Former Rams coach Mike Martz: Sean McVay a QB expert? 'Wait a minute while I puke'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
Martz was hospitalized for a bacterial infection of a heart valve in early October of 2005. It was an opportunity for Shaw and Zygmunt to can him, which they did in January of 2006. More at this link...
http://www.semissourian.com/story/1121602.html

Joe Vitt replaced Martz while he was hospitalized. I remember him coaching a Monday night game against Peyton Manning and the Colts. We had been in the lead during the first half. Marc Bulger gets hurt. Manning comes out for the second half and immediately begins whining at the refs. We lose 45-28. That's when my deep dislike for Peyton Manning began. :mad:
I was just thinking didn't Peyton Manning only beat the Rams once in his career? 2001 we destroyed the Colts (don't remember the score) and we played him in 2014 while he was in Denver. Both wins were in St. Louis.

Back to Martz. I think the way he was canned was pretty messed up. At the end of the day, I want to say he was making phone calls during the games too.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
Well he got cleared the last game of the season on Jan 1 2006. He was not allowed in booth & was fired the next day with a year on his contract. There were things going on up to that point.
It was just weird how it all went down. Mad Mike was part to blame. Jay Z was just a piece of work.
Agreed.
Amazing how quickly things went from a title to totally dysfunctional.
The same sort of dysfunction infected SF as well after their Super Bowl appearance.
Really, that consistent leadership and vision....this is "our" vision. Our kind of coaches, our kind of schemes, or kind of players. It is probably then most important element in teams that are contenders year in and year out. Green Bay, Pittsburgh, NE, Denver etc. Well, that and HOF QBs.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Martz was hospitalized for a bacterial infection of a heart valve in early October of 2005. It was an opportunity for Shaw and Zygmunt to can him, which they did in January of 2006. More at this link...
http://www.semissourian.com/story/1121602.html

Joe Vitt replaced Martz while he was hospitalized. I remember him coaching a Monday night game against Peyton Manning and the Colts. We had been in the lead during the first half. Marc Bulger gets hurt. Manning comes out for the second half and immediately begins whining at the refs. We lose 45-28. That's when my deep dislike for Peyton Manning began. :mad:

The way they did it was messed up . Thinking about it today was that they probably couldn't fire him while he was sick. It was the day after he got cleared. He wanted to be apart of the last game & they kicked him out.

Mad Mike had & has a big ego. The guys track record speaks for it's self. I hated Jay Z though & was not a big Mad Mike fan.
What happened with The Rams franchise has a big effect on the start of the decline.

Then again maybe I'm wrong about everything? So many years ago to finally get to this point.

I've seen a lot of rebuilding in my time. This season is going to be solid. Right now my biggest concern is that Aaron Donald holds out .

I've seen players screw up a good thing.

ED holding out & SJ holding out really can hold a team back.

I look at the Chargers holding out Gates for trying to be cheap. The Rams situation is different. The Rams are up against the salary cap.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Agreed.
Amazing how quickly things went from a title to totally dysfunctional.
The same sort of dysfunction infected SF as well after their Super Bowl appearance.
Really, that consistent leadership and vision....this is "our" vision. Our kind of coaches, our kind of schemes, or kind of players. It is probably then most important element in teams that are contenders year in and year out. Green Bay, Pittsburgh, NE, Denver etc. Well, that and HOF QBs.

The good thing is McVay is building this right. Just the piece he has put together from coaching,Free Agents, & The draft.

I know Snead & Demoff are a part of it as well , but McVay has it heading in the right direction.

fearsomefour

Legend
The good thing is McVay is building this right. Just the piece he has put together from coaching,Free Agents, & The draft.

I know Snead & Demoff are a part of it as well , but McVay has it heading in the right direction.
We can hope.
A lot of moving parts.
I do think finding the right young coach was the goal with this hire. To create, hopefully, lasting stability. A guy would could coach for 10 years or more. The Steelers model basically.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
We can hope.
A lot of moving parts.
I do think finding the right young coach was the goal with this hire. To create, hopefully, lasting stability. A guy would could coach for 10 years or more. The Steelers model basically.

I really like the youth he has brought in as well as the veterans in both coaches & players.

Kromer jr. , Shula are cool additions of youth , along with Matt LaFleur

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Back to Martz. I think the way he was canned was pretty messed up.

couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. maybe he got an inkling of a feeling of what he did to kurt.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah the way McVay handled that press conference... Just masterful. The dude is a natural with the media, and a grounded dude as well.

Martz will eventually regret those words, and they'll end up goin down as a hilarious quote, because McVay's going to be a star as a head coach for a long time and hopefully with us.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I noticed that the book Martz is quoted in is called Blitzed;......".

Mike Martz needs to make sure he's not "Blitzed" when he gives interviews.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Martz will eventually regret those words
He has already been backtracking and claiming that he was misquoted and they exaggerated his quotes.

I think we've heard this story from Martz before. :D

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Martz sounds worse than a scorned woman.
Well, it hurts when you get replaced by a young, upbeat, positive, better-looking trophy coach.

In between shots, while the dinner was getting cold, Martz was waiting for that phone call from the Rams asking him to come back and going through the dialogue in his head.

Unfortunately for the old dame Martz Demoff, Snead and Kroenke were out wining and dining the trophy coach.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well, it hurts when you get replaced by a young, upbeat, positive, better-looking trophy coach.

In between shots, while the dinner was getting cold, Martz was waiting for that phone call from the Rams asking him to come back and going through the dialogue in his head.

Unfortunately for the old dame Martz Demoff, Snead and Kroenke were out wining and dining the trophy coach.

Trophy coach lol. You sir get +1 for creativity lmao. Too bad Mad Mike wasn't that creative btw, would have made that quote and this scandal even funnier.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. maybe he got an inkling of a feeling of what he did to kurt.

That was screwed & to let him get hit all those times with Zero pass protection.

McVay showed class & answered the Martz question first saying what a good football mind.He knows he has to prove himself as a HC.

I like the way McVay is his conscience about the pocket. He likes the way Jared held onto the ball against the Raiders & needs to give him more options. He tries to make sure the offense runs a one unit knowing the play & the concept. In the long run that kind of system will last over time.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Trophy coach lol. You sir get +1 for creativity lmao. Too bad Mad Mike wasn't that creative btw, would have made that quote and this scandal even funnier.
Yeah, he should have hired me to do his PR.

I would have told him to go back on to that same talk show and say;
" When I heard the book was called Blitz, I thought I'd get blitzed before I gave the interview ".

Mod Edit: Comments removed. No politics!

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I'm a big fan of the mooch.
He doesn't like politics either, he is more of a good fella.
Forgeda aboud it.

So yeah, good call!

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
Mad Mike has changed his opinion!!!

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/14/mike-martz-sean-mcvay-criticism-coach-jared-goff

Mike Martz: Sean McVay Should Be Coach of the Year
Robert Klemko
November 14, 2017
The man seen as one of Sean McVay’s earliest and harshest detractors is now fully in McVay’s court as the young coach has led the Rams to a 7-2 record, good for first place in the NFC West, in his first year at the helm. Former Rams coach Mike Martz, who was quoted as dismissing McVay’s quarterback coaching credentials in an April interview with author and NFL reporter Thomas George, now says McVay deserves the NFL’s highest individual honor for a coach.

“McVay should be coach of the year,” Martz, 66, told The MMQB by text message last week. “Balanced team, offense, defense, special teams, all playing well. His attention to detail and leadership is remarkable!”

Eyebrows were raised when Martz, who spent seven seasons coaching the Rams after winning a Super Bowl as Dick Vermeil’s offensive coordinator in the 1999 season, was quoted as questioning the McVay hire in an August excerpt of George’s book, Blitzed: Why NFL Teams Gamble on Starting Rookie Quarterbacks.
“What is he, a couple of months older than Jared? They hired a buddy for Jared,” George quoted Martz as saying. “The NFL has nothing to do with being the friend or the buddy of the quarterback. You’ve got to coach them and work them hard with respect. But buddy? And this guy is a quarterback expert? An offensive expert? Wait a minute while I puke. Right, he’s going to be able to teach and handle and guide Jared through tough times because of all of his expertise and knowledge? Right. I’m not going to drink that Kool-Aid.”

NFL
NFC Is NFL’s Power Conference; Adrian Clayborn Reborn; Richard Sherman Talks Injury

McVay took the high road at the time, professing his respect for Martz and declining to address the comments. Martz denied making those comments to George, describing his criticism of the hire as “kind of embellished.”

“I would never say something like that,” Martz told ESPN 710 in Los Angeles in August. “It was a very short interview, and I think what I told [author Thomas George] was there’s only a couple years’ difference between them, and they probably brought him in because of his ability to communicate. With [Goff], you want somebody more his age, I guess. But all of that other garbage, I would never say something like that.”

He reiterated that assertion last week, telling The MMQB that he consulted a lawyer at the time but later decided to “let it go” because it would be difficult to prove malicious intent in court.

George, who has written for the Detroit Free Press, The New York Times, The Denver Post and NFL.com, says cynicism toward McVay’s hiring was common at the time among veteran coaches, who saw McVay become a head coach 12 days shy of his 31st birthday, the youngest coach in NFL history. “At the time, among coaches who felt they didn’t get that kind of opportunity in their careers, that type of jealousy, envy and resentment surfaced,” George says. “Mike has a lot of strong opinions about a lot of things, and that’s always been Mike Martz. I think it was a situation where he said something in April that he really felt, and when he read it in August, he regretted it.”

(“Simply didn’t happen,” said Martz.)

Whatever the case, Martz was effusive in his praise for McVay and the Rams when contacted by The MMQB: “They have done an excellent job with personnel,” Martz said. “[McVay] hired the best defensive coordinator in the game. No matter what happens from here on out, he has changed the culture there. Hats off to him.”

NFL
NFL, Broadcasters Choose Between Old School, New

Nine games into the 2017 season, McVay’s Rams have improved from pro football’s 32nd-ranked offense in points scored and yards gained a year ago to second and third, respectively, in those categories. Goff is completing 61.2 percent of his passes, with 16 touchdowns and four interceptions; as a rookie under former coach Jeff Fisher a year ago last year, he had a 54.6 percent completion rate, with five touchdowns and seven picks in seven starts.

“Amazing what he has done,” Martz says of McVay and his work with the QB. “Remember, a year ago everybody thought Goff was a bust. [He] just needed to be coached.” McVay, Martz adds, “is on his way to being very special.”

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-15_15-34-59.png
    upload_2017-11-15_15-34-59.png
    44.6 KB · Views: 136

Psycho_X

Legend
says cynicism toward McVay’s hiring was common at the time among veteran coaches, who saw McVay become a head coach 12 days shy of his 31st birthday, the youngest coach in NFL history. “At the time, among coaches who felt they didn’t get that kind of opportunity in their careers, that type of jealousy, envy and resentment surfaced,”

I bet there's a lot of that from several coaches in the league. I bet there still is despite his success. It'll be fun watching him change their minds the rest of the season

bluecoconuts

Legend
Cool-aid tastes a little better than that hater-aid, eh Mike? Welcome to the bandwagon, your crow is in the back.