Foles Making Strong Early Impression/Simmons

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Foles Making Strong Early Impression
By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Foles-Making-Strong-Early-Impression/6bf910e3-c86a-4fbc-a89b-502e4b90b08d

There have been a bevy of changes to the Rams’ offense since the conclusion of the 2014 season, arguably the most important of which is the trade that brought in quarterback Nick Foles. And given the unit’s early impressions, the new signal-caller seems to be a great fit for St. Louis.

“Things have been going great,” Foles said after the Rams' second Organized Team Activity on Thursday. “We’ve been really getting after it. It’s a huge learning process and a huge relationship-building process, but I’m really enjoying each day doing that.”

Any time a quarterback arrives with a new team, there’s an expected adjustment period. Foles mentioned establishing a strong rapport with his teammates as a priority just after the trade happened in March, and he hasn’t wavered since. While some might see it as a challenge, Foles said he just sees it as a fun part of his job.

“It’s getting to know who they are as people,” Foles said. “It started in the weight room, lifting together, working out together, pushing each other on the run. Then when you’re going out here it’s just communicating.”

Communication is one of the factors that made Jared Cook heap effusive praise on Foles. The tight end said that element is one of the best parts of the QB’s leadership.

“He’s cool as a fan, man. He’s everything that you want in a quarterback -- everything that you’ve always wanted,” Cook said. “It just feels like he belongs here, and it feels like he’s been here for a while, which is a good piece. It’s what we need.”

Cook, wide receiver Kenny Britt, and offensive lineman Rodger Saffold each described Foles as a positive, up-beat guy who knows how to give a teammate a needed lift.

“Those are good things to get from your quarterback,” Saffold said. “He’s very inspiring, so that’s a good thing for us, especially with so many young guys. They need that.”

Britt noted that the chemistry between him and Foles has been strong since the day the quarterback arrived.

“A couple of days ago,” said Britt, “I was down on myself, not feeling well, and he was the first one to come to me and say, ‘Hey Kenny, I see it in your face. Let’s go, we can’t have it right now.’”

“That’s how it’s supposed to be,” Cook said. “That’s exactly how a team and an offense is supposed to click.”

Head coach Jeff Fisher said everything the team had heard about Foles and his leadership was true, adding that the quarterback has taken charge.

“He walked in the door and he went out of his way to met everybody,” head coach Jeff Fisher said. “In Phase One [of the offseason program] where the coaches can’t be present, he took the players out -- the skill players and offensive players -- and threw.”

According to Cook, that’s when the chemistry between the receivers and quarterback really began to take off. The tight end said when Foles was leading the workouts, the signal-caller’s personality came shining through, bringing the unit closer.

“That’s what you like to see,” Cook said. “Just having a little swag, a chip on your shoulder -- that separates you from the rest.”

So far, the relationships Foles has built with the offense has translated well to the field. While it takes time for any receiving corps to adjust to a new quarterback, Britt said that he’s already gotten used to the way Foles puts touch on the ball.

“He’s not going to throw a fastball when you’re five yards down the field,” Britt said. “He has a sense of when to put a little bit of touch on it, and when to throw it in there with his fastball. But he can throw it all.”

“When I see my receivers run routes I can tell who’s good at what, so then you get an idea where to throw the ball to different guys,” Foles said. “The receivers have been awesome. They’re buying in. They’re working hard and they’re going to make some plays.”

Of course, Foles has some adjustments to make coming from the Eagles’ up-tempo, shotgun-heavy system to the Rams’ power-run attack. He said there are some similar passing concepts in the two offenses, though he does have to master new terminology.

“But that’s the fun of it,” Foles said. “I get to learn more football. It’s a great offense to play in.”

He’ll also have to get used to playing under center a lot more.

“It’s been a little while but I enjoy it,” Foles said. “Being under center and in the ’gun -- you have to be able to do both in the NFL. There’s different situations that you need both. I enjoy doing it.”

Still, Foles brings valuable winning experience from Philadelphia, where he complied a 14-4 record as a starting quarterback over the last two seasons.

“He’s been part of a successful offense,” Cook said, citing Foles leading the Eagles to the playoffs in 2013. “The things he’s learned there, he brings here.”

“I love that he’s here,” Cook added. “I love what he brings to us, and I love the fact that he’s just an up-tempo, positive guy. And just think, once he gets this offense down, and once we all get this offense down -- it’s going to be cake, man. It’s going to be cake. And that’s how it’s supposed to be.”

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow...lots of praises from Cook about Foles.. Strange how he said Foles is the type of quarterback he's always wanted..

I wonder if that is just talk or is he taking shots at Sam?

Regardless, I'm excited to see what Foles has!

Alan

Legend
I don't know whether to worry even more about our O-line being able to protect him or the possibility we have the 2013 Foles. Damn this is exciting!

MarkMyWords

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mark
Yeah, I like hearing about this stuff too. Something to be excited about and it's the time of year for optimism. Really love hearing about them working together during the off season building chemistry......

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Sounds like the players have been wanting a leader. Glad the Rams have one now. “He’s not going to throw a fastball when you’re five yards down the field,” interesting quote and interesting that many receivers stopped dropping balls all the time after Bradford went down.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
“He’s not going to throw a fastball when you’re five yards down the field,” interesting quote and interesting that many receivers stopped dropping balls all the time after Bradford went down.

What's even more interesting is that quote was from a WR with exactly 205 career receptions, and exactly ZERO from Sam Bradford...so it obviously wasn't Bradford he was referring to now was it.

FRO

Legend
What's even more interesting is that quote was from a WR with exactly 205 career receptions, and exactly ZERO from Sam Bradford...so it obviously wasn't Bradford he was referring to now was it.
Remember when Bradford praised Long and people were asking why he was dissing Saffold? It's the same thing here. Just because a guy praises one player doesn't mean he is dissing another. I think we should be happy Foles is doing well and is showing leadership abilities.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sounds like the players have been wanting a leader. Glad the Rams have one now. “He’s not going to throw a fastball when you’re five yards down the field,” interesting quote and interesting that many receivers stopped dropping balls all the time after Bradford went down.

Not really true. If you look at the numbers in 2013, they make it appear that way. The Rams' drop% was 8.0% as a team while Bradford was starting and only 5.8% when Clemens was starting.

However, the difference in the drop% actually almost entirely comes down to one player...Tavon Austin. And Austin wasn't dropping passes because they were thrown with too much heat. He was dropping passes because he was struggling with the playbook which had an effect on his focus and concentration.

If you remove Austin from the field, the team drop% with Clemens remains at 5.8% (since Austin had 0 drops after the 5th game) while the team drop% with Bradford at QB falls to 6.1%...a negligible difference.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It sounds like Foles has a stronger, friendlier personality than Sam. Sam was not so vocal with his communication and from this piece it sounds like Foles is a very vocal communicator.

It won't mean squat if Foles can't produce but I prefer seeing a QB that can lead and let his players know what is going on. The Rams haven't had that since Kurt.

Alan

Legend
On the other hand, SB was rarely able to throw a touch pass correctly. Screens, endzone corner routes et alia.

Big Willie

Starter
Maybe I am drinking the koolade, but their comments sound different to me. When a QB gets Kenny Britt out of the doldrums, he's taking the role as a team leader......and that's one of the things everyone thought we were missing. I hope the koolade isn't poisoned.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
For the sake of getting past the inevitable, let's just assume that every praise offered to Foles is an automatic slam directed at Bradford. That way we don't have to psychoanalyze every comment a receiver makes going forward. (y)

Big Willie

Starter
For the sake of getting past the inevitable, let's just assume that every praise offered to Foles is an automatic slam directed at Bradford. That way we don't have to psychoanalyze every comment a receiver makes going forward. (y)
Well said!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't have any desire to slam Bradford, personally. I rooted hard for him, but the dude just never could deliver. It is what it is.

Still, my hope is that Foles is going to be better than Bradford. Which is good for the Rams. Sam did not exactly kill it in those games he was healthy, after all. He certainly has a lot to prove in that regard and so when I personally hear that buzz from the offensive players it makes me hope they have a guy who can be the anti-Bradford... Come in the league unheralded and have an epic season of seasons but after a tough follow-up he's suddenly garbage.

I'll take that over a guy who came into the league as a number one overall but who could never play up to that status consistently let alone stay healthy. So whatever. Good luck Sam, but you're in my rear-view mirror and I don't give a flyin F what you do from here on out, just like I felt with many other Rams players who left this team from Kevin Greene to Isaac Bruce. Let's go #5, hope you effin kill it.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Well, let's just assume that every comment posted here is an automatic slam directed at Bradford.

This is RamStalk, isn't it?

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I like that Foles didn't need to be told how to do his job. He came into a new city and team and seems to be making the most of his opportunity here.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Maybe I am drinking the koolade, but their comments sound different to me. When a QB gets Kenny Britt out of the doldrums, he's taking the role as a team leader......and that's one of the things everyone thought we were missing. I hope the koolade isn't poisoned.
Yeah, they all sound very upbeat and comfortable with Foles.
Sometimes change can spark something great and you get rollin'.

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif