Foles Making Strong Early Impression/Simmons

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I don't want to make it a Foles vs Bradford thing, demeanor wise.

But I have to say that I'm impressed with the reception Foles is receiving from his new teammates. Very impressed, actually.

These are not the perfunctory politically correct remarks that are expected when any old player joins his new team. The ho hum, blah, blah crap.

These comments seem genuinely enthusiastic and far above and beyond the normal that we see so often. Nick Foles appears to have an Alpha male type leadership style that might be described as more traditional. And a noticeable contrast to that of Bradford.

And I'm saying this as a longtime Bradford supporter through thick and thin.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
This gets me pumped company jargon or not you don't hear that an introvert is a gregarious outgoing leader. Their is something to it.
Like I have said before I watched a lot of Foles at AZ and dude is a competitor with talent.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
I find it interesting that Cook says "once we all get this offense down...". which means to me, Cignetti has put some of his own stuff into the offense, and not just "simplified" Shotty's.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Yeah, they all sound very upbeat and comfortable with Foles.
Sometimes change can spark something great and you get rollin'.

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif
Absolutely and if this OL can keep Foles off the turf, any things possible.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Foles getting acquainted with new Rams teammates

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/st-louis-rams-qb-nick-foles-arizona-wildcats-060415

ST. LOUIS -- Quarterback Nick Foles is getting to know his new St. Louis Rams teammates.

"We love him," wide receiver Kenny Britt said Thursday after the second OTA session and first open to reporters. "Great deep ball, he puts it on the money every time.

"He can throw every pass in the book."

Coach Jeff Fisher said Foles had a good grasp of the offense, which is important right now since he's going against a front that was much improved last season.

Foles was 14-5 as a starter in Philadelphia and is recovered from a broken collarbone that sidelined him for the last eight games of 2014.

"He's got his hands full because we've got great defensive team speed and they're doing a lot of things over there right now," Fisher said. "We've just really been pleased."

There have been a multitude of changes on offense.

Frank Cignetti was promoted from quarterbacks coach to coordinator. A number of young offensive linemen could be pressed into action right away. Veteran guard Rodger Saffold is rounding into form after offseason shoulder surgery.

"It's a different offense, different terminology," Foles said. "But that's the fun of it. I get to learn more football."

It'll be awhile before Foles works with the entire group. First-round pick Todd Gurley is rehabbing from left knee surgery and is getting limited work on the side, but he might not be ready for the start of the season.

Fisher said the former Georgia star running back was "very anxious and probably a little frustrated, probably deep down inside not very happy right now."

"You know how it is sitting out for a long time," Gurley said, "but I've got to be patient. I feel good but I can't play right now."

Foles hasn't forgotten the surprise of getting dealt for Sam Bradford in the offseason.

"I did not expect the trade and that's the truth," Foles said. "Once I started talking to Coach Fisher, I was excited to get to know him because that's where my life was taking me."

St. Louis released veteran offensive linemen Scott Wells and Jake Long after last season and devoted much of the draft to the offensive line.

Tackle Rob Havenstein was taken in the second round, followed tackle-guard Jamon Brown in the third, tackle Andrew Donnal in the fourth and guard Cody Wichmann in the sixth.

Havenstein and Brown spent a lot of time with the first unit Thursday.

"They're going to do a great job," Foles said. "I remember my rookie year, what it's like for these OTAs. This is really the foundation and you're going to have those growing pains."

The players who spoke on Thursday said the possibility the franchise might move to Los Angeles at some point is not on their minds.

"Right now I'm here and that's all I worry about," Foles said. "That's all out of our control."

Fisher coached the Houston Oilers when they moved to Tennessee and said he'd rather not be apprised of developments.

"It's been my opinion really from the start that when all this stuff started happening I'm better off probably not knowing the specifics," the coach said. "That way, when someone asks me I can say I don't know.

"That way, I can say I'm telling the truth."

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
(KTVI) – Rams quarterback Nick Foles discusses team chemistry Thursday at Rams Park.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Not sure if he's taking shots at anyone...Sure wish Quick was out there getting some chemistry too...Does sound good...but the real test is when the bullets start flying...

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Its early and talk is cheap, but it nice to see players going out of their way to praise Foles. Also nice is Britt's comments, not just a comment but a fact and example to back it up. Its better than nobody saying anything.

jap

Legend
Jolly 'Ole Saint Nick making an impression? If he can find tiny Tavon down-field amongst the defensive 'trees,' he will definitely make an impression on me. It should be relatively easier to find Kenny, Quickie, or even Sted down-field.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Not sure if he's taking shots at anyone...
I don't think he is. It's like when Bradford praised Jake Long, and people got all crazy saying he was dissing Saffold. And if any of the linemen come out and say how hard Gurley runs, I wouldn't presume to think it means that Mason is soft.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Does this mean Foles looks better in shorts than Bradford, I wonder?

Off season beauty pageant coverage continues...

SierraRam

Recreational User
A couple of days ago,” said Britt, “I was down on myself, not feeling well, and he was the first one to come to me and say, ‘Hey Kenny, I see it in your face. Let’s go, we can’t have it right now.’”

“That’s how it’s supposed to be,” Cook said. “That’s exactly how a team and an offense is supposed to click.”

So, Cook thinks confronting a receiver is how it's supposed to be?
upload_2015-6-5_11-4-16.jpeg
upload_2015-6-5_11-4-27.jpeg

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Does this mean Foles looks better in shorts than Bradford, I wonder?
Off season beauty pageant coverage continues...
Well, consider the alternative.
"Rams hold OTA's. More to come once the season begins."

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For the sake of getting past the inevitable, let's just assume that every praise offered to Foles is an automatic slam directed at Bradford. That way we don't have to psychoanalyze every comment a receiver makes going forward. (y)
This should be a new rule for the forum!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thank God they're embracing Foles!

Boy, if they didn't like him already, we're in deep doggy doo doo!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I find it interesting that Cook says "once we all get this offense down...". which means to me, Cignetti has put some of his own stuff into the offense, and not just "simplified" Shotty's.

Yes there are going to be a lot of differences I think.

The offense is going to run a WCO under a terminology that is similar but simpler than last season's. His roots go back with McCarthy so don't be surprised if you see a lot of the stuff they do on passing downs at least. I do think the Rams will run the ball for balance, but this is not going to be the offense everyone expects where they think we are going to be among the top of the league in number of rushes.

I am sure that as soon as Cigs got the job he started talking with McCarthy, and maybe even before as he put together his strategy to sell himself to Fish. The two are buds that go way back and honestly I'd be surprised if he doesn't liberally borrow concepts from the Green Bay offense. And the exciting thing is the Rams have the talent to do just that with their depth they have built at the WR level.

Britt/Quick/Austin/Bailey are as talented as any wideouts in the league. They just need to get to the point where they can play without thinking and use that talent to produce. I pray Cigs is ready to put them in that position.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
How does that work when Schottenheimer was running a modified Coryell offense?

Cigs runs a Coryell terminology too, but the routes and scheme are heavily WCO influenced. One doesn't really have all that much to do with another tbh and most teams have hybrid schemes like that now depending on the experience and roots of the coordinator.

EDIT: here's a link that talks about it back from when he was the Rutgers OC: http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2011/08/politi_rutgers_frank_cignetti.html