Gaines Is Out Again

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
Does anyone know coty's pff score for last week? Gotta be down right putrid.

I would rather have hill or the fa from San Diego suit up.
overall
Lamarcus Joyner LA 20 47.1
Trumaine Johnson LA 22 45.3
Coty Sensabaugh LA 21 42.5

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i heard today that slot receivers had a 75% completion rate against the rams the past year, best in the nfl.

so between sensabaugh and joyner the rams are screwed. how can the dline get pressure when the qb has an outlet that will be open almost every time?

i'm hoping that this stat is due to the scheme the rams used last year, let them make the short completion then try to knock them the freak out before the marker.

Completion percentage doesn't really mean anything. As I recall, the Rams were one of the worst teams in the NFL in completion percentage allowed last year but one of the best in passing TDs allowed.

Our scheme last year gave up a lot of high percentage, short passes. And slot guys usually benefit the most from those sort of passes. The real question is...how many TDs did we give up and what were the yards per completion and attempt out of the slot?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Gaines was the guy we knew had to stay healthy. So what happens? Of course. He still isn't ready.

I just don't understand why the fans can see what the staff doesn't with Hill vs Sensabaugh. Are the coaches that blinded by his raw talent that they can't see the difference in the two? How blazingly fast CS is doesn't matter when his instincts in coverage are that bad. Hell, if anyone should be moved to FS it's him, not Joyner who at least has the instincts you need at corner.

And here we are buyin lottery tickets on two rookies in the hopes they can help just because they can catch the ball but noooooo. Both out. Still.

I swear man, this team is going to put me in the effin funny farm one of these days.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
My post was not about Sensabaugh. More about EJ Gaines inability to be available. But in real words ... Sensabaugh is worth more than Gaines if he can suit up and play .... just how the world works

Sensabaugh is worth a buck fifty and my pocket lint.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Actually not bad

Which should tell you why PFF shouldn't be relied on. Sensabaugh failed to get off blocks in the running game and got embarrassed in the passing game.

Agreed PFF shouldn't be relied on at all times, but it is useful in some instances. Sensabaugh got a terrible grade, his grade would fall into PFF's lowest grading tier. Only a few CBs graded were worse notably Breshaud Breeland and Darelle Revis who have played terribly.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Titans fans warned us.

Sensabaugh needs to step up.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Titans fans warned us.

Sensabaugh needs to step up.

I don't like being a pessimist, but he's not going to step up. Him and Cam Thomas have been ineffective players their entire careers. I do not understand what the Rams were thinking. Here are 5 players at Sensabaugh's position that we could have signed for similar or less money per year:
1. Jerraud Powers
2. Patrick Robinson
3. Prince Amukamara (a little more per year but on a 1-year deal)
4. Casey Hayward (nearly identical contract)
5. Antonio Cromartie

Are all those guys guaranteed to be good players? No. But I'd take every single one over Sensabaugh. Who could we have signed over Cam Thomas at a comparable rate?
1. Terrance Knighton (still a free agent)
2. Tony McDaniel
3. Pat Sims
4. Randy Starks (still a free agent)
5. Kenrick Ellis (still a free agent)

I'm not saying that any of these guys will be good players. But all we need is a big boy who can occupy space and not get blown off the ball. I'm actually in disbelief that we aren't considering Terrance Knighton. IMO, he's a far better backup NT than Cam Thomas.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I don't like being a pessimist, but he's not going to step up. Him and Cam Thomas have been ineffective players their entire careers. I do not understand what the Rams were thinking. Here are 5 players at Sensabaugh's position that we could have signed for similar or less money per year:
1. Jerraud Powers
2. Patrick Robinson
5. Antonio Cromartie

Are all those guys guaranteed to be good players? No. But I'd take every single one over Sensabaugh. Who could we have signed over Cam Thomas at a comparable rate?

This is the really infuriating part. None of those guys are world-beaters, but they are obviously better players than Sensabaugh. Why didn't we sign one of them instead? Oh, right. They're not ex-Titans. Get Fisher the fuk out of Los Angeles. ASAP.

Frogbelly

Rookie
Name
Frogbelly
The Ram offense is killing the defense. How are the db's going to improve if they have no one to cover in practice? In practice, 21 and 20 probably look like future hall of famers, then they have to face good receivers and don't know how to cover.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
1. Jerraud Powers
2. Patrick Robinson
5. Antonio Cromartie

1. Terrance Knighton (still a free agent)
2. Tony McDaniel
3. Pat Sims
4. Randy Starks (still a free agent)
5. Kenrick Ellis (still a free agent)

I'm not saying that any of these guys will be good players. But all we need is a big boy who can occupy space and not get blown off the ball. I'm actually in disbelief that we aren't considering Terrance Knighton. IMO, he's a far better backup NT than Cam Thomas.
Yeah, Thomas is especially frustrating for me. He's about as 1 dimensional as it gets for a defender, he simply occupies space. He gets little to no push and offers no flexibility.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I thought Tru had a great game. He tackled and covered well. I think he only let up 2 receptions his way.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Our reserve corner who is our #4 CB Coty Sensabaugh was certainly active with 9 tackles & a forced fumble as in his starting debut due to the ongoing injury saga involving EJ. Joyner had 7 tackles but was toasted very early & often. Gregg only played one legit LB'er all night. Using four safeties & only 3 corners to fill in the back seven. I would think that those 3 corners were gassed by half time. If the front four could have applied some pressure to the 9ers QB mainly from Quinn this passing defense would have looked much better.

One would think that the alleged best defensive front in the NFL could apply come pressure & sacks against a very questionable 9er OL. DE's Quinn, Sims, Hayes & Westbrooks provided very little pressure an but more effectiveness .... a good majority of those completed passes would have failed. I am pointing my finger directly @ Rob Quinn!:palm: He could only muster 2 tackles & was ineffective all night & against the pass & run. Quinn lost containment on many plays as the 9ers ran inside & outside of him. Eugene Sims play only mustered 1 tackle & was no better than Quinn on the right outside edge.

So while we have torched 2/3rds of our starting corners since the loss to the 9ers.....this forum has been muted on the play of our mighty DE's. The DL had Z E R O sacks. I have a different take on where the true issue may lay in that loss as I pointed out above.

On the flip side Hayes had Five tackles & was highly effective against the run & put some serious hits on the RB's. So I have no complaints about Hayes but he is slowing down on his QB pressures. The best reserve DL was Easley & I thought had a very good game with 3 tackles & a forced fumble. TJ Mc Donald & Alec Olgetree came to play & between those two alone they had 20 tackles.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I swear man, this team is going to put me in the effin funny farm one of these days.
They've done this^ to me a few times over the last 65 Seasons, It can be a Fun place to visit!! I just don't want to stay their!:LOL:

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Our reserve corner who is our #4 CB Coty Sensabaugh was certainly active with 9 tackles & a forced fumble as in his starting debut due to the ongoing injury saga involving EJ. Joyner had 7 tackles but was toasted very early & often. Gregg only played one legit LB'er all night. Using four safeties & only 3 corners to fill in the back seven. I would think that those 3 corners were gassed by half time. If the front four could have applied some pressure to the 9ers QB mainly from Quinn this passing defense would have looked much better.

One would think that the alleged best defensive front in the NFL could apply come pressure & sacks against a very questionable 9er OL. DE's Quinn, Sims, Hayes & Westbrooks provided very little pressure an but more effectiveness .... a good majority of those completed passes would have failed. I am pointing my finger directly @ Rob Quinn!:palm: He could only muster 2 tackles & was ineffective all night & against the pass & run. Quinn lost containment on many plays as the 9ers ran inside & outside of him. Eugene Sims play only mustered 1 tackle & was no better than Quinn on the right outside edge.

So while we have torched 2/3rds of our starting corners since the loss to the 9ers.....this forum has been muted on the play of our mighty DE's. The DL had Z E R O sacks. I have a different take on where the true issue may lay in that loss as I pointed out above.

On the flip side Hayes had Five tackles & was highly effective against the run & put some serious hits on the RB's. So I have no complaints about Hayes but he is slowing down on his QB pressures. The best reserve DL was Easley & I thought had a very good game with 3 tackles & a forced fumble. TJ Mc Donald & Alec Olgetree came to play & between those two alone they had 20 tackles.

I noticed this too. The defensive line was horrible against San Fran. They got zero pressure all night. Part of that is probably due to them being gassed. Chip Kelly runs a high-tempo offense. And since our offence was so inept, our defense had to play vs that fast-paced 49er attack for far longer than they should have. But still. With a d-line boasting Donald, Brockers, and Quinn you need to see better results. Period. Our defence is built around being able to get after the QB. If we completely fail to do that, it is going to be a rough night.

This was Quinn's first real game since the back injury. So I don't want to be too harsh on him. But it was concerning to see him to so ineffective. In the back of your mind, you have to at least be a bit concerned if his days as a top-notch DE are over. It's too early to panic about that possibility just yet. But back surgery is a huge deal. Espciall for a DE that bends like Quinn.

Hopefully Quinn puts these fears at ease by terrorising the Seahawks on Sunday. If he can't win vs that o-line..... we're in trouble.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
First off, 10 punts & 2 int's will make a defense look terrible....

EJ being injured....well, lis franc is undefeated in causing secondary lower extremity problems...EJ may never be the same again...
In practice, 21 and 20 probably look like future hall of famers,
Not even close...in fact, if it wasn't for Joyners hustle, you'd think he's on the fence for being cut....
Coty Sensabaugh....I keep looking at this guy....and...seems to be a much better player than Joyner...great tackler...but just can't make a play in coverage...

Joyner...constantly beat...behind...and a penalty magnet...I believe the foot injury will allow Hill or Williams to get on the field...Joyner needs to sit down...figure out how to break up a pass....

Hill should start opposite of Tru Johnson....First crack....Slide Sensabaugh inside.....and if Sensabaugh gives up 2 third down completions, move Williams into his role...and bench Coty & LaMarcus...

Last edited: