Game Review

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
No matter how one slices it Walton and Marty Jr. are getting horribly outschemed. That is the difference in all 3 games.

Marty Jr. is not designing plays that create space for WR's. Sometimes its execution but most of the time it's play call.
Our DB's are playing closer to the line on more plays each week but on a few critical plays one DB was still 10 yards off and Romo went directly to that guy for the first down. Easy money.

I said before the season Schotty had no idea how to use Tavon and he doesn't it's an absolute waste.

Also, get the dam hurry up going. Even the announcer were pointing out how it took the Rams 6 minutes to score and were scratching their heads why we were taking our sweet time. That is embarrasing. It looks so bush league when we can't even implement a hurry up offense.

These are all easy fixes but I am losing faith this staff has the brains to make the needed changes that everyone else can see.

Iron Lion

Starter
Why is no one talking about the 4th down play?

4yYVS.jpg

I don't understand why he throws it here on 4th and 20...

Ebonemalone

Rookie
RamBall said:
I think part of the frustration is we see other teams run the quick WR screen and bust it for a huge gain, when the Rams run it they get maybe 2 or 3 yards. Other teams WRs are wide open repeatedly and hold onto the ball, something we dont see much from the Rams WRs. But we must all remember they are a young team and will only get better.

Ever since holt and Bruce left I've felt this way. Good teams, bad teams, hell the Jags had a lot more wide open receivers yesterday against the Seahawks...Year after year I feel like we never break ANY highlight worthy TDs.

Actually come to think of it the first one in a while was Cook's TD in the first game

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
had said:
--Can we argue that the Cowboys seemed to know exactly what we were going to do on both offense and defense? Again, I don't have rewind, so I was only able to replay the lowlights, but on the touchdown to Harris, look at the defense the Rams play -- Finnegan comes on a corner blitz (one of the sorriest corner blitzes in recent memory, more like a corner blintz, hahahahaha yes I made a joke mofer's) and there are two guys waiting for him, Long chips the TE to Laurinaitis, and then pulls over the top and gets stonewalled (Laurinaitis is toast on this play), and Harris is released to TJ (motherf'ing McDonald), who almost makes the play on the ball, but not quite, and the Rams are further buried. The Rams, who have been giving a cushion all day, have their safety up taking the slot, and they get burned. The Cowboys looked like they knew it was going to come off that way. And it played out like that all f*cking game.

That's all pre and post snap reads by Romo.

I'll explain as there are two main giveaways:
1. TJ McDonald widens out his alignment so he's lined up deep behind Finnegan and over the slot WR. That's a dead giveaway that Finnegan is going to blitz. Whenever a QB sees that, he's going to assume there's a CB blitz. It may be a dummy alignment to trick him but his pre-snap read is CB blitz.
and
2. He can tell post-snap that Witherspoon is faking the blitz because Trumaine Johnson is playing off with a huge cushion and Rodney McLeod immediately bails out. So...the read there is pretty simple, you have McDonald matched up 1 on 1 with the slot WR and you know that your OL has enough guys to pick-up the blitz...especially with Murray staying into block.

It just wasn't a particularly well disguised play. And that's the trouble you run into with a CB blitz and not having a vet safety. It's difficult to ask McDonald to man up but not widen out over the slot WR...especially if you're going to line him up as a deep safety. A better way of disguising that would have been bringing him up into the box and lining him up may be 7 to 9 yards off the ball between Laurinaitis and Finnegan. The only issue is that leaves you vulnerable to an out route.

And I think it's worth pointing out that Finnegan had no chance on that blitz. He was up against both the Tackle and Guard. Also worth pointing out that it was another instance where McLeod was in a Cover 1 deep zone and was a complete non-factor on a deep throw. He bites on that damn crossing route every time. Although can't entirely blame him when Laurinaitis manages to get beat despite Long's chip.

iced

Mcleod is starting to remind me of Dahl - always out of position and jumping crossing routes

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Iron Lion said:

4yYVS.jpg

You mean the three guys salivating like a pack of wolves just hoping Cook catches that 4 yard pass? Yeah - I mentioned that play. 16 yards to wind up and lower the boom on the receiver. Probably good he didn't catch that thing. But still... Kind of a microcosm of the way we played that whole game.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
RamFan503 said:
Iron Lion said:

4yYVS.jpg

You mean the three guys salivating like a pack of wolves just hoping Cook catches that 4 yard pass? Yeah - I mentioned that play. 16 yards to wind up and lower the boom on the receiver. Probably good he didn't catch that thing. But still... Kind of a microcosm of the way we played that whole game.
Yeah, but Dallas is clearly in prevent, nobody else in the picture is open, probably just trying to get some field position back.

Iron Lion

Starter
DR RAM said:
RamFan503 said:
Iron Lion said:

4yYVS.jpg

Yeah, but Dallas is clearly in prevent, nobody else in the picture is open, probably just trying to get some field position back.

Come on you have to admit that's absurd. If Cook catches that he's lucky to get to the 20. If Fisher wanted it at the 20 and Cowboys ball then he'd just kick the FG, very do-able with Greg, and then have Greg boot it out the endzone. If your coach tells you to go for it on 4th and 20 that's not code for check it down. It means if you have to then you chuck it up and see what happens.

I know that winning the game would've required 3 & outs from the D, which was not something you could really bank on, but what are you gonna do just give up? If you look at the clock then it's clear what Fisher's plan was. Get the TD with around 7:00 left, get the 2, get the ball back after the Cowboys eat 2 minutes, get another TD and 2 in 2-3 min, then get the ball back after the Cowboys eat 1 minute and your 2 timeouts. That then leaves you with 1-2 minutes and no timeouts to get 8 points. Not very likely, but also not impossible. But if you check it down and play field position, you're still down by 3 scores and so the Cowboys can burn off 2 minutes each possession for 3 possessions... using your two timeouts means they will burn up 4:40 of clock even if they're just taking knees. Plus 3 punts puts that easily at 5 minutes. Now you have 3:20 and no timeouts to get 3 TDs with 3 2-point conversions.

had

Rookie
jrry32 said:
That's all pre and post snap reads by Romo.

I'll explain as there are two main giveaways:
1. TJ McDonald widens out his alignment so he's lined up deep behind Finnegan and over the slot WR. That's a dead giveaway that Finnegan is going to blitz. Whenever a QB sees that, he's going to assume there's a CB blitz. It may be a dummy alignment to trick him but his pre-snap read is CB blitz.
and
2. He can tell post-snap that Witherspoon is faking the blitz because Trumaine Johnson is playing off with a huge cushion and Rodney McLeod immediately bails out. So...the read there is pretty simple, you have McDonald matched up 1 on 1 with the slot WR and you know that your OL has enough guys to pick-up the blitz...especially with Murray staying into block.

It just wasn't a particularly well disguised play. And that's the trouble you run into with a CB blitz and not having a vet safety. It's difficult to ask McDonald to man up but not widen out over the slot WR...especially if you're going to line him up as a deep safety. A better way of disguising that would have been bringing him up into the box and lining him up may be 7 to 9 yards off the ball between Laurinaitis and Finnegan. The only issue is that leaves you vulnerable to an out route.

And I think it's worth pointing out that Finnegan had no chance on that blitz. He was up against both the Tackle and Guard. Also worth pointing out that it was another instance where McLeod was in a Cover 1 deep zone and was a complete non-factor on a deep throw. He bites on that damn crossing route every time. Although can't entirely blame him when Laurinaitis manages to get beat despite Long's chip.

Good post.

Thanks for the education.

Appears I might have helped X make his argument.

One question -- it appeared to me that the Dallas guard moved down to cover the corner blitz immediately upon the snap (can't see it now). Did he recognize that on his own, or was he informed by Romo, or...

RamzFanz

Damnit
RamFan503 said:
Iron Lion said:

4yYVS.jpg

And yet if that were Tavon Austin instead of Cook he could very well take it to the bank. Why can't they get TA open field like that? He could destroy them. 3 defenders 12 yards off? Forget about it.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Iron Lion said:
DR RAM said:
RamFan503 said:
Iron Lion said:

4yYVS.jpg

Come on you have to admit that's absurd. If Cook catches that he's lucky to get to the 20. If Fisher wanted it at the 20 and Cowboys ball then he'd just kick the FG, very do-able with Greg, and then have Greg boot it out the endzone. If your coach tells you to go for it on 4th and 20 that's not code for check it down. It means if you have to then you chuck it up and see what happens.

I know that winning the game would've required 3 & outs from the D, which was not something you could really bank on, but what are you gonna do just give up? If you look at the clock then it's clear what Fisher's plan was. Get the TD with around 7:00 left, get the 2, get the ball back after the Cowboys eat 2 minutes, get another TD and 2 in 2-3 min, then get the ball back after the Cowboys eat 1 minute and your 2 timeouts. That then leaves you with 1-2 minutes and no timeouts to get 8 points. Not very likely, but also not impossible. But if you check it down and play field position, you're still down by 3 scores and so the Cowboys can burn off 2 minutes each possession for 3 possessions... using your two timeouts means they will burn up 4:40 of clock even if they're just taking knees. Plus 3 punts puts that easily at 5 minutes. Now you have 3:20 and no timeouts to get 3 TDs with 3 2-point conversions.
Absurd? Yeah, the field position I forgot about, sorry. But, no, there was nothing there, and if Cook catches it, he has a blocker or two, so if he can make one guy miss, or break a tackle, him getting 10 yards isn't as insurmountable as you seem to think it is.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Iron Lion said:
DR RAM said:
RamFan503 said:
Iron Lion said:

4yYVS.jpg

With the way they were gashing our defense? It's easier said than done to say that it wouldn't have been impossible to get back in the game.

Yeah it wouldn't have been impossible, but it would have been highly implausible, given how well Demarco Murray was running on us, what's to stop the Cowboys from stringing together a long play that wastes a lot of clock before ultimately scoring? Not to mention we're in a 4th and 20 situation, why would you want to go out there and risk your guys getting smashed? Just to prove a point?

I'm not happy with the end result anymore than you are, but at that point I'd rather they get out alive and come out flying on Thursday than risk any of these guys losing valuable growing time to injury trying to reclaim something that's already lost.

iced

Torry's confused on this ball being thrown too hard

Attachments

• Torry-Holt-Finger-Pic.jpg
    Torry-Holt-Finger-Pic.jpg
    487.1 KB · Views: 130

Iron Lion

Starter
DR RAM said:
Absurd? Yeah, the field position I forgot about, sorry. But, no, there was nothing there, and if Cook catches it, he has a blocker or two, so if he can make one guy miss, or break a tackle, him getting 10 yards isn't as insurmountable as you seem to think it is.

Dude look at the picture. The Cowboys were literally giving them 10 yards. It was 4th & 20 and you're pretending the goal was to get 10 yards. The Cowboys were defending the first down, the answer is not to check it down on 4th down. You have to beat the defense on 4th down it's not the time to take what the defense gives you.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Iron Lion said:
DR RAM said:

Dude look at the picture. The Cowboys were literally giving them 10 yards. It was 4th & 20 and you're pretending the goal was to get 10 yards. The Cowboys were defending the first down, the answer is not to check it down on 4th down. You have to beat the defense on 4th down it's not the time to take what the defense gives you.
Dude, nobody was fucking open, and why would you have 2 Rams back there if they weren't part of the play. Throwing into coverage gives you no more success towards winning the game. It was an executable play, and one at that point which had very little to do with the outcome. I have a much bigger issue with the lack of pace, and many other things that happened, then to dwell on why Sam threw to an open receiver on a designed play.

You show me where someone was open and we'll talk more.

Iron Lion

Starter
I don't have another angle on that play. But even if he puts it up and gets an INT they will still gain more yardage on that than they would've from checking it down to Cook.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
HometownBoy said:
I'm not happy with the end result anymore than you are, but at that point I'd rather they get out alive and come out flying on Thursday than risk any of these guys losing valuable growing time to injury trying to reclaim something that's already lost.

He's a Lions fan. But not a troll from another team. Now his DAD probably wasn't any more happy than any of us. Iron is probably more just trying to point something out. I didn't understand the play either and it looked like it was the first read. It was open so Sam threw the ball. I'm guessing of course but it sure looked like the design before the snap. I get what Doc is saying too but it appeared to have virtually no chance of success unless the three cowgirls tripped on their panties. :bign:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
iced said:

Cracks me up that the dude won't get that fixed because he views it as a badge of honor. He just had them spray it, try to straighten it, and back in he went. :lmao:

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
RamFan503 said:
HometownBoy said:

He's a Lions fan. But not a troll from another team. Now his DAD probably wasn't any more happy than any of us. Iron is probably more just trying to point something out. I didn't understand the play either and it looked like it was the first read. It was open so Sam threw the ball. I'm guessing of course but it sure looked like the design before the snap. I get what Doc is saying too but it appeared to have virtually no chance of success unless the three cowgirls tripped on their panties. :bign:
Thanks for the headsup 803.

I see what you guys mean, but at that point we'd already proven we had no chance of stopping them at any facet of the game on defense, when they weren't running all over us, they were gashing us through the air in an assault so bad I'm surprised Romo and Murray weren't arrested on air for it. The game was all but lost by then.

With that in mind, I can't really blame them for not going for some deep shot that runs the risk of having Givens or one of our other guys get blown up and miss time to prove a point that we could have made a lot earlier when it would have been more consequential.

Besides you never know, a big guy like Cook can break stuff, we got these guys to stretch the field and Cook can do that before or after the ball is in his hands. It might not mean anything now, given that it happened in a game where it was pretty much wrapped up at that point, but I imagine Cook could make something out of a play like that, as you and others have said, it looks like a design play so looks like they trust Cook to make something out of 7 yarders. It's not nearly the condemning crap play it's being insinuated as.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
iced said:

Torry has said multiple times he dislocated his finger blocking a cb. He said his finger got cuaght in his jersy... I believe it was Ray Bucannon. He also said he won't get it fixed becuase the Dr says it will have limited mobility.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2