Geno Smith sucker punched by teammate out 6-10 weeks with broken jaw/Won't press charges

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
If you sign Ryan Fitzpatrick to fill a role as a QB, he WILL find a way to start games.. Clearly this is all his fault, and the Jets for signing him. How haven't teams caught on to this yet?!
It's the magical beard's magical properties.

f5046a169d1e6eb83de5fe1302af0b9b.jpeg

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
LOL, C'mon PT....what, you been watching some Neilson...some Staman...yeah, you could go throat, vital areas on the sides...but young, strong ass kids....tight fist...guaranteed nothing happened to his knuckles....Bet IK's pride is hurt...just threw his career down the drain...Another thing, why didn't Steve Smith lose his career? Same with Battle on our team? Talent sure covers faults better than a bandaide...
Battle made his mistake in college, where guys are expected to make theirs. Admittedly Smith's was bad, really bad,buy at the very least Lucas was a DB lining up opposite of him on the same level as him.Punching your own starting Quarterback as a UDFA is a whole other ballpark.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CMKDIfZWcAA-lQx.jpg

How is it never your intention to hurt anyone when you load up and drill a dude in the chop?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Was Geno “sucker punched”? It may be a matter of semantics
Posted by Mike Florio on August 11, 2015, 6:39 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptrjn2u1m2nimthimda0otkymgnmzwzlm2qxzte5yza5-e1439332713908.jpeg

We’ll likely never know what specifically happened between Jets quarterback Geno Smith and now-former Jets linebacker IK Emenkpali, absent surveillance video. Even if multiple people witnessed the exchange, multiple people will have different versions of what they saw.

The official version from the Jets is that Smith was “sucker punched.” That claim is now being disputed.

NFL safety turned ESPN analyst Ryan Clark has made this claim on Twitter: “Have confirmed with multiple sources that Geno Smith was not, I repeat was not sucker punched! So let’s stop that narrative.”

It’s not a narrative. It’s the team’s official position, as expressed by the team’s head coach. While plenty of head coaches at every level of the sport take liberties with the truth for strategic reasons, an official position from a team’s head coach isn’t really a narrative to be dismissed like a hot take from Skip Bayless.

Besides, this may simply be a matter of semantics. Some (like Clark) may think a sucker punch is something that occurs out of the blue, with no sign of conflict or trouble. Others (like Bowles) may think that any punch thrown before a clear declaration of “You wanna go!?” with a fighting stance assumed is a sucker punch.

It’s clear, as Bowles acknowledged, that an issue existed between the players. Bowles, and anyone else with an ounce of common sense, believes it should have been resolved without violence.

Sucker punch or not, it’s another M-E-S-S for the J-E-T-S, who can now only hope that Ryan Fitzpatrick or Bryce Petty end up being better than Smith would have been.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Was Geno “sucker punched”? It may be a matter of semantics
Posted by Mike Florio on August 11, 2015, 6:39 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptrjn2u1m2nimthimda0otkymgnmzwzlm2qxzte5yza5-e1439332713908.jpeg

We’ll likely never know what specifically happened between Jets quarterback Geno Smith and now-former Jets linebacker IK Emenkpali, absent surveillance video. Even if multiple people witnessed the exchange, multiple people will have different versions of what they saw.

The official version from the Jets is that Smith was “sucker punched.” That claim is now being disputed.

NFL safety turned ESPN analyst Ryan Clark has made this claim on Twitter: “Have confirmed with multiple sources that Geno Smith was not, I repeat was not sucker punched! So let’s stop that narrative.”

It’s not a narrative. It’s the team’s official position, as expressed by the team’s head coach. While plenty of head coaches at every level of the sport take liberties with the truth for strategic reasons, an official position from a team’s head coach isn’t really a narrative to be dismissed like a hot take from Skip Bayless.

Besides, this may simply be a matter of semantics. Some (like Clark) may think a sucker punch is something that occurs out of the blue, with no sign of conflict or trouble. Others (like Bowles) may think that any punch thrown before a clear declaration of “You wanna go!?” with a fighting stance assumed is a sucker punch.

It’s clear, as Bowles acknowledged, that an issue existed between the players. Bowles, and anyone else with an ounce of common sense, believes it should have been resolved without violence.

Sucker punch or not, it’s another M-E-S-S for the J-E-T-S, who can now only hope that Ryan Fitzpatrick or Bryce Petty end up being better than Smith would have been.
Geno, owed IK money and Revis just said that both players were responsible. It sucks for them.

View: https://twitter.com/theScore/status/631174092377341952

We are making some fun, but if it was us???

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
If I was in a heated argument, and a man put, or touched my face with his finger, and we we were still standing heads facing...I wouldn't call it a sucker punch. Inexcusable behavior by both, but a QB getting in a heated battle with a LB. Don't really understand that. Do your playing, and your mouth running, on the field.

Wouldn't the definition of a sucker punch be; "anytime you're not expecting one?" :confused:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Wouldn't the definition of a sucker punch be; "anytime you're not expecting one?" :confused:
It's probably different to every person on here. I grew up in a tough neighborhood. If someone walked up on me in anger, I'd be expecting anything. If my head was turned, and I was not looking, I'd call that a sucker punch. That happened to me once. Unlucky for the guy that I didn't go down. These two guys had some sort of history, some we know, some we don't. I don't condone what either player did. It should be about respect. They were teammates.

The verbage is what bothers me. If we are being honest, and we flipped the two players, the coach, probably would have called it a fight, and not a sucker punch. Of course, this is just a discussion, and there are things we don't know. Please refer to my last two sentences in my first paragraph. It never would have happened in any locker room that I was involved in. Seems like it was something that could have been prevented.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Honestly, Smith got what he had coming. You wanna go up to a guy and start pointing your finger in his face, you get what you get. Respect your teammates and maybe they won't lay you out. He's supposed to be a leader. Stupid move by the LB, but I probably wouldn't take that crap either. Very disrespectful. If you have a problem, talk about it. Don't get in the guys face and call him out in front of the whole team.

Seriously??? A finger waved in his face merits that kind of over reaction???

Wouldn't a simple shove have been more appropriate than a sucker punch???

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Honestly, Smith got what he had coming. You wanna go up to a guy and start pointing your finger in his face, you get what you get. Respect your teammates and maybe they won't lay you out. He's supposed to be a leader. Stupid move by the LB, but I probably wouldn't take that crap either. Very disrespectful. If you have a problem, talk about it. Don't get in the guys face and call him out in front of the whole team.

I felt the same way about this actually. Kind of sounds like its both their faults - but Geno's acted like a douche if what the story says is true (i.e. he promised to come to the LB's camp, bailed on it and then wouldn't refund him the 600 bucks AND then puts his hand in his face). Someone puts their hand in your face, well, that's a pretty clear provocation to a fight where I'm from.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Seriously??? A finger waved in his face merits that kind of over reaction???

Wouldn't a simple shove have been more appropriate than a sucker punch???

Maybe, he should have been a Lannister :snicker:
images

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Sucker punch is defined as an "unexpected blow"
Unexpected to whom?

So does that mean Smith was just free to mouth off and be somehow oblivious to the possible consequences of not paying back a debt (regardless of the amount) and most likely popping off about it's inconsequence?

I think Smith was probably mouthing off to the point he pushed a man over the edge - it happens. People think they have protection cause of their status in life and let their gums flap but when all is said and done, it's about coming correct, no?
Gino pay the f'ing debt

I just don't see how that happens unprovoked - clearly there are issues of entitlement here

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I always thought a sucker-punch was when someone blindsides you when you're not expecting it or even facing in the direction of the punch.
Doesn't sound like this fits that description.