Foles / Bradford trade is now officially meaningless

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Picture Sam Bradford entering Eagles Camp in a "boot"....Dude cannot be durable, even before a single hit in 2016. I know we just cut Nick Foles after just one year, but we did essentially dump Sam Bradford's injury history and that contract, for a 2nd round pick, which we used to move up for Jared Goff this year....:rockon:

---

https://theringer.com/nick-foles-sam-bradford-trade-meaningless-nfl-4b5f26a2a72#.5l7h9zqsw

The Rams’ unceremonious release of Nick Foles on Wednesday marked the end of a short-lived and futile era. We have now reached the conclusion of last year’s confusing Foles–Sam Bradford trade, which somehow makes even less sense in hindsight. Although it feels overly generous to call the deal “influential,” just about everything has changed for the Eagles and the Rams since that fateful day in March 2015. It was the John Carter of trades: hyped as a blockbuster, but destined to bomb spectacularly. With the two centerpieces of this embarrassing trade now firmly in the rear-view mirrors of their respective franchises, now seems as good a time as any to sort through the burning questions left in its wake.

1. Does this trade have a winner?

Because Los Angeles acquired 2016 no. 1 overall pick Jared Goff with the help of Philly’s 2016 second-rounder, which came in the package with Foles, the Rams undoubtedly won the deal. How Goff’s career ends up playing out is beside the point; the expected value of a no.1 pick is infinitely higher than anything else involved in this trade. That the Rams were able to take some element of this disappointment and flip it into legitimate excitement for the franchise easily tilts the scales in favor of L.A. In essence, the Bradford-Foles swap has been rendered irrelevant. Both quarterbacks were bad in 2015: Foles had the lowest completion percentage of any quarterback starting at least 10 games, and Bradford’s touchdown-interception ratio was a horrendous 19:14. Needless to say, neither has much of a future in the NFL beyond clipboard-holding duties.

2. What the hell did the Rams think they were getting in Foles?

They must have been expecting the Foles of 2013, when Chip Kelly turned him into a fantasy god. Of course, Foles’s dazzling sophomore campaign — in which he threw 27 touchdowns and only two interceptions in 10 starts — turned out to be a bizarre anomaly. After 10 games with St. Louis, he lost the starting job to Case freaking Keenum. But Rams GM Les Snead’s rationale was at least understandable. If you’re convinced that Bradford is unsalvageable, as Snead presumably was, why not just take whatever you can get for him?

3. What the hell did the Eagles think they were getting in Bradford?

This is a bit more puzzling. Sure, Bradford had enough talent to be the no. 1 overall pick in 2010, but quarterbacks are almost always known commodities after five years in the NFL. A change of scenery doesn’t magically rid a veteran of his bad habits, nor does it spawn new abilities. By last March, Bradford had established himself as a weak-armed, injury-riddled passer, and that’s exactly what he was in Philly last season.

What the Eagles probably didn’t realize they were getting was a malcontentwho’d make things as awkward as possible with rookie Carson Wentz.

4. So, what sort of ripple effect did the Bradford-Foles trade have for the Eagles and the Rams?

Well, for starters, both teams surrendered a boatload of picks in this year’s draft to move up for a quarterback, which is all you really need to know about how this deal turned out. Despite leading the Eagles to winning seasons in his first two years at the helm in Philly, Kelly got canned before 2015 even ended, and the Rams up and left St. Louis for the smoggier pastures of L.A.

5. Did anyone survive the Great Mediocre QB Swap of 2015?

Snead’s magnificent head of hair did, because waves don’t die. And Rams coach/zombie Jeff Fisher is still kicking around, waiting for another chance to go 8–8.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Like I said CGI, I heard this from a Philly Sports station, that talks Eagles football incessantly. The FANATIC 97.5, has been talking about Sam Bradford coming to camp in a BOOT. They were also saying, that Bradford will only regress this year, because there is no healthier time for a player, than right now...He will only get more banged up from here.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It's not meaning less, the additional 2nd round draft selection the Rams acquired in that trade gave them the extra edge to move up 14 slots in order to draft Jared Goff...Sometimes it's the little things that make the difference.
images

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's not meaning less, the additional 2nd round draft selection the Rams acquired in that trade gave them the extra edge to move up 14 slots in order to draft Jared Goff...Sometimes it's the little things that make the difference.
That was CGI's addition, I don't think that 2nd rounder was meaningles

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
That was CGI's addition, I don't think that 2nd rounder was meaningles
Well my point on that is The Rams would have won more games with San Bradford,so then the pick would not get you down to #1 overall.

--The Rams screwed up by giving Nick Foles a 2 year extension. I went to Vegas right after that instead of watch preseason. Nick Foles flat out can not hit a target. He plays hard & never gives up . He has way more passion for the game than Bradford.Just not the arm.

It is over now though . I like the fact Case Keenan got the experience he did.Who knows what his future is ?? He maybe the starter all season ??
The best thing is The Rams have Mannion & Jared Goff as there QB's of future.They both come at an very friendly SALARY for the postion.

--- The future for The Rams is great. The trade cost past victorys for future victorys.I'll take future victorys.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Man, that piece by Matt Borcas was a little harsh. Lol.

I'll just leave it at that.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If the Eagles go to the playoffs, NFC championship game, or SB, we lost the trade....plus the extra money we just gave Foles...sheesh...terrible deal...

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Eagles go to the playoffs, NFC championship game, or SB, we lost the trade....plus the extra money we just gave Foles...sheesh...terrible deal...
Only if the Eagles go to the NFC Championship game with Sam Bradford at the helm....which I would say is about as likely as a PowerBall Lotto win....

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The Eagles have so much faith in that they signed a very expensive backup for him, and then traded a bunch of picks for their QB of the future.

They were so impressed with him and his ability to stay healthy that they made it clear he wasn't in their long term plans. They WERE somewhat better in 2015 than they would have been with Foles, but not close to the playoffs.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
As long as Goff is in Horns, it will never be meaningless.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Like I said CGI, I heard this from a Philly Sports station, that talks Eagles football incessantly. The FANATIC 97.5, has been talking about Sam Bradford coming to camp in a BOOT. They were also saying, that Bradford will only regress this year, because there is no healthier time for a player, than right now...He will only get more banged up from here.

If he's in a walking boot, somebody will print something about it. I just couldn't find it!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Remember when it was said that Washington "won" the trade that netted them RGIII and his OROY??
Then it was the Rams who "won" the trade when he busted?
With Cousins emergence, it may just be a draw. History has a nasty habit of constantly changing eh?
All I can say is that the Rams won because the Fisher/Snead Era was never going to flourish while being saddled with SB. Now we get that chance with Goff
When he wins league and SB MVP there wont be any discussion about whether this was a good move or not

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
If he's in a walking boot, somebody will print something about it. I just couldn't find it!
They keep showing him in camp, and I haven't seen a boot. I mean, who cares now anyway. We are moving on, and hopefully up, and I could care less about the Eagles.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Not really, it opened up a good amount of cap space for us to re-sign some FAs in 2015.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Picture Sam Bradford entering Eagles Camp in a "boot"....Dude cannot be durable, even before a single hit in 2016. I know we just cut Nick Foles after just one year, but we did essentially dump Sam Bradford's injury history and that contract, for a 2nd round pick, which we used to move up for Jared Goff this year....:rockon:

did you see him get monstered the whole season last year? he was still standing at the end. question his playing ability all you want but don't question his toughness. too bad he couldn't stay healthy for the rams. a shove and a touch kept him out for 2 seasons. he was hit hard almost every play last year yet managed to play 14 games. life's not fair for the rams. hopefully goff makes it fair.

Name
rick
The writer's an outright LIAR. The Bradford/Foles trade was NEVER hyped as a blockbuster. Just some more lazy, insincere journalism. Oh well, Millenials, sigh...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The writer's an outright LIAR. The Bradford/Foles trade was NEVER hyped as a blockbuster. Just some more lazy, insincere journalism. Oh well, Millenials, sigh...

Exactly!!! It was a yawner for the most part!

Clearly the Rams got the better end of this, anyone saying otherwise is carrying an agenda.