Foles / Bradford trade is now officially meaningless

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
The Rams absolutely lost that trade. Foles is a bum and we cut him, Bradford is still starting in Philly. End of discussion.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams absolutely lost that trade. Foles is a bum and we cut him, Bradford is still starting in Philly. End of discussion.

The Eagles had to sign Bradford to a free agent contract to keep him, paying him significant starter money. Then felt so comfortable they signed a guy who is very expensive for a backup because they don't trust Bradford to stay healthy and effective. Then moved up to take a QB of the future in the draft, trading two starters to get partway there, and a bunch of picks to move up the rest of the way.

The Rams used the 2nd they got in the trade to help them move up for the QB they wanted. So the Rams won the trade. End of discussion.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Eagles had to sign Bradford to a free agent contract to keep him, paying him significant starter money. Then felt so comfortable they signed a guy who is very expensive for a backup because they don't trust Bradford to stay healthy and effective. Then moved up to take a QB of the future in the draft, trading two starters to get partway there, and a bunch of picks to move up the rest of the way.

The Rams used the 2nd they got in the trade to help them move up for the QB they wanted. So the Rams won the trade. End of discussion.
THIS:owned:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
1. Does this trade have a winner?

Because Los Angeles acquired 2016 no. 1 overall pick Jared Goff with the help of Philly’s 2016 second-rounder, which came in the package with Foles, the Rams undoubtedly won the deal. How Goff’s career ends up playing out is beside the point; the expected value of a no.1 pick is infinitely higher than anything else involved in this trade. That the Rams were able to take some element of this disappointment and flip it into legitimate excitement for the franchise easily tilts the scales in favor of L.A. In essence, the Bradford-Foles swap has been rendered irrelevant. Both quarterbacks were bad in 2015: Foles had the lowest completion percentage of any quarterback starting at least 10 games, and Bradford’s touchdown-interception ratio was a horrendous 19:14. Needless to say, neither has much of a future in the NFL beyond clipboard-holding duties.

Yes, Philly. Sam isn't a bad QB, despite what this jockey wants to say.

2. What the hell did the Rams think they were getting in Foles?

They must have been expecting the Foles of 2013, when Chip Kelly turned him into a fantasy god. Of course, Foles’s dazzling sophomore campaign — in which he threw 27 touchdowns and only two interceptions in 10 starts — turned out to be a bizarre anomaly. After 10 games with St. Louis, he lost the starting job to Case freaking Keenum. But Rams GM Les Snead’s rationale was at least understandable. If you’re convinced that Br

A decent QB that was meant to stabilize the position. No one thought he was gonna end up the way he did.

3. What the hell did the Eagles think they were getting in Bradford?

This is a bit more puzzling. Sure, Bradford had enough talent to be the no. 1 overall pick in 2010, but quarterbacks are almost always known commodities after five years in the NFL. A change of scenery doesn’t magically rid a veteran of his bad habits, nor does it spawn new abilities. By last March, Bradford had established himself as a weak-armed, injury-riddled passer, and that’s exactly what he was in Philly last season.

What the Eagles probably didn’t realize they were getting was a malcontentwho’d make things as awkward as possible with rookie Carson Wentz.

A former 1st round QB that had bad luck to injures, but had a good 2012 and was off to his best season in 2013.

4. So, what sort of ripple effect did the Bradford-Foles trade have for the Eagles and the Rams?

Well, for starters, both teams surrendered a boatload of picks in this year’s draft to move up for a quarterback, which is all you really need to know about how this deal turned out. Despite leading the Eagles to winning seasons in his first two years at the helm in Philly, Kelly got canned before 2015 even ended, and the Rams up and left St. Louis for the smoggier pastures of L.A.

Huh? What does the relocation and firing a head coach have to do w/ anything? This is just random shit taking up bandwith.

5. Did anyone survive the Great Mediocre QB Swap of 2015?

Snead’s magnificent head of hair did, because waves don’t die. And Rams coach/zombie Jeff Fisher is still kicking around, waiting for another chance to go 8–8.

Cool story.

The writer's an outright LIAR. The Bradford/Foles trade was NEVER hyped as a blockbuster. Just some more lazy, insincere journalism. Oh well, Millenials, sigh...

As a millennial, I detest this statement.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, Philly. Sam isn't a bad QB, despite what this jockey wants to say.

A decent QB that was meant to stabilize the position. No one thought he was gonna end up the way he did.

A former 1st round QB that had bad luck to injures, but had a good 2012 and was off to his best season in 2013.

Huh? What does the relocation and firing a head coach have to do w/ anything? This is just random crap taking up bandwith.

Cool story.

As a millennial, I detest this statement.

yeah, I didn't post that...It was added by another with moderator powers

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Except the Rams wound up with a pick that they needed to get their franchise QB and a butt load of cash to boot!
Rams win!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The writer's an outright LIAR. The Bradford/Foles trade was NEVER hyped as a blockbuster. Just some more lazy, insincere journalism. Oh well, Millenials, sigh...

After thinking about this I blame it on reality shows.

And I am willing to debate anyone in the universe about it............but I'll need a little help haha.

Name
rick
I'm with you Les, will debate it any day. The younger generation lacks common sense and attention span and has a general ignorance and disregard for what came before em. When we were kids we were Sports Historians. These kids probably don't know or CARE who Ken Stabler or Larry Csonka or Mike Schmidt were.

tempests

Hall of Fame

^ This.

Rams found a taker and a decent return for a QB that had missed 25 consecutive games, something I didn't think was possible. That's a win in my book.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
^ This.

Rams found a taker and a decent return for a QB that had missed 25 consecutive games, something I didn't think was possible. That's a win in my book.

Well, when you put it like that, tempests...

Kinda hard to disagree. Lol.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
^ This.

While i can understand your line of thinking, Sam actually played more games than Foles and the Eagles signed him for another couple of years instead of having to kick him to the kerb like the Rams had to do with slow motion man. If he plays well this season they may get a high draft pick for him in return.

Name
rick
Sorry guys. Was wrong for painting EVERYONE with a broad brush. However there IS a huge segment of the generation where the shoe fits. Ask anyone 50 or over. Don't care too much really but it REALLY shows up in journalism sometimes. I mean where in earth did the Author get the idea that Sam-for-Foles was touted as a Blockbuster???

Name
rick
And HOW IN THE WORLD can the trade be meaningless when it netted the Rams a 2nd rd pick??? Which was an ESSENTIAL part of the Goff trade. Terrible writing.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Well my point on that is The Rams would have won more games with San Bradford,so then the pick would not get you down to #1 overall.

--The Rams screwed up by giving Nick Foles a 2 year extension. I went to Vegas right after that instead of watch preseason. Nick Foles flat out can not hit a target. He plays hard & never gives up . He has way more passion for the game than Bradford.Just not the arm.

It is over now though . I like the fact Case Keenan got the experience he did.Who knows what his future is ?? He maybe the starter all season ??
The best thing is The Rams have Mannion & Jared Goff as there QB's of future.They both come at an very friendly SALARY for the postion.

--- The future for The Rams is great. The trade cost past victorys for future victorys.I'll take future victorys.

There is no way to know if Sam had stayed we would have won more games. Im not sure how you can say that with such confidence. . If he did make it to the Green Bay game uninjured whose to say that Matthew's cheap shot doesn't lay waste of him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If the Eagles go to the playoffs, NFC championship game, or SB, we lost the trade....plus the extra money we just gave Foles...sheesh...terrible deal...

I don't see it anywhere remotely as that simple 46.

First, the trade itself was two QBs that teams moved away from. The Eagles moved away from Bradford this year when they gave up near as much as we did to take Wentz at 2 overall. The Rams moved away from Foles with the move up for Goff plus cutting Foles last week.

So in terms of the actual swap of QBs it's a wash IMO. Both are JAGs. Bradford will never live up to his lofty draft status because he's got the physical but not the mental side covered. Foles will never have another great season because he struggled to understand the Rams' simplistic offense.

What the Rams WON with the trade:
1. Got out from under Bradford's cap hit (Bradford QBR 86.4, Keenum 87.7)
2. Got a critical round 2 pick in a deep draft, where many round 1 grade players were taken this year.

What the Rams LOST with the trade:
1. The decision to sign Foles before the season was dumb, a move of desperation based on expectations.

So personally I don't care how anyone "grades" that trade because I like what they did overall outside of the extension of Nick before he'd taken a snap. And that really shouldn't be included in the trade itself, just putting it there for discussion. Bottom line for me is that trade represented Fisher FINALLY moving on from the QB who he had such high hopes in.

The key for me and only thing that matters is whether they hit on Goff. If they did, it's all gravy and this team will go on to win a metric butt ton of games, and someday that trade will be listed as the catalyst for the Rams finding their next great QB.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Except the Rams wound up with a pick that they needed to get their franchise QB and a butt load of cash to boot!
Rams win!

Our new "franchise QB" hasn't taken a single snap in the NFL yet. I hope he does become that guy for us, as he has a lot more to work with than Bradford did when we took him, but it still remains to be seen. I'm just a bit skeptical of announcing someone the savior before they have proven anything.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame

At least Bradford was worth signing. We cut Foles, big difference. And keep in mind, we traded alot of our own premium picks to get Goff, not just that 2nd rounder.