Fmr Browns coach Rutigliano: "relaxing NFL rules on marijuana would be a 'catastrophe"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
There's physical and mental addiction. Mental is obviously in your head, and physical obviously with your body (having physical symptoms)... Both are hard to beat, physical usually required detoxification as well.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
There's physical and mental addiction. Mental is obviously in your head, and physical obviously with your body (having physical symptoms)... Both are hard to beat, physical usually required detoxification as well.
And that's where it becomes semantics I think. "Addiction" to video games, sex, gambling or Rams on Demand would be mental only. Then it becomes a matter as to whether you really count those as addictions. I don't. Some do.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
There are two kinds of addiction. Physical and mental. It becomes a mental addiction. It wasn't that way with the FPS but the role play game was an addiction.

Edit: Just read Coconuts reply. Yes mental addiction does not require detox but it is tough to stop.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Really I could give a damn if pots addictive,cigarettes clearly are and kill the fuck out of people last figure I heard was about 400K /year and they are LEGAL
Alcohol is ,about 90K /year there and we know we aint gonna make that illegal AGAIN.
Protecting people from themselves is bad governance, the only reason the league bans it is because it's illegal otherwise my argument would be just as specious though.

bluecoconuts

Legend
And that's where it becomes semantics I think. "Addiction" to video games, sex, gambling or Rams on Demand would be mental only. Then it becomes a matter as to whether you really count those as addictions. I don't. Some do.

I would agree those are mental, however I believe scientifically they say mental addictions count just the same. Addiction in its definition is something that affects the brain reward/motivation areas.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I would agree those are mental, however I believe scientifically they say mental addictions count just the same. Addiction in its definition is something that affects the brain reward/motivation areas.
And I would say that definition is flawed and those aren't addictions because they lack the outside chemical that the body becomes dependent on. And so on that, we're at an impasse.

IMO, the key argument is whether or not such "addiction" is the fault of whatever someone is "addicted" to, or the fault of the person, because it's allegations of the former which have turned this into such a pet peeve of mine. I seriously think someone subscribing to the former theory could make a case that this board is addictive because if you make posts and get likes, it makes your amount of imaginary money go up and people get hooked.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I guess we are at an impasse. Manipulation of the brain is a powerful thing. Charles Manson manipulated people into killing for him. James Jones manipulated people to move away and worship him and ultimately commit mass suicide...children and all.

The video game model is doing the same thing. I knew plenty of people that lost their jobs and marauges over video game addiction.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I guess we are at an impasse. Manipulation of the brain is a powerful thing. Charles Manson manipulated people into killing for him. James Jones manipulated people to move away and worship him and ultimately commit mass suicide...children and all.

The video game model is doing the same thing. I knew plenty of people that lost their jobs and marauges over video game addiction.
Oh, I can readily concede the idea that people have lost their jobs and marriages because they let video games get out of hand. I just don't classify that as "addiction", or view it as the fault of video games at all. There are literally MILLIONS of people who play games responsibly and DON'T have these problems.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Millions take OxyContin without becoming addicted too. Millions smoke weed without becoming addicted, ditto for alcohol.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Millions take OxyContin without becoming addicted too. Millions smoke weed without becoming addicted, ditto for alcohol.
Those introduce external chemicals to the body which the body can become dependent on. With video games, no external chemicals, hence no addiction. Just isolated people who let a hobby get out of hand. And I would think the percentages of regular consumers of those things listed above who become addicted would be a lot higher than those who let a hobby get out of hand.

But, as was said, impasse. I know you disagree. I know "professionals" disagree and make a lot of money out of said disagreement.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Hoarders are addicted to stuff. Sex addiction is real. Serial killing. Addiction is more mental than it is physical. That is why I can drink Scotch twice a month without becoming addicted to it.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Hoarders are addicted to stuff. Sex addiction is real. Serial killing. Addiction is more mental than it is physical. That is why I can drink Scotch twice a month without becoming addicted to it.
But that becomes a circular argument. It presumes that addiction includes that mental fixation. I don't think it does. Thus, it's semantics. Thus... impasse.

Let me ask this: Do you think these things that people can become "mentally addicted" to should be blamed for said "addiction"? Should they be regulated to "protect" society from them?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Well of course not. The drugs are not to blame for the addiction either. It is the individual that has the inclination for the addiction. The need to feel good, or numb. The need to escape reality comes from the individual. With my medical history I can assure you that I have had practically every pain killer known to man. I am not addicted to any of them. In fact I tried to put up with the pain when it was possible because I hate feeling doped up. I don't understand how anyone can enjoy the feeling that Percoset gives me. Now Morphene felt wonderful for a few seconds and then I fell asleep. It took the pain away but I didn't seek it out after leaving the hospital. The addiction is mental for any addict first, before it becomes physical, unless they get into something very hard like heroine and that rarely happens as a first drug. Their addiction and need to chase the high usually leads them to stuff like Heroine, Crack, or Meth.

RamzFanz

Damnit
A couple of things:
1. There is no higher sense of entitlement among Gen Y and Millennials. Someone wrote a book (with no well designed, empirical data mind you) that said that the youth of today are spoiled and entitled. So there became a controversy. Then they decided to actually do well designed studies on the matter. Guess what they found (I already gave you a hint) there was no difference of a sense of entitlement among the younger generation and older generations. This is a common fallacy that has been studied for a long time in social psychology. Everyone thinks there generation was better. They just do. We have documents going back to Ancient Greek among the Sophists and Socrates arguing about the entitlement and willful ignorance of the youth. Every generation goes through it and thinks they are better than anyone else. The only generation in the history of anyone doing this research that might have had less entitlement was the so-called "Greatest Generation" that went through the Great Depression and WWII. And that was probably because they went through the Great Depression and WWII. Otherwise there is no difference among generations.

2. There was a study that there was a higher sense of entitlement among pot smokers. But it was not smoking pot that did that. It was the other way around. People who have a higher sense of entitlement are more likely to smoke pot. So it was not causal but an association. According to this study people who are entitled also like to smoke pot. Probably because those entitle don't care if they break the law (they may actually enjoy it). I'm willing to bet that if pot became legal like alcohol there would be no difference.

3. To @Elmgrovegnome the reason they seem so entitle, methinks, is because of the type of business you run. The type of business that you have is more likely to take manual laborers who are not well educated/have a sense of delayed gratification. Those people are more likely to be entitled, which is why you have such a negative image of that generation.

I love the greatest generation. My Grandparents were the quintessential Greatest Generation. They had some money after a lifetime of hard work, Grandpa worked in a nitro-glycerin factory pushing the "angel cart" and doing lead smelting, but they never squandered. My grandmother gambled for the first time in her 80's on nickle slots once a month with her Red Hatters and thought it was a scandal.

They had cooking pans dating from the 50's because they gave up almost all of theirs to the war effort. But they still had pans from the 50's. No need to replace them, Grandpa would just take them out to the workshop and grind off the age with wire brushes. No need for no-stick, these old pots will do just fine.

Those people were smart. Yes, it came from having to do without, but they were the ones who knew it could all come crashing down at any time. When you have next to nothing, you fix that pan or you have no pan.

They could feed themselves off nature and repair anything they owned. Nothing was disposable. When they died they willed cremation so they wouldn't be a financial burden on the people they gave their life savings to.

When they were starting out as a ticket girl and deckhand on a Mississippi paddle boat they were dirt poor, so my grandfather built a house in East St Louis out of cinder blocks and it's still standing today. He built it in his time off and bought the materials from finished new home sites and ran plumbing, electric, everything.

The reason they landed in East St. Louis is my Grandpa, who was from Morgan City Louisiana, got drunk and whooped a passenger's ass for being fresh with my Grandma and they were thrown off in STL. There were two things you didn't get between with gramps, one was his whiskey, the other got him thrown off a river boat.

So, you can blame that fight on having to put up with me.

True story.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Weed stays in your blood stream longer than alcohol because it is stored in fat cells. Point being; weed effects your mental functioning. If you've got a repetitive job it probably doesn't matter. If you are trying to learn something or create something, it will.

But from what I've seen, weed contributes to people developing anti-societal pathologies (i.e., "going crazy") because they aren't able to function in a manner that is productive. When I say productive, I'm not talking about hours worked. I'm talking about the development of their character. I'm talking about their ability to OWN their reality. When someone slips into a false reality brought on by drugs or self-illusion caused by thought they are essentially conditioning themselves to reject reality. As a result they will be in a constant state of victimhood and may find themselves at the mercy of others.

To all of you who think its harmless to smoke weed. Good luck with that.

Well said. However, you are deeming all humans exactly the same.

I have found through a lifetime of association and experimentation that there are many types of weed smokers just as there are many types of drinkers.

I agree that there are people who hide behind the high and waste their lives. People who choose to escape challenges through weed. So be it. I think they will escape anyways. I really have no problem with a person who CHOOSES to be an escapist unless he becomes a dependent on society.

They don't fight or drive 100MPH. They don't rape, rob, and kill, they just chill.

However, I know a lot of high energy and unique personalities that need weed to relax. A.D.D. and energizer bunny types that are brilliant but need to slow it down to be focused and productive. It's WAY better than Prozak.

If you want to see someone OD or fall over the cliff, look at prescription drug nightmares. It's not weed.

I think the idea of everyone having to be a financial success and a goal driven fanatic is just wrong. I enjoy people from both worlds. People who are just chill are often the happiest in my observation, when it fits them, and can be wildly contemplative and creative.

If I had to spend an evening discussing great things with A personality real estate agents or CEOs or at a bon fire with weed smokers, I'm taking weed smokers every time.

Worker bees are great and I love them. I am one of them mostly. Denying the contributions of everyone else is silly. Much of our greatest contributors to art and thought and life chose not to be that.

My vote is live and let live. And take a hit and see if it's for you instead of buying in on stereotypes. (not hard drugs)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Back to the entitlement topic for a sec......my wife is an RN. This year the local giant Geisinger Medical Center is deciding to cut back because of Obamacare. It doesn't matter that this Non profit hospital had an 88 million dollar profit last year. And it is so top heavy with administration that it should fall over, they are still cutting nurses and cleaning staff...no administrators though.

Anyway this results in a raise freeze for everyone across the board 1.5 percent this year is what they get. One of the new, and young, LPNs who was hired a month ago is angry that she doesnt get a raise along with the rest of them because the hospital set up a cut off. I guess she was on the verge of quitting over it, even though she didn't put a full year I yet she wants that raise! She worked a freaking month!

Thats entitlement.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Well of course not. The drugs are not to blame for the addiction either. It is the individual that has the inclination for the addiction. The need to feel good, or numb. The need to escape reality comes from the individual. With my medical history I can assure you that I have had practically every pain killer known to man. I am not addicted to any of them. In fact I tried to put up with the pain when it was possible because I hate feeling doped up. I don't understand how anyone can enjoy the feeling that Percoset gives me. Now Morphene felt wonderful for a few seconds and then I fell asleep. It took the pain away but I didn't seek it out after leaving the hospital. The addiction is mental for any addict first, before it becomes physical, unless they get into something very hard like heroine and that rarely happens as a first drug. Their addiction and need to chase the high usually leads them to stuff like Heroine, Crack, or Meth.
The drugs are to blame in a certain respect... if I am forced to involuntarily consume drugs, there is a chance I could become addicted because my body doesn't care whether or not I consented if it becomes reliant on the outside chemical. For "mental addiction", it's something I have to initiate and let get out of hand.

It's not the same thing. There are certain similarities, but it's not the same thing. It's just not.

Although I do get what you're saying about how it's possible to not become addicted to drugs. I was prescribed Vicodin for a while and hated that feeling. I ended up switching back to good old Ibuprofen ASAP (and that even only within reason) and didn't even finish the bottle (since it was prescribed 1 every X hours IF NEEDED.)