there is a better chance the Rams franchise him instead of Tru. He made the decision for the Rams with his mistakes. Too bad.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And making a huge mistake costing a crippling TD against guys like Bolden and Smith every game. He admitted as much. If he put it altogether like he did in NY then there is a better chance the Rams franchise him instead of Tru. He made the decision for the Rams with his mistakes. Too bad.

No, he wasn't. If you mean two or three times all of last year, you'd be closer to accurate. And he didn't make a "mistake" against Boldin. Boldin shoved him to the ground after Jenkins got position on the route.

My guess is that the Rams didn't franchise him because they felt Trumaine would be easier to negotiate with under a franchise tag.

Rams77

Starter
The money the Rams burned on the Foles, Sensabaugh deals and the premature deal to Tavon cost the Rams Jenkins. Your defense is only as good as your weakest link-and the Rams weakest link on D is their secondary. They can't hold coverage long enough for the DLine to get sacks and hurries like last year. An extra second or 2 of making the QB hold the ball is huge. Joyner is atrocious in coverage and that was a horrible gamble by the FO and Coaches to think that the smurf Joyner can be a solid corner. The guy is lost 90% of the time when the ball is in the air and way too short. Gaines had a terrible foot injury and may never regain that extra step he lost. I knew the minute Jenkins signed in New York that he would become an All-Pro or near All-Pro corner. He was really close to it last year. If the Rams had him this year I truly believe we win the games against the Lions, Giants, and Dolphins and possibly Carolina. Could of been 7-4 or 8-3 instead of 4-7. Coulda woulda shoulda.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The money the Rams burned on the Foles, Sensabaugh deals and the premature deal to Tavon cost the Rams Jenkins. Your defense is only as good as your weakest link-and the Rams weakest link on D is their secondary. They can't hold coverage long enough for the DLine to get sacks and hurries like last year. An extra second or 2 of making the QB hold the ball is huge. Joyner is atrocious in coverage and that was a horrible gamble by the FO and Coaches to think that the smurf Joyner can be a solid corner. The guy is lost 90% of the time when the ball is in the air and way too short. Gaines had a terrible foot injury and may never regain that extra step he lost. I knew the minute Jenkins signed in New York that he would become an All-Pro or near All-Pro corner. He was really close to it last year. If the Rams had him this year I truly believe we win the games against the Lions, Giants, and Dolphins and possibly Carolina. Could of been 7-4 or 8-3 instead of 4-7. Coulda woulda shoulda.

The Foles deal might have. The Sensabaugh deal and Tavon contract came after Jenkins left. The Sensabaugh deal was due to Jenkins departing, not the cause of it.

And I'm really tired of seeing all the shit slung at Joyner. He's played well this year despite playing through a broken toe and playing out of position. Yes, he's not good with his back to the football. I agree. That's why the Rams should have moved him to FS. But all things considered, he's been a solid slot CB for us, at worst, this year.

There's plenty of blame to go around. With this defense, they're either lights out or a sieve. So it's hard for me to put the blame on one player.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
knew we should have kept JJ - we've missed his contribution this year

The Rams needed to pay him, instead they sign Tavon Austin long term.
Now they open up another hole instead of adding to it's strength.