Foles Making Strong Early Impression/Simmons

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MrMotes

Starter
Cigs runs a Coryell terminology too, but the routes and scheme are heavily WCO influenced. One doesn't really have all that much to do with another tbh and most teams have hybrid schemes like that now depending on the experience and roots of the coordinator.

EDIT: here's a link that talks about it back from when he was the Rutgers OC: http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2011/08/politi_rutgers_frank_cignetti.html

Cool, thanks for the link.

For me the first thing that separates the WCO from a Coryell offense is the terminology.

The second thing is the running game. WCO/GB/Walsh are predicated on the idea that a short pass is as good as a run.

In the Rutgers article Cignetti talks about McCoy and GB and i'd love it if we threw the ball all over field, effectively, the way GB does but i doubt that's what Jeff fisher has in mind. It does seem he's partial to the Coryell digit system for the terminology.

It seems we'll be running, play action,, and the digit system. That sounds a lot like Norv Turner to me. Still, once the bullets start flying, maybe Cignetti turns into Mike McCoy...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I wasn't a fan of Cook before then
Cook wants to win, exhibited traits of a perfectionist, and was upset at his drop at the moment...nothing more, nothing less...He's a baller and one of our best threats at the moment....Think you're putting too much emphasis on this...like most do with his drops & contract.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nick Foles adjusting to vastly different offense
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...k-foles-adjusting-to-vastly-different-offense

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Since his arrival in the NFL in 2012, quarterback Nick Foles' view of the field has largely come standing upright from a few yards behind the center. Playing for Philadelphia Eagles coach Chip Kelly, Foles' experience has been limited to one of the most unique offenses in the NFL.

Now that Foles is taking the reins of the St. Louis Rams' offense, the part of his brain that stores football information is going through a major renovation. Gone are the days of lining up in the shotgun, reading defensive ends on read-option plays and attempting to get in as many offensive plays as quickly as possible.

In its place is an offense that has clearly stated its intentions to be run-first, run-second, pass-third. For Foles, it's an adjustment that's just now starting to take shape as the Rams go through organized team activities.

"We really want to have a great running game, but with that we need to have a great balance in the passing game," Foles said. "We have a lot of talent to really stretch the ball downfield that we’re going to use, but we also have great running backs and an O-Line that’s going to do an outstanding job. It’s a different offense, but I’m loving the offense. I’m learning the offense and it’s going to be a lot of fun to play in."

Make no mistake, when Foles enjoyed his most success in the league in 2013, the Eagles were ninth in the league in rushing. That rushing attack helped open things up for Foles to throw for 27 touchdowns and just two interceptions. But it's not so much the results of what Philadelphia did as the approach to how they did it that will cause the greatest adjustment for Foles moving forward.

Take, for example, something as basic as where he takes his snaps. In his two seasons as the starter, Foles lined up in the shotgun on 645 drop-backs and was under center for just 42 snaps in 21 games. As a team, the Eagles had their quarterbacks drop back out of shotgun formation 1,188 times, the most in the league and clear of second-place San Diego by 38 snaps.

The Rams, on the other hand, have had 756 drop backs out of the shotgun over the past two seasons, which is second-fewest in the league. Only San Francisco has spent less time dropping back out of the shotgun formation.

Foles played in a spread-heavy offense at Arizona as well, so while the simple act of taking a snap from under center isn't completely foreign to him, it's not something he's well-versed in, either. That means much of these OTAs will be spent getting back to basics when it comes to footwork and delivery.

"It’s been a little while but I enjoy it," Foles said. "You can do a lot of things. Being under center and in the gun, you have to be able to do both in the NFL. There’s different situations that you need both. I enjoy doing it."

As you'd expect with a new quarterback and new offensive coordinator and no pads on in practice, the offense is already lagging behind the defense in these OTAs. That makes Foles' job that much tougher.

"He’s got a good feel for our offense right now," coach Jeff Fisher said. "He’s got his hands full, because we have great defensive team speed and they’re doing a lot of things over there right now."

As for the difference between the Rams and Eagles' schemes, Foles said he hasn't spent much time looking at what he used to do. There are some things that are similar conceptually, but overall, there's not much that's the same. Which makes Foles' learning curve that much steeper.

"Yeah there’s different concepts, passing concepts, that are similar, that have similar reads, but it’s a different offense," Foles said. "We’re going to have different terminology, different things going on, but that’s the fun of it. I get to learn more football. It’s a great offense to play in."

Whether it becomes a great offense, period, will depend on how quickly Foles can grasp it.

Athos

Legend
On the other hand, SB was rarely able to throw a touch pass correctly. Screens, endzone corner routes et alia.

Not entirely true. When the ran it, SB was lethal on the bootleg out to the right with a touch pass in the Red Zone. But yea, SB had a naturally strong arm. I think it's harder for the hard throwing QBs to learn those touch passes though.

Foles sounds vocal. Be interesting in general to see if the team just responds to it better.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Foles sounds vocal. Be interesting in general to see if the team just responds to it better.
Pac-12 QB baby!!!! All this hype about balls thrown hard from 5 yards..Foles is this or that....it's good, but Athos, please tell your mates to calm down...I'm about to wet my pants waiting for a coach0 report...

RamBill

Legend
Britt on QB Foles: 'He can throw every pass in the book'

http://www.foxsports.com/midwest/st...es-he-can-throw-every-pass-in-the-book-060515

ST. LOUIS -- Quarterback Nick Foles is getting to know his new St. Louis Rams teammates.

"We love him," wide receiver Kenny Britt said Thursday after the second OTA session and first open to reporters. "Great deep ball, he puts it on the money every time.

"He can throw every pass in the book."

Coach Jeff Fisher said Foles had a good grasp of the offense, which is important right now since he's going against a front that was much improved last season.

Foles was 14-5 as a starter in Philadelphia and is recovered from a broken collarbone that sidelined him the last eight games of 2014.

"He's got his hands full because we've got great defensive team speed and they're doing a lot of things over there right now," Fisher said. "We've just really been pleased."

There have been a multitude of changes on offense.

Frank Cignetti was promoted from quarterbacks coach to coordinator. A number of young offensive linemen could be pressed into action right away. Veteran guard Rodger Saffold is rounding into form after offseason shoulder surgery.

"It's a different offense, different terminology," Foles said. "But that's the fun of it. I get to learn more football."

It'll be awhile before Foles works with the entire group. First-round pick Todd Gurley is rehabbing from left knee surgery and is getting limited work on the side, but might not be ready for the start of the season.

Fisher said the former Georgia star running back was "very anxious and probably a little frustrated, probably deep down inside not very happy right now."

"You know how it is sitting out for a long time," Gurley said, "but I've got to be patient. I feel good but I can't play right now."

Foles hasn't forgotten the surprise of getting dealt for Sam Bradford in the offseason.

"I did not expect the trade and that's the truth," Foles said. "Once I started talking to coach Fisher, I was excited to get to know him because that's where my life was taking me."

St. Louis released veteran offensive linemen Scott Wells and Jake Long after last season and devoted much of the draft to the offensive line.

Tackle Rob Havenstein was taken in the second round, followed tackle-guard Jamon Brown in the third, tackle Andrew Donnal in the fourth and guard Cody Wichmann in the sixth.

Havenstein and Brown spent a lot of time with the first unit Thursday.

"They're going to do a great job," Foles said. "I remember my rookie year, what it's like for these OTAs. This is really the foundation and you're going to have those growing pains."

The players who spoke on Thursday said the possibility the franchise might move to Los Angeles at some point is not on their minds.

"Right now I'm here and that's all I worry about," Foles said. "That's all out of our control."

Fisher coached the Houston Oilers when they moved to Tennessee and said he'd rather not be apprised of developments.

"It's been my opinion really from the start that when all this stuff started happening I'm better off probably not knowing the specifics," the coach said. "That way, when someone asks me I can say I don't know.

"That way, I can say I'm telling the truth."

RamBill

Legend
Kenny Britt: Rams’ receivers love Nick Foles
Posted by Michael David Smith on June 5, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/05/kenny-britt-rams-receivers-love-nick-foles/

The Rams’ receivers have caught enough passes in practice from quarterback Nick Foles to know that they want a lot more.

That’s the word from Rams wide receiver Kenny Britt, who said he and his fellow receivers have been impressed with the experience of playing with Foles.

“We love him,” Britt said. “Great deep ball, he puts it on the money every time. He can throw every pass in the book.”

Rams coach Jeff Fisher added that Foles is already picking up the offense and making things tough for the Rams’ defense during the team portion of Organized Team Activities.

“He’s got his hands full because we’ve got great defensive team speed and they’re doing a lot of things over there right now,” Fisher said. “We’ve just really been pleased.”

The Rams pulled off a very big deal when they traded Sam Bradford to acquire Foles. So far, they think they got the better end of that deal.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Cool, thanks for the link.

For me the first thing that separates the WCO from a Coryell offense is the terminology.

The second thing is the running game. WCO/GB/Walsh are predicated on the idea that a short pass is as good as a run.

In the Rutgers article Cignetti talks about McCoy and GB and i'd love it if we threw the ball all over field, effectively, the way GB does but i doubt that's what Jeff fisher has in mind. It does seem he's partial to the Coryell digit system for the terminology.

It seems we'll be running, play action,, and the digit system. That sounds a lot like Norv Turner to me. Still, once the bullets start flying, maybe Cignetti turns into Mike McCoy...

I don't want to go too off tangent in this thread since it's more about Foles. But the Coryell terminology does allow for running any type of scheme within its route digits and whatnot. As to the actual strategy of those old 9er offenses I think we are going to see a lot of pre-snap motion, flooding the field with receivers, and some QB movement with rollouts, bootlegs, etc.

I've read so many times about how Foles isn't mobile, that he's a statue. But the tape says otherwise. The dude can move he just looks slow because he's so big. He's gonna be a nice fit with Cigs IMO.

You gotta remember that the Rams can talk all they want about how they're gonna go deep off play action. But this OL with a bunch of run-heavy blockers not to mention at least a couple rooks in the mix probably aren't gonna be put in that situation consistently. They're gonna run it well and take their shots downfield. But they're also gonna stretch the field horizontally and use their WR talent to break big plays just like Green Bay does.

I'm not bummed at all about that, either. I can't wait to see how they perform in those passing situations with 3+ WR sets.

RamBill

Legend
Foles taking charge of Rams
Sports Xchange

http://lindyssports.com/nfl/st-louis-rams/column/nfl-player-news/foles-taking-charge-of-rams/317980

EARTH CITY, Mo. — For St. Louis Rams quarterback Nick Foles, the last three months have been a whirlwind.

There was the shocking trade on March 10 that sent him to the Rams for quarterback Sam Bradford, followed by countless hours learning a new offense and new teammates.

Now, as the Rams opened their OTAs this week, he is on the field putting all that work to use.

“It’s exciting,” Foles said Thursday. “I was injured halfway through last season and just to be under center, it’s really a blessing. You never know what to expect. I didn’t expect to be injured. It’s just fun to be out here with these guys. We have a great quarterback room that’s really helping me along and helping me in the learning process. It’s just fun out here competing, making ourselves better.

“It’s a huge learning process and a huge relationship building process, but I’m really enjoying each day doing that.”

While knowing the offense is the obvious nuts and bolts of hoping to have any success, developing camaraderie among teammates is also crucial.

Said head coach Jeff Fisher, “That’s what he’s done since he got here. He walked in the door and he went out of his way to meet everybody. They did some individual things together. He took charge. In the phase one where the coaches can’t be present, he took the players out, the skill players and offensive players and threw and did those things. Since then, he’s been doing great. Everything that we heard is true, and I’m sure we’re going to be surprised as we move ahead with him because we’ve been really pleased.”

Asked if that relationship building is important, Foles said, “Absolutely. The way we’re going to be successful on Sunday, or whatever day we end up playing on, is the relationships. Come the fourth quarter, we have to know each other. We have to care about each other. That’s where you stick together through adversity. Just getting to know the guys in the workouts, in the film room, in the training room, whatever we do is a key part of it. I’ve really enjoyed it. We have a great group of guys here that love to work hard and love to have a good time.”

As for the challenges of building that trust, Foles said, “I really don’t think it’s a challenge. It’s just fun. It’s a day-to-day thing. It’s getting to know them. It’s getting to know who they are as people. It started in the weight room, lifting together, working out together, pushing each other on the run. Then when you’re going out here it’s just communicating. It’s all about communication.

“What they see on the routes, how they’re going to run their routes, what they see in the defenders. When I see my receivers run routes I can tell who’s good at what, so then you get an idea where to throw the ball to different guys. They’ve been awesome. The receivers have been awesome. They’re buying in. They’re working hard and they’re going to make some plays.”

Guard Rodger Saffold likes what he’s seen from Foles.

“He’s very boisterous, very up-tempo,” Saffold said. “He seems to be really excited about every day, about every opportunity, which is really good. He likes to uplift guys. You see him a lot around the locker room and hear him a lot on the field. It’s very inspiring, and that’s a good thing for us, especially with so many young guys. They need that.”

Of Foles, wide receiver Kenny Britt said, “We love him. He throws a great deep ball, puts it on the money every time. He can throw every pass in the book, every route tree.”

Last year, in his first season with the Rams, Britt was a guy that watched out for his teammates, always pushing guys to work. Now, Britt has been on the receiving end from Foles.

Britt said, “The chemistry has been great since day one. He’s a real guy. He goes in the locker room and pumps people up. If you’re down, he’s the first one to say, ‘You gotta go.’ It’s kind of exciting to see him in there and see how he works on and off the field.”

When it was mentioned to Britt that was the one to pump up the players, he laughed and said, “I know. But there were a couple days where I’ve been down on myself, not feeling well, and he’s the first one that comes to me and says, ‘I see it in your face. Let’s go. Can’t have that right now. It’s the start of a new season right now. Got to get it going.’ He’s the same as me, to tell you the truth.”

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Take the early impressions with a grain of salt. Good and bad.

Glad to hear the Rams are speaking highly, if nothing else they are acting like true professionals.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Well the Offense could use another guy with some swag and emotion to lift them up.. I want to see the offense take the field with the same swag our Defense does. Having another Off. leader step up and take a role is not a bad thing at all, IMHO