1. To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Game Review

Discussion in 'RAMS - NFL TALK' started by -X-, Sep 23, 2013.

1. DR RAM Rams Lifer

See, I don't agree, it had a chance, just as much if not more than trying to force it into bracketed coverage of our two outside guys.

We had 2 guys, both of our tight ends, run 5 yard button patterns, pretty close together on the hashes. Nobody was on either one of them. So there were 7 guys, 2 deep safeties sitting on the 10, where we needed to be, 3 backers on the 20, 10 yard off the ball, and 1 guy on each outside receiver.

Sam throws to Cook on the right hash, Kendricks immediately picks a target and starts running towards him, Givens is there for a block. My point is, it is not Sam's fault, it's the play if anything, or why wouldn't you send all 4 guys into deep routes? If both Kendricks and Givens execute their blocks, who knows. We don't have Calvin Johnson.

Cook is the closest thing to it, but we didn't send him to the marker. Quick is our next closest, and I don't think he was in this package. Just leading up to this play, to get to 4th and 20, we had a drop, a sack, and an incomplete, where we did attempt a deep pass. The game sucked. This was NOT a pivotal play in the outcome.

2. Iron Lion Well-Known Member

Yes he was not too happy. But by that point he didn't have the energy to complain about it really.

And I'm not trying to be overly critical of your QB. He looked pretty good the first two games, other than the pick 6 at ATL which I think was half his fault for throwing it too hard at Richardson. But against the Cardinals I thought he played a great game.

3. Username Has a Well-Known Member

It's by design. It's basically like a TE screen with Kendicks. We do variations of this literately all the time on 3rd and long. Seriously. Most of the time it's with a back. Have the speedsters on the outside run off the coverage then check it down to someone in space and see if they can make someone miss. It's dumb, especially on 4th down I agree.

4. DR RAM Rams Lifer

I can agree with that also.

5. TexasRam Well-Known Member

Not only do scheme problems fall on coaches but Execution Problems fall on the Coaches. When players don't execute either you are putting the wrong guys in position or you are not teaching them correctly.

Example: Screen not blocked correctly. The Success of this play weighs heavily on training the players exactly where to be in order to block it right. Calling the play at the right time against the right defense is also critical. If your WR is too weak to block then you replace him with one who can.

Our Coordinators are so inept at Scheme and coaching up execution.

6. -X- I'm the dude, man.

Got it. Thanks.

7. Rabid Ram Well-Known Member

So in other words players making mistakes is always and will always be a coach and Coordinators fault

8. xander47 Well-Known Member

I'd say the call is to protect Bradford too from staying in the pocket too long and taking another hit. I don't think anyone wants another injury in garbage time like the Packers game in '11.

9. RamFan503 Grill and Brew Master

I think we should all be able to agree on that.

10. HometownBoy STL sports aficionado

At the end of the day players have to do their jobs, the coaches can't play for them. If they cannot do then that reflects poorly on them. I'll agree that the lack of preparation does fall on the coaches, but you can't blame lack of execution on coaches. They don't play, the players do, they have fault in it.

I will agree that the schemes need to be better, but that's not execution, that's not putting your players in the best position to succeed, which I also agree Walton and Schott aren't doing right now.

11. jrry32 Well-Known Member

Could be either one. I'd guess they called for him to do it while calling protections since he was likely going to have Chris Long handed off to him if Finnegan went outside...only Long ended up chipping the TE and attacking the other side of the formation.