GDT: Jets at Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Yes, he did. The 3rd and 4 was a HB wheel rub design. That was quite literally play that McVay drew up. Watch Reynolds. He's setting a pick, not running a route. The 4th down play is impossible to know, but something tells me that Goff immediately looking to Everett on a one on one matchup was the design of that play. It looked identical to the play that won us the Chiefs game. Goff isn't the type to go rogue. And it wasn't like the coverage fooled him. It was exactly the matchup the play wanted.

well if thats the case then mcvay fucked up. Down by 3 within FG range and 3rd and 4 YOU DO NOT throw 2 consecutive passes 20 yards down field to the sideline into good coverage...PERIOD. Dont fuck around. Use 2 plays 2 get the 4 yards. If not, kick the FG. Either the play calling or goffs decisions those 2 plays lost that game when they had a very good chance to win it. Doesn't matter what happened before those plays, the game should have been won there.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
well if thats the case then mcvay fucked up. Down by 3 within FG range and 3rd and 4 YOU DO NOT throw 2 consecutive passes 20 yards down field to the sideline into good coverage...PERIOD. Dont fuck around. Use 2 plays 2 get the 4 yards. If not, kick the FG. Either the play calling or goffs decisions those 2 plays lost that game when they had a very good chance to win it. Doesn't matter what happened before those plays, the game should have been won there.

It was a combination of fuck ups. Goff should have come off his primary and went to Kupp as his secondary for the first down on 4th down. But McVay should have known that his QB is the type of throw to his primary when he has the matchup even if there's a better option and called something that made our primary read a short pass to Kupp or Woods.

Regardless, there were a bunch of other plays in this one that cost us the win. Would have had the go-ahead TD if not for the Corbett questionable hold. Would have had the first down if not for the questionable Higbee block in the back. Would have had the go-ahead TD if Webster had beat the punter. Wouldn't have been down if the punt team didn't allow Hekker's punt to be blocked. Wouldn't have been down if the defense stopped the Jets in key situations. Plenty of blame to go around today for a team that gave a shit effort and a coaching staff that clearly looked past this game.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
It was a combination of fuck ups. Goff should have come off his primary and went to Kupp as his secondary for the first down on 4th down. But McVay should have known that his QB is the type of throw to his primary when he has the matchup even if there's a better option and called something that made our primary read a short pass to Kupp or Woods.

Regardless, there were a bunch of other plays in this one that cost us the win. Would have had the go-ahead TD if not for the Corbett questionable hold. Would have had the first down if not for the questionable Higbee block in the back. Would have had the go-ahead TD if Webster had beat the punter. Wouldn't have been down if the punt team didn't allow Hekker's punt to be blocked. Wouldn't have been down if the defense stopped the Jets in key situations. Plenty of blame to go around today for a team that gave a shit effort and a coaching staff that clearly looked past this game.

You're right a combo of miscues. Your first paragraph addresses the 4th down play and says that goff either made a bad decision or a bad throw. Whether or not goff thought the matchup was favorable, why throw it 20 yards down against the sideline in 3rd and 4th and short, into what ended up as good coverage. I like goff but it's not like this is the first or 5th time he's made this exact critical mistake. He's done that over and over the past years with a bad completion rate so how is that a good matchup if you have to make that throw. Just throw it 4 yards down. And as I said, because I knew someone would bring up all the missed plays to that point, none of that mattered when mcvay called that play and/or goff made those bad decisions and throws because with those 2 plays they had the chance, and a very good chance, to win this game. Making those plays is the difference between champions and excuses.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You're right a combo of miscues. Your first paragraph addresses the 4th down play and says that goff either made a bad decision or a bad throw. Whether or not goff thought the matchup was favorable, why throw it 20 yards down against the sideline in 3rd and 4th and short, into what ended up as good coverage. I like goff but it's not like this is the first or 5th time he's made this exact critical mistake. He's done that over and over the past years with a bad completion rate so how is that a good matchup if you have to make that throw. Just throw it 4 yards down. And as I said, because I knew someone would bring up all the missed plays to that point, none of that mattered when mcvay called that play and/or goff made those bad decisions and throws because with those 2 plays they had the chance, and a very good chance, to win this game. Making those plays is the difference between champions and excuses.

In the grand scheme of things, this game is irrelevant. We can still be champions. But it hurts right now. The team needs to get angry and take that out on the Seahawks.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
We needed 4 yards, to quite possibly win the game. It was lining up perfectly.
3rd and 4.
OK, most of us who have been around awhile remember a real genius who gave us fits. His name was Bill Walsh.
Do any of you think for one second Bill Walsh would have thrown those 2 low odds touch passes when all he needed was 4 yards ?
Not a fucking chance. Rice or Taylor would have caught a slant and been done with it. If that did not work the TE or the RB would have caught the needed short pass. Hell, Fisher would have ran it twice and got it.(sorry for putting Walsh and Fisher in the same paragraph)
We have 2 WRs who are expert at these short passes and a really good TE.
McVay just pisses me off. We run NE into the ground but do not even try it against the Jets. Why, because McVay watched some film and thought he could just dial something up ?
How about simply imposing your will on the vastly inferior team ?
Even the Rams first possession ticks me off. 3rd and 2. And we get in the fucking shotgun ? Do not make them defend even the "thought" of a run ?

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
AND!!! Getting tired of Goff "needing" a run game. Its the fucking Jets and we should beat their brains in no matter what.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
In the grand scheme of things, this game is irrelevant. We can still be champions. But it hurts right now. The team needs to get angry and take that out on the Seahawks.

Yeah it will be less frustrating by friday, but all of the rams losses have been against teams they should have beat yet lost because they keep making many of the same mistakes. I just saw the 3rd and 4th down plays on nfl network highlights and the 4th down play had goff throwing the ball 40 yards in the air when they only needed 4 yards for a first. Unless its the last play of the game he has no business making that throw

Tano

Legend

Pretty high PFFs for some of the Rams - we should have killed them

Blythe's PFF should be extremely low because he killed us on the offensive side.

I did a write-up and he was basically responsible for us punting on 3 of the first 6 series.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
We needed 4 yards, to quite possibly win the game. It was lining up perfectly.
3rd and 4.
OK, most of us who have been around awhile remember a real genius who gave us fits. His name was Bill Walsh.
Do any of you think for one second Bill Walsh would have thrown those 2 low odds touch passes when all he needed was 4 yards ?
Not a fucking chance. Rice or Taylor would have caught a slant and been done with it. If that did not work the TE or the RB would have caught the needed short pass. Hell, Fisher would have ran it twice and got it.(sorry for putting Walsh and Fisher in the same paragraph)
We have 2 WRs who are expert at these short passes and a really good TE.
McVay just pisses me off. We run NE into the ground but do not even try it against the Jets. Why, because McVay watched some film and thought he could just dial something up ?
How about simply imposing your will on the vastly inferior team ?
Even the Rams first possession ticks me off. 3rd and 2. And we get in the fucking shotgun ? Do not make them defend even the "thought" of a run ?
Nailed it.
I can get past watching 3 qtrs of uninspired Rams football and letting an inspired winless team hang around. What i can't get past are those last couple play calls when it's winning time.

I listened to the press conference. McV liked the (one on one)matchups. That's great...if it's 3rd and 15 or 4th and 20. That's great if you're playing with a small lead and want to put the game to bed etc.

If you don't get that 1st down you're going to lose the game. Get the 4 yards. You've got two plays to get it done. I honestly expected a WR screen to get called and blown up there, which would have been frustrating enough, but what we got instead was doubly frustrating. Low % stuff, and to compound it, we don't even have the type of receivers who are skilled in going up to get those type of balls. Woods and Kupp are outstanding but they aren't those type of guys.

It's the Jets. Dial up a 5 yard play. Send everyone to the sticks and force them to defend a quick pass from sideline to sideline.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Last play of the game. Great call for the Jets, and sort of a mess for us. It looks like our CBs and LB are in man coverage with Fuller playing the deep zone and Johnson playing zone underneath. 2 defenders (Ramsey and Reeder) follow the motion man (Crowder) leaving the RB (Gore) uncovered. Also the TE (Griffin) is wide open in the flat at the top of the screen.